Honey Stung Chicken Recipe?

It was on the Allure, Explorer and Oasis room service menu. It can be quite good, but it has to be freshly made. Enjoy everyone!

Honey Stung Chicken is purchased "frozen" and then heated. It used to be freshly prepared and then RCI found out that Mr. Tyson can do it for considerable less money.:p

I'm saddened to hear that....I too thought all food was prepared fresh.

We did too, until our last cruise....cruised with a gluten free person, found out the hard way that they do not prepare any of the pastries, breads or sauces on board either, they are carried on from land, which created zero choices and a very lack luster menu for our friend.....and was also probably why we found the food so mediocre. It's too funny, we raced to Windjammer to try Honey Stung Chicken, as we had read so much on CC.....a very sore disappointment....we thought it tasted like frozen bagged chicken.....yuck....and I guess we were correct! I don't buy or even make that at home...ewww! Sore disappointment to us for sure as was most of the food.

You are wrong about the bread/rolls/pastry Buddy. It is prepared and baked fresh every day . They make the rolls before early seating and again during early seating for the late seating. I have been on a galley tour and one of the stops was the proofing room for the bread. I didn't want to leave there it smelled so good. There were big bowls of dough rising in there and rolls rising as well. The sauces are prepared fresh as well. I ordered She crab soup which was not on the menu and it was there for me the next night (and the next 2 as well) Don't know where you got your information,but it is incorrect. Our tour was on Voyager and the Sous Chef was our guide.

I have to chime in here....

I am a honey stung chicken lover and couldn't wait to have it on the Freedom in October, but boy was I surprised! My beloved honey stung fried chicken was replaced with a piece of chicken that was coated in very loose breadcrumbs and tasted nothing like the real honey stung chicken I was expecting!!! :eek::eek: This is not a joke, it was a huge disappointment!!!!!!!!!!!:(

Yes, they have changed it. For the first time I was a little disappointed in the flattened breast piece instead of the pieces. I don't understand why they change things when they are so popular. Wish we had the old Honey Stung back.

Oh come on people, who ever advertised it as being any thing else OTHER than a frozen, processed chicken patty? :confused:

If you get it fresh just as they put it out , its not too bad but in the end, its a PROCESSED frozen piece of chicken and the only "hype" about it is the fact that it means you are finally on your Royal Caribbean cruise. At one time it was only offered in the WJ on embarkation day correct?

Its kinda like the Carnival melting chocolate cake in that sense...........to me, that was one of the worst desserts I have EVER tried BUT its pretty much a Carnival exclusive and means you are on one of their ships. People either love it or they hate it........much like honey stung chicken.

As far as it being changed, it has always looked like the pic above that Norberts Niece posted but I have only been cruising Royal Caribbean since 2010.

I am so glad I saw this post. I leave saturday on the Radiance and I will have to try this "chicken". Looking forward to it. My DH will not eat at the windjammer. He feels it is too risky to get sick there. We try to be the first ones on board that way I can get him there before it gets crowded and he will eat there that one time only. Since I only get to go once I have to be choosy about what I get. But I will for sure try this chicken. :D

Thats too bad. We only eat in the WJ anymore as MDR takes way too long and MTD you still have to make a reservation. WJ is truly My Time Dining and has the exact same menu as the MDR. Eating revolves around our schedule on the ship and now that we've come to that decision, we never feel rushed as the WJ is always there waiting for us.

I'm saddened to hear that....I too thought all food was prepared fresh.

On a nine or twelve day cruise, it would be tough to serve things fresh the entire time. I don't think many things would keep that long.

On a nine or twelve day cruise, it would be tough to serve things fresh the entire time. I don't think many things would keep that long.

Not to mention the fact that serving up everything "fresh" for 2000 - 6000 passengers is virtually impossible! Especially on about a 10.00 per person, per day food budget.

Thats too bad. We only eat in the WJ anymore as MDR takes way too long and MTD you still have to make a reservation. WJ is truly My Time Dining and has the exact same menu as the MDR. Eating revolves around our schedule on the ship and now that we've come to that decision, we never feel rushed as the WJ is always there waiting for us.

Hi,

You do not have to make reservations for MTD. You can if you want but you don't HAVE to. :)

Hi,

You do not have to make reservations for MTD. You can if you want but you don't HAVE to. :)

We use to book MTD all the time, but when we had 4 in our party, and showed up, they always told us they were full and to return in a hour. And when we had 2 in the party and wanted a table for two, we had issues with that and have always been advised to book for the following night before you left the DR. To me, MTD mean you can show up and be seated immediately. So IMHO, MTD on RCI doesn't really mean what it says. I guess we alwayss pick around 7 pm.

We've tried it 2-3 times and have not been impressed. A waste of calories:rolleyes:

After all of the good press on CC I too anticipated trying this chicken. I have to say I was disappointed. Just another frozen processed piece of chicken. They did serve it twice on our seven day cruise on Brilliance. Maybe there were leftovers:eek:

The different breads and danish pastries were really good in all the different venues:)

Honey stung chicken is also available on the room service menu and is served with sweet potato fries. I find the room service version much better than the Windjammer. It may be because it isn't sitting in on steam table getting all soggy. The room service version always seems to be crispier to me. Enjoy!

Hi,

I think this is the idea of MTD, but it doesn't always work that way, especially if you are on a full ship, or if you have a larger party.

No way does the Windjammer have the same menu as the MDR, especially when they serve lobster tails. There will be some of the same offerings like the soup and an entree or 2 but it's definitely not the same. Plus the food in the Windjammer is sitting on a steam table and never has the same appeal as the mdr. The food is never hot by the time you sit down to eat. You also have to keep getting up if you need something or want to get something else. As far as I'm concerned it's like a high school cafeteria and I deserve better, as we all do, when we pay big bucks to cruise. But if you prefer it that's your affair. But please don't whitewash it by saying it's "the exact same menu as the MDR."

I have tried the Honey Stung Chicken on every RCI Cruise I have been on and have always been disappointed.

It has never tastes sweet or of honey and several times it was dry and too crunchy to eat.

But all of the CC'ers can't be wrong so I will keep trying...

Archived