Celebrity Cruises- my opinion...and some tips:

Blazerboy

(Disclaimer: I'm a 'foodie,' from San Francisco. I'm also a trained chef, but left the business over 15 years ago. I'm not 'rich,' whatever that is these days, but do reward myself with things on vacation, like good wines, etc. Yes, I have to save up for vacations. And yes, I've made cruising a priority, thus the 10 year old stationwagon. Coming from the Bay Area, prices on ships don't shock me...I've long thought drinks were a bargain! I've cruised a lot, on everything from rustbucket ships run by nearly bankrupt Greek cruise lines to mid-range cruise lines like Princess and Celebrity - yes, I called it mid-range! Deal with it! ;) - to luxury brands like Crystal and Queen's Grill on Cunard. I've been doing this since 1967, but I'm only in my mid 40's-I mention my age only to note that perhaps others with a similar demographic might relate to that. Oh, somewhere around 25 cruises, which is only to say that I have had lots of experience trying to meet my needs on a cruise vacation. No, I have very little experience trying to meet your needs! :cool: I tend to prefer more formality than less, but like the combination most lines provide these days. 'All casual' wouldn't be for me, except on perhaps the fancier lines, where people really do dress in country club casual, which to me means a blazer! Well, that IS my screen name. I've had many perfect - for me! - cruises. I've had less than wonderful ones, but still focused on relaxing and enjoying myself.)

My opinion:

Celebrity Cruises are a good value, especially for the prices available.

If you pay a lot more for a suite, you do get a much nicer room. Food, entertainment, etc, do not generally change based on you paying a premium for your stateroom. Consider that when booking. I've done suites, CC class, and regular verandahs, and on some lines, oceanview. and been happy most all (My favorite cabin was an ocean view on QE2!). Basic truism: you pay more, you get more...space.

The food is nice, for cruise ship food, but has some good areas and weak areas. Focus on the strengths you discover. You can glean good secrets here on CC, but be aware of my "10 rules" below....one person's "Oh, my word, that's the best burger ever!" can be my "how can you eat that?" I like the specialty restaurant experience, but it's not the best I've ever had. To me, though, still worth it, even just as a change of pace on a longer cruise.

The decor is louder than I like, but some spaces are lovely, and there are many that are pleasant just by virtue of being at sea.

The entertainment is not to my taste, but neither are Las Vegas production shows, most comics, or sparkly clad pianists...fortunately, I find other things to enjoy.:)

The staff are generally charming...but not there to be my best friend...I just want them to do their job. Some get my sense of humor, and are willing to joke around, which I appreciate. Others don't, and I don't fault them for that. Then there are cultural differences, and I try to understand those, too.

Ship's shore excursion range from great values with good return (I like the ones that DON'T involve a bus and 300 of my fellow passengers) to boring and overpriced. The more exotic usually means the smaller the tour will be, yes, possibly more expensive than a "Bus tour of the highlights of..." but I find it to be a better value.

I know this sounds like faint praise for the line, but I really do enjoy myself. I see so many threads here that would give me second thoughts as a new cruiser, that I wanted to give the above, and also some general advice about cruises and these boards:

Sometimes, I want to respond to a particular thread, and take issue with statements presented as fact, or 'statistics' that are questionable.

(Oh, and you can, if you'd like. But it can get ugly. Doesn't have to, but it can....)

It can also get repetitive.

It can also get annoying when a poster says that "fully 50% of the posts agree with me so I must be right," and then I use the drop down menu on the post count to see that fully 50% of the posts on a thread come from that one poster...

But even I digress...here's the advice. Take it, leave it. Develop your own top ten bits of advice. Good luck, and good night.

