Complaint of the Week #22

Philip217

I was just standing by our gangway. A gentleman approached me and asked me where the nearest bathroom might be. I told him that he needed to walk up the staircase directly next to me and he would find the toilet at the top of the staircase.

He counted the stair steps, then turned to me and shouted, "THAT'S DISGUSTING. I WOULD NEVER WALK 22 STEPS TO GET TO A BATHROOM !!" Then he turned and headed off to the nearby ice cream shop (which was far more than 22 steps away). Guess we know where his priorities lay.

Anybody care to hazard a guess as to his size????

Some of us are more challenged by stairs than others. Being disabled, a climb of 22 stairs would be much more of a challenge for me than walking to a nearby(but further than 22 steps) store. From the outside I look perfectly fit, but I have the back of a 90 year old. I would love to be able to dash up those stairs, but I don't have the choice.

Usually I find these amusing, but this one was a bit judgemental.

Charlie

I thought it was amusing.....if someone is unable to walk a flight of stairs......I would imagine that they would say something along the lines of what Charlie did. If he has a problem with stairs to get on the cruiseship to begin with...did he request a W/C. Perhaps we was just creating an alibi...so if his wife asked him why he was in the ice cream shop he could say for the restroom....when she didn't beleive him he could always say "well I asked him":D It just seems funny to me to ask someone for Directions and the to "p*ss in their cornflakes....by blaming them for the location.....I know for a fact that no one here at CC "would kill the messenger":D

Andy

I thought it was funny, too.

I work in an office building. The gym is on the 10th floor. Our office is on the 9th floor. One of the guys at work goes to the gym every day. He gets on the elevator and rides up one flight. One day I asked him if he was injured. He said, "no, why?". So I commented that he takes the elevator up one flight.

Here was his reply, "I don't want to get tired out before I get on the stairmaster." And he was SERIOUS.

Good GRIEF!!!!!!!! Sometimes people are disabled. Sometimes they are just plain lazy.

I thought it was funny' date=' too.

I work in an office building. The gym is on the 10th floor. Our office is on the 9th floor. One of the guys at work goes to the gym every day. He gets on the elevator and rides up one flight. One day I asked him if he was injured. He said, "no, why?". So I commented that he takes the elevator up one flight.

Here was his reply, "I don't want to get tired out before I get on the stairmaster." And he was SERIOUS.

Good GRIEF!!!!!!!! Sometimes people are disabled. Sometimes they are just plain lazy.[/quote']

THIS is a classic. I have to remember it.

I thought it was funny, too.

Good GRIEF!!!!!!!! Sometimes people are disabled. Sometimes they are just plain lazy.

Love it!!!

Some of us are more challenged by stairs than others. Being disabled, a climb of 22 stairs would be much more of a challenge for me than walking to a nearby(but further than 22 steps) store. From the outside I look perfectly fit, but I have the back of a 90 year old. I would love to be able to dash up those stairs, but I don't have the choice.

Charlie

Sometimes it's just not worth posting when people make such narrow minded judgemental comments. As they don't see a problem in making such a rude comment about others.

Charlie

Judgemental???? Did we read the same story? It would seem this individual's priorities were for ingestion rather than elimination. I have found that those who are unable to use the stairs ask if there is a restroom on the same level or where the nearest elevator might be. It appears to me you have a big chip on your shoulder.

Judgemental???? Did we read the same story? It would seem this individual's priorities were for ingestion rather than elimination. I have found that those who are unable to use the stairs ask if there is a restroom on the same level or where the nearest elevator might be. It appears to me you have a big chip on your shoulder.

Many of the posters on this board assumed and judged that the gentlemen in question entered the ice cream shop for food. How about the fact that he might not have been able to climb the stairs? Did he go about it right? No, not at all.

Stairs are not easy for me. I would find it much easier to walk several feet more on a fairly flat service, than to climb stairs.

I was just standing by our gangway. A gentleman approached me and asked me where the nearest bathroom might be. I told him that he needed to walk up the staircase directly next to me and he would find the toilet at the top of the staircase.

He counted the stair steps, then turned to me and shouted, "THAT'S DISGUSTING. I WOULD NEVER WALK 22 STEPS TO GET TO A BATHROOM !!" Then he turned and headed off to the nearby ice cream shop (which was far more than 22 steps away). Guess we know where his priorities lay.

Anybody care to hazard a guess as to his size????

Folks need to get over being so sensitive and really read the post. If he was really worried about the steps, he would have asked for the nearest elavator, which might have been close to the stairs?:rolleyes:

If it's disgusting to walk 22 steps to the bathroom and he wouldn't do it, what does he do if he REALLY has to go and the bathroom IS 22 steps away? I can think of something that WOULD be disgusting...like his pants.:eek:

Ewww! LOL It's amazing how some people priortize things these days.

Houch - three year ago I was bench pressing over 200 pound, today I can barely walk without pain - a big chip? No, but I have gotten a whole ot more aware of the world around me and have learned not to make snap judgements about people based upon their size or abilities.

Yes, people are lazy, yes, people do form opinons based upon a person's size, color and creed. That will never change.

What tweaked me was the crack about his size - not all large folks are lazy, but that was the way the comment read to me.

Charlie

Houch - three year ago I was bench pressing over 200 pound, today I can barely walk without pain - a big chip? No, but I have gotten a whole ot more aware of the world around me and have learned not to make snap judgements about people based upon their size or abilities.

Yes, people are lazy, yes, people do form opinons based upon a person's size, color and creed. That will never change.

What tweaked me was the crack about his size - not all large folks are lazy, but that was the way the comment read to me.

Charlie

I also have a physical disability. However, if I needed to use the restroom and found that it was too far to walk, yet ice cream was further away and in my mind was an acceptable walking distance, I would think something would be wrong with my thinking.

Yep...the guy is already obviously huge...headed to the ice cream bar and he can't take the stairs because of a "disability"??? It is called hand to mouth disease. His attitude of stopping to count the steps before making his comment tells you all I need to know about this guy. His "size" simply confirms what his "mouth" already told ya!

I can't take the stairs as much because I have bad knees at the age of 52 and am a trim size 10 female. But you won't hear me complaining.... I would simply ask where an elevator was.

• Administrators

As someone who also has to avoid stairs when possible, my reply to Philip would have been "oh, sorry, I can't do stairs -- where's the nearest elevator?" For someone to stand there and COUNT the stairs (leading to the question -- if there had been 21 would he then have been happy?) is just bizarre. I suspect that's probably as much the reason this one made it to the Complaint of the Week file as anything.

As for then heading to the ice cream shop -- I don't know of any cruiseline that has restroom facilities in the small eateries (or the large ones, for that matter), so maybe he just decided his need for a WC wasn't all THAT urgent? :)

Archived