What has changed since Michel Rouix left

tcocktail

I know, I should not bring the food topic up but.... I was just on Royal Caribbean for the first time. Nothing to write home about. Many people I talked to stated that the food had changed. There was more frozen and prepared foods. So now that Michel Rouix is gone from Celebrity and Azamara cruises has started what is Celebrities plans for the future? How is the food right now on board ship? Has anyone seen any changes. I huge change they can make is to the food , it was all poached last year on the Summit and it was awful. I had reservations to the med on RCCL and now am changing back to the Galaxy for June of 08. Hoping the food will either stay the same or get better.

Thoughts?

We're booked in June 09, 2008 on Galaxy.....just wondering about the drydock situation:confused: . We're hoping it doesn't turn out to be like the Mercury repositioning this year, or the new Journey send off.

When in June are you thinking? I've already started a roll call...

Dave:eek:

I was on Constellation in March and Century in April. My understanding was that whilst Michel Roux has gone, the menus will stay the same for a while. I can't speak of June next year of course. A year is a long time in cruising, but I can't see them changing things around too much. A few new dishes here and there and I really hope they bring the nice touches back like the potato baskets and tied vegetables (I have heard that this was evident on a recent Mercury cruise). And if they decide to discontinue the goats cheese souffle, I'm going to stamp my foot and swear loudly. You might just hear me.

Phil

Remember how much you are paying per day on a cruise and what they allow per person per meal and you get what you pay for. It will be like a wedding without the bride and groom... Catering room food..

We're booked in June 09, 2008 on Galaxy.....just wondering about the drydock situation:confused: . We're hoping it doesn't turn out to be like the Mercury repositioning this year, or the new Journey send off.

When in June are you thinking? I've already started a roll call...

Dave:eek:

We are looking at June 20th sailing. I love the Galaxy but my big fear is that airfare is going to be so expensive we will have to look else where for a cruise. I was scheduled to go on the Galaxy in 06 and my colon ruptured. So we pushed back that trip until October 07 on RCI Legend of the Sea, but after being on the Empress of the Sea three weeks ago I am not going back on RCI for a while. Celebrity is head and shoulders above. So we are now looking at the 20th of June. Met those people that were on the May5th sailing on the journey and they were VERY content. They said the phones were not working and no water in the pools. But the food and service was excellent. I am not familiar what happen to the Mercury.

Remember how much you are paying per day on a cruise and what they allow per person per meal and you get what you pay for. It will be like a wedding without the bride and groom... Catering room food..

NOOOOOOOO, please, that is what happen to Royal it's hotel food or banquet food. I make healthy choices in eating but I always looked forward to Celebrity dining room. Let's hope they keep the refined atmosphere and quality of food

Mediocre banquet style food is also what my take on the dining on Celebrity or any other cruise line has always been. Specialty restaurants are better but I have never had anything that I would rave about in the main restaurant. How could you get something decent when you know it has been mass produced and sitting under heat lamps for excessive periods of time.

I suppose it depends upon your tastes and what you are used to. We have been sat with many people on our cruises who typically do not dine out at home and if they do it is at places like Longhorn or Outback for steaks. For those people I would have to admit that the Celebrity dining room food would seem very good and that is why they get so excited about it. For those that are used to fine dining when they go out at home Celebrity food, in my opinion, will be a huge disappointment (especially anything from the buffet). Chain restaurants such as Flemings or Ruth Chris blow away any dining room experience on Celebrity and those two examples are far from the best available restaurants in any given town. Knowing what the per diems are how could Celebrity possibly produce meals or even buy the quality cuts to match fine restaurants with their limited budget. You definitely get what you pay for and you are definitely not paying for anything better than an Outback or Longhorn - if that.

We just got off Summit last Friday, and we had new dinner menus with some new items and some old. The lunch menus in the dining room had not been changed yet. We were cruising with friends who are Princess loyalists, and the four of us were all very happy with the food. We probably had tenderloin three evenings, all excellent and cooked to the right degree for our tastes. Our friends had several lamb entrees and were pleased. Also, there were some new pasta dishes I tried and enjoyed. From my viewpoint, the salad course was and remains the weakest part of dinner.

