Audio Books

LynnAB

I know. I was wondering the same thing, too ... so I Googled info on Lisa Scottoline. Apparently, yes, she is from Pennsylvania and has had an interest in the coal fields for a long time. I, on the other hand, knew NOTHING about them. I Googled Centralia because I wondered if it was really true. It's an AMAZING story!!! I can't even believe how these fires are STILL burning underground up there and how this is virtually a ghost town now. What a story!!!!!!!! I really like that I LEARNED something from the book while I was enjoying the fun/escapism factor.

Lynn

I enjoy learning something in the books as well. I have listened to about a dozen nonfiction books as well. Somewhat harder to keep my interest at times but enjoyable. Tom Brokaw's The Greatest Generation and The Greatest Generation Speaks come to mind as well as Neil Armstrong's First Man .

I was referring to the free ones via the library (they might be unique in that manner). I did check the audible website and saw nothing there that refers to timeouts. You may want to email them and ask them specifically so that you know before (if) it happens.

Jim

That's exactly what I was thinking, too <g>. I'm now set up with NetLibrary and Overdrive, thanks to your mentioning those. For some reason I'm having a problem with NetLibrary, but Overdrive works perfectly. I downloaded one book (about Martha Stewart) as a test, and it came through perfectly. I do see that it has a check-out period of 21 days, so I'm assuming it times out.

I was thinking the same about Audible as you said. I don't see anything in their wording about timing out. Plus the fact, they offer the option of taking all 12 books for a year at once if you take the Gold membership in order to save a little bit of money. Who would do that if the books were going to time out. I think I will write to them, though, to confirm our thinking.

Thanks, Jim ...

Lynn

I enjoy learning something in the books as well. I have listened to about a dozen nonfiction books as well. Somewhat harder to keep my interest at times but enjoyable. Tom Brokaw's The Greatest Generation and The Greatest Generation Speaks come to mind as well as Neil Armstrong's First Man .

That sounds like ME. I want to be entertained with these books! Sometimes I feel like I have to "learn" too much on a daily basis in the real world. My books are escapism for FUN.

Lynn

Let me know how you make out. I may want to switch to audible when my simplyaudiobooks runs out. Just started Killer Smile the latest Lisa Scottoline book today.

All I can report so far is that their Customer Service is wonderful. They're very responsive and helpful. That's a good thing in my book (no pun intended).

Lynn

Lynn,

thought of another author to mention to you, David Baldacci. HE has a series of ones about The Camel Club a kind of eclectic mix of mystery solvers based in Washington. Also did another pretty good one called Saving Faith.

Hi, Jim,

The only David Baldacci I've listened to is CHRISTMAS TRAIN <g>. Yes, I know that's VERY different from his other books, but I enjoyed it.

I just started my first Elizabeth Peters book, CROCODILE ON THE SANDBANK. Have you read/listened to any of her books?

Lynn

Hi, Jim,

The only David Baldacci I've listened to is CHRISTMAS TRAIN <g>. Yes, I know that's VERY different from his other books, but I enjoyed it.

I just started my first Elizabeth Peters book, CROCODILE ON THE SANDBANK. Have you read/listened to any of her books?

Lynn

I did listen to the Christmas Train as well, and thanks for mentioning it as I am sure it is not on my list. Iw ill make sure I add it on. I have not listened to any Elisabeth Peters books. How is it so far?

I did listen to the Christmas Train as well, and thanks for mentioning it as I am sure it is not on my list. Iw ill make sure I add it on. I have not listened to any Elisabeth Peters books. How is it so far?

Well, let's see. I've read SO MANY fantastic reviews on Elizabeth Peters books that I felt compelled to try one. Plus, Barbara Rosenblat is the narrator for at least most if not all of these books. I'm only on the second disc so I can't give an in-depth review yet. The Amelia Peabody series apparently takes place mostly in Egypt. Elizabeth Peters has a doctorate in Egyptology, I read ... thus, her SERIOUS in-depth knowledge on the subject. From what I've read on different sites, the stories start in the late 1800s and cover many years in Egypt with digs and discoveries and lots of history intertwined. This is quite a departure from what I usually read so we'll have to see.

I just finished WE'LL ALWAYS HAVE PARROTS by Donna Andrews ... a very light, cozy mystery. It had good reviews, but I would just say it was so-so in my opinion. If I were READING the book, I probably would have skipped ahead (a bad habit of mine), but since I was LISTENING, I listened to the whole book. I'm finding that I can "endure" a lot more if someone is reading to me. Even something that isn't too fascinating takes on a better tone if there's a good narrator <g>.

Lynn

I'm really liking the spreadsheet idea! It's going to be fun seeing how much progress I make in 2008 <g>. Plus, it's helping me remember good narrators.

