Audio Books

LynnAB

Hi

I have listened to audiobooks for years as I drive a lot and got fed up with the radio.

I use an ipod 80gb and have literally hundreds on it. I have a subscription with audible and download 2 a month (the most expensive ones) and also buy some when they have a special offer. I agree the narrator is very important, some can be over dramatic and others just drone on. I always listen to a sample before I download. Hope this helps

Liz

Liz, I was not aware that IPOD's worked with any service, that is very good information.

Liz and Lynn,

Do you have any favorite narrators? I have 3 or 4 but their names escape me at the moment with the exception of Richard Ferrone (sp?) who does all of the John Sanford books and George Guidell (I think???) who does many authors. The narrator that does all of the Grisham books is very goos as well, cannot remember is name. I especially connect with the same reader reading all of the books in a series. Also I like Cynthia Nixon (from Sex in the City fame), and ummmm I cannot remember her name but she starred with John Belushi in Continental Divide movie.

I just HAD to follow up and let you know that my Cowon came yesterday. Oh, my. I'm in love with this player <g>. I'm JUST learning and just beginning with it, so don't expect miracles yet ... but I've put put my Christmas music, cruise music, and one book on it.

I'm "tweaking" how to tag books so they're the most organized. I had a book converted to MP3 format. My only problem that I'm seeing is that I think I may have to manually go into each disc of the book separately on my player. If I select "play all," it puts the tracks in order but messes up because is will have, for example, track 1, track 1, track 1, track 2, track 2 .... etc. ... based on putting the tracks first but not doing each full disc of tracks before going on to the next disc. Am I explaining this properly so you can understand? Do you have any insight on this? Do you do any "tagging" on your computer first before putting the book on your player? I did, but I'm not sure I did it the most efficient way.

Please keep in touch!!! You're my book guru <g>.

Thank you,

Lynn

Was there any software that came with the cowen? There was some that came with my MP3 that seems to do a pretty good job of managing this altho I cannot say I that I totally understand it.

Jim

Hi

I have listened to audiobooks for years as I drive a lot and got fed up with the radio.

I use an ipod 80gb and have literally hundreds on it. I have a subscription with audible and download 2 a month (the most expensive ones) and also buy some when they have a special offer. I agree the narrator is very important, some can be over dramatic and others just drone on. I always listen to a sample before I download. Hope this helps

Liz

Hi, Liz,

Yes, I agree that the radio gets "old." I am sooooo sick of talk shows, advertising, etc. I love listening to books!

Right now I'm in the middle of the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon while driving to work every day. I have to admit I have a love-hate relationship with this series. It seems like everyone loves it, but there are parts that I find very disturbing. The author is PHENOMENAL, though, and has an amazing command of the English language. I become more and more impressed with that fact as I go on. I guess after listening to these books that I'm really, really happy not to have lived in the Scottish highlander days. Ugh <g>.

Lynn

Liz, I was not aware that IPOD's worked with any service, that is very good information.

Liz and Lynn,

Do you have any favorite narrators? I have 3 or 4 but their names escape me at the moment with the exception of Richard Ferrone (sp?) who does all of the John Sanford books and George Guidell (I think???) who does many authors. The narrator that does all of the Grisham books is very goos as well, cannot remember is name. I especially connect with the same reader reading all of the books in a series. Also I like Cynthia Nixon (from Sex in the City fame), and ummmm I cannot remember her name but she starred with John Belushi in Continental Divide movie.

Yes! I'm new to the audio books, but ... I really like Dennis Boutsikaris. The only book I've listened to him do so far is Skipping Christmas by John Grisham, but I love his voice. I'm hunting out other books that he narrates. One in particular that you may have read is Ricochet by Sandra Brown.

Davina Porter narrates the Outlander series, and she is WONDERFUL.

I agree about "connecting" with the same reader for multiple books. I like that feeling, too.

I'll have to look up Cynthia Nixon and the other narrators you mentioned. Thank you. Good idea. We should share our favorite narrators' names. They're sooooooooooo important to the whole audible experience.

Lynn

Was there any software that came with the cowen? There was some that came with my MP3 that seems to do a pretty good job of managing this altho I cannot say I that I totally understand it.

