Audio Books

LynnAB

We have 5 and only the one I helped move cannot come home. Most are local, two live on Long Island, which is not that far. As she is just starting, she has to work both Christmas eve and day.

WOW! Five! Wow! At least you'll have most of your children home, which is nice. I grew up on Long Island!!! I lived in Huntington until I was 19 (many years ago <g>).

WOW! Five! Wow! At least you'll have most of your children home, which is nice. I grew up on Long Island!!! I lived in Huntington until I was 19 (many years ago <g>).

I think I have you beat on the many many years ago part, Huntington is kinda in the middle of where both of them live, got a call from the daughter who now lives in Texas telling me she thinks she may have worked out a way to be home (only for 2 days and is costing a her a pretty penny), but will surprise my wife on Christmas eve. Hope it comes to pass. Started listening to the Lisa Scottoline book this AM ride in. We had a snow storm yesterday took me 4 hours to get home. Good news is that it allowed me to finish an audio book to pass the time.

I think I have you beat on the many many years ago part, Huntington is kinda in the middle of where both of them live, got a call from the daughter who now lives in Texas telling me she thinks she may have worked out a way to be home (only for 2 days and is costing a her a pretty penny), but will surprise my wife on Christmas eve. Hope it comes to pass. Started listening to the Lisa Scottoline book this AM ride in. We had a snow storm yesterday took me 4 hours to get home. Good news is that it allowed me to finish an audio book to pass the time.

Oh, wow! Four hours to get home!!! I remember those days up north during snowstorms. Even here in South Florida I've had my moments of LONG commutes. I work in Miami and the drive can be horrible sometimes with traffic and accidents.

Don't be so sure that you have me beat on the many, many years ago <g>. I think you're wrong <g>.

How is the Lisa Scottoline book? Which one are you listening to? I haven't started ANY of hers yet, but they have really good reviews so I'm anxious. I'm still in the Scottish highlands and probably will be for a while. On my Cowon I'm listening to a really light, fluffy, silly book called A Christmas Caroline by Kyle Smith. Cute and light ... perfect for while I'm doing the dishes and straightening up around the house. Actually, it's good for now because of the heavy duty Dragonfly in Amber that I'm listening to in my car.

Gosh, I hope your daughter gets home for Christmas Eve!!!!!!!!!! That would be fantastic. I can just imagine your wife's excitement.

Lynn

The book I am listening to is Dirty Blond. So far so good, about 20% in so far. Just finished yesterday my second T.C. Boyle book, Tortilla Curtain, it was OK.

Oh, good. I'm hoping her books are good because there are quite a few and they sound interesting! Thanks for the 20% review <g>.

Lynn

The book I am listening to is Dirty Blond. So far so good, about 20% in so far. Just finished yesterday my second T.C. Boyle book, Tortilla Curtain, it was OK.

Oh, good. I'm hoping her books are good because there are quite a few and they sound interesting! Thanks for the 20% review <g>.

Lynn

Well I just found this thread and thought I would jump in and have a go at putting in my 2 cents! :) My wife's best friend and her hubby are blind and she turned my wife on to books on tape many years ago (pretty much before the CDD era!). Since then my wife has introduced me to them and I absolutely love them! I used to be a serious reader putting down several books a week, but of course life has a way of getting in the way. The job I have had for the past 10 years is about 45 min to 2 hours (San Diego traffic!) away from my house. We typically get the books on CD and that way we will have them for the car (this was before our new cars which have MP3 jacks!) and then I would just take them and rip them on the computer to MP3 files so I could take them on the go. I work for an electronics mfg so I have been using MP3 players for years. Well I finally happened upon a new MP3 player that I really love! It is a Sony Video Walkman. I can rip DVDs to MP4 files and load them on the player to watch a movie, I can load books on, put on family pics, the only thing it won't do is make me coffee! :D I got the 8 GB version and although I am not sure what they go for retail (employee discount) I know that they are very competitive with others in this class. This one even uses standard Microsoft Media Player 10 unlike the older Sony models of MP3 player which use propriatary software. I use a program called DVDFab Platinum to rip my DVDs to MP4 files too. It allows you to select various sizes, etc with preset values for cell phones, PSPs, etc. It takes a long time (1 hour more or less) to rip a DVD, but it works well. The movies will be aroun 1.5 GB once ripped so you have to plan everything around that. But then again a Harry Potter book is pretty big once it is ripped too! :D So I always keep my laptop handy with books, music, movies, pictures etc handy. This way I can also download any pictures I take with my digital camera.