Lynn

I'm really liking the spreadsheet idea! It's going to be fun seeing how much progress I make in 2008 <g>. Plus, it's helping me remember good narrators.

Lynn

I just wish I had thought of it earlier. I was driving somewhere this weekend and listening to a book and all of a sudden it reminded me of another book and I could not for the life of me what the book was or even why the chapter I had just listened to sparked the fuzzy memory.

Well, let's see. I've read SO MANY fantastic reviews on Elizabeth Peters books that I felt compelled to try one. Plus, Barbara Rosenblat is the narrator for at least most if not all of these books. I'm only on the second disc so I can't give an in-depth review yet. The Amelia Peabody series apparently takes place mostly in Egypt. Elizabeth Peters has a doctorate in Egyptology, I read ... thus, her SERIOUS in-depth knowledge on the subject. From what I've read on different sites, the stories start in the late 1800s and cover many years in Egypt with digs and discoveries and lots of history intertwined. This is quite a departure from what I usually read so we'll have to see.

I just finished WE'LL ALWAYS HAVE PARROTS by Donna Andrews ... a very light, cozy mystery. It had good reviews, but I would just say it was so-so in my opinion. If I were READING the book, I probably would have skipped ahead (a bad habit of mine), but since I was LISTENING, I listened to the whole book. I'm finding that I can "endure" a lot more if someone is reading to me. Even something that isn't too fascinating takes on a better tone if there's a good narrator <g>.

Lynn

I find the same as well. With one exception. Sometimes when listening to a new book, I am tempted to stop because the beginning does not get me involved enough. I have actually stopped a couple of times. Believe it or not one classic example was to Kill a mocking bird. I did not think the reading was particularly good. Sometimes the only reason I continue is because I had listened to something else by the author.

Jim

I find the same as well. With one exception. Sometimes when listening to a new book, I am tempted to stop because the beginning does not get me involved enough. I have actually stopped a couple of times. Believe it or not one classic example was to Kill a mocking bird. I did not think the reading was particularly good. Sometimes the only reason I continue is because I had listened to something else by the author.

Jim

I soooooooooooooooooo understand what you're saying <g>. It's funny, too, how compulsive I'm becoming about audio books. I get such a cozy feeling when I know I have some great ones on the horizon, and they actually keep me company in a way when I'm driving or doing chores around the house. They're really wonderful!

I still haven't decided what I want do about Audible.com. I have a temporary wish list going, but I'm waiting to see how I like Elizabeth Peters. They have a great selection that my library does NOT have, so I MAY get some books there. I'm debating. I want to maximize my gift certifcate and get the best choices <g>.

I soooooooooooooooooo understand what you're saying <g>. It's funny, too, how compulsive I'm becoming about audio books. I get such a cozy feeling when I know I have some great ones on the horizon, and they actually keep me company in a way when I'm driving or doing chores around the house. They're really wonderful!

I still haven't decided what I want do about Audible.com. I have a temporary wish list going, but I'm waiting to see how I like Elizabeth Peters. They have a great selection that my library does NOT have, so I MAY get some books there. I'm debating. I want to maximize my gift certifcate and get the best choices <g>.

Absolutely, make the best use out of it and plan to do so. Use the audible for audio books hat you cannot either get for free or hard to get. Thats the silver lining for the process. I do that now with Libraries, Netlibrary and overdrive and my simplyaudiobooks.com

Jim

Absolutely, make the best use out of it and plan to do so. Use the audible for audio books hat you cannot either get for free or hard to get. Thats the silver lining for the process. I do that now with Libraries, Netlibrary and overdrive and my simplyaudiobooks.com

Jim

That's what I'm working on <g>. In fact, I'm torturing myself over this because I want to make the BEST use of the plan. First I thought I'd get all 12 books at once since they don't time out, but now I'm not so sure.

I haven't read it but apparently PILLARS OF THE EARTH by Ken Follett is very popular. I'm not sure, but it might be a MAN'S book more than a WOMAN'S book, so I thought I'd recommend it to you. HAVE you read it? If so, would you recommend it to ME ... or is it strictly for men, in your opinion?

Lynn

That's what I'm working on <g>. In fact, I'm torturing myself over this because I want to make the BEST use of the plan. First I thought I'd get all 12 books at once since they don't time out, but now I'm not so sure.

I haven't read it but apparently PILLARS OF THE EARTH by Ken Follett is very popular. I'm not sure, but it might be a MAN'S book more than a WOMAN'S book, so I thought I'd recommend it to you. HAVE you read it? If so, would you recommend it to ME ... or is it strictly for men, in your opinion?

Lynn

I have not. I will look into it later this week and let you know my thoughts. I have seen some of his audio books in the library, but they have not caught my eye enough to pick them up. I should be bringing back Killer Smile by Friday at the latest, so I will check it out and let you know.

Jim

I have not. I will look into it later this week and let you know my thoughts. I have seen some of his audio books in the library, but they have not caught my eye enough to pick them up. I should be bringing back Killer Smile by Friday at the latest, so I will check it out and let you know.

Jim

That's great. Thank you!

Why is it that now that I'm LISTENING to books, I'm obsessed with hearing as many as possible? I want to hear everything <g>.

Lynn

That's great. Thank you!

Why is it that now that I'm LISTENING to books, I'm obsessed with hearing as many as possible? I want to hear everything <g>.

Lynn

It is interesting isn't it. I think it partly because it is a new media, but mostly because it frees more of you up to really listen an interpret (or escape) into the book or the story. Sometimes when I read or listened to a book and then see a movie made from the book, I really CONNECT to it as it is exactly as I thought it was in my mind, other times they are way off. Even though I know you are not a fan of his, Stephen King's IT was made into a made for TV movie. While the ending was done terribly (IMHO), the casting of the characters and the story were exactly as I had seen them in my minds eye. Long winded way of saying I agree with the wanting more aspect you mentioned.

Jim

It is interesting isn't it. I think it partly because it is a new media, but mostly because it frees more of you up to really listen an interpret (or escape) into the book or the story. Sometimes when I read or listened to a book and then see a movie made from the book, I really CONNECT to it as it is exactly as I thought it was in my mind, other times they are way off. Even though I know you are not a fan of his, Stephen King's IT was made into a made for TV movie. While the ending was done terribly (IMHO), the casting of the characters and the story were exactly as I had seen them in my minds eye. Long winded way of saying I agree with the wanting more aspect you mentioned.

Jim

I have always been an avid BOOK reader, but I'm even more compulsive about my audio books now. I never leave the house without my little Cowon in my purse. Whenever I'm "stuck" for a few mintues somewhere, I always have a book handy. I love that! I was even walking through Costco this morning shopping for New Year's Eve snacks and listening to my book. That was a first for me! Fun!

I love this thread!!!:D I noticed it the other day but didn’t get to read through it until today. I have been and audio book fan for years. I used to get them on tape, I had a small-cassette player that had adjustable speeds. I would crank it up as fast as it would go and listen away. My husband thought I was crazy. :p I went through about three of those players and two portable CD players (couldn’t adjust the speed on those, had trouble getting used to listening to normal speed) before I got my I-pod.

Usually I get my audio books at the library or at the used book store. I only “read” unabridged and used books are much cheaper also once I put them on my I-pod I sell them back to the used bookstore reducing the price even more. Because the number of titles is limited at the library and at the used book store I tend to listen to books I might not try otherwise. I have not tried any of the audio book sights yet

I will have to check them out. I like all types of books but read a lot of mysteries and suspense. Some of my favorite authors are:

Dick Francis Mysteries

Robert Parker Mysteries

James Patterson Mysteries

Lisa Scottoline Mysteries

Elisabeth Peters Mysteries

Sue Grafton Mysteries

Patricia Cornwell Mysteries

John Grisham Mysteries

Kay Hooper Mysteries

Janet Evonovich Mysteries/Romance

Dean Koonts Horror/Suspense

Diana Gabaldon Historic/Romantic/Fantasy?

Sherrilyn Kenyon Romantic/Humorous/Horror?

Nora Roberts Romantic/Fantasy

Well I could go on and on and on.

I have noticed that different publishers approach how they produce their CD’s differently. Most of them have anywhere from 9 to 20 tracks per CD at about 14 minutes to 3 minutes per track. That is not true of Brilliance Books on CD they tend to have about 99 tracks per CD at about 30 seconds per track. This can be rather a bother when downloading them onto I –tunes. :cool: I try to avoid these CD’s but sometimes it’s just a book you’ve got to read.

Told you I could go on and on.:D

I love this thread!!!:D I noticed it the other day but didn’t get to read through it until today. I have been and audio book fan for years. I used to get them on tape, I had a small-cassette player that had adjustable speeds. I would crank it up as fast as it would go and listen away. My husband thought I was crazy. :p I went through about three of those players and two portable CD players (couldn’t adjust the speed on those, had trouble getting used to listening to normal speed) before I got my I-pod.

Usually I get my audio books at the library or at the used book store. I only “read” unabridged and used books are much cheaper also once I put them on my I-pod I sell them back to the used bookstore reducing the price even more. Because the number of titles is limited at the library and at the used book store I tend to listen to books I might not try otherwise. I have not tried any of the audio book sights yet

I will have to check them out. I like all types of books but read a lot of mysteries and suspense. Some of my favorite authors are:

Dick Francis Mysteries

Robert Parker Mysteries

Sue Grafton Mysteries

John Grisham Mysteries

Kay Hooper Mysteries

I have noticed that different publishers approach how they produce their CD’s differently. Most of them have anywhere from 9 to 20 tracks per CD at about 14 minutes to 3 minutes per track. That is not true of Brilliance Books on CD they tend to have about 99 tracks per CD at about 30 seconds per track. This can be rather a bother when downloading them onto I –tunes. :cool: I try to avoid these CD’s but sometimes it’s just a book you’ve got to read.

