WHAT IF a military member has to Cancel Cruise for IRAQ deployment?

My husband and I are both active duty Air Force (he just got back from Iraq on a 6-month deployment) and we are looking to book cruises far out into the future to get some of the good deals they have...however, we can't predict where we'll be in 12-15 months in regards to war deployments....has anyone ever had to cancel a cruise because of a deployment, and if so, did the cruise refund you 100%? What kind of documentation did they need--just orders or what? Will airlines refund both airline tickets, or just the deployed member? Please advise if this was a huge hassle or not and then we'll just hold off on booking the good deals...thanks in advance!

Also may depend on the cruise line.... Carnival is very generous to its military customers in the way of discounts, so they may be accomodating. You may have to fax them a copy of your orders though.

we are sort of in the same predicament. My dh will be going to Sea duty within the year and we are PCSing all at the same time. And we have no clue where we are going etc... And we both know that the chances of him going back to Iraq are great.

Good luck.

I usually ask them out right if it will be covered. When we booked this one I asked if that happened if we could get our money back or atleast be able to change the passengers name etc... I was told to ask Princess directly and that it would more than likely be a case by case thing.

It may depend on the individual cruiseline ... but I guess I always believed that passengers may cancel without penalty up until the due date of the final payment, and may request in writing for full refund of any deposit/monies already paid ... unless, of course, you've already made full/final payment. If indeed that is the case, there wouldn't be any financial risk unless you also purchased air. Suggest you (1) contact cruiselines in which you are interested and pose the scenario and (2) as mentioned by previous poster, look for a third-party travel insurance plan that covers your situation.

What cruise line are you on?

This happened to me in 2003 when the war began. Royal Caribbean reimbursed me 100%

In 2004, my Brother-in-law had to cancel with us due to a last minute military deployment (1 week before cruise). RC also reimbursed him 100%

Regardless of the line you can always cancel up to final payment time and get a complete refund. Carnival and NCL offer the best miliatary rates and would guess if a service person get deployed anytime prior to cruising any line will give a 100% refund, but to be on the safe side, take insurance. I would think the best time to book is right now. You can wait til just prior to sailing, maybe get a good rate and maybe not plus you are forced to take whatever is available. NMnita

Thanks for all the responses!

I wanted to book a RCCL out of San Juan, Puerto Rico later this year b/c they are listed at $599 right now..and even better was the airfare out of Columbus...only $253 RT! A RCCL cruise/airfare for less than $2K sounds like a great deal to me, but always leary to book trips so far in advance w/the war going on!

Bengela

I purchase Travel Insurance, and am very unsympathetic to those who choose not to purchase insurance, need to cancel a cruise, and seek to get their $$ back.

However, that being said, if you are beyond the cancellation period (i.e., within 75-90 days of the cruise) I believe that ALL of the cruise lines, airlines, etc., will indeed reimburse you 100% if you've been called up for active duty deployment. That I believe, given the current world situation, is both fair and just, and an "exception to the rule” I fully support – however, maybe that's some of my West Point "upbringing" showing through also.

Our son, a Marine, went with us twice on cruises and both times, I took out insurance for this very reason. He did make both cruises but was deployed later with no cruises involved at that time. He is home now. I definitely recommend the travel insurance. TG23

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to share something I learned in case anyone else is in the same situation. After reading a poster say that the Ins. companies might consider a Grandson that was deployed to be in Residence in Iraq and therefore would not cover trip cancellation/interuption cost if something happened to him, I called and spoke to someone at Insuremytrip.com. My son is a Marine and deployed in Iraq. We have a cruise planned for July. My biggest concern is something happening to him while we are gone or before we leave. The person I spoke with at Insuremytrip.com said NONE of the companies would cover this because it is considered an Act of war and therefore will not cover. From the questions she asked, I think the only way they would cover this situation would be under the "pre-existing condition" clause because she asked when we made our first payment. The is just a guess. She did not tell me that because we are past the time frame for 1st payment.

Even though it will cost more I am going to call Carnival and see if I could at least get a credit for a future cruise if this happened. I would rather be out an extra 60 bucks than $2000.:(

I can only speak for Carnival but if you have orders and let them know as soon as you are on orders, Carnival will cancel your reservation without penalty. Don't wait til the last minute . I have seen this happen to 2 people that I work with and Carnival didn't give them any problems. One of them got orders 2 months before his sailing date .

first thing I asked when we booked our first cruise was what kind of proof would we need.. would orders be enough or would it be better to get insurance. We would have gotten insurance regardless but ours DID cover military orders.

I am running into the same thing.. he has 14 Days Use or Lose, and we want to take either a 5 or 9 day out of Baltimore this fall..anniversary is in September. Hopefully we will know today whether or not his leave Chit has been approved. but we just got to this command, so who knows...*sigh*

Archived