Jim

Hi, Jim,

Yes. Jet Audio came with my player, and I like it a lot. One nice feature of the Cowon, too, is that you can drag and drop from Windows Explorer and don't have to use any software if you don't want to.

I'm really loving my Cowon, Jim. Even though the screen is only 2.5 inches, it plays video beautifully!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynn

Hi

some narrator I like are

Scott Brick, Paul Michael (probably my favourite), Saul Reichlin, and both Stephen Fry and Jim Dale for the Harry potter books, They both bring something different to the story.

HTH

Liz

Great suggestions, Liz! I'm going to check them out. And, YES, Jim Dale is wonderful. So far I've only heard him read A Christmas Carol ... so I have to check out other books. I'm off to research your other favorites, too, and see what kinds of books they read.

Lynn

Great suggestions, Liz! I'm going to check them out. And, YES, Jim Dale is wonderful. So far I've only heard him read A Christmas Carol ... so I have to check out other books. I'm off to research your other favorites, too, and see what kinds of books they read.

Lynn

I would not have recognized the name but I did listen to skipping Christmas and he is good. On the negative side, sometimes it makes a book that is OK almost un-listenable because they try to ahrd or put way to much inflection so it is distracting.

I would not have recognized the name but I did listen to skipping Christmas and he is good. On the negative side, sometimes it makes a book that is OK almost un-listenable because they try to ahrd or put way to much inflection so it is distracting.

I know it's very LIGHT, but I happen to LOVE Skipping Christmas. First I read the BOOK book. Then I listened to the AUDIO book. Then I saw the movie. Under normal circumstances I'm quite the Christmas fanatic and LOVE Christmas movies, stories, Foodnetwork specials ... you can pretty much name it <g>.

I've been looking to see what else Dennis Boutsikaris reads. Some of the ones of interest are Ricochet (Sandra Brown), many John Grisham books, All He Ever Wanted (Anita Shreve), Exile (Richard North Patterson).

Since you've said you've read Richard North Patterson books, maybe you read Exile???

I really do think he's a wonderful narrator!

Lynn

I know it's very LIGHT, but I happen to LOVE Skipping Christmas. First I read the BOOK book. Then I listened to the AUDIO book. Then I saw the movie. Under normal circumstances I'm quite the Christmas fanatic and LOVE Christmas movies, stories, Foodnetwork specials ... you can pretty much name it <g>.

I've been looking to see what else Dennis Boutsikaris reads. Some of the ones of interest are Ricochet (Sandra Brown), many John Grisham books, All He Ever Wanted (Anita Shreve), Exile (Richard North Patterson).

Since you've said you've read Richard North Patterson books, maybe you read Exile???

I really do think he's a wonderful narrator!

Lynn

Can't say that I remember it but Patterson is one of those black holes in my memory (before I started with my read log). I will check it out next time I am at the library.

Can't say that I remember it but Patterson is one of those black holes in my memory (before I started with my read log). I will check it out next time I am at the library.

Good morning, Jim,

I can see where a log would become necessary. I'm just starting out and think oh, I can remember what I read. Uh, no! That's because I've listened to two books on my new player so far <lol>. I would HOPE I'd remember THOSE. I'll need a log, too!

All I can say is I'm really, really, really enjoying LISTENING to books on my Cowon. It's small (thank GOODNESS I didn't go with the big multimedia player), and I can "wear" it around the house all day and listen even when I'm doing the dishes or cleaning. My friends pretty much think I'm nuts to LISTEN to books and say they can read FASTER than listening. No! I wouldn't be reading a book while I'm doing things around the house, that's for sure. This is a wonderful benefit for me ... PLUS, I'm just LOVING being read TO. I feel completely immersed in my audio books. Of course I still read book books, too ... but that works out well at different times.

This is fun. Another favorite thing of mine is DISCUSSING books and what everyone loves to read! It's fantastic getting recommendations of books and authors and narrators!

Have a great day. OH! My Internet was out yesterday, last night, and right up until NOW. There was a regional Internet outage in South Florida, we were told. I was hyperventilating <g>.

Lynn

Good morning, Jim,

I can see where a log would become necessary. I'm just starting out and think oh, I can remember what I read. Uh, no! That's because I've listened to two books on my new player so far <lol>. I would HOPE I'd remember THOSE. I'll need a log, too!

