Audio Books

LynnAB

I just finished listening to Devils Corner by Lisa Scottoline and have an Elizabeth Peters on my I-pod but haven't started it. I love Elizabeth Peters books they are so tongue in cheek, I have read most of hers. I have read everything Diana Gabaldon except the latest Lord John book that just came out. Love her books!

Favorite books:

Dick Francis Proof

Robert Parker's Jesse Stone Books

James Patterson Women's Murder Club Mysteries

Janet Evonovich Everything Dean Koonts Dark Rivers of the Heart,

One Door Away From Heaven

Diana Gabaldon Everything

Don't remember who the author is but I love Watership Down of course all the Harry Potter books. I always loved the Mary Stewart books about King Arthur The Crystal Cave and three others. If you like science fantasy there is Anne McCaffrey series about Pern. Once again I could go on and on, but it is time for bed so I'll think about others and get back to you.;)

I enjoy Parker's books as well. All of the Jesse Stone books. There is also an offshoot series he has written about a female investigator that he introduced in one of the Jesse Stone books. I cannot remember her name now. What about the Spenser series? Have you listened to any of them? There was a TV show WAY back in the late 70's (I think) based upon this series (altho he was written more in the series since then).

I have listened to most (if not all) of the Dean Koontz audio books as well. James Patterson is also one of my favs, listened to over 15 of his. Patricia Cornwall as well (Kay Scarpetta series).

Jim

Yes! We can really get into sharing and recommending and even discussing books here. This will be fun. Here's to 2008 and lots of wonderful books to keep us company <g>

Lynn

Our little group continues to grow! Thanks to you re-posting of the Audio Book reference!!!:)

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that, I'm really not weird, I promise.:o I used to speed them up. It started years ago when my kids were little and I was going to school. I used to tape the class lecture and then play them back to complete my notes. Well, I would play the lectures fast until I got to a point where I really needed to get down the information and then I would slow the tape way down to take notes. I found that even at top speed I could understand the information and retain it. I just got used to listening at top speed and lets face it when your really into a book you can't wait to see what happens next this way I just got through it a little faster. Now this was back before they had the in ear head phones so when I was listen to a book on tape my DH could hear a little bit of the sound. This drove him crazy because to him it sounded like I was listening to a bunch of chipmunks.:D Since there is no speed control on an I-pod I can't do that anymore.

Holiday 03/23/01

Celebration 07/30/01

Ecstasy 03/15/02

Ecstasy 09/27/02

Ecstasy 03/28/03

Elation 06/15/03

Ecstasy 03/26/04

Carnival Spirit 11/15/06

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that, I'm really not weird, I promise.:o I used to speed them up. It started years ago when my kids were little and I was going to school. I used to tape the class lecture and then play them back to complete my notes. Well, I would play the lectures fast until I got to a point where I really needed to get down the information and then I would slow the tape way down to take notes. I found that even at top speed I could understand the information and retain it. I just got used to listening at top speed and lets face it when your really into a book you can't wait to see what happens next this way I just got through it a little faster. Now this was back before they had the in ear head phones so when I was listen to a book on tape my DH could hear a little bit of the sound. This drove him crazy because to him it sounded like I was listening to a bunch of chipmunks.:D Since there is no speed control on an I-pod I can't do that anymore.

Holiday 03/23/01

Celebration 07/30/01

Ecstasy 03/15/02

Ecstasy 09/27/02

Ecstasy 03/28/03

Elation 06/15/03

Ecstasy 03/26/04

Carnival Spirit 11/15/06

It's not weird at all. Not sure I would know how to speed up a tape version of an audio book tho. I see you have been on the Ecstasy 4 times. Logistical reasons (close to home) or are you in love with that ship?

Also, you can edit your signature so that your past cruises show up without having to re-type them in the body of your message.