So what to do?:rolleyes:

Andrew's top ten rules/advice:

1. Go on your cruise.

2. Form your own opinion.

3. Be aware of the criticisms/agendas of others.

4. Be aware of the positive things (sometimes harder to hear/remember)

5. Be aware of human nature.

6. Be aware of your own attitude.

7. Be aware of things beyond your control.

8. Be aware of things beyond the cruise line's control.

9. Don't expect perfection.

And most importantly,

10. If you see something lacking, speak up pleasantly, and ask.

Especially those personnel who are hoping for tips are only too glad to try to accomodate a passenger that they see as a potential source of extra revenue. Now, if I'm a server, I'm going to try hard, but will always try harder to satisfy the one who is pleasant, realizing that the one who complains AND is unpleasant is likely to tip poorly no matter what I do...

(Falls under the human nature category...i.e., that's life.)

Have a nice evening...

Andrew

Very intresting post. Thoughtful comments.

First let me state that I have sailed many different lines--including Uncle Sam's Underwater Cruises (Navy subs) and have found them all to be very good in their own perspective.

It is not the ship so much as the passengers that make the cruise. The couple from Hell on my first cruise complained about everything. I found myself ducking behind a flowerpot when I would see them coming toward me.

On the other hand, some of the best cruises I've been on were not on the best ships but the passengers were a joy to be around. It was a great time to be sailing with people who are fun.

If you have negative tablemates it can dampen your cruise if you let it.

Don't let it! Loosen up and enjoy what you have. Afterall, cruisibg is BETTER than NOT cruising. ENJOY YOURSELF.

Rich :cool: :cool:

Andrew, you are spot on. Go with an open mind, and a great attitude. With all our cruises on Celebrity, we have never come home with a post-cruise regret. Were things all done to perfection? Not always...but I didn't expect perfection, so I was never disappointed. But all in all...they have been great experiences.

Karyn

Hi Blazerboy - enjoyed your comments - how true. Glad to hear you're still cruising - just like we are. DrKoob said you were doing just fine when we saw him this spring.

Stacky

OMG! Cruising is a small world. Hi Stacky and Ron.

Wow, nice to 'see' all of you!

Thanks, Judy!

Joan, still cruising...not as much as I'd like, but how much would that be?:eek: Hi to Ron.

Michael, heading to Barcelona in five weeks for a Med cruise....can't wait.

Jim...see you in five weeks!

'lo, Ed.

Bon Voyage, Karyn!

Lois, aren't you sweet!

Rich, thanks for the comments....I should add that you're so right...it's the people who make the cruise, no matter the itinerary or the ship...but I will say that Celebrity attracts plenty of folks I seem to like to cruise with....:)

Andrew

Wow, nice to 'see' all of you!

Thanks, Judy!

Joan, still cruising...not as much as I'd like, but how much would that be?:eek: Hi to Ron.

Michael, heading to Barcelona in five weeks for a Med cruise....can't wait.

Jim...see you in five weeks!

'lo, Ed.

Bon Voyage, Karyn!

Lois, aren't you sweet!

Rich, thanks for the comments....I should add that you're so right...it's the people who make the cruise, no matter the itinerary or the ship...but I will say that Celebrity attracts plenty of folks I seem to like to cruise with....:)

Andrew

Andrew - You are SO right - attitude is "everything". I am a TA and I always tell my clients that your cruise will be what you make it. It is fine to read this board, you will get some great packing tips, some great ideas on hotel and how to get from place to place. But I would never choose or not choose a ship, stateroom, cruise line or itinerary based on an opinion on this board. I learned that on our very first cruise. My DH and I had sailed on Celebrity Summit. We had a wonderful time, we thought the food, service, ship, decor lovely, the cruise was everything 'we' wanted it to be. After coming home I discovered this board. I was shocked when I read the comments of those that had been on the same cruise we had been on. If I had read those comments before I cruised I would never cruised! I learned then and there, don't allow others to make your decisions for you! There are those that will hate everything! AND those that will love anything!:D

I hope that perhaps we will be on the same cruise some day - I would love to meet you!