I agree that Jim Dale is one of the all time great narrators! He has such depth to his voice and has such a wide range of "charecter" voices. It is also nice that he has narrated ALL the HP books so it carries through and is familiar, if that makes sense.

Personally I am looking forward to sitting on the balcony with a good audio book, turn on the noise cancelling headphones and just get away from everything! Just bring me a good single malt at 4:00 and make sure I'm ready for dinner at 5:00! :D I will be so ready for my vacation by March! This has really been one heck of a year!

Mike

Well I just found this thread and thought I would jump in and have a go at putting in my 2 cents! :) My wife's best friend and her hubby are blind and she turned my wife on to books on tape many years ago (pretty much before the CDD era!). Since then my wife has introduced me to them and I absolutely love them! I used to be a serious reader putting down several books a week, but of course life has a way of getting in the way. The job I have had for the past 10 years is about 45 min to 2 hours (San Diego traffic!) away from my house. We typically get the books on CD and that way we will have them for the car (this was before our new cars which have MP3 jacks!) and then I would just take them and rip them on the computer to MP3 files so I could take them on the go. I work for an electronics mfg so I have been using MP3 players for years. Well I finally happened upon a new MP3 player that I really love! It is a Sony Video Walkman. I can rip DVDs to MP4 files and load them on the player to watch a movie, I can load books on, put on family pics, the only thing it won't do is make me coffee! :D I got the 8 GB version and although I am not sure what they go for retail (employee discount) I know that they are very competitive with others in this class. This one even uses standard Microsoft Media Player 10 unlike the older Sony models of MP3 player which use propriatary software. I use a program called DVDFab Platinum to rip my DVDs to MP4 files too. It allows you to select various sizes, etc with preset values for cell phones, PSPs, etc. It takes a long time (1 hour more or less) to rip a DVD, but it works well. The movies will be aroun 1.5 GB once ripped so you have to plan everything around that. But then again a Harry Potter book is pretty big once it is ripped too! :D So I always keep my laptop handy with books, music, movies, pictures etc handy. This way I can also download any pictures I take with my digital camera.

I agree that Jim Dale is one of the all time great narrators! He has such depth to his voice and has such a wide range of "charecter" voices. It is also nice that he has narrated ALL the HP books so it carries through and is familiar, if that makes sense.

Personally I am looking forward to sitting on the balcony with a good audio book, turn on the noise cancelling headphones and just get away from everything! Just bring me a good single malt at 4:00 and make sure I'm ready for dinner at 5:00! :D I will be so ready for my vacation by March! This has really been one heck of a year!

Mike

Hi, Mike,

Welcome to this thread!!! I'm really anxious to talk about audio books, narrators, the DVD software, etc. I just walked in the door and have to finish a job I'm working on, but I'll be back later. For now, HI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynn

Hi, Jim,

How is Dirty Blonde? I may have to move that to the top of my listening list if it's worth it <g>.

I've been transcribing all day today (in between researching books, that is <g>), so I'm tired. I think I'll go relax and maybe go shopping for a while. Then I can listen to Dragonfly in Amber in the car.

Lynn

Mike

Hi, Mike,

You sound like me with the commute in the morning, although my rush hour traffic is going down to Miami. We're at opposite ends of the country <g>.

I'm really falling in love with audio books! I bought a Cowon D2 about a month ago, and it's fabulous. I'm also putting some of my DVDs on there so I can watch them on the fly. I enjoy having my music, photos, movies, and most importantly AUDIO BOOKS with me wherever I go.

I bought the 4gb Cowon and an 8gb SD card, so I'm up to 12gb now. I really enjoy the SD expansion capability.

The only Jim Dale book I've listened to is A Christmas Carol, but I'm thinking about going through the Harry Potter series. Have you listened to all of them?

Do you have any great AUDIO BOOK recommendations? So far, since I've just started, I'm listening to the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. They're very, very, very long but very interesting. You and/or your wife might want to give them a try if you like those kinds of books. They're historical/time travel, which I generally don't read, but these books are quite amazing.

I'd love to hear YOUR recommendations!

Thanks,

Lynn

Hi, Jim,

How is Dirty Blonde? I may have to move that to the top of my listening list if it's worth it <g>.

