17 getting formal?

As the Royal Caribbean website states, the dress code/guidelines/deathpunishmentlaws/meresuggestions/whatever you want to call them applies equally to all passengers, regardless of age.

Formal night calls for a tux or a dark suit. Can he get away with something else? Of course.

Of course he should!!!! And when he sees how good he looks, he'll be glad he did! The young men get lots of attention from the females--there's NOTHING like a man in a tux or dark suit!

He doesn't HAVE to wear a tux, but the majority will be wearing them. He may feel out of place in tie only!!!!

My now 22 yr old son has one on a few cruises with us and has always got by on formal night with a jacket, tie and trousers. He looks handsome as well as presentable. He's always been a growin' boy so we've never found it right to buy him a suit or buy/rent him a tux especially since his dad has always worn a black suit with white shirt and black tie. We have always looked presentable and as of late on voyager and freedom class, sometimes a minority in those who have dressed up. We do love to dress accordingly for dinner on our cruises and our son and daughter have never minded dressing for dinner.

All this aside, it seems, as of yet, that anything goes in the dining room. We usually get a table that sits just our party, and we can see adjoining tables that underdress (jeans, I have yet to see shorts in the dining room especially on formal night or in specialy restaurants) and those that dress to the nines (full length dresses and tuxes) I usually wear an ankle length dress on formal nights (usually black) and my husband wears a dark suit and tie. We are planning going "full throttle" next year tux and gowns for our 25th wedding anniversary cruise! To each his own, it's not what you wear, it's what you make of your cruise!

My 20-year-old son is a snob. I admit that freely. Beginning at the age of 13, he and his sister were competition ballroom dancers. Thus began his love affair with the tuxedo. He has always had one that fits since that moment, although he stopped competing 4 years ago. Despite his claims that he has no interest in fashion, he always has to dress for an occassion. Because of his unique high school situation, he attended two proms. His un-official one, he found this wonderful snazzy red zoot suit..looked brilliant. For his official one, out came the tux. Give a boy the opportunity to look good and he will take it..even if you have to "force" him.

Tuxes are fabulous inventions and if it fits correctly should not make him feel constrained. I do agree that they can be pricey. However, you can find ones not that much more than rental cost on ebay and at Burlington Coat. At 17, though, you might want to have him rent... because they do grow pretty quickly.

Of course he should!!!! And when he sees how good he looks, he'll be glad he did! The young men get lots of attention from the females--there's NOTHING like a man in a tux or dark suit!

He doesn't HAVE to wear a tux, but the majority will be wearing them. He may feel out of place in tie only!!!!

This is simply UNTRUE! While the vast majority of males will have on suits or coats and ties, they will not wear tuxes. Maybe 10 -15% will wear a TUX, no more.

This is simply UNTRUE! While the vast majority of males will have on suits or coats and ties, they will not wear tuxes. Maybe 10 -15% will wear a TUX, no more.

On a 9-night Explorer cruise? Actually quite a number of men on our cruise wore a tux (no, not The Boy..he wasn't there), certainly way more that 10-15%. Maybe it has something to do with two formal nights and it being more worthwhile to make the investment. I am going to be paying careful attention on my upcoming 5-night Enchantment as to the tux/suit/shirt-slacks/slug proportion.

Encourage him to go all out.............you will be so proud of him. A couple of years ago my partner had my photo taken in my tux on formal night and gave it to my mom, she cried. Tell him he needs to do it for you.

:D :D :D :D :D

My nephew was 17 on our last cruise and no, he did not wear a tuxedo. He is still growing, and to buy one would be crazy. We could have rented him one, but again, he has nice dress pants, a shirt and tie and he looked very presentable. In fact, everybody at our table wore the same thing but with a suit jacket. He would have been more out of place if he had a tux on. Why don't you just ask you son? If he prefers a tux, then get him one. Tell him that its his decision. He will be fine without one.

I have yet to be on a RCCL cruise (and I have been on 15 to date) where the "majority" are wearing tuxes. Your son will not be out of place in a suit or even a conservative blazer and slacks. I have seen some younger "men" in a dress shirt and tie with no jacket as well. I personally think the jacket is better, but certainly he does not need a tux. Have a wonderful cruise!

Our 17 year old son looked wonderful in dark dress pants, dress shirt, his own blazer, and one of his Dad's borrowed ties. He felt good, he looked great, and it wasn't too far out of his comfort zone.

Tux is not necessary - BUT, is he graduating this year? Will he need a suit for grad anyway? Now might be the time to invest in a quality suit for him.

Have a great time!

Will my seventeen year old have to dress formally? Tux?
Well, you have your answer in the above posts. You have to decide what works best for your family & son.
  • Buy a tux. (If he will continue to use it and not outgrow it too soon.)
  • Rent a tux (See if he and the family like the experience)
  • Buy on eBay. (Got mine there for around $150 total. Worn it maybe 20-24 times since then. Average cost about $7.00 per wearing.)
  • Buy a dark suit. (Same note as "Buy a Tux")
  • Go with a sport coat and tie. (IMHO he won't feel out of place with this if you decide on it.)
  • Tie and slacks. (I've seen it on each of the 5 cruise lines, including RCCL, that we have sailed for formal nights)

The most tuxedos I've seen has been around 33% (personal estimation - no, I don't count actual numbers:D ) on Princess and Celebrity. The percentage seems to drop every year.

Charlie

I have posted this comment several times before. Formal nights are all about getting dressed up. About feeling dressed up. If you wear something that you would normally wear at home, than you would more than likely not feel dressed up. i used to wear a suit to work every day. The last thing I wanted to wear was a suit on formal night. a tux made me feel dressed up. I t meade me feel good about myself. Is this your concern or your son's concern? Has he seen what he looks like in a nice suit. Something that he could use for school functions; ie dances, proms or even a family function. Yes he will grow out of it, but maybe he might just like how it makes him feel and you might be able to pick one up cheap on an after Christmas sale. Good Sailing, Murf.

Archived