Excellent points made and I would like to add an addendum to your comment about speaking up when you have a problem...We did this on our past trip due to problems of not being able to get a good night's sleep most nights. As a result we booked another 7 day cruise for basically the taxes & govt fees since the rest was covered by cruise credits from Celebrity. Yes it pays to make your point known and in a pleasant and confident way

Ah Andy- envious here, what X- ship do you sail on??? I have booked the QM2 for a change- and I forgot in my previous post- I also sailed on old rusty greek ship back in 1983- a ship called Jupiter-- sunk a few years ago. It was my first cruise ever and I loved it.

Greetings

Michael

(Disclaimer: I'm a 'foodie,' from San Francisco. I'm also a trained chef, but left the business over 15 years ago. I'm not 'rich,' whatever that is these days, but do reward myself with things on vacation, like good wines, etc. Yes, I have to save up for vacations. And yes, I've made cruising a priority, thus the 10 year old stationwagon. Coming from the Bay Area, prices on ships don't shock me...I've long thought drinks were a bargain! I've cruised a lot, on everything from rustbucket ships run by nearly bankrupt Greek cruise lines to mid-range cruise lines like Princess and Celebrity - yes, I called it mid-range! Deal with it! ;) - to luxury brands like Crystal and Queen's Grill on Cunard. I've been doing this since 1967, but I'm only in my mid 40's-I mention my age only to note that perhaps others with a similar demographic might relate to that. Oh, somewhere around 25 cruises, which is only to say that I have had lots of experience trying to meet my needs on a cruise vacation. No, I have very little experience trying to meet your needs! :cool: I tend to prefer more formality than less, but like the combination most lines provide these days. 'All casual' wouldn't be for me, except on perhaps the fancier lines, where people really do dress in country club casual, which to me means a blazer! Well, that IS my screen name. I've had many perfect - for me! - cruises. I've had less than wonderful ones, but still focused on relaxing and enjoying myself.)

My opinion:

If you pay a lot more for a suite, you do get a much nicer room. Food, entertainment, etc, do not generally change based on you paying a premium for your stateroom. Consider that when booking. I've done suites, CC class, and regular verandahs, and on some lines, oceanview. and been happy most all (My favorite cabin was an ocean view on QE2!). Basic truism: you pay more, you get more...space.

The food is nice, for cruise ship food, but has some good areas and weak areas. Focus on the strengths you discover. You can glean good secrets here on CC, but be aware of my "10 rules" below....one person's "Oh, my word, that's the best burger ever!" can be my "how can you eat that?" I like the specialty restaurant experience, but it's not the best I've ever had. To me, though, still worth it, even just as a change of pace on a longer cruise.

The decor is louder than I like, but some spaces are lovely, and there are many that are pleasant just by virtue of being at sea.

The entertainment is not to my taste, but neither are Las Vegas production shows, most comics, or sparkly clad pianists...fortunately, I find other things to enjoy.:)

The staff are generally charming...but not there to be my best friend...I just want them to do their job. Some get my sense of humor, and are willing to joke around, which I appreciate. Others don't, and I don't fault them for that. Then there are cultural differences, and I try to understand those, too.

Ship's shore excursion range from great values with good return (I like the ones that DON'T involve a bus and 300 of my fellow passengers) to boring and overpriced. The more exotic usually means the smaller the tour will be, yes, possibly more expensive than a "Bus tour of the highlights of..." but I find it to be a better value.

I know this sounds like faint praise for the line, but I really do enjoy myself. I see so many threads here that would give me second thoughts as a new cruiser, that I wanted to give the above, and also some general advice about cruises and these boards:

Sometimes, I want to respond to a particular thread, and take issue with statements presented as fact, or 'statistics' that are questionable.

(Oh, and you can, if you'd like. But it can get ugly. Doesn't have to, but it can....)

It can also get annoying when a poster says that "fully 50% of the posts agree with me so I must be right," and then I use the drop down menu on the post count to see that fully 50% of the posts on a thread come from that one poster...

But even I digress...here's the advice. Take it, leave it. Develop your own top ten bits of advice. Good luck, and good night.