Jim

The Robert Parker character is Sunny Randall. I know because I started to listen to High Profile, the latest Jesse Stone and here was this character I had missed. I thought I had missed one of the Jesse Stone books but with research I found that it is a different series. I'm so obsessive that I need to find the Sunny Randall book, Blue Screen, and read/listen to it before I read High Profile. I have read most of the Spencer Series but I enjoy the Jesse Stone books more. I think because Spencer is so together and Jesse is so flawed.

Love Dean Koontz, have his latest on my I-pod, haven't started it yet. Just finished Cross by Patterson and am looking for Double Cross in the used book stores.

I'm behind a book or to on Patrica Cornwall, if you haven't read her other book you should give them a try.

And Lynn your are right audio books make housework and other chores more pleasant!!:D

Holiday 03/23/01

Celebration 07/30/01

Ecstasy 03/15/02

Ecstasy 09/27/02

Ecstasy 03/28/03

Elation 06/15/03

Ecstasy 03/26/04

Carnival Spirit 11/15/06

You're too funny! I didn't think you were weird. Honest. I'm a court reporter and used to transcribe trial work before becoming a reporter. I was VERY FAMILIAR with speeding a tape up and working that way and am able to listen and process the info quicker, too. I was just curious. Welcome again to our little home away from home here on the board <g>.

Lynn

The Robert Parker character is Sunny Randall. I know because I started to listen to High Profile, the latest Jesse Stone and here was this character I had missed. I thought I had missed one of the Jesse Stone books but with research I found that it is a different series. I'm so obsessive that I need to find the Sunny Randall book, Blue Screen, and read/listen to it before I read High Profile. I have read most of the Spencer Series but I enjoy the Jesse Stone books more. I think because Spencer is so together and Jesse is so flawed.

Love Dean Koontz, have his latest on my I-pod, haven't started it yet. Just finished Cross by Patterson and am looking for Double Cross in the used book stores.

I'm behind a book or to on Patrica Cornwall, if you haven't read her other book you should give them a try.

And Lynn your are right audio books make housework and other chores more pleasant!!:D

Obsessive about books and reading in order, etc.? I repeat: WELCOME!!!!

Our cruises on the Ecstasy are a combination of logistic and a love of Blues. One of the radio stations in our area sponsors an annual Blues Cruise. It's a three day cruise and if we like the acts on board and are available that weekend we usually try to go.

Where do I go to edit my profile? I haven't made that a priority because I have been having to much fun following the different threads.:rolleyes:

Karen

Holiday 03/23/01

Celebration 07/30/01

Ecstasy 03/15/02

Ecstasy 09/27/02

Ecstasy 03/28/03

Elation 06/15/03

Ecstasy 03/26/04

Carnival Spirit 11/15/06

Yes, Sunny Randall, and you are right Jesse Stone being flawed (human) makes the books a much better read.

Jim

Our cruises on the Ecstasy are a combination of logistic and a love of Blues. One of the radio stations in our area sponsors an annual Blues Cruise. It's a three day cruise and if we like the acts on board and are available that weekend we usually try to go.

Where do I go to edit my profile? I haven't made that a priority because I have been having to much fun following the different threads.:rolleyes:

Karen

Holiday 03/23/01

Celebration 07/30/01

Ecstasy 03/15/02

Ecstasy 09/27/02

Ecstasy 03/28/03

Elation 06/15/03

Ecstasy 03/26/04

Carnival Spirit 11/15/06

Went on the Ecstasy in 06 out of Galveston (our first as a platinum member) and got upgraded to the Owners suite. It will always be a favorite ship to me! In regards to to editing your signature, in the cruisecritic box at the top of the screen, their is a hot link for user CP, click on that and there is a link for editing signature on the next screen.

Jim

We took the five day out of Galveston on the Celebration 2001. It was our first cruise with our kids and we all had a great time!! I did find where to edit the profiles, this will be my first post since I updated everything we will see how it works.

Karen

We took the five day out of Galveston on the Celebration 2001. It was our first cruise with our kids and we all had a great time!! I did find where to edit the profiles, this will be my first post since I updated everything we will see how it works.

