Removal of Auto tips on P&O ?

NSWP

Reading the Princess section on CC, as you do !! Interesting to see a topic on new procedure for removing the Auto tip, like before you went to Pursers Desk, to adjust etc. NOW you have to go to another nominated place, go face to face with a crew member, fill in a form with questions etc, an inquisition, wanting to embarrass one I think.:mad:

Does P&O have the auto tip system in place, if so Carnival might change the auto tip adjustment process, like they have done on their Princess ships.:eek:

Anyway have a read of it on Princess section, interesting.:cool:

Reading the Princess section on CC, as you do !! Interesting to see a topic on new procedure for removing the Auto tip, like before you went to Pursers Desk, to adjust etc. NOW you have to go to another nominated place, go face to face with a crew member, fill in a form with questions etc, an inquisition, wanting to embarrass one I think.:mad:

Does P&O have the auto tip system in place, if so Carnival might change the auto tip adjustment process, like they have done on their Princess ships.:eek:

What's happening?

If you posted this on the Princess boards, you would have 50 responses by now. :D Was reading the thread last night. Will have to check it again, as I think it will be heated or off topic by now!

Yes, there is auto tipping and it can be adjusted or removed. Don't know if Carnival is planning the same interview procedure here.

Cheers,

Hi NSWP, on board the Sapphire in March, we were told......if people remove the auto tip.

the wait staff, and cabin staff have to report to their boss. to see what they were doing wrong..

I believe it is a passenger's right to pay tips as they see fit. not be told how much and how the money is collected.

Yes, P&O have an auto tip in place, at the moment it is $5.50 Aus per person per day. on Princess it is $10.00 US per person per day. some ships charge $12.00 US.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

Correct ARXCARDS that thread on Princess is 'hotting up.' Thanks for responses guys. YES, US$10 per pax per day, way too much, just making up the crew wage of course, we all know the background of it.

AUS$5.50, Thats more realistic. SO, suddenly when Regal Princess arrives with us on board, we in theory go from US$10 per day tips to AUS$5.50 with the name change to Pacific Dawn. UNJUST, same ship, same crew, more or less same level of service ?:cool:

Hi NSWP, on board the Sapphire in March, we were told......if people remove the auto tip.

the wait staff, and cabin staff have to report to their boss. to see what they were doing wrong..

I believe it is a passenger's right to pay tips as they see fit. not be told how much and how the money is collected.

Yes, P&O have an auto tip in place, at the moment it is $5.50 Aus per person per day. on Princess it is $10.00 US per person per day. some ships charge $12.00 US.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

I am happy to pay the $8AU per person on the Sun Princess in December, and may add a little extra for those that make a difference.

This is under the passage conditions when SP is sailing on behalf of P&O. Felt it a bit rude that our 13yr + 1mth old would also be expected to pay, but have now reasoned that she will be receiving service from the crew, particularly in the teen club. From 808N next April the Sun Princess "reverts to Princess Australia", and the tips will be $10AU per person\day.

Our tip bill of $288 seems reasonable for 12 nights. Have read on the Princess boards that an autotip is also added to all bar purchases. Is this the same here in OZ?

Cheers,

Especially if you were lucky enough to get the $200pp onboard credit as part of the deal...... cheers shiona;)

OK Shiona, rub it in. There were none of these deals when we booked. Maybe I should march up to the Pursers desk and demand to have our autotip removed because we did not get the $200pp onboard credit. :D (I am kidding - Wouldn't that comment go down well on Princess boards)

But we did get the last AB mini-suite by booking early though!:p

Cheers,

OK Shiona, rub it in

But we did get the last AB mini-suite by booking early though!:p

Cheers,

Hehehe:p....thats a bugger on the no onboard credits:mad: ....but great news on getting a suite.....:D ..... Re .....shhhhh...."posting comment elsewhere" i wonder what cruisecritic looks like in meltdown....:eek:...... cheers shiona

Most of the Regal Princess crew will remain as crew on Pacific Dawn, from November..

OK, now you dont have to be a maths whiz to work out with auto tip variations, P&O auto tip being approx half of Princess autotip, plus reluctance of some Aussies to tip the recommended amount anyway , all equals to the fact that Pacific Dawn crew will be getting half the wages they got on Regal, cannot see Carnival topping up crew wages with Carnival $, thats what the auto tip pool is there for, to top up the Carnival wage.

Comprehende? Going to be some mighty upset crew on PD I reckon.

NSWP I think you tweeked a couple of noses on that "other" forum :) I loved their comment about 'other nationalities' having to come to terms with the culture they are cruising on and just pay the tips !!! :eek:

Basically, I think as a first time cruiser I'll leave the tips on and give extras to any staff that goes above and beyond :) Afterall, I don't know what's good service, great service and really special service on a cruise ????

It seems too that one of their concerns if we take auto tipping off is that the 'behind the scenes staff' don't get a share if we specifically tip an individual front line service person ?

I have a query that I'm sure someone can answer!

I've read about the auto-tipping/personal tipping on some of the other boards (WOW that's an eye opener ... anyway). Do we have the same system on the Australian P&O ships where the tips go to a pool .... auto-tips and/or personal tips???

I know that we have a completly different culture about tipping - but just wondered what happened when we handed over that money?

Thanks! (I love these boards - I've picked up sooooo many things from it - and it helps me fulfil what my husband refers to as my 'obsession' ... cruising!!! Can't wait till the next one!!!)

