Flying to somewhere out of England for Southampton Cruise?

My family and I are having a tough time finding a good deal on flights to London for our Southampton cruise so we are considering flying to other European cities and either taking a train or another flight to London.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to which cities are normally cheaper to fly to in Europe or anything that may help?

The cheapest flights we can find are around $980 and we are looking for something more in the $650-750 range.

If you fly to another city and then try to take one of the low cost airlines be careful as many of them charge lots more for luggage. So, you may think that you are saving money only to discover that you end up spending more.

If it was me I would fly directly to London and not go through trains, planes or what not to get to Southampton.

Keith

My family and I are having a tough time finding a good deal on flights to London for our Southampton cruise so we are considering flying to other European cities and either taking a train or another flight to London.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to which cities are normally cheaper to fly to in Europe or anything that may help?

The cheapest flights we can find are around $980 and we are looking for something more in the $650-750 range.

The train is not going to be inexpensive. Did you know you can fly directly to Southampton from several points in Europe? These include:

Amseterdam: Flybe

Brussels: Eastern Airlines

Dublin: Flybe

Dusseldorf: Flybe

Frankfurt: Flybe

Paul

Just be careful on the low cost european airlines as they do not provide the same luggage allowance as we are used to on the long haul flights. So depending on the amount of luggage you have you could end up spending a lot on luggage that exceeds the luggage allowance.

So, whatever you do, research your options very carefully.

Keith

As has been said elsewhere, I think your price expectations are unrealistic. Unless you get lucky, you are really only likely to find those prices in winter, when aircraft are flying pretty empty.

Hi ConstellationGuy,

You can fly into Southampton from many European hubs including Amsterdam, Paris and Brussels. The link below is to the Southampton Airport site. Most of the flights are with a company called Flybe, they do have a good weight limit on luggage which I think is 23kg. They do charge £5 per bag which is around $10. This price is for prepaid luggage, it is slightly more on the day.

You would have to check the prices for the Atlantic leg.

When we go to the states London tends to be one of the most expensive ways to go.

http://www.southamptonairport.com/portal/page/SOU%5EFlight+Information%5EDestinations+and+Airlines/

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

There are direct flights from US to Bristol Airport (Continental Airlines) then you could take a train direct to Southampton in an hour and a half. Also look for flights to London Gatwick not Heathrow, as they are cheaper. Southampton is 2 hours out of London in case you didn't realise. You don't need to go into London at all. Where are you travelling from?

Where are you flying from? There are several flights from USA to Glasgow, which has a direct Flybe flight to Southampton.

If you are from Florida there is a low cost airline called FlyGlobespan which has daily flights from Sanford to Glasgow.

I echo the Glasgow option. Flights are usually always cheaper from there and as the school holidays are different you can sometimes snatch a bargain when the Scottish schools have gone back ie mid Aug to mid Sep. And as in every case booking well ahead is key.

If you are on the East Coast of the US you can fly to Ireland via Aer Lingus very inexpensively from Boston. You need to check out one of the wholesalers for inexpensive airfare. Don't think we're allowed to publish them here, but you can e-mail me at bunkie103@yahoo and I would be glad to share the one I found with you.

I've been looking at your post history. Is this for your 28 July 2007 Navigator of the Seas cruise? If so, you are lucky to be able still to get tickets for as little as $1,000, wherever you are flying to. Booking so late for travel at a peak period, you may suddenly find that all you can get is business class or higher.

I'm with the previous poster, we really have to know your dates. But if it is July 28th, I'm suprised you can find tickets to book at all. Most airlines are flying extremely full in coach right now.

Yep. It is the 28th, but don't think we waited till the last minute. It was a last minute invitation from a group who needed a person to fill a room. So I decided I was going less than a couple of days ago. And I live in Florida.

You made my day!!!!!!

Thank you so much for the tip regarding flying into Bristol.

I took a quick look at Continental fares from my home in Kansas City, MO and they are VERY reasonable.

I am planning a cruise out of Southampton next July (2008) and figured I was pretty much stuck with London and a bus to Southampton.

Being a Yankee and ignorant of the UK outside of London (my fault), I never thought of another way of entry into the UK.

WOW!

I've been researching B&Bs in Southampton so now I will start looking into Bristol.

I want to arrive in the UK two days early and have some time to see new places and meet new people before boarding the cruise.

It appears as though Bristol will be a better area than Southampton but I will defer to you in case you have any other suggestions. Time is not a problem other than my big greyhound buddy in the doggy hotel back

home. <G>

Thanks again and keep the ideas coming.

Jim

If you can get to JFK cheaply then this might help you

http://www.flyzoom.com/

flights one way around $ 239 for the dates you need.

Yep. It is the 28th, but don't think we waited till the last minute. It was a last minute invitation from a group who needed a person to fill a room. So I decided I was going less than a couple of days ago. And I live in Florida.

If you live in Fl. please look at FlyGlobespan into Glasgow.

Beware of the initial prices, because up to $200 can be added for fuel surcharges. Here's what bestfares.com has for Miami - Heathrow on 7/29/07, returning 8/14/07 (you will also have to pay a $60 annual fee to join, so add that to the cost). This includes the fuel surcharge:

Here are the rules and restrictions that apply to this airfare:

Departure

Date: Sun 29 Jul 2007

Fare: $402 half roundtrip

Return

Date: Tue 14 Aug 2007

Fare: $372 half roundtrip

Price

Total (excluding intl taxes): $774 roundtrip

Advance Purchase: 7 Days

Earliest Departure: No Restriction

Latest Return: No Restriction

Day Time Restrictions: On Mon thru Thu

Blackouts: No Restriction

Figure around $800 total per person.

I just booked flights into London 2 weeks ago for August 4th. There are plenty of flights that still have seats but the airfare isn't the greatest. Another possibility is flying up to JFK on JetBlue or someone and taking a flight out of there, it can be a big difference in cost.

Archived