Karen

Works just fine. Celebration was our first cruise as well (back in 96), the 1st is always very memorable. Sad that Celebration is leaving the Carnival family.

I love this thread!!!:D I noticed it the other day but didn’t get to read through it until today. I have been and audio book fan for years. I used to get them on tape, I had a small-cassette player that had adjustable speeds. I would crank it up as fast as it would go and listen away. My husband thought I was crazy. :p I went through about three of those players and two portable CD players (couldn’t adjust the speed on those, had trouble getting used to listening to normal speed) before I got my I-pod.

Usually I get my audio books at the library or at the used book store. I only “read” unabridged and used books are much cheaper also once I put them on my I-pod I sell them back to the used bookstore reducing the price even more. Because the number of titles is limited at the library and at the used book store I tend to listen to books I might not try otherwise. I have not tried any of the audio book sights yet

I will have to check them out. I like all types of books but read a lot of mysteries and suspense. Some of my favorite authors are:

Dick Francis Mysteries

Robert Parker Mysteries

James Patterson Mysteries

Lisa Scottoline Mysteries

Elisabeth Peters Mysteries

Sue Grafton Mysteries

Patricia Cornwell Mysteries

John Grisham Mysteries

Kay Hooper Mysteries

Janet Evonovich Mysteries/Romance

Dean Koonts Horror/Suspense

Diana Gabaldon Historic/Romantic/Fantasy?

Sherrilyn Kenyon Romantic/Humorous/Horror?

Nora Roberts Romantic/Fantasy

Well I could go on and on and on.

I have noticed that different publishers approach how they produce their CD’s differently. Most of them have anywhere from 9 to 20 tracks per CD at about 14 minutes to 3 minutes per track. That is not true of Brilliance Books on CD they tend to have about 99 tracks per CD at about 30 seconds per track. This can be rather a bother when downloading them onto I –tunes. :cool: I try to avoid these CD’s but sometimes it’s just a book you’ve got to read.

Told you I could go on and on.:D

I love mysteries but not really scary or gory ones. So, that being said, what authors do you think you could recommend for me? I've never read Robert Parker and haven't read anything by Dick Francis in many, many years. How about either of these? I really enjoy books along the lines of Janet Evanovich's if you have any more suggestions like those. I've read all of hers.

I shouldn't be such a wimp since I'm a criminal court reporter, but I am <g>.

Thanks!

Lynn

I didn't realize that the Celebration was going to be retired. Is it just the Celebration or that whole class of ship?:confused:

Just the Celebration. It is being sold to a Carnival owned SPanish line they started, name escapes me.

I love mysteries but not really scary or gory ones. So, that being said, what authors do you think you could recommend for me? I've never read Robert Parker and haven't read anything by Dick Francis in many, many years. How about either of these? I really enjoy books along the lines of Janet Evanovich's if you have any more suggestions like those. I've read all of hers.

I shouldn't be such a wimp since I'm a criminal court reporter, but I am <g>.

Thanks!

Lynn

Robert Parker has the Spenser series, kind of a hip macho wise cracking private detective based in Boston who has a side kick named Hawk a street tough no nonsense guy. Also has two other series, a female private eye named Sunny Randell (also based in Boston area), and a police Chief from a small town outside Boston named Jesse Stone. As Karen mentioned Jesse Stone ahs faults, divorced but still in love with his ex (sort of any way) amd has a drinking problem, but is a good cop. All have some good humor as well, but not quite in the Evanovich manner or fashion.

Jim

Robert Parker has the Spenser series, kind of a hip macho wise cracking private detective based in Boston who has a side kick named Hawk a street tough no nonsense guy. Also has two other series, a female private eye named Sunny Randell (also based in Boston area), and a police Chief from a small town outside Boston named Jesse Stone. As Karen mentioned Jesse Stone ahs faults, divorced but still in love with his ex (sort of any way) amd has a drinking problem, but is a good cop. All have some good humor as well, but not quite in the Evanovich manner or fashion.

