Segway Tour

ducker

Ok I am sure I am about to sound like a mororn, but is the excursion offered through the cruise lines or do you only book it through Jose personally. We are sailing Carnival in August and I really am excited to do this. Sorry we are last minute honeymooners

Ok I am sure I am about to sound like a mororn, but is the excursion offered through the cruise lines or do you only book it through Jose personally. We are sailing Carnival in August and I really am excited to do this. Sorry we are last minute honeymooners

Last I spoke with Jose he was trying to get on with RCL but it is tough. Just book through him direct, you will be glad you did.

Preston

we emailed them they responded very quickly.we are doing 45 min tour since we have 8.5 year old, 3 teenagers and dh & myself who are both chubby(i am chubby and clumsy and alittle nervous about making fool of myself)kids cant wait to do this. min weight 90 max weight 290

We are BOOKED!! Yippe. HTB is not to excited because he thinks he will look like a dork. I keep trying to get him to read the posts but he wont. I booked the two hour at 9am on the 27th of August. Something even more for me to obsess about now!!!!

We are BOOKED!! Yippe. HTB is not to excited because he thinks he will look like a dork. I keep trying to get him to read the posts but he wont. I booked the two hour at 9am on the 27th of August. Something even more for me to obsess about now!!!!

tell your husband he wont look like adork any more than i will I am very clumsy(fall over my 2 feet)and chubby. I am sure i will see myself on utube:rolleyes:

We are seriously considering this tour. Unfortunately, the day we are there is a holiday, and both forts are closed. Would you recommend doing the 45 min or 2 hour tour then? There are only a few places that the longer tour goes that the shorter one doesn't, but one of the places is the fort, which will be closed. Thanks.

We are seriously considering this tour. Unfortunately, the day we are there is a holiday, and both forts are closed. Would you recommend doing the 45 min or 2 hour tour then? There are only a few places that the longer tour goes that the shorter one doesn't, but one of the places is the fort, which will be closed. Thanks.

The best part of this tour is riding the Segway! So you will miss out on the fort, but you will get more time on the Segway! I am sure they will take you other places and give you some really interesting info. I would do the 2 hr tour, it is great fun!

I did the 2 hour tour on Xmas day at 5pm. We still went on the fort property and many other places. Much of the fun was the attention we got ands the sights and sounds of Old San Juan.

Preston

Thanks! It's especially helpful to hear from someone who's been there on a major holiday, when the forts are closed. I think we'll probably go with the 2 hour tour.

OK, it's official. We're booked for Thanksgiving Day, 2 hour tour.

For those who've gone before--when did you pay, and what methods of payment are accepted? Thanks.

Congratulations! It'll be an excursion you'll never forget! :D

Jose accepts payment at the end of the tour. Payment can be made via cash or credit card. Tips aren't included in his price.....but they definitely earn them.

Can any who has done this tour help us please?

Do you turn up for the time of the tour and then have your lesson to familiarise with the Segway, or do you have to arrive early to learn how to ride it?

We have been offered tours at 9.00, 12.00, 3.00 and 5.45 (45 minutes tour).

12.00 tour suits us best, but we're worried that in August, this will be too hot. Has anyone done it? How did you find it?

Any help and advice please? :)

You can do either- get there early and train before the tour, or get there on time and then train and then start your 2 hr tour. We got there a little early for the training, which took about 10 minutes for both of us to complete.

But you can always call and ask what they would prefer.

If the 12 noon tour works best for you, then do that one. It will be hot any time you are in OSJ, but at least on the Segway, you won't be working up a sweat. Wear a hat and sunscreen.

You can do either- get there early and train before the tour, or get there on time and then train and then start your 2 hr tour. We got there a little early for the training, which took about 10 minutes for both of us to complete.

But you can always call and ask what they would prefer.

If the 12 noon tour works best for you, then do that one. It will be hot any time you are in OSJ, but at least on the Segway, you won't be working up a sweat. Wear a hat and sunscreen.

Thanks coquishideaway, I think this is probably what we will do. 1 week today, we sail on the Adventure of the Seas. Very excited!

I want to say THANK YOU for the Seqway suggestion!!!! We had truly a wonderful time with Jose (and has anyone mentioned he's a cutie???)

