Segway Tour

ducker

I can answer that with certainty, erms. While we were on our tour, we were taken to an area where all the children from the schools were dedicating a new Library. They were singing, dancing and doing crafts......and they were ALL over the place. Our tour guide was Natalie and she just went ahead of us and told the children (very sweetly) to be careful.....and they stepped aside to let us pass.......all the while looking at us with HUGE eyes. We went extremely slow, just in case a child decided to challenge our big tires....but none did. We made it through and then picked up speed again.

Otherwise, the areas that we went were wide enough for plenty of people and the segways, or there were no crowds. You'll even go through a crafts area with tables and tourists. Just follow the guide and you'll be fine.

I really don't think anyone will look foolish on the segways. If anyone stares, it's out of envy....based on the comments we heard. If you FEEL foolish, try to let that feeling go and just enjoy yourself. Know that you're the only one feeling that way.

It's been correctly mentioned that the weight limit is 90-290 lbs. If you're still concerned about it, please contact Jose and voice your concerns. He's extremely easy to talk to and will answer all your questions with dignity.

:)

As far as I know, there is a weight limit of 290 lbs. As long as you are under that, the Segway will respond to your movements. If you are over that, you might want to check with Jose to see what difficulties you might encounter.

Don't worry- it is fun and you will be fine!

that makes me feel better. some places were saying 240 so i was getting concerned because i was close to that weight. but now i feel better

The segways were designed to co-exist peacefully on crowded sidewalks with pedestrians. They can go practically no-miles-per-hour and still remain perfectly balanced (unlike a bicycle).

When we did this tour with Jose we took a "path less traveled". All of the walkways along this path are wide with plenty of room for everyone.

After leaving their office and the pier area, you head down Paseo de la Princesa and then along the outside of the city wall toward El Morro, then through the city gate, and along the outside of Casa Blanca (which we came back to after El Morro to see the gardens). The walkway leading to El Morro is wide enough for the trolleys, so that's not a problem, either.

Generally, they take a well thought out path to avoid the problem of running over other tourists! LOL

Thank you so much for your help.

esther

My husband and son and three other friends took this tour July 16, and said it was the highlight of the cruise. Jose was wonderful. Cost was $70 pp for the 2 hour tour. I think he has one at 9:00 A.M. and noon. Tour company is located at Terminal 2 and easy access to other terminals. Brought back wonderful pictures.

Thanks to all on this thread! I just emailed Jose to see if he would consider a 2 hour later than 3PM as our ship gets in at 3. I'm hoping it's possible!

Jose was kind enough to do a 5:30 PM tour for us back in June. We arrived early am and took 2 plus hours to get off the ship. Our first tour was scheduled for 10:30 am (Zip Line) and we did not get off the ship until well past the tour time. Thank goodness we had a Princess tour scheduled . We arrived back at the ship early enough in the afternoon to shower and get ready for the Segway tour.

Jose was great! Enjoyed a private tour with just me and my wife. If we ever get back to San Juan, we will book Jose again, the best tour of our cruise.

I don't know if this was asked and answered (don't have time to go back 6 pages! :eek: ) but can you just book it when you get off the ship? We haven't decided exactly what we want to do yet. Might be just a spur of the moment, let's see what the weather is like, what we feel like doing type of thing.

I imagine that if they have open slots that you would be able to. As long as you're OK with getting to the office and them telling you that they can't accommodate you ... then you could try it.

After a couple of emails from Jose - there will be a 3:30 tour for when I'm there. It turns out from my roll call that my neighbor in the next cabin is also doing the same tour with us LOL.

Thanks again all - I can't wait!

I really want to do this! But I am a little worried about the timing. We will be on Carnival Triumph in January. The ships itinerary says we will be in port from 5pm to 12am. Jose said we can do a 6:30pm tour. I am thinking with daylight savings time we will be in port from 6pm to 1am San Juan time. That would only give us a 1/2 hour to get off the ship and make it to Jose. Does anyone know if this is do able?

