The Happy Wanderer---Swingin' On A Star!

RuthC

[quote name='tomc']Ruth -- I haven't forgotten you; I'm reading all the posts faithfully and figured I'd post when I could add to the conversation. Sounds like a great cruise.[/QUOTE]

Tomc, at a loss for words, lol. Oh my goodness....say it isn't so, lol. I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. You know I adore you Tom, and am one of your biggest fans :). Keep the review coming, Ruth :).

Marie

Oh Ruth,
Do you miss me at dinner commenting on what people are wearing?
Do you miss me at pre dinner cocktails?
I KNOW you miss me after dinner, giggling and enjoying the nightlife. Gee, you would rather have me for some of the evening, even though I go to bed before you do.

Hi, It's good of you to take time out to post, Ruth :) Great reports - makes me want to take that cruise.

How is the dining room situation, the 'L shaped' entrance and the 'main'. Hope you're at a fun table.

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]"Calm" also defines the evening energy level. This is one sleepy little ship. :( There's a few folks in the Ocean Bar (where the two dance hosts spend a lot of time talking to each other), and a few more looking out the window in the Crow's Nest. Then there's me, alone except for the piano player and bar stewards, sitting there enjoying the music. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Oh, well. At least I get to make all the requests. :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]Um, if it's so CALM at night & you're all alone & you didn't bring Greg with you, go make friends with one of those dance hosts. ;) I'm sure you can cut quite a rug. :) [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]ps - It's a date for next July. [/SIZE][/FONT]

Let me tell you about the last two days! First, we have had picture-perfect weather: blue skies, a few white, puffy clouds, bright, brilliant sunshine, and warm (approaching hot) temperatures. It has been gorgeous sailing in, out, around, and about all these islands and mountainous terrain.

Bronnoysund as a port really doesn't have too much going for it, but getting there (and sail-away) is worth it. I took a so-so tour that stopped at re-created Viking houses, and a small "modern" church where the priest (we would say "minister") told us about the history of the church and explained the artwork inside.

Others took a hike to that hole in Torghatten mountain I mentioned in my last post. Gotta luv anyone crazy enough to do that. :)

Today, in Leknes, Lofoten I had a nice tour which took us to a Viking museum which took my breath away! Literally. :rolleyes: A couple of busloads of tourists settled in to the longhouse for an explanation of what we could see there. There was a smokey fire in the center of this closed-up 10' X 30' building with a small hole in the roof to let the smoke escape.

No wonder the Vikings were considered tough!

Speaking of "tough"---last night about 11:00 PM ninety-one (count 'em, 91!) passengers lined up around the pool waiting for the signal that we had crossed the Arctic Circle. A few at a time they jumped in to complete their Swim Across the Arctic.

The pool water was warm---the air and stiff breeze weren't. :eek: I spotted one CC member (who will undoubtedly include this in her on-going thread) joining the "fun".

I promise no one spotted RuthC doing any such thing. :rolleyes: Been there/done that/ got the certificate. Not doin' it again.

Been there/done that/ got the certificate. Not doin' it again.
I figured you were waiting for the next port so you could take a dip in the REAL Arctic Sea! :D

So glad you're having no rain for your viewing and touring.

I thought I'd answer a few questions today---and in the process make this short and (hopefully) sweet. ----------

Yes, Adele, I do miss you. In truth, I miss having HAL-Pal's on this cruise. It's been so long since I sailed this solo and I guess I got used to meeting up with a friend at every turn. Adele, I have sooooo much to tell you when I get home. You'll get your supply of giggles then, for sure. ;)

tomc, yeah, I kind of figured you were along for the ride, but it was nice to see you check in.

Susan, I kind of like the view and the music in the Crow's Nest, so I doubt I'll head down to the Ocean bar just to get a chance to dance. :(

Mary Ellen, I managed to snag a "P" mug right off the bat! I wandered in to the library and noticed the daily quiz. It was late in the day, but I batted it out in a couple of minutes just for fun. The cruise staffer managing the desk gave me the prize to be nice.

I've also gotten on various Trivia teams and won twice, and made it to Name That Tune once. Yeah, my team won. :D

Someone asked about the C/D, so I thought I'd give a broader breakdown:

The Captain is Christopher Turner and I haven't even had a chance to meet him yet.

The Hotel Manager is Fritz Gehner; I said before that he came to the CC gathering for a few minutes. He seems pleasant enough when I run into him, but he doesn't seem to go out of his way to mix and mingle.