Anyway - I had booked a tour a 6pm because I was worried that the CP wouldn't arrive in time for the 3pm tour. When we arrived it was pouring, but Jose said we can definitely go anyway (the Seqways have packs that he keeps ponchos in, just in case). Well - it cleared up right away, and from then on it was perfect.

I did end up taking my light backpack with me - not a problem at all. It turned out to be just Jose and me and my daughter. I was kind of worried about whether going at 6pm would be a good time to leave - especially because we would miss their tour of the 2 forts since they were closed, but I have to say it was PERFECT. The weather was absolutely beautiful (and cool). Jose was telling us it was really, really hot during the day and this was the perfect time to go. We got to tour when the sun was setting (very beautiful and peaceful - there were no crowds around at this time also), and then we got to see the city at night, lit up. Since we missed the 2 forts, we got to go farther than the usual 2 hour tour.

I can't recommend this enough - one of the best things we've done on an island. It was really fun - as we rode by, even the policemen/women we making comments that they need a Seqway for themselves (and they really do - it's really hilly there). As we drove by, people just stopped and smiled. VERY FUN!

GO ON THIS - NO QUESTION!!!!

PS: I was worried about finding it, but the directions on this thread were PERFECT. Don't worry about finding it!!

I want to say THANK YOU for the Seqway suggestion!!!! We had truly a wonderful time with Jose (and has anyone mentioned he's a cutie???)

Anyway - I had booked a tour a 6pm because I was worried that the CP wouldn't arrive in time for the 3pm tour. When we arrived it was pouring, but Jose said we can definitely go anyway (the Seqways have packs that he keeps ponchos in, just in case). Well - it cleared up right away, and from then on it was perfect.

I did end up taking my light backpack with me - not a problem at all. It turned out to be just Jose and me and my daughter. I was kind of worried about whether going at 6pm would be a good time to leave - especially because we would miss their tour of the 2 forts since they were closed, but I have to say it was PERFECT. The weather was absolutely beautiful (and cool). Jose was telling us it was really, really hot during the day and this was the perfect time to go. We got to tour when the sun was setting (very beautiful and peaceful - there were no crowds around at this time also), and then we got to see the city at night, lit up. Since we missed the 2 forts, we got to go farther than the usual 2 hour tour.

I can't recommend this enough - one of the best things we've done on an island. It was really fun - as we rode by, even the policemen/women we making comments that they need a Seqway for themselves (and they really do - it's really hilly there). As we drove by, people just stopped and smiled. VERY FUN!

GO ON THIS - NO QUESTION!!!!

PS: I was worried about finding it, but the directions on this thread were PERFECT. Don't worry about finding it!!

was it easy to learn? i am quite clumsy and on the heavy side. How old is your daughter? did she find it easy to do>

We found it easy to learn. Took about 5-10 minutes. They start out teaching you the basics in their office, then they take you out on the sidewalk. The segways really can stop and turn "on a dime", so learning in a confined space is no problem. Their "training session" consists of lots of step-on, step-off, turn-right, turn-left, go-forward, go-backward commands. Doing all those things in rapid succession is a little unnerving.

But once you get outside and you're going down the street, it's no problem. After about another 5 minutes on the segway controlling it becomes second nature.

The biggest challenge, IMO, was trusting the machine to do the balancing for me. Initially, you feel like you have to do the balancing yourself (I guess that's only natural) and you find yourself fighting the machine.

But once you give your "balancing act" over to the segway ... it's awesome!

Honestly, try not to worry about learning to ride a segway. It's very easy....and it's fun to learn. They won't take you out on the tour until you're absolutely ready to go. You'll practice starting and stopping, going slowly and a little more quickly, stopping quickly, going around corners, going up and down a ramp, turning around on the ramp at an angle, stepping on and off, etc. They cover it all and they're VERY patient and very helpful. They were right there while we were learning (it's one on one) and at first they would have their hand right there for us....just in case we needed it. Basically, as soon as you figure out the right place for your feet, the rest comes naturally.

As for weight, please don't worry about that either. I'm not just saying this to try to keep you calm. I mean it when I say that your weight will not make it any easier or any more difficult to ride. It's all about balance. Even if you're shaky at first, you'll get it down.