Jim

Hmmm. They sound kind of interesting. Now don't flip out, but I never watched the Spenser series. I know, I know, it was VERY popular. Where was I?

I'm still in Scotland in the car <g> and Egypt at home <g>. I get around, don't I?

Lynn

Some good less graphic mystery writers are:

Linda Barnes has her Carlotta Carlyle series:

• A Trouble Of Fools (1987)
  • The Snake Tattoo (1989)
  • Coyote (1990)
  • Steel Guitar (1991)
  • Snapshot (1993)
  • Hardware (1995)
  • Cold Case (1997)
  • Flashpoint (1999)
  • The Big Dig (2002)
  • Deep Pockets (2004)
  • Heart Of The World (2006)

Lilian Jackson Braun's Cat Who Series

Martha Grimes' Richard Jury Series

Sara Paretsky's V.I WarshawskiLaurie R. King writes a wonderful Series based loosely on Sherlock Holmes

Carolyn Hart writes two good series.

Kay Hooper writes a couple of series.

Well that should keep you busy for awhile!!:D

• Coyote (1990)
  • Steel Guitar (1991)
  • Snapshot (1993)
  • Hardware (1995)
  • Cold Case (1997)
  • Flashpoint (1999)
  • The Big Dig (2002)
  • Deep Pockets (2004)

Sara Paretsky's V.I WarshawskiLaurie R. King writes a wonderful Series based loosely on Sherlock Holmes

Yes, that will definitely keep me busy for a while <g>. I've never read the Cat Who series, although I was checking them out recently online. There are a lot of them, so that's kind of neat. Actually, those are ALL great suggestions since Carolyn Hart is the only author on your list that I've read so far since I'm just starting to enjoy mysteries. Thank you so much!

Lynn

Hmmm. They sound kind of interesting. Now don't flip out, but I never watched the Spenser series. I know, I know, it was VERY popular. Where was I?

I'm still in Scotland in the car <g> and Egypt at home <g>. I get around, don't I?

Lynn

You do get around don't you! The Spenser series starred Robert Ulrich (deceased) and was kind of a macho thing. I loved it, but not sure it would have been your cup of tea.

• Coyote (1990)
  • Steel Guitar (1991)
  • Snapshot (1993)
  • Hardware (1995)
  • Cold Case (1997)
  • Flashpoint (1999)
  • The Big Dig (2002)
  • Deep Pockets (2004)

Wow, you are a wealth of information!!:) Keep them coming!!

Jim

You do get around don't you! The Spenser series starred Robert Ulrich (deceased) and was kind of a macho thing. I loved it, but not sure it would have been your cup of tea.

Maybe that's why I never got into that show, Jim. I'm definitely not macho <g>, as you know by now. I did, however, LOVE Robert Urich. I saw him one Christmas time when he hosted a candlelight show at EPCOT. Wow, that was WONDERFUL. It was after he was in remission and THOUGHT to be doing really well. He was great!

Lynn

I used to watch the show. Robert Ulrich was just too cute and I mean that literally. I had already read some of the books and I pictured someone rougher more like Stacy Keach. Now Hawk was another story I thought he was cast very well.;) I don't remember the actors name but he went on to be the captain in Deep Space Nine.

Lynn you should also look for Catherine Coulter.

I used to watch the show. Robert Ulrich was just too cute and I mean that literally. I had already read some of the books and I pictured someone rougher more like Stacy Keach. Now Hawk was another story I thought he was cast very well.;) I don't remember the actors name but he went on to be the captain in Deep Space Nine.

Lynn you should also look for Catherine Coulter.

I will. Thank you.

I just finished my FIRST Elizabeth Peters today, CROCODILE ON THE SANDBANK. I totally enjoyed that book! Now I want to read THAT whole series. Barbara Rosenblat is such a FABULOUS narrator.

Lynn