All I can say is I'm really, really, really enjoying LISTENING to books on my Cowon. It's small (thank GOODNESS I didn't go with the big multimedia player), and I can "wear" it around the house all day and listen even when I'm doing the dishes or cleaning. My friends pretty much think I'm nuts to LISTEN to books and say they can read FASTER than listening. No! I wouldn't be reading a book while I'm doing things around the house, that's for sure. This is a wonderful benefit for me ... PLUS, I'm just LOVING being read TO. I feel completely immersed in my audio books. Of course I still read book books, too ... but that works out well at different times.

This is fun. Another favorite thing of mine is DISCUSSING books and what everyone loves to read! It's fantastic getting recommendations of books and authors and narrators!

Have a great day. OH! My Internet was out yesterday, last night, and right up until NOW. There was a regional Internet outage in South Florida, we were told. I was hyperventilating <g>.

Lynn

Yes Lynn, I would strongly advise using a log as long it does not become cumbersome. I wish I had started earlier but it just kind of crept up on me. I travel a ways to work every day (55+ miles each way) and I stop at various libraries in different towns along the way. In CT, one library card gets you access to all libraries. The advantage is that I can go online and see what audio books are in which library and put them on hold. I do not think they will forward to my library, and I have to return to the library that the book was borrowed from but it expands the available audio books significantly. Picked up a Lisa Scotoline (spelling?) audio book last evening on the way home and it is 3rd in my listening queue.

Also, I thought of another series of books I enjoy. The author is Janet Evanovich and the series is about a female bounty hunter from New Jersey named Stephanie Plum, All of the tiles have a number in them (the last one I read is Lean Mean 13 as example). Not sure if I mentioned these before but these are laugh out loud funny in parts (although they involve mystery and some violence) and can have some crude language.

I am very happy you are enjoying the Cowon so much, it will only get better.... and bigger (size wise) is not always better.

Have a great day.

Yes Lynn, I would strongly advise using a log as long it does not become cumbersome. I wish I had started earlier but it just kind of crept up on me. I travel a ways to work every day (55+ miles each way) and I stop at various libraries in different towns along the way. In CT, one library card gets you access to all libraries. The advantage is that I can go online and see what audio books are in which library and put them on hold. I do not think they will forward to my library, and I have to return to the library that the book was borrowed from but it expands the available audio books significantly. Picked up a Lisa Scotoline (spelling?) audio book last evening on the way home and it is 3rd in my listening queue.

Also, I thought of another series of books I enjoy. The author is Janet Evanovich and the series is about a female bounty hunter from New Jersey named Stephanie Plum, All of the tiles have a number in them (the last one I read is Lean Mean 13 as example). Not sure if I mentioned these before but these are laugh out loud funny in parts (although they involve mystery and some violence) and can have some crude language.

I am very happy you are enjoying the Cowon so much, it will only get better.... and bigger (size wise) is not always better.

Have a great day.

Hi, Jim,

Okay, now I'm very envious! My library card is only good in the county I live in here in Florida. I'm lucky insofar as I can check everything on line within my county and have books transferred to the branch I want to pick them up. That is working out great for me. HOWEVER, I looked at the site for the next county over today, and I found that pretty exciting, too. It seems there are a LOT of books there that aren't in "my" library system that I'll "need" to get one of these days <g>. It might even be worth buying a library card for that county.

As far as Janet Evanovich's series, I've READ all of them. That's exactly the TYPE of book I'm looking for now. A light mystery with a lot of humor. If you think of any other books like those, please let me know.

You're right! It's not the size that counts, I'm finding out <g>. I just LOVE my little Cowon, and it goes everywhere with me. I feel like it's my friend in a way because I know I can listen to a book that will put me in a good mood whenever and wherever I want to. This is fantastic!

Lynn

Don't forget to checkout whether your libraries offer download services like netlibrary and overdrive which are both free.

And no Im jealous of someone going on a b2b cruise :D

You're soooo funny <g>. Don't be jealous. I truly need something wonderful to look forward to. And if you don't want to be envious, think about me cramped up in that inside cabin <g>. Although, I'm still grateful to even be doing the two weeks that I promise NOT to complain.

