Help selecting a European Cruise

Luv2CruiseOften

There are lots of choices, and it would depend on what part of Europe you want to see. Western, northern, med, etc. Take a look at the HAL website and look at the choices, it will help you decide.

We love European cruises, we'll be going on our second one in May (last year we did a Med cruise and LOVED it). Have fun deciding! :)

Whew! That's kind of broad. Can we try to narrow it down a bit here?

Do you prefer warm (Mediterranian) or cool (North Sea/Baltic)?

Do you want more sea days (relatively speaking)? Or do you want to go-go-go every day? How much history do you want to delve into? And how far back?

The Mediterranian goes back to Biblical/Roman times. The Baltic is rich with 20th century history, with lots from prior times, too. Norway is full of history back to the Vikings.

Did Your Mother Come From Ireland?, as the song goes. If so, you might like to explore the British Isles.

There are so many wonderful possibilities that it's best to decide on something, with the idea of making more trips in other years.

No matter what you choose you're bound to have a wonderful trip.

We just booked a 12-day from Venice to Barcelona for next May. It goes to 3 Greek islands, Dubrovnik, Catania, Rome, Naples, and Florence.

We wanted a little France thrown in there, but they didn't include it, but this itinerary had Venice and that was a good tradeoff for us.

Also, this particular itinerary has an overnight stay in Venice and Barcelona, which means extra time in the cities without needing a hotel room - another huge plus.

Italy was top priority for me (us?) LOL and so was Barcelona. The other ports are a great bonus.

There are lots of different itineraries for Europe...just pick the itinerary& length of cruise that appeals to you the most. We did a European Capitals cruise in 2004 & just loved it. It started in Venice & ended in London & in between was Dubrovnik, Rome, Monte Carlo, Gibraltar, Lisbon, Vigo, & Paris. What an intro to Europe! Next year we're doing another 12 days from Venice to Venice going the other direction this time (Split, Athens, Olympia, Santorini, Istanbul). I don't think you can go wrong with any European cruise. I would highly recommend going in Spring or early summer when in my opinion it is the most beautiful (flowers & trees blossoming). Have a great cruise!

Ahoy!

Sounds like a great idea to explore. However, a little more input is required for a response such as :

1. Time of Year?

2. Budget?

3. Time available to cruise?

4. Med or Baltic?

5. Preference for lots of ports or sea days?

6. Traditional dining or Any Time You Want Dining? (Oops, only kidding)

Personally I prefer if I had my 'wits about me' on my next European sojourn I would get on in Rome/Athens, do various Med ports (tour till ya drop) and then do a 7 day crossing back home to relax and ready myself for the 'return to reality'. The only advise I could give ya is DON'T TRY TO DO OR SEE IT ALL. Baby steeps only.

Whatever you decide, HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Bob:)

Like others have said Mediterranean cruises are port intensive. These are the type of cruises we like. We are itinerary cruisers. However, in a recent informal poll on this board experienced HAL cruisers chose the Baltic more than any other itinerary as their favourite cruise. It still is ours as well. That would be my choice. JMO

Where do you live ( I promise not to show up for dinner)?

Your screen name suggests you have cruised before. Where, for how long, which cruise lines? What did you love/hate about your previous cruise experiences?

Preference for warm, hot or cool temps?

Preference for ancient history versus natural beauty?

I think you'll end up phrasing your question.. which European cruise should we do first? We went on a Baltic cruise first and then two Med cruises. there is so much to see. You'll enjoy whatever you do and want more.

Personally I prefer if I had my 'wits about me' on my next European sojourn I would get on in Rome/Athens, do various Med ports (tour till ya drop) and then do a 7 day crossing back home to relax and ready myself for the 'return to reality'. The only advise I could give ya is DON'T TRY TO DO OR SEE IT ALL. Baby steeps only.

Whatever you decide, HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Bob:)

Hey, that's the cruise I am on....Prisendam, Oct. 30, 2008!