The C/D is Tom Faulkner. I like him. He has a dry wit that I find very funny. I see him sometimes at night in the Crow's Nest and he always takes time to chat. I also see staffer Sparky there most nights. We have a nice time together chatting.

We're heading toward Honningsvag in rain and what's being called "rough" :rolleyes: (7.5'-12' seas). Tonight at 11:00 we have scenic cruising---with commentary---at North Cape. With the weather as it is, and the early bedtimes for most, I expect I'll be the only one "seeing" anything.

Did I say "short"? :o

Speaking of "tough"---last night about 11:00 PM ninety-one (count 'em, 91!) passengers lined up around the pool waiting for the signal that we had crossed the Arctic Circle. A few at a time they jumped in to complete their Swim Across the Arctic.

The pool water was warm---the air and stiff breeze weren't. :eek: I spotted one CC member (who will undoubtedly include this in her on-going thread) joining the "fun".

I promise no one spotted RuthC doing any such thing. :rolleyes: Been there/done that/ got the certificate. Not doin' it again.

Yes, I tried to convince Ruth to join in the pool experience, but there was no convincing her. The same for Mr. Jones, James and Karen -- who thought that drinking a shot of Aquavit (sp) while crossing the Arctic Circle was an appropriate salute, while watching and laughing at those of us who did get into pool. But -- I now have the certificate and they don't.

Ruth,

We had Thom Faulkner on the Veendam last year when we did the Amazon Cruise and that is how you spell his name! It was his first posting as C.D. We also had his wife Tina as our Cruise Consultant. She often travels on the Prinsendam, she was our Cruise Consultant back in 2004 when we did the Black Sea cruise.

Jennie.

.................. Adele, I have sooooo much to tell you when I get home. You'll get your supply of giggles then, for sure. ;) ...............

Oh, c'mon Ruth!!!!:) Share with all of us! We could use some giggles:D .

Who's playing in the Crow's Nest? I loved it there on our cruise ... we went every night before dinner.

RuthC-

I am sorry I am so late in chiming in, but we've just returned from fishing in the Sierras with no phone or computers!!:eek: I am glad to be home and able to read of your travels on my favorite DAM ship!

Thank you for bringing us with you again!!:cool: :D

Ahoy!

Buddy Mitchell was 'tinkling the ivories' in the Crow's Nest in June. Thought he told me he would be continuing to do so until the Nov. 'drydock' but I could be wrong. In so far as the port lecturer goes, you need not attend the lectures since they tape them and run them 24/7 on the TV prior to landing at a particular port (or at least this was the case in June). We would eat a room service breakfast on port days @0630 and tune in the port lecturer to get the history, layout and advise on taxi's, things to see and misc. observations while munching on a bagel.

May everyone HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Bob:)

Keep the reports coming, Ruth! I'm stuck here in Texas, in 90+ degree heat and heavy humidity, and 94 days to wait before I next board a damship. Your "Happy Wanderer" report is a bright spot in my day. :D

Ruth,

So glad to hear that you miss me. I'm looking forward to lots of giggles when you get home. I can always use a good laugh!!!!!

Raining at the North Cape? That sounds familiar. I remember being there with you in terrible rain and fog.

Are the dance hosts alive and breathing and able to stand up? I'm sure they aren't going out of their way to dance with anybody. Don't blame you for staying up in the Crow's Nest. I wouldn't give up the view on a chance that s dance host might actually be able to dance..........

Keep the reports coming!!!!!!!!!!!! Adele

Ahoy!

Buddy Mitchell was 'tinkling the ivories' in the Crow's Nest in June. ...............

Buddy was there for us, too. I loved him!:) Ruth, if it's Buddy see if he's learned the Theme from Ice Castles ("Through the Eyes of Love") yet. He promised me he'd know it for our next cruise. It's "our" song ... the first dance on our wedding day. It's absoluely made for piano.

Keep the reports coming, Ruth! I'm stuck here in Texas, in 90+ degree heat and heavy humidity, and 94 days to wait before I next board a damship. Your "Happy Wanderer" report is a bright spot in my day. :D

Don't feel bad. I don't know when I'll get to board another "dam" ship. I have to go back to school in September for "re-training" cause my department at work is scheduled to be disbanded in the next year. Sucks. 18 whole months ... no long cruises ... at least nothing that can't be squeezed in during one of the quarterly breaks ... for that length of time. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived