Removal of Auto tips on P&O ?

NSWP

For goodness sake - I go away for one night and you let this thread be overtaken by nice people. Nice people aren't funny, you know that. :D

I think to be fair, even Americans are self-aware enough to know that they are pretty weird - some self-deprecating humour is even starting to creep into the tele imports (by the way, that thing they have where an odd little man in a suit talks about peace and freedom really is in charge, that's not a comedy satire show). I think this on CC is just banter, and the key difference between the Brits and roo-shaggers and the western colonials seems to be sense of humour - we would LOVE them to come back a bit so the craich would get even better, but with one or two exceptions they just sort of take it or ignore it or tell you gosh you're quite funny and ask another question about whether they have their favourite kind of raisons on the Sun or they can't possibly go, and by the way, they love their children, their country and where can they buy a big gun and some barbed wire.

Better shut up.

:D

For goodness sake - I go away for one night and you let this thread be overtaken by nice people. Nice people aren't funny, you know that. :D

I think to be fair, even Americans are self-aware enough to know that they are pretty weird - some self-deprecating humour is even starting to creep into the tele imports (by the way, that thing they have where an odd little man in a suit talks about peace and freedom really is in charge, that's not a comedy satire show). I think this on CC is just banter, and the key difference between the Brits and roo-shaggers and the western colonials seems to be sense of humour - we would LOVE them to come back a bit so the craich would get even better, but with one or two exceptions they just sort of take it or ignore it or tell you gosh you're quite funny and ask another question about whether they have their favourite kind of raisons on the Sun or they can't possibly go, and by the way, they love their children, their country and where can they buy a big gun and some barbed wire.

Better shut up.

:D

I love your work Happyscot. Thank goodness for those who think for themselves, love on the run, take responsibility for their actions and think their children are the future. What else is there?.....

Jennie,

On the other side, this thread started due to some obnoxious & arrogant responses from our American "friends" on a Princess tipping thread, and I can understand why many, including myself, are poking fun here.

Not sure this was never meant to be a reasonable thread, more of a parody of the Princess ones. There is far more tolerance & humour on this board, or this tread would have been closed down a week ago!

Cheers,

I too was caught up in that original thread on the Princess Board. In fact I think I was the first Aussie to try and show our U.S. friends why some of our patriots do not tip.

But that does not mean that I have to come down to their level when they start to use other means of trying to make us feel small because they cannot underestand our wonderful way of life down here.

I do have a sense of humour but I also have a sense of fair play and when I was reading what had been written about the Princess Board, I felt that we were no better than some of them and we were lowering ourselves to their level. :)

Jennie

I too was caught up in that original thread on the Princess Board. In fact I think I was the first Aussie to try and show our U.S. friends why some of our patriots do not tip.

But that does not mean that I have to come down to their level when they start to use other means of trying to make us feel small because they cannot underestand our wonderful way of life down here.

I do have a sense of humour but I also have a sense of fair play and when I was reading what had been written about the Princess Board, I felt that we were no better than some of them and we were lowering ourselves to their level. :)

Jennie

oh dear, it stopped being fun. I just thought it was a bit of a laugh and nobody really took it to heart ? I thought we were all just typing away madly at keyboards and just fuelled the fire that was 'DIFFERENCE' in opinion.

Fair enough! I didn't mean to sound like a preacher or a goody goody which I am not. I am on C.C. to help and learn from others who travel and if I can be of help to anyone then I have achieved my goal. It is not in my nature to be catty or mean to anyone.

I usually post a lot on HAL, Princess and Oceania Boards plus all the Ports Boards that we have visited, and if I can help anyone with my knowledge, then I am happy.

I don't usually come over here so I shouldn't be telling you what to do. My apologies.

Jennie

Fair enough! I didn't mean to sound like a preacher or a goody goody which I am not. I am on C.C. to help and learn from others who travel and if I can be of help to anyone then I have achieved my goal. It is not in my nature to be catty or mean to anyone.

I usually post a lot on HAL, Princess and Oceania Boards plus all the Ports Boards that we have visited, and if I can help anyone with my knowledge, then I am happy.

I don't usually come over here so I shouldn't be telling you what to do. My apologies.