1. Go on your cruise.

And most importantly,

Especially those personnel who are hoping for tips are only too glad to try to accomodate a passenger that they see as a potential source of extra revenue. Now, if I'm a server, I'm going to try hard, but will always try harder to satisfy the one who is pleasant, realizing that the one who complains AND is unpleasant is likely to tip poorly no matter what I do...

Have a nice evening...

Andrew

This is really a great post! I read through (so does DH now and then) these threads and wonder why there is so much repitition, i.e., dress, smoking, etc.

As a "newbie cruiser" I have asked questions that I thought relative to a new venture...cruising. All of them have been answered in a polite and courteous manner.

Both DH and I enjoy a good sense of humor...we, or I should "I" (DH does not come to CC very often) enjoy the jesting in good fun that some posters share with the board. Reading about their experiences and information that comes through about places they have visited, etc.

I agree with your ten rules...life can be fun, can be filled with wonderful surprises, and even when all does not "gel", well, so be it. Again, great post thanks for sharing your thoughts. happynewbie

This is really a great post!

I totally agree! Andrew really brought everything to a "real" (as in "realistic") level and way of thinking.

I read through (so does DH now and then) these threads and wonder why there is so much repitition, i.e., dress, smoking, etc.

Because people either don't know how to use the search function, are too lazy to use the search function, can't "let go" of something that happened to them in the past, or simply like to pick fights. :)

Thanks for the post, Andrew!

In fact you could shorten the 10 points to just one, be aware.

I will resist the temptation to expand too much but perhaps do not set your expectations too high.

On point 10 though there is a limit and one that companies try to address in their cruise critque questionaire. That is something that could be improved by the company but is not within the power of the crew to fix there and then.

The company might consider providing feedback to that questionaire if requested.

Cruising is fun!

People who cruise are generally fun to be around!

The Cruise Critic message boards are a wonderful way to get information and a great way to get to know people you will cruise with.

I hope to keep cruising until, well you know when.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Boy, something 'got in my craw' yesterday reading the boards, if that's the correct phrase, and this post just came out...glad so many like it, and nice to see so many 'familiar faces!'

Cruising Chick, I'm around....elsewhere....:cool: I always use this screen name.

Michael, we sail on the Century r/t out of Barcelona-can't wait....and are sailing next Fall on QE2 and QM2 for Back-to-Back crossings....hope you enjoy your trip...love to hear about it when you get back.

I'd dare to say to everyone, that if you agree with this post, and certainly with Rich's comment about people, and have Bobby's attitude, then I'd love cruising with you, too!

All good, even when it's not all good!

Andrew

My opinion:

1. Go on your cruise.

And most importantly,

Have a nice evening...

Andrew

Really nice post.

Wish you and maybe another 1200 with the same thoughtful great attitude would be on the ship when we are...would be a pleasant time for all of us.:p

Hug Hubble!

Andrew, I love your top ten. May I offer up a number eleven?

11. Every day, do something to try to make somebody else's cruise just a little better. It doesn't matter whether it is for somebody you know or somebody you don't know. I have found that when I focus on somebody else, I end up happier myself.

Ooooh, Drew! Good one!

Not to brag, but I find myself acting a little like a cruise director sometimes....comes from cruising in my 20's, when everyone just assumed I was staff, and asked me to do things for them...I remember ladies actually fighting over me when it came to dance lessons(I'm not that good looking, just that, to 75, 29 looks good, no matter how ugly!:D ), saying:

"Doris, it's my turn. You had him last dance!:mad: "

"Uh, hello? Do I get a say in this?"

Apparently not. The next day, I got on a shore excursion bus, and one of the husbands asks loudly. "Don't you EVER work. Every time I see you, you're off the clock.":rolleyes: As I was actually a student then, I was able to reply with a smile:

"Not if I can help it"

He just shrugged and asked me to help him stow a bag up above, which I did with a smile.

But it was good training for your rule 11, and I hereby add it to the list!

Andrew

Archived