I've been transcribing all day today (in between researching books, that is <g>), so I'm tired. I think I'll go relax and maybe go shopping for a while. Then I can listen to Dragonfly in Amber in the car.

Lynn

Pretty good, have not had much of a chance to listen since my last update. But so far it's about a divorced single newly appointed female judge, who has a racey nightlife (one night stands). Read by the same person (I am terrible with names) that reads all of the Nevada Barr books. By the way have you read/listened to any of those?

Mike

Mike, I echo Lynn's welcome. Would love to hear about your listening exploits. Both good and not so good. By the way, the Spirit is one of my favorite ships.

I don't know if any of you saw that movie awhile back called The Bone Collector, but there is a whole series of books and that movie was based on one of the books by Jeffery Deaver (Lincoln Rhyme Series). Well our friend loaned me the whole series and they are really good. Kind of a police/investigator tpye dealing with homocides and forensics, etc. If you like that type you'll love them. As usual, the book was much better than the movie! :)

My wife has gotten a few humorous type novels, one of which was "Lean, Mean, Thirteen" by Janet Evonovich (not sure on spelling). It's a female bounty hunter and her adventures (or misadventures) are hysterical. I think it may be a series, but I'm not sure.

And of course we have the whole Harry Potter Series, which was excellent. I don't think we have the final book, I'm not even sure if it is out yet.

The only things I've run into that are stinkers are some I have gotten from the Library. Moby Dick comes immediately to mind. That book is long and tedious to start with that the reader was a VERY monotone, boring guy. I never even finished it! I was afraid I'd fall asleep and wreck the car! :eek:

Of course, IMHO, you can never go wrong with John Grisham. I've read most of his books on CD and/or the paper type books! I do still love to pick up a bound bunch of papers!

If you are new to books on tape/CD, be aware that quite often there is the abridged and unabridged editions. The unabridged is always much more expensive, but in my opinion, they are worth the extra, even if you have to save up to get it!

I've burned through most of the books on CD from the library that I even thought might be interesting (I'm not even the slightest bit interested in Romance type novels!). Of course that was long before MP3 players with enough memory were affordable so I never burned a library book to my PC, but I just might have to think about it....;)

Mike

I don't know if any of you saw that movie awhile back called The Bone Collector, but there is a whole series of books and that movie was based on one of the books by Jeffery Deaver (Lincoln Rhyme Series). Well our friend loaned me the whole series and they are really good. Kind of a police/investigator tpye dealing with homocides and forensics, etc. If you like that type you'll love them. As usual, the book was much better than the movie! :)

My wife has gotten a few humorous type novels, one of which was "Lean, Mean, Thirteen" by Janet Evonovich (not sure on spelling). It's a female bounty hunter and her adventures (or misadventures) are hysterical. I think it may be a series, but I'm not sure.

And of course we have the whole Harry Potter Series, which was excellent. I don't think we have the final book, I'm not even sure if it is out yet.

The only things I've run into that are stinkers are some I have gotten from the Library. Moby Dick comes immediately to mind. That book is long and tedious to start with that the reader was a VERY monotone, boring guy. I never even finished it! I was afraid I'd fall asleep and wreck the car! :eek:

Of course, IMHO, you can never go wrong with John Grisham. I've read most of his books on CD and/or the paper type books! I do still love to pick up a bound bunch of papers!

If you are new to books on tape/CD, be aware that quite often there is the abridged and unabridged editions. The unabridged is always much more expensive, but in my opinion, they are worth the extra, even if you have to save up to get it!

I've burned through most of the books on CD from the library that I even thought might be interesting (I'm not even the slightest bit interested in Romance type novels!). Of course that was long before MP3 players with enough memory were affordable so I never burned a library book to my PC, but I just might have to think about it....;)

Mike

Pretty good, have not had much of a chance to listen since my last update. But so far it's about a divorced single newly appointed female judge, who has a racey nightlife (one night stands). Read by the same person (I am terrible with names) that reads all of the Nevada Barr books. By the way have you read/listened to any of those?

Hi, Jim,

No, I haven't read/listened to ANY Nevada Barr books. Are they good? I've heard OF them, of course, but never tried any.

You mentioned this is the same narrator for both series. Is that a GOOD thing?

Lynn

Mike

Hi, Mike,

I've read that series your wife started by Janet Evanovich ... in book form, though ... not audio. They're funny!

Please ask your wife if she has any good recommendations for audio books, too. She may know of some good ones that I would love from a female perspective. Thanks!

Lynn

Hi, Jim,

No, I haven't read/listened to ANY Nevada Barr books. Are they good? I've heard OF them, of course, but never tried any.

You mentioned this is the same narrator for both series. Is that a GOOD thing?

Lynn

Yes, it is a good thing. She is a good narrator. The Nevada Barr books are a series based upon a female park ranger named Anna Pigeon. Anna seems to travel from park to park all over the country and has to solve some crimes that she encounters. Also gives good incite to the natioanla parks and what they have as features.

Mike

Thanks, I did love the bone collector movie, I will look for the Lincoln Rymes series. I think you might like all of the series by Evanovich. They are about a female bounty hunter named Stephanie Plum, all very good and very funny. Read through some of the older posts, there are ways you can download audio books from libraries for free as well as some reasonable pay services.

Yes, it is a good thing. She is a good narrator. The Nevada Barr books are a series based upon a female park ranger named Anna Pigeon. Anna seems to travel from park to park all over the country and has to solve some crimes that she encounters. Also gives good incite to the natioanla parks and what they have as features.

I think you're talking about Barbara Rosenblat as the narrator, right? I see her name come up a LOT. Apparently she's one of the "top" narrators. I'll have to check out the Nevada Barr books, too! Thanks!

I think you're talking about Barbara Rosenblat as the narrator, right? I see her name come up a LOT. Apparently she's one of the "top" narrators. I'll have to check out the Nevada Barr books, too! Thanks!

Yes, that is it, as I have told you, I am terrible with names. I have listened to her with multiple authors.

You know it's funny but I lost my connection while trying to post yesterday and it told me it couldn't post so I was all prepared to retype the whole thing, I look today and not only did it take the post, but the darned thing posted twice! LOL! Just one of those days I suppose!

Back a few years ago I did subscribe to Audible, but at that time they were just getting started and really didn't have much, so I dropped them. I keep meaning to check back, but keep forgetting! Since my wife's friend is blind, she has access to some really good resources for audio books and every time I go over there she loads me down with books! LOL! I think she trades with other friends or something. I will get back to Audible and check them out again though. I thought they ahd a really easy system to use and my only complaint was the selection, but as I said they had just started so it is to be expected. Since I work quite a ways from home I have scavanged the shelves of the library near my house as well as the one near work and read just about all they have! :D Time to start driving to the next town over! ;)

I will get some recommendations from my wife as well as from her friend. I'm sure they read stuff they don't even bother telling me about! :D Personally I love a good Stephen King or Dean Koontz novel myself! Although I am a sucker for any of the military "black ops" type books too. Okay, actually you know, I really do like just about anything short of romance! Just call me eclectic!

Mike

You know it's funny but I lost my connection while trying to post yesterday and it told me it couldn't post so I was all prepared to retype the whole thing, I look today and not only did it take the post, but the darned thing posted twice! LOL! Just one of those days I suppose!

Back a few years ago I did subscribe to Audible, but at that time they were just getting started and really didn't have much, so I dropped them. I keep meaning to check back, but keep forgetting! Since my wife's friend is blind, she has access to some really good resources for audio books and every time I go over there she loads me down with books! LOL! I think she trades with other friends or something. I will get back to Audible and check them out again though. I thought they ahd a really easy system to use and my only complaint was the selection, but as I said they had just started so it is to be expected. Since I work quite a ways from home I have scavanged the shelves of the library near my house as well as the one near work and read just about all they have! :D Time to start driving to the next town over! ;)

I will get some recommendations from my wife as well as from her friend. I'm sure they read stuff they don't even bother telling me about! :D Personally I love a good Stephen King or Dean Koontz novel myself! Although I am a sucker for any of the military "black ops" type books too. Okay, actually you know, I really do like just about anything short of romance! Just call me eclectic!

Mike

While I know that they are not Lynn's cup of tea, I have listened too everything Dean Koontz (with the possible exception his latest) and Stephen King have done. I especially like when Stephen King has read some of his own, Bag of Bones comes to mind. I also believe that there are some additional items he has on audio, just for the blind. I have also listened to most, if not all of the Tom Clancy (and the Web Griffen books also).

That's okay! You know what you like, and that's all that matters.

You know, I was actually thinking about this on the drive in this morning. I think I will add the narrator to my log as well as the book and author. Will slow down the process of making it complete somewhat but what the heck.