I see that my libraries have ebooks, but I still have to check about downloading the books. I keep forgetting to do THAT. The only problem is that those time out, right? I hate being told I have to read a book in a certain amount of time. That's just a quirk of mine. I know. I know. It's better than not having the book at all.

Do you get most of your books from the library or through SimplyAudio or Audible? And are you downloading most of them or getting most of them on CD? Just curious ...

Lynn

You're soooo funny <g>. Don't be jealous. I truly need something wonderful to look forward to. And if you don't want to be envious, think about me cramped up in that inside cabin <g>. Although, I'm still grateful to even be doing the two weeks that I promise NOT to complain.

I see that my libraries have ebooks, but I still have to check about downloading the books. I keep forgetting to do THAT. The only problem is that those time out, right? I hate being told I have to read a book in a certain amount of time. That's just a quirk of mine. I know. I know. It's better than not having the book at all.

Do you get most of your books from the library or through SimplyAudio or Audible? And are you downloading most of them or getting most of them on CD? Just curious ...

Lynn

As far as the mix it is pretty much an even split. Some downloading from the NetLibrary (library connection...free, which is not too bad), some CD's or even cassettes a the libraries, and some woth simplyaudionbooks. Those are CD's, I am thinking of switching my account with them from shipping CD's to downloading. They say on their web site that they allow you to switch, I just need to check out how to do that. I don't have audible, but I believe it is similar to simplyaudiobooks. The timeout is an inconvenience but not a major hassle, you get used to it, and re-listening is fun as well. I will be somewhat out of pocket for the next couple of days. Driving one of my daughters down to San Antonio. She is a nurse and is doing some traveling nursing and needs her car and I dont want her to travel alone. Will be flying back on Sunday. Will have some internet access.

Lynn

As far as the mix it is pretty much an even split. Some downloading from the NetLibrary (library connection...free, which is not too bad), some CD's or even cassettes a the libraries, and some with simplyaudionbooks. Those are CD's, I am thinking of switching my account with them from shipping CD's to downloading. They say on their web site that they allow you to switch, I just need to check out how to do that. I don't have audible, but I believe it is similar to simplyaudiobooks. The timeout is an inconvenience but not a major hassle, you get used to it, and re-listening is fun as well. I will be somewhat out of pocket for the next couple of days. Driving one of my daughters down to San Antonio. She is a nurse and is doing some traveling nursing and needs her car and I dont want her to travel alone. Will be flying back on Sunday. Will have some internet access.

As far as the mix it is pretty much an even split. Some downloading from the NetLibrary (library connection...free, which is not too bad), some CD's or even cassettes a the libraries, and some with simplyaudionbooks. Those are CD's, I am thinking of switching my account with them from shipping CD's to downloading. They say on their web site that they allow you to switch, I just need to check out how to do that. I don't have audible, but I believe it is similar to simplyaudiobooks. The timeout is an inconvenience but not a major hassle, you get used to it, and re-listening is fun as well. I will be somewhat out of pocket for the next couple of days. Driving one of my daughters down to San Antonio. She is a nurse and is doing some traveling nursing and needs her car and I dont want her to travel alone. Will be flying back on Sunday. Will have some internet access.

Hi, Jim,

Traveling nursing? That sounds interesting! My sister-in-law is an ICU/CCU nurse here in South Florida.

I haven't been to San Antonio since 1991 when my mother and I went there. I was going there for a romance writer's convention (I was TRYING to write and sell a book -- long story). We had a really nice time on the Riverwalk, and I have some fond memories of that trip. Wow, that seems sooooo long ago. My son was only 5 at the time, and he's now 21! Wow!!!

I went to the library again tonight. I can honestly say I'm ADDICTED now <g>. I guess I'll keep getting free books for a while and turn to Simplyaudio or Audible once I can't find something I want and get frustrated.

I'll be working at home tomorrow as we're having our bathroom re-tiled due to a leak. What a MESS!!! I'm not happy about facing all this tomorrow and having someone here all day tiling. Darn!

Have a really safe trip and a safe flight home!!!! I'll talk to you soon. I bet you're going to be listening to books on the way home, hmmm????

