Segway Tour

ducker

Jose is a businessman. Unless you just don't show up without a phone call, don't worry. He will know if your ship does not show up (give him the ships arrival time). Jose only has 6 Segways. If it were me, I would email Jose, confirm a time and have some fun. We arrived in SJ in the am on the CB. Knowing we may not get back until late from our Zip Line tour, we asked Jose for a later tour (5:30 PM).

Jose was very accommodating and emailed us back that the 5:30 PM time was fine. Never asked for a credit card or advance payment. Just asked us to give him a call if we were going to be late. Our Verizon phone worked fine in SJ. The tour was fantastic! Well worth the money. Just do it!:D

We've decided to do the short tour - mainly because we are leaving dd on the ship while we do this. I've sent a reservation request in - hoping there is something open :)

DS and DDIL are going on the cruise with us. She just found out she is 6 weeks pregnant :D Will be "about" 12 weeks when we cruise. Should I mention the Segway tour to her or not? :confused: :confused:

I would say no problem for her to go--the segways are very easy to learn and it is like stepping off a curb; a step to get on and off. Probably less stressful for her than climbing the hills in OSJ! Check with the owner to make sure that they don't have an insurance reason not to let her go, but say go and have a great time.

We didn't have any plans for SJPR until now! I just found this thread and am excited to give it a try! I've always been curious about these segways and now, thanks to all of your help, I feel confident to try it :D I just booked the 2 hr. tour for four of us this coming Sept...woohoo! Honestly, at first, it looked sort of "dorky"...but after reading thru this thread...I reconsidered and thought....what's so dorky about it??? LOL We'll be on vacation and so, why not:)

We'll be doing the 2hr tour at 5pm. Our ship will arrive at 3pm. Why are some cruisers doing a 45 min. just because their ship comes in at 3pm?

Big THANK YOU to all the help on this thread!

• 2 weeks later...

4kidsplusty: I got so nervous about riding a segway for the first time on the steep cobblestone hills of OSJ in November that we decided to book a tour here at home last Sunday to see if we liked it or could handle it at all. My DH and I rode up and down hills all along the Hudson River and in the city of Poughkeepsie, NY for two hours ($65) and all I can say now is: DO NOT WORRY! The segway does all the work! Our guide, Jason, said he has taught 8 year olds and a 93-year old and everyone picks it up very quickly.

Actually, the hardest part is stepping on and off without running over your own foot or bumping your shin or falling down. (Jason also confirmed that Pres. Bush only fell off his segway because he got on it before it was turned on and fully balancing itself. Now George is a fan and has even sent one to the Prime Minister of Japan!) BTW: You get to practice that skill with someone holding the handlebars steady until you get good at it yourself--watch for the balancing lights, step on, step off, step on.... (If the segway is not in "balancing" mode or you happen to accidentally move the handlebars while you are stepping on or off, you might have a minor mishap!)

I found it somewhat amusing to find out it took me a while to stop trying to make the segway turn right or left by steering with the handlebars like you would on a bicycle or motorcycle. The segway I rode actually turns by just sliding the handlebar across to your left side or back across to your right side. (Holding it off to your left or right actually makes it do a 360 degree turn on a dime--thereby making backing up unecessary EVER!)

Jason set our machines for "Turtle" speed for our practice sessions (no more than 6 miles an hour possible) but we were quickly set to "Rabbit" speed of 12 miles an hour after about 20 minutes or so. It was so fabulous to be rolling along with no effort and the wind in your face!

Finally, my two greatest fears are now gone completely. DH and I are both near or even over (not telling you which one of us) the stated weight limits for segways (we didn't ride them in Bermuda last year because their weight limit was 260 lbs--even lower than Jose's 290 lbs in OSJ). In Poughkeepsie, we rode the sporty street xi model AND the rugged all terrain xt model and both rolled right along with no problems or loss of speed due to our weight. (Jason says excess weight might make the segway "shutter/vibrate" slightly when changing speed or direction but we did not notice ANY of that at any time.) And the segway did not let us down when powering up to climb the hills or keeping it from running away with us or even stopping suddenly and turning while on a steep downhill run. (Jason says there might possibly be some difficulty stopping or turning if you are on a steep grassy incline that is also wet--but that would be the same difficulty for everyone!)

This is one AMAZING and uncomplicated vehicle and only the $5,000+ price tag keeps us from owning two of them right now!

Let's ride!:) :) :) :) :)

Oh, I forgot, we didn't find it hard to stand up for two hours straight like we originally thought we might; but we were surprised that the bottom of our feet got a little sore. (Segway Co. now sells "gel" pads for their machines--but you could just as easily put a gel pad in your sneakers!)

We just got home from our cruise yesterday. The Segway tour of OSJ was one of the best parts of our cruise. Jose was wonderfuL!! I still can't believe he taught my son, husband & I to ride in only 15 minutes. It was so much fun and Jose's knowledge of OSJ history is amazing! And if you can see this Jose, you did live up to my expectations and then some!!:) (I told him about CC and he said he may check it out)

OK, can we make it off the ship on the last morning and be at the 9:00 tour in time??

This is our only option as we will have to leave for the airport before the noon tour gets back.

This is our first cruise so I don't know how long to plan to get off

Well I sure hope you'll make it as we are planning on doing the very same thing when our cruise comes back to SJ before we go to the airport to fly home..I will have my phone along tho--if it is looking later I will give him a call. I am sure he knows about how long it "normally" takes to disembark the ship barring any problems of course.

Our only chance to do the Segway would be on the day our cruise leaves San Juan. The ship leaves at 11:00 PM and we will be on the CB. I thought we would be leaving from Pier 4, but now it looks likely that we will be leaving from the Pan American Pier. I had hoped to drop our luggage off at the ship & then walk back into town to do the Segways. I'm not sure how far the Pan American Pier is from OSJ, but I understand that it is a taxi ride. How possible would it be for us to go to the ship, drop off our bags and then go into OSJ for the Segway tour? And at what time should we schedule it?:confused:

Sunny,

Never been to San Juan, but from all my research this would be very doable, just a little costly for taxi.

this is the reply I got from Jose, so it must be a short taxi ride from Pan Am to Old San Juan. If you find a thread with the link for a photo of San Juan, I think it is basically "across the harbour"

"Thank you for the interest shown in Segway Tours P.R. At this moment on November 22 2008 we have availability for up to 5 Participants at 9:00 am.

-Only if you dock in Pan American Pier there will be the need to taxi 5-10 minutes to us. If docking in Pier 1,3 or 4 you will be at walking distance from us in Pier 2.

-You can safe store all luggage in our office while doing the tour.

If decided, please go ahead with the reservation form via http://www.segwaytourspr.com and we will confirm right away.

Best Regards,

Jose Alvarez Cortes

Sunny,

Never been to San Juan, but from all my research this would be very doable, just a little costly for taxi.

this is the reply I got from Jose, so it must be a short taxi ride from Pan Am to Old San Juan. If you find a thread with the link for a photo of San Juan, I think it is basically "across the harbour"

"Thank you for the interest shown in Segway Tours P.R. At this moment on November 22 2008 we have availability for up to 5 Participants at 9:00 am.

-Only if you dock in Pan American Pier there will be the need to taxi 5-10 minutes to us. If docking in Pier 1,3 or 4 you will be at walking distance from us in Pier 2.

If decided, please go ahead with the reservation form via www.segwaytourspr.com and we will confirm right away.

Best Regards,

Jose Alvarez Cortes

You are correct it is across a very narrow harbor. Just a short ride. It is only a few minutes walk to Jose's from 1-2 and 3

Preston

Sunny,

If decided, please go ahead with the reservation form via http://www.segwaytourspr.com and we will confirm right away.

Best Regards,

Jose Alvarez Cortes

I have been to San Juan twice before & I know how the piers are set up and their relation to OSJ. I was really hoping that since we were cruising on Princess this time we would be boarding at Pier 4. However, I have been reading lately that the CB has been docking at the Pan Am Pier. We will be arriving the night before our cruise, but getting to the hotel after 10PM - if all goes well with the airlines!:rolleyes: I know our group of 6 will not want to hurry in the morning, and I am afraid that it would be a big hassel to take all of our luggage to the office for the tour and then back into a taxi and to the ship. I was hoping for a mid afternoon tour.

I have never sailed out of San Juan as a home port before - only visited it as a one day stop, so I'm not sure how it would work to check into the ship and then get back off. Have any of you done that? I'm not even sure if you are allowed to do that! I am also wondering how much extra taxi fare it would cost to go into OSJ and back again.:confused:

I have been to San Juan twice before & I know how the piers are set up and their relation to OSJ. I was really hoping that since we were cruising on Princess this time we would be boarding at Pier 4. However, I have been reading lately that the CB has been docking at the Pan Am Pier. We will be arriving the night before our cruise, but getting to the hotel after 10PM - if all goes well with the airlines!:rolleyes: I know our group of 6 will not want to hurry in the morning, and I am afraid that it would be a big hassel to take all of our luggage to the office for the tour and then back into a taxi and to the ship. I was hoping for a mid afternoon tour.

I have never sailed out of San Juan as a home port before - only visited it as a one day stop, so I'm not sure how it would work to check into the ship and then get back off. Have any of you done that? I'm not even sure if you are allowed to do that! I am also wondering how much extra taxi fare it would cost to go into OSJ and back again.:confused:

Ginny I have in fact boarded then got off. I have also asked for a late check out with the hotel and gone back to get my luggage. Just don't miss Jose's tour. It is great.

Preston

Ginny I have in fact boarded then got off. I have also asked for a late check out with the hotel and gone back to get my luggage. Just don't miss Jose's tour. It is great.

Preston

Thanks! It sounds like a lot of fun. Since our hotel is closer to the airport I don't think that a late check out would be a good option for us. Since we don't leave port until 11 PM I am sure we can get there in the later afternoon. I'll just need to find out when we need to be back on board for muster, etc.

I just booked our family for the 3PM tour on the day our cruise leaves from San Juan! We will be on the CB, which leaves at 11PM. Is that a good time? I'm hoping that we can board the ship, leave our luggage and then go back out to OSJ. Now I just have to find out from what Pier the CB will be leaving..... Also, what time we have to be on board?

I just booked our family for the 3PM tour on the day our cruise leaves from San Juan! We will be on the CB, which leaves at 11PM. Is that a good time? I'm hoping that we can board the ship, leave our luggage and then go back out to OSJ. Now I just have to find out from what Pier the CB will be leaving..... Also, what time we have to be on board?

My Wife, son and I did the tour during our port visit on the SPIRIT late last month. We were scheduled for 7 PM Segway Tour. We were able go earlier with Jose (4:30). When we were done around 5:30-6 PM we went out to dinner in OSJ. We were back in plenty of time for the sailing (11 PM). If you are ready earlier than scheduled, the worst Jose will do is have your tour go at your scheduled time. We enjoyed the tour. Since we were late for going to the fort (it closes at 5), we would probably schedule early for the fort tour. The Segway definitely will help going up the hill to the fort! Segway tours is only a 5-10 minute walk from Pier 4 where were tied up to Pier 2 where the ferry and the Segway tours are located.

My Wife, son and I did the tour during our port visit on the SPIRIT late last month. We were scheduled for 7 PM Segway Tour. We were able go earlier with Jose (4:30). When we were done around 5:30-6 PM we went out to dinner in OSJ. We were back in plenty of time for the sailing (11 PM). If you are ready earlier than scheduled, the worst Jose will do is have your tour go at your scheduled time. We enjoyed the tour. Since we were late for going to the fort (it closes at 5), we would probably schedule early for the fort tour. The Segway definitely will help going up the hill to the fort! Segway tours is only a 5-10 minute walk from Pier 4 where were tied up to Pier 2 where the ferry and the Segway tours are located.

We are looking forward to the tour. I know that Pier 2 is where the Segways are located. Is it at the entrance to the Pier? I'm just a bit confused as to where to find Jose and his Segways.:confused:

I too am very excited that 4 of us will take advantage of this in November. I tell you, Jose really responds quickly. He and I have been back and forth working some things out for about 3 days and I am really pleased.

My question is this.......does anyone know of any Hotel that is in the same area as the Segway tour office? Thinking of doing the tour at noon on the day we are leaving and then running back to hotel to get our bags to then go to the ship but did not want to stay at a hotel that is all the way across town? Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks so much!

Sheraton is across the street.

The other option is to check out of your hotel (wherever it may be) and store your luggage at Barrachinas restaurant while you do the Segway...they will hold your luggage for free. :D We stayed at the El San Juan and absolutely loved it and it's right on the beach...beautiful pool area...gorgeous recently renovated rooms...I highly recommend staying there and taking a taxi to Barrachinas...you can walk from there to the Segway. BTW...I got ESJ on Priceline for $115/night

Sunny,

If you look for the signs for pier 2, you will find the Segway office. It's hard to explain, but it's almost like going down a small side street but as I said, go to pier 2 and you will see it ;)

Jose is soooo awesome! He was extremely informative and just an all around great guy. We got the hang of the Segways immediately and had a ball on the tour. We went with another CC couple. We went in April 08 on the NCL Spirit. We took either the two or three hour tour and it cost us about $70.l_90959d0f0962f93038f2a100691c6772.jpg

Archived