I want to point out once again that when you first start out on your segway tour, your guide (Jose or Natalie) will hold your camera for you. They'll take photos of you as you're riding, since they're extremely steady on the segway, and they'll hand you back your camera when they see that you're ready to manipulate the segway and the camera together. Then you can take your own. :)

Another note, in reference to rain and weight....the above poster mentioned that they have packs with rain gear in them. This is correct and the rain gear will fit most anyone. When we were leaving the fort it started raining pretty hard (which felt wonderful!) and we just threw on the rain gear provided so we could stay somewhat dry.....and keep our cameras protected. There were varying sizes in our group of 4, and the gear fit us all.

So please.....if you're concerned about your weight with this tour.....don't be! Just get excited that you're going to ride segways, in Puerto Rico, with the absolute BEST guides you could find.....and all at a reasonable rate. I'd bet money that you'll be coming back here after your tour with nothing but praises. I look forward to reading about it! :D

Honestly, try not to worry about learning to ride a segway. It's very easy....and it's fun to learn. They won't take you out on the tour until you're absolutely ready to go. You'll practice starting and stopping, going slowly and a little more quickly, stopping quickly, going around corners, going up and down a ramp, turning around on the ramp at an angle, stepping on and off, etc. They cover it all and they're VERY patient and very helpful. They were right there while we were learning (it's one on one) and at first they would have their hand right there for us....just in case we needed it. Basically, as soon as you figure out the right place for your feet, the rest comes naturally.

As for weight, please don't worry about that either. I'm not just saying this to try to keep you calm. I mean it when I say that your weight will not make it any easier or any more difficult to ride. It's all about balance. Even if you're shaky at first, you'll get it down.

I want to point out once again that when you first start out on your segway tour, your guide (Jose or Natalie) will hold your camera for you. They'll take photos of you as you're riding, since they're extremely steady on the segway, and they'll hand you back your camera when they see that you're ready to manipulate the segway and the camera together. Then you can take your own. :)

Another note, in reference to rain and weight....the above poster mentioned that they have packs with rain gear in them. This is correct and the rain gear will fit most anyone. When we were leaving the fort it started raining pretty hard (which felt wonderful!) and we just threw on the rain gear provided so we could stay somewhat dry.....and keep our cameras protected. There were varying sizes in our group of 4, and the gear fit us all.

So please.....if you're concerned about your weight with this tour.....don't be! Just get excited that you're going to ride segways, in Puerto Rico, with the absolute BEST guides you could find.....and all at a reasonable rate. I'd bet money that you'll be coming back here after your tour with nothing but praises. I look forward to reading about it! :D

thanks for the encouragement. we have been watching shows that have each stated a different weight limit:confused: . we are so excited i just hope i dont make a fool out of myself. I will write a review when we get back

thanks for the encouragement. we have been watching shows that have each stated a different weight limit:confused: . we are so excited i just hope i dont make a fool out of myself. I will write a review when we get back

As far as I know, there is a weight limit of 290 lbs. As long as you are under that, the Segway will respond to your movements. If you are over that, you might want to check with Jose to see what difficulties you might encounter.

Don't worry- it is fun and you will be fine!

Hey I am SURE I WILL make a fool of myself--but ah well--we're on vacation!!!:D Even on a good day my balance sucks..so maybe I will have better balance using the Segway--I am very excited to do this tour.

No one has mentioned this so I am kind of thinking it probably is not going to be a problem but what about running into the crowds. Is this a problem trying to get around with all the people from the ship trying to get around by foot as well?

The segways were designed to co-exist peacefully on crowded sidewalks with pedestrians. They can go practically no-miles-per-hour and still remain perfectly balanced (unlike a bicycle).

When we did this tour with Jose we took a "path less traveled". All of the walkways along this path are wide with plenty of room for everyone.

After leaving their office and the pier area, you head down Paseo de la Princesa and then along the outside of the city wall toward El Morro, then through the city gate, and along the outside of Casa Blanca (which we came back to after El Morro to see the gardens). The walkway leading to El Morro is wide enough for the trolleys, so that's not a problem, either.

Generally, they take a well thought out path to avoid the problem of running over other tourists! LOL

Archived