Lynn

Well. I'm back. Did listen to half of an audio book on the way back. Only so,so tho.... T.C. Boyle is the author and the audio book is "the Tortilla Curtain". Also wrote Drop City which was a little better, all set in either CA or Alaska. What about James W. Hall, I have listened to 3 or 4 of his all set down in the Keys, your neck of the woods?

Writer's convention, wow, your full of surprise's, would love to hear that story, tho it sounds like a long one.

Well. I'm back. Did listen to half of an audio book on the way back. Only so,so tho.... T.C. Boyle is the author and the audio book is "the Tortilla Curtain". Also wrote Drop City which was a little better, all set in either CA or Alaska. What about James W. Hall, I have listened to 3 or 4 of his all set down in the Keys, your neck of the woods?

Writer's convention, wow, your full of surprise's, would love to hear that story, tho it sounds like a long one.

Hi, Jim,

Welcome back! How was your trip?

I've never heard of James W. Hall but just looked him up. Wow! I'll bet I'd like his books if I were a man. I enjoy books set in Florida or tropical places. I'm just afraid Hall's books are too rough for me. What do you think?

I just finished the second book in the Outlander series today while I was driving around. It's called Dragonfly in Amber. Okay, I'm now really hooked on the series and will be continuing with the third book, Voyager, starting tomorrow. The violent parts are really violent, but the romantic parts keep me going <g>. What a fabulous, fabulous, fabulous author, though. I sooooooooooo admire Diana Gabaldon for all the research she did on these books and her command of the English language. Wow!!! I feel this series of book is a perfect fit for the audio format. I doubt I'd enjoy them as much as I am just reading them. It's truly wonderful LISTENING to them.

On my Cowon I'm listening to a silly, funny book called A Christmas Caroline, written by a man, actually. Cute and funny, and I don't have to think <g>.

I went to my friend's booksigning yesterday, which was a LOT of fun. Fifteen years ago we were in a critique group together. That's when I was attending the Romance Writers of America conventions. I was having a blast and wrote two series romance books but never got published. To shorten the long story, one of my books came very, very close to selling and made it past the first editor. The senior editor then rejected my book. Sigh! At that time I couldn't "wait around" and keep writing and not making money, so I went to court reporting school, graduated, and began my present career. The rest is history, but I will always LOVE books, LOVE reading, and LOVE writing. Maybe someday again ...

Anyway ... when I got home from the booksigning, my husband was playing Christmas music for me, and our 21-year-old son had put up the Christmas tree. They know I wouldn't do ANYTHING for Christmas on my own this year, so that was amazing. They're trying sooooo hard to bring me back to the "old" me. I used to be a Christmas/holiday fanatic, but I'm basically nonfunctioning this year.

I keep meaning to ask you: Do you ever play your books through speakers at home? I'm kind of thinking I'd like little speakers so I wouldn't always have to use ear buds. Oh, well, just a thought.

And I started my Excel spreadsheet <lol>.

Bye for now,

Lynn

Hi, Jim,

Welcome back! How was your trip?

I've never heard of James W. Hall but just looked him up. Wow! I'll bet I'd like his books if I were a man. I enjoy books set in Florida or tropical places. I'm just afraid Hall's books are too rough for me. What do you think?

I just finished the second book in the Outlander series today while I was driving around. It's called Dragonfly in Amber. Okay, I'm now really hooked on the series and will be continuing with the third book, Voyager, starting tomorrow. The violent parts are really violent, but the romantic parts keep me going <g>. What a fabulous, fabulous, fabulous author, though. I sooooooooooo admire Diana Gabaldon for all the research she did on these books and her command of the English language. Wow!!! I feel this series of book is a perfect fit for the audio format. I doubt I'd enjoy them as much as I am just reading them. It's truly wonderful LISTENING to them.

On my Cowon I'm listening to a silly, funny book called A Christmas Caroline, written by a man, actually. Cute and funny, and I don't have to think <g>.

I went to my friend's booksigning yesterday, which was a LOT of fun. Fifteen years ago we were in a critique group together. That's when I was attending the Romance Writers of America conventions. I was having a blast and wrote two series romance books but never got published. To shorten the long story, one of my books came very, very close to selling and made it past the first editor. The senior editor then rejected my book. Sigh! At that time I couldn't "wait around" and keep writing and not making money, so I went to court reporting school, graduated, and began my present career. The rest is history, but I will always LOVE books, LOVE reading, and LOVE writing. Maybe someday again ...