That's fine! Feel free to go on and on and on and on and on ... I just LOVE this topic, too, and started it because I don't see a lot of discussion about audio books. I'm fairly "new" to listening to books and have become quite obsessed. I feel like I'm really IN the book when I'm listening to it ... in my own little world. I'm loving always having my player with me, loaded with several books at a time "just in case." This is sooooo much fun.

I just "discovered" Lisa Scottoline recently and read my first book of hers, Dirty Blonde. I want to listen to all of her books and have been getting them from the library recently. I like her writing style A LOT and LOVE hearing Barbara Rosenblat read them.

I see Diana Gabaldon on your list. Have you listened to the whole Outlander series? I'm in the middle of the third book (Voyager) right now. I listen to that series in my car while I'm driving.

In my player that I carry around I now have the first Elizabeth Peters mystery, The Crocodile on the Sandbank. I haven't gotten too far in these yet, so I haven't formed a total opinion on these books. Have you read the series? If so, how would you rate the whole series in general?

Gosh, this is fun! Do you have any recommendations for your personal favorite books???

Lynn

I just finished listening to Devils Corner by Lisa Scottoline and have an Elizabeth Peters on my I-pod but haven't started it. I love Elizabeth Peters books they are so tongue in cheek, I have read most of hers. I have read everything Diana Gabaldon except the latest Lord John book that just came out. Love her books!

Favorite books:

Dick Francis Proof

Robert Parker's Jesse Stone Books

James Patterson Women's Murder Club Mysteries

Janet Evonovich Everything Dean Koonts Dark Rivers of the Heart,

One Door Away From Heaven

Diana Gabaldon Everything

Don't remember who the author is but I love Watership Down of course all the Harry Potter books. I always loved the Mary Stewart books about King Arthur The Crystal Cave and three others. If you like science fantasy there is Anne McCaffrey series about Pern. Once again I could go on and on, but it is time for bed so I'll think about others and get back to you.;)

Jim

Good morning, Jim,

We have a new audio reader here in our group who has read the Outlander series, too. I think maybe now you'll have to give them a try and see what YOU think <g>.

Lynn

I just finished listening to Devils Corner by Lisa Scottoline and have an Elizabeth Peters on my I-pod but haven't started it. I love Elizabeth Peters books they are so tongue in cheek, I have read most of hers. I have read everything Diana Gabaldon except the latest Lord John book that just came out. Love her books!

Favorite books:

Dick Francis Proof

Robert Parker's Jesse Stone Books

James Patterson Women's Murder Club Mysteries

Janet Evonovich Everything Dean Koonts Dark Rivers of the Heart,

One Door Away From Heaven

Diana Gabaldon Everything

Don't remember who the author is but I love Watership Down of course all the Harry Potter books. I always loved the Mary Stewart books about King Arthur The Crystal Cave and three others. If you like science fantasy there is Anne McCaffrey series about Pern. Once again I could go on and on, but it is time for bed so I'll think about others and get back to you.;)

Wow, you're way ahead of me, but I'm trying hard to catch up <g>. I'm spending a lot of time listening. I didn't even mind cleaning my kitchen and vacuuming the other day. It sure helps pass the time when you can be engrossed in a book at the same time. Today I have to go to a job which is about 40 miles from my house each way. Normally I wouldn't want to drive that far. Today I'm calculating how much time I'll have to listen to my Voyager book even if I get stuck in traffic. Unbelievable!

Wow! Mary Stewart! I read all of her books years ago!!! Too long ago!!! I'd love to RE-read them. Are they available in CD or mp3 format? I'll have to check that out.

Dick Francis is another writer I READ many years ago and then just didn't anymore for whatever reason. I think it's time to rediscover his books. The other day when I was at the library a woman was talking to her daughter about loving his books.

What I'm really FUZZY on is: You speed your books up to listen to them? Why? Do you still enjoy them? Do you still do that? I'm confused <g>.

Lynn

Good morning, Jim,

We have a new audio reader here in our group who has read the Outlander series, too. I think maybe now you'll have to give them a try and see what YOU think <g>.

Lynn

I think you are right. :)

Dick Francis Mysteries

Robert Parker Mysteries

Sue Grafton Mysteries

John Grisham Mysteries

Kay Hooper Mysteries

I echo Lynn's comments. Please feel free to discuss any and all.

Jim