Marie

For beauty, nothing can beat the Norwegian Fjords, in my book. But the temps trend towards delicious cool with an occasional and unpredictable warm spell.

For warmth, the Greek isles are scenic and historic. Any intinerary with Santorini or Naples, Italy will put you in proxcimity of the Amalfi Coast, one of the most magnificent sea coasts, anywhere.

The Zuiderdam and Noordam will be sailing in the Mediteranian next summer. Both have fabulous intineraries and if you have the time, doing a back to back on either ship helps justify the travel time to/from Europe.

You can't go wrong with any of the ideas offered so far, but IMO as you state you have never been to Europe before, you may want to consider some of the less exotic/more familiar ports, eg Rome Barcelona Venice Monte Carlo Athens Gibraltar London Paris etc.

Do you speak any European languages? That could be a consideration too.

In any event have a great cruise and you are required to tell us all about it. :)

Cheers

Mark

You can't go wrong with any of the ideas offered so far, but IMO as you state you have never been to Europe before, you may want to consider some of the less exotic/more familiar ports, eg Rome Barcelona Venice Monte Carlo Athens Gibraltar London Paris etc.

Do you speak any European languages? That could be a consideration too.

In any event have a great cruise and you are required to tell us all about it. :)

Cheers

Mark

I agree with this. Is there a country you just yearn to see? For our first European cruise, we flew to Paris a week early and spent time there and in Rome before sailing out of Venice. We took the same cruise that Copper John is on now (but in reverse). It was an easy decision for us, as that cruise visited Cairo and I've always dreamed of seeing the pyramids. So if there's something you just must see before you die :p (as the pyramids for me), start looking there. The anticipation and planning is half the fun! I drove people nuts in the 14 months before we sailed! :o :D

Another thought for you. We have started planning a 25th anniversary/retirement cruise around this idea. We have traveled a moderate amount in Europe, but have not traveled around the Med area at all.

HAL markets a couple of 20 day cruises each summer, that are actually back to back 10 cruises on different routes. For example, next year on the Noordam, Aug 25 out of Rome. Thus you get a pretty thorough taste of the Med, if time and money allows.

Bruce

If you want warm weather and natural beauty over history I would suggest Western Mediterranean as a first choice. A second choice could be Baltic in July. That sail of the Stockholm Archipelago is one of the most beautiful in the world, IMHO, and it can get delightfully sunny and warm.

I have never been to Europe and not sure what cruise to select.

How much time do you have? I recommend the one I did this year. It is called "Meditteranean Enchantment" and is a 10 day roundtrip from Rome (Western Med). It ends up being a two week vacation if you go a couple of days early plus you fly over night if coming from the US. It it a great introduction because besides Rome, you will be in the ports for Monte Carlo, Pisa & Florence, Naples for Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast, Sicily, Bacelona. Other extras include Tunesia (so you go to North Africa) and Mallorca (part of Spain). It's a great introduction. If you have three weeks you can do a btb with the Eastern Med which includes Greece, Turkey, Malta, Croatia & sicily. We are doing this other half in 2008. The ship for 2008 will be the Noordam.

Another thought for you. We have started planning a 25th anniversary/retirement cruise around this idea. We have traveled a moderate amount in Europe, but have not traveled around the Med area at all.

HAL markets a couple of 20 day cruises each summer, that are actually back to back 10 cruises on different routes. For example, next year on the Noordam, Aug 25 out of Rome. Thus you get a pretty thorough taste of the Med, if time and money allows.

Bruce

Oh, I just recommended the same thing. The only thing to note was, although I only did the 10 day, those who did the btb ended up with the exact same shows for the second 10 days. They were pretty mad. I don't blame them as HAL marketed this as a btb and even gave special pricing and a name for the 20 day cruise. I bet it was all the timing because perhaps the entertainment was in for 20 days and then there was a switch, so I bet depending on when one got on/off they would see diff shows.

Archived