Anyway ... when I got home from the booksigning, my husband was playing Christmas music for me, and our 21-year-old son had put up the Christmas tree. They know I wouldn't do ANYTHING for Christmas on my own this year, so that was amazing. They're trying sooooo hard to bring me back to the "old" me. I used to be a Christmas/holiday fanatic, but I'm basically nonfunctioning this year.

I keep meaning to ask you: Do you ever play your books through speakers at home? I'm kind of thinking I'd like little speakers so I wouldn't always have to use ear buds. Oh, well, just a thought.

And I started my Excel spreadsheet <lol>.

Bye for now,

Lynn

The trip was good, a long long ride but I did not want her driving down all that way by herself. I was a little hesitant to bring up Hall, there is some violence but always a love story as well. And there is some sadness to some of his books, maybe not. I do listen to speakers when no one else is around. That must have really stunk to get that close to getting a book published, wish I could write. I have tried at times but I think I push to hard.

Have you ever read/listened to John Irving books? He is most famous for "The world according to Garp", but I enjoy his others more. Some parts are laugh out loud funny. All are adult themed but not too crude. OK, I will play the dumb part now, what are the Outlander series?

Try and let go a little and not push but enjoy the holiday, even if just for your family.

The trip was good, a long long ride but I did not want her driving down all that way by herself. I was a little hesitant to bring up Hall, there is some violence but always a love story as well. And there is some sadness to some of his books, maybe not. I do listen to speakers when no one else is around. That must have really stunk to get that close to getting a book published, wish I could write. I have tried at times but I think I push to hard.

Have you ever read/listened to John Irving books? He is most famous for "The world according to Garp", but I enjoy his others more. Some parts are laugh out loud funny. All are adult themed but not too crude. OK, I will play the dumb part now, what are the Outlander series?

Try and let go a little and not push but enjoy the holiday, even if just for your family.

Hi, Jim,

Funny you should mention John Irving. I've never read ANYTHING of his but was looking at a few books in the library. Which are your favorites that you might recommend?

Don't be silly! It's not "dumb" to ask about a book/series. I keep asking YOU all kinds of questions. The Outlander series are written by Diana Gabaldon and consist of six books SO FAR. I say that because there are rumors of another book or two to come but nothing official that I have come across yet. The books are: Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn, The Fiery Cross, and Breath of Snow and Ashes. If you look them up on Amazon or elsewhere, you'll see the books EACH range from 600 to 800 or 900 pages!!! Yes, EACH! They're time travel to some extent in that the main female is a nurse in 1945 and travels back in time to the Scottish highlands. That's where it gets ROUGH. Think Braveheart <g>. I just finished listening to the second book and am up to 1968 but about to go back in time again, I believe, in the next book. I've been told that the main characters finally get to America in the third or fourth book. I believe they'll get back to the American Revolution days, and I'm thinking that should get interesting.

If you look on Amazon, you'll see LOTS of reviews of this series! It's amazing. What a following the author has. I can see why!!!

Oh! Yes, it stunk to ALMOST get published. Here's the WORST part. The SENIOR editor said the premise of my book was NOT plausible. I wrote a romance where the man and woman met on the Internet. She said that would never happen. NOW fifteen years later, that's very common. I guess I was ahead of my time <g>.

Yes, Jim, I'm going to try to enjoy the holiday for my family. I set up my Nativity under the tree tonight and even put a stocking under the tree for my poodles <g>. They're going to be soooo surprised with the goodies I got for them <lol>.

I'm off to read for a few minutes ...

Lynn

Hi, Jim,

Funny you should mention John Irving. I've never read ANYTHING of his but was looking at a few books in the library. Which are your favorites that you might recommend?