Jennie

Jennie, Jennie, Jennie........ Please understand that I think everyone was just having a bit of fun here, the entire time I was reading through this thread never once did I think anybody said anything that wasn't in jest. These boards are extremely informative and yes very very helpful and sometimes there is humour included (should be more of it I think). Please don't take it all so seriously I think everyone was just having a bit of fun and definitely never intended to upset anybody. A sense of humour is what is needed by more people in this world I say - life wouldn't seem so serious... afterall we're all on here planning and talking about holidays and cruises for goodness sakes - we should all be happy and appreciate a bit of a laugh every now and then. :p

I cant understand why P&O and Princess insist on having auto tipping on their boats leaving from Australia and NZ. Hello it is not our custom to do so. If the need to pay their staff more increase the prices of the cruise ie by $10 AUD per day and remove the tips.

I cant understand why P&O and Princess insist on having auto tipping on their boats leaving from Australia and NZ. Hello it is not our custom to do so. If the need to pay their staff more increase the prices of the cruise ie by $10 AUD per day and remove the tips.

OH LORDY NOOOOOO !!!:eek: well said Esilef but I think it's a bit daysharvoo *spelling!!!***

Cruise Gypsy,

Thanks. We love your city. We were there last year in September on a cruise that left from Vancouver to Tampa via the Panama Canal and the Amazon. We have friends who live there and they took us to one of the seafood restaurants on the water. It was a lovely sunny day and we did enjoy the view, the seafood and the company.

Jennie

Jennie,

What a great cruise cruse - Vancouver to Tampa via the Canal.

I am happy that you had a good time in Seattle. I am guessing the restaurant you went to was either Elliot's or Anthony's. Both are on the waterfront and have great seafood.

I am fairly new to CC so the thread on Princess was the first time I had heard the tipping debate and I found your posts the most helpful in understanding the Aussie point of view.

Also, DH works with several Aussies at Boeing and he always has great stories. The other day he was filling up his water bottle from the water cooler when one of the Aussie came up to him and said "You don't want to drink that - fish **** in there, mate":D

Don't start me on AWS again after us all doing battle on the subject past week or so AND WINNING.

Anyway..not just cruise companies want your AWS. Got some papers for the precruise part of our trip..like shuttle vouchers LAX to Crown Plaza Hotel, Beverly Hills, Bev Hills to LAX and later on LAX to San Pedro for ship. YES..imprinted on shuttle vouchers..SUGGESTED GRATUITIES to driver.US$ 1 per bag. !! Bet they only stick that line on for non US pax.

Such is life in the USA, born to tip, sorry give AWS.

PS Another question from CC Princess boards.. "Do you get ice and lemon in your iced tea on Princess? !@#$%^&*( YES SIR.!!!

Cheers:cool:

Don't start me on AWS again after us all doing battle on the subject past week or so AND WINNING.

Anyway..not just cruise companies want your AWS. Got some papers for the precruise part of our trip..like shuttle vouchers LAX to Crown Plaza Hotel, Beverly Hills, Bev Hills to LAX and later on LAX to San Pedro for ship. YES..imprinted on shuttle vouchers..SUGGESTED GRATUITIES to driver.US$ 1 per bag. !! Bet they only stick that line on for non US pax.

Such is life in the USA, born to tip, sorry give AWS.

PS Another question from CC Princess boards.. "Do you get ice and lemon in your iced tea on Princess? !@#$%^&*( YES SIR.!!!

Cheers:cool:

At least you get to throw your coins at them for this one. Maybe you can get out of it by asking them to put it on your onboard account.

One that is no longer there .. the one about the Bermuda shorts in the dining room .... overheated & went poof today. Am disappointed to lose the picture of happyscot's happypants. :( Even the yanks thought the writing was on the wall, and were daring each other to start a smuggling alcohol thread. Maybe we are having an effect on them after all. :rolleyes:

HI...No this one wasn't moved...it was REmoved!! Oh well..just trying to figure out what upset the hierarchy!!

I do hope starman can get his vocation of choice, and didn't want to chat over his thread any further, so chose to reply here. Some of the hierarchy might be enjoying these posts, but if any of our newfound US buddies feel offended & report the post, they will be obliged to act.