We are booked at 3 p.m. on the day we leave on our cruise, and Jose says we can leave our luggage in his office. How far will we be from Pier #4? Trying to decide if we should book later and board ship first then come back. Would we be within walking distance with luggage to ship after our segway tour? We may backpack so may not have that much luggage.

It's a 5-10 minute walk between the ferry pier (that's where the Segway office is) and Pier 4. This map will give you some perspective. Pier 4 is the long pier to the right (east) of the ferry pier on the map.

Hope this helps!

How do you find out what pier you will be docked at?

We will be on the Triumph January 2009.

I received an e-mail back from Jose. He has said we can make it by 6:30pm with no problem so I booked the 45 minute tour. Yipee!!!!!!!

I really want to do this! But I am a little worried about the timing. We will be on Carnival Triumph in January. The ships itinerary says we will be in port from 5pm to 12am. Jose said we can do a 6:30pm tour. I am thinking with daylight savings time we will be in port from 6pm to 1am San Juan time. That would only give us a 1/2 hour to get off the ship and make it to Jose. Does anyone know if this is do able?

You won't have a problem. The port times are local time- so 5pm is 5pm. (Besides, we don't do daylight savings.)

How do you find out what pier you will be docked at?

We will be on the Triumph January 2009.

I received an e-mail back from Jose. He has said we can make it by 6:30pm with no problem so I booked the 45 minute tour. Yipee!!!!!!!

You will be docked at Pier 4 in OSJ, just a few hundred feet from Pier 2 and the Segway place.

Coquishideaway, thanks for the information you have been most helpful.

I have been so worried trying to figure out the time differences and all.

I can't wait to do the segway tour. Then I think we will do a self-guided walking tour of Old San Juan.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if we can just show up for a 45 min tour? I'm sure I would need a reservation for the 2 hour tour but wonder if they are really needed for 45 min tour. What I don't like is his cancellation policy. Hard to send mail or fax from the ship within 24 hours.

jose was wonderful. We went this past week. took alot of time with us. when we went we were the only ones who knew about his tour from our ship. We got off a few min later than we thought.ed our cell phone and called him on his cell to say we were running afew min late. he said no problem entire call was about 40 sec so shouldnt cost to much. Jose took so much time with us that we were very impressed with how he treated all of us. he took extra time with me and my 8 year old to make sure we were ready to go. after we got the hang of it we did awesome. try and do tour u wont be sorry

Does anyone know if we can just show up for a 45 min tour? I'm sure I would need a reservation for the 2 hour tour but wonder if they are really needed for 45 min tour. What I don't like is his cancellation policy. Hard to send mail or fax from the ship within 24 hours.

I would email Jose and ask him.

Preston

MomtoCCC

If you don't want to book in advance then you have the option of showing up on spec - the segway office is close to the ship piers - but as you will be on a ship that is in port, you run the risk of the segway tours being fully booked.

If you get there and you find that they have no tours, you could just head into Old San Juan and wander around on your own - this will give you some ideas of where to walk http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/2008/07/self-guided-walking-tour-of-old-san-juan-part-1/

you could also take a carriage tour if you are in port during daylight hours

http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/2008/05/alternative-ideas-for-puerto-rico-2/

There is plenty to see and do in OSJ

enjoy

Jose is a businessman. Unless you just don't show up without a phone call, don't worry. He will know if your ship does not show up (give him the ships arrival time). Jose only has 6 Segways. If it were me, I would email Jose, confirm a time and have some fun. We arrived in SJ in the am on the CB. Knowing we may not get back until late from our Zip Line tour, we asked Jose for a later tour (5:30 PM).

Jose was very accommodating and emailed us back that the 5:30 PM time was fine. Never asked for a credit card or advance payment. Just asked us to give him a call if we were going to be late. Our Verizon phone worked fine in SJ. The tour was fantastic! Well worth the money. Just do it!:D

Archived