Don't be silly! It's not "dumb" to ask about a book/series. I keep asking YOU all kinds of questions. The Outlander series are written by Diana Gabaldon and consist of six books SO FAR. I say that because there are rumors of another book or two to come but nothing official that I have come across yet. The books are: Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn, The Fiery Cross, and Breath of Snow and Ashes. If you look them up on Amazon or elsewhere, you'll see the books EACH range from 600 to 800 or 900 pages!!! Yes, EACH! They're time travel to some extent in that the main female is a nurse in 1945 and travels back in time to the Scottish highlands. That's where it gets ROUGH. Think Braveheart <g>. I just finished listening to the second book and am up to 1968 but about to go back in time again, I believe, in the next book. I've been told that the main characters finally get to America in the third or fourth book. I believe they'll get back to the American Revolution days, and I'm thinking that should get interesting.

If you look on Amazon, you'll see LOTS of reviews of this series! It's amazing. What a following the author has. I can see why!!!

Oh! Yes, it stunk to ALMOST get published. Here's the WORST part. The SENIOR editor said the premise of my book was NOT plausible. I wrote a romance where the man and woman met on the Internet. She said that would never happen. NOW fifteen years later, that's very common. I guess I was ahead of my time <g>.

Yes, Jim, I'm going to try to enjoy the holiday for my family. I set up my Nativity under the tree tonight and even put a stocking under the tree for my poodles <g>. They're going to be soooo surprised with the goodies I got for them <lol>.

I'm off to read for a few minutes ...

Lynn

Thanks, I will add these to my wish list and try one soon. I have listened to 4 Irving books. Until I find you, The water method man, The fourth hand and Widow for one year. All a little rambling and they take a while to really feel comfortable. Some racy adult content in all of them, and while he tells a very good story, I am wanting more at the end of the story (not sure if that is a good thing or not). What prompted me to bring these up is the latest one I listened to (the water method man) which has a very adult scene but laugh out loud funny (picture me in my car at rush hour by myself in traffic, hysterically laughing to no one in the car).

Not sure if you saw the movie of The World according to Garp, but there is a scene where Robin Williams (Garp) and his wife are looking to but a house and while standing outside the house are talking to the real estate agent and a small plane (obviously in distress) crashes into the house, at which point he turns to the agent and says we'll take it, (inferring that since it was hit by the plane another one could never hit again, lousy translation but you get the point). My favorite is still probably Until I find you, which is very long but good. That being said, I would recommend The water method man as a first read.

Someday, I would enjoy hearing about the trying to published process in more detail. Christmas for us will be a little dicey for us as this will be the first we will not all be together (more so on my wife, she is a Christmas fanatic, but I will do my best to compensate as I can).

Jim

Thanks, I will add these to my wish list and try one soon. I have listened to 4 Irving books. Until I find you, The water method man, The fourth hand and Widow for one year. All a little rambling and they take a while to really feel comfortable. Some racy adult content in all of them, and while he tells a very good story, I am wanting more at the end of the story (not sure if that is a good thing or not). What prompted me to bring these up is the latest one I listened to (the water method man) which has a very adult scene but laugh out loud funny (picture me in my car at rush hour by myself in traffic, hysterically laughing to no one in the car).

Not sure if you saw the movie of The World according to Garp, but there is a scene where Robin Williams (Garp) and his wife are looking to but a house and while standing outside the house are talking to the real estate agent and a small plane (obviously in distress) crashes into the house, at which point he turns to the agent and says we'll take it, (inferring that since it was hit by the plane another one could never hit again, lousy translation but you get the point). My favorite is still probably Until I find you, which is very long but good. That being said, I would recommend The water method man as a first read.

Someday, I would enjoy hearing about the trying to published process in more detail. Christmas for us will be a little dicey for us as this will be the first we will not all be together (more so on my wife, she is a Christmas fanatic, but I will do my best to compensate as I can).

Jim

Hi, Jim,

No, I haven't seen the movie of The World According To Garp, but buying THAT house sounds like something my husband and I would do. We went on our honeymoon on November 13th (24 years ago) because that was the exact date my father had had a heart attack (albeit six years prior to that). We figured nothing bad would happen on THAT date again.

I'm anxious to add John Irving to my "list" of books to get/rent since I haven't read ANY of Irving's books. What fun! Don't worry about recommending a long book. After this Outlander series, I can't imagine ANY book seeming LONG to me <g>.

I've been there ... laughing out loud in the car while listening to a funny book. That sounds really good!

Oh, I feel soooooooooooooo bad for your wife. How many children do you have? Isn't there any way they could come "home" for Christmas?

Lynn