Do the pragmatic thing and reason as to where Cruise Critic makes it's money, and it may be clearer to why any controversial non US posts are removed quickly on those boards.

Now to start work on our cruise shirts (see attachment)

Cheers,

At least you get to throw your coins at them for this one. Maybe you can get out of it by asking them to put it on your onboard account.

One that is no longer there .. the one about the Bermuda shorts in the dining room .... overheated & went poof today. Am disappointed to lose the picture of happyscot's happypants. :( Even the yanks thought the writing was on the wall, and were daring each other to start a smuggling alcohol thread. Maybe we are having an effect on them after all. :rolleyes:

I do hope starman can get his vocation of choice, and didn't want to chat over his thread any further, so chose to reply here. Some of the hierarchy might be enjoying these posts, but if any of our newfound US buddies feel offended & report the post, they will be obliged to act.

Do the pragmatic thing and reason as to where Cruise Critic makes it's money, and it may be clearer to why any controversial non US posts are removed quickly on those boards.

Now to start work on our cruise shirts (see attachment)

Cheers,

ohh you are terrible muriel!!!:D :D

Jennie,Also, DH works with several Aussies at Boeing and he always has great stories. The other day he was filling up his water bottle from the water cooler when one of the Aussie came up to him and said "You don't want to drink that - fish **** in there, mate":D

That is an old W.C. Fields line. He actually used the word fornicate, so they have have changed it. He said "water never touch the stuff, fish fornicate in it."

I wrote an article once about the theology of W.C. Fields. The line that got me started was, "Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I will have another drink." He certanly was a well known drunk.

I would never compalin about this thread or report it. This is a great place for rest and relaxation from princess. Just remember, many people from the US disagree with. Tipping is a hugh topic here. There could be a lot more said about that, but I won't.

Blessings, JIm

I would never compalin about this thread or report it. This is a great place for rest and relaxation from princess. Just remember, many people from the US disagree with. Tipping is a hugh topic here. There could be a lot more said about that, but I won't.

Blessings, JIm

Jim,

Aware of that, just a comment about the disappearing Princess posts. I figure they don't want us upsetting the locals, and risk them clicking money making links on other cruise sites instead of CC.

We generally shorten fornicate a bit. It rolls of the tongue a little easier!:D

Cheers,

Tipping Aussie Style.......!!!:D cheers shiona

Hey hang on a mo! We also tip that way. :D

I just found out on another board that American cruise PAX get off Princess $US200 on board credit when they cruise. No wonder they don't mind paying $US10 a day for dining and hotel charges. We got the little note with our documents this week to say its a discretionary charge. Well tell you right here and now, no bloody on board credit for us.....Thats it that will be my reason for having this nasty little charge REMOVED. Thats gonna be the first thing I do when I get on board. Seems to me fellow Aussie and Kiwi cruisers we are somehow being totally screwed by Carnival America!!!! :rolleyes:

Hey hang on a mo! We also tip that way. :D

I just found out on another board that American cruise PAX get off Princess $US200 on board credit when they cruise. No wonder they don't mind paying $US10 a day for dining and hotel charges. We got the little note with our documents this week to say its a discretionary charge. Well tell you right here and now, no bloody on board credit for us.....Thats it that will be my reason for having this nasty little charge REMOVED. Thats gonna be the first thing I do when I get on board. Seems to me fellow Aussie and Kiwi cruisers we are somehow being totally screwed by Carnival America!!!! :rolleyes:

Hi there.....couldn't help myself had to post the photo:D........ big thumbs up for taking back control of how and on whom you spend your money on your holiday.... have a fantastic cruise... cheers shiona

I've got to go and paint a chair, you all be nice to Lord S now please. He's very interested in tipping......................

:)

Sorry I missed this one. I was looking for a clear 40 acres to turn my Family Cruiser Wagonmaster Truckster around in. It's a "crossover", not an SUV, so I get carbon credits. But it's just as big!

I'm actually a Canuck, not a Pom. And descended from Scots, no less. More misreprentation! Bad Happyscot, bad. That'll cost you a pint.

I actually agree with you more than I disagree on the whole tipping thing. I think everyone wants the same thing at the end of the day, that is, that the crewmembers are treated fairly for the work they do.

Archived