Dale Jr,

You really hit the nail on the head, however Celebrity has in the past used fresher food and not as much frozen food. I was on Royal Caribbean and the food I cook at home is better. I don't expect high quality personally cooked fresh food in the dining room. They can do it in the speciality resturants being they have their own galley. The food has certainly declined since Chandris started the company. They just need to keep their standards a bit higher then the rest.

I very often get the caesar as the salad course. We have become used to really interesting salads at our restaurants here at home, and Celebrity seems to mostly trot out the same type of salads my mom served in the 60's. And I would never ask them for a salad with tomatoes...no pale pink tomatoes for me.

as another suggestion to the salad issue, I (don't like salad anyway) usually order the cold soup instead of the salad. And of course a hot soup for the soup course. I can eat leaves anytime! But those cold soups are heavenly :p

As anyone been on the galley tour? The executive chief might give us an idea what direction Celebrity might want to go.

I went on galley tour while on Summit in Janaury. I did ask the exec chief about the impact of Michel Roux's departure. He didn't expect any impact. I inferred from his expression and tone that he didn't really think Roux has been all that important Celebrity's food product.

If you can be sure to take the Galley tour.

We were on Century in April & the food was very good. Same Celeb touches everyone so much appreciates. Muranos was exceptionally good--the best specialty restaurant we have tried. We attended a cooking session with the Executive Chef who is a lovely person. I specifically asked the ques abt the changes. He said he did not think there would be any great changes but I am not so sure that was the whole story yet to come! We'll be back on Century in Sept so can give a fair comparison..esp if it is the same Exec. Chef...

Mediocre banquet style food is also what my take on the dining on Celebrity or any other cruise line has always been. Specialty restaurants are better but I have never had anything that I would rave about in the main restaurant. How could you get something decent when you know it has been mass produced and sitting under heat lamps for excessive periods of time.

I suppose it depends upon your tastes and what you are used to. We have been sat with many people on our cruises who typically do not dine out at home and if they do it is at places like Longhorn or Outback for steaks. For those people I would have to admit that the Celebrity dining room food would seem very good and that is why they get so excited about it. For those that are used to fine dining when they go out at home Celebrity food, in my opinion, will be a huge disappointment (especially anything from the buffet). Chain restaurants such as Flemings or Ruth Chris blow away any dining room experience on Celebrity and those two examples are far from the best available restaurants in any given town. Knowing what the per diems are how could Celebrity possibly produce meals or even buy the quality cuts to match fine restaurants with their limited budget. You definitely get what you pay for and you are definitely not paying for anything better than an Outback or Longhorn - if that.

I have to make comment here with the caveat that food is subjective topic, but I have always found the Celebrity food really good. I can only remember once that I had a poor red meat dish. The waiters (if you get a good one) seem to have a really good and honest approach to the items that are good and those that maybe aren't quite up to scratch and they have yet to let me down if I ask "is that a good dish?"

I'm not familiar with the restaurant chains you mention, but I do know that the dinners I have had had have been up there and in some cases superior to those I have had in restaurants at home and the service has been FAR better. It has been very much a case of the ambience too. You can't beat eating with a great group of friends and not having to put the stuff in the dishwasher afterwards.

Finally, I think you do the Speciality Restaurant a great disservice when you simply describe it as "better" than the main dining room. I have no hesitation in saying spend the extra $30 and you will absolutley love the experience.

Phil

as another suggestion to the salad issue, I (don't like salad anyway) usually order the cold soup instead of the salad. And of course a hot soup for the soup course. I can eat leaves anytime! But those cold soups are heavenly :p

Hi, I do enjoy salad.....but I must agree with you

about the chilled fruit soups:D I love, love, love them:D

Honey Pear is one of my favorites:)

Phil, Ruth's Chris is a Steakhouse with very good food.

It is also very pricey (in my opinion). The menu is totally

ala carte so as it says, you pay for everything separately.

I wouldn't compare it to the dining room just because

they are cooking for 2,000 folks. (But I, like you have always

enjoyed my meals on the ship:)).

But I would certainly tell you the Specialty Restaurant for 30 bucks

is as good, if not better than Ruth's Chris~(that is just one little

person's opinion.)

Oh, and Ruth's would probably run into 300.00 range..not 30;)

That would be with dessert and appetizer....that would be a party of 2 sir:)

Archived