NSWP,

You have a great may of putting your point accross on the Princess board, with a little bit of support from NZ and Aussie posters, On another thread on tipping a poster asked if the kids tip as well, they would have had to duck for cover with the replies, some of the posters even pre-empt what the OP was thinking, not what they were asking. The way some posters reply to threads on Princess just comes across as nothing more than boasting

Hi NSWP.. how's it down at the Bay today?

The topic is very heated over there, I felt like commenting but a bit scared!!

On our last criuse, Pacific Sun, our waiter said he was being sent to the Pacific Dawn, he was not looking forward to it because of the anytime dining, he will miss out on the tips he likes to get in an envelope on the last night of the cruise.

I think they should change the name "auto tipping" to "wage subsidy" which is what it really is. My assumptions are..if it was really a "tip", it should be seen as a bonus to the employee's wage for extra good service, not a payment they have to rely on to make up their wage.

Sue

Thanks P&O Cruisers, Sue, CruiseKidz, South Aussie 100 - fellow Aussies. Yes this thread on the Princess Section is RED HOT..FLAMING. !! I am not trying to offend the Americans, just spelling out some home truths..they find it difficult to understand the big picture of tipping through our eyes. I just get so frustrated. Aussiegal on there is doing some great work for us too.

Thanks to all for your support too, Sue don't be afraid to post on Princess site..just wear your bullet proof vest as you type!! I reckon the debate will go on for another few days, then Caroline the super moderator will pull the plug on it, fair enough too. CHEERS, beer o'clock

:cool:

Seadog46, where are you old son..get on line re Autotip debate.!!

Hi NSWP..

I think they should change the name "auto tipping" to "wage subsidy" which is what it really is. Sue

Well said Sue...... since when did tipping become a right and not a reward....

cheers shiona:D

Thanks P&O Cruisers, Sue, CruiseKidz, South Aussie 100 - fellow Aussies. Yes this thread on the Princess Section is RED HOT..FLAMING. !! I am not trying to offend the Americans, just spelling out some home truths..they find it difficult to understand the big picture of tipping through our eyes. I just get so frustrated. Aussiegal on there is doing some great work for us too.

Thanks to all for your support too, Sue don't be afraid to post on Princess site..just wear your bullet proof vest as you type!! I reckon the debate will go on for another few days, then Caroline the super moderator will pull the plug on it, fair enough too. CHEERS, beer o'clock

:cool:

Seadog46, where are you old son..get on line re Autotip debate.!!

no worries NSWP ! Wineo'clock here :D I think Aussiegal has her hands full there :confused: trying to put a point across. I gather it is a 'done to death' subject and I'm sure eventually all concerned will agree to disagree whole heartedly !!

Vanessa

The point is that some of the posters can't agree to disagree, they really don't appear to see the Aussie point of view. They use a term stiffing when it comes to not tipping. It is beyond me how a country has got away with convincing their people that suplimenting staff wages in the hospitality industry is the duty of the client, I'm suprised Johnny Howard hasn't cottoned on to that one.

They use a term stiffing when it comes to not tipping. quote]

It's just the done-thing over there. If you don't tip you get no/poor service. It's weird how selective it is there though. Restaurant, Bar, hotel, cafe staff etc.......but what about flight attendents? Checkin staff?

And what about the people who'e service really matters? Police, Ambo's, Firiefighters, Doctors, nurses, teachers?

Sorry, I got lost there. Sometimes there is no understanding people and their logic.

Terry

no worries NSWP ! Wineo'clock here :D I think Aussiegal has her hands full there :confused: trying to put a point across. I gather it is a 'done to death' subject and I'm sure eventually all concerned will agree to disagree whole heartedly !!

Vanessa

Yes, it is a done to death subject, well & truly.

Still it comes up there every 10 days or so. I'm sure many of the posters just paste what they typed last time! :D

Our differences with tipping are so major, that we might as well be posting a stubbies & thongs approach to a Princess formal attire thread! :D

Cheers,

Yes, it is a done to death subject, well & truly.

Still it comes up there every 10 days or so. I'm sure many of the posters just paste what they typed last time! :D

Our differences with tipping are so major, that we might as well be posting a stubbies & thongs approach to a Princess formal attire thread! :D

Cheers,

I can see it now, formal night on Caribbean Princess a table of Aussies, Billabong t shirts short & thongs (both male & female no discrimination) & stubbie holders at the ready.

I can see it now, formal night on Caribbean Princess a table of Aussies, Billabong t shirts short & thongs (both male & female no discrimination) & stubbie holders at the ready.

Roflamao, Love your sense of humour CruiseKidz!

Is it OK if I wear my Navy blue work singlet?

I don't want to risk getting the butter from the lobsters on my nice Billabong T-shirt!

Cheers,

After reading all the Princess posts, I formulated a response. If any one

is interested have a read of this

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=10681277&posted=1#post10681277

I have no problem paying for GOOD service, but I am not topping up wages, when we have to pay so much more. I asked Princess Cruises about the difference in the cost and they couldn't answer me. But I am going and having a good time anyway. It will be interesting to see what else they

"Australianise", because we are "Colonials" after all

After reading all the Princess posts, I formulated a response. If any one

is interested have a read of this

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=10681277&posted=1#post10681277

I have no problem paying for GOOD service, but I am not topping up wages, when we have to pay so much more. I asked Princess Cruises about the difference in the cost and they couldn't answer me. But I am going and having a good time anyway. It will be interesting to see what else they

"Australianise", because we are "Colonials" after all

Archived