Do NCL & RC have fresh water pools?

Sillyjilly

As stated Princess is the only mass marketed line that offers fresh water pools, but the filter system and the chemicals used on both RCL and NCL are so good you can hardly realize it's salt water, certainly not like swimming in the ocean. To us it makes almost no difference and certainly isn't anything we think about when we book a cruise.

NMNita

• 10 years later...

we just got back from a RCL cruise on the Navigator. Sadly it was salt water and you could DEFINITELY tell. One of my boys is sensitive to salt water. We didn't even think twice about it when we got to the pool. He went happily into the pool and came out crying :( Not a fun week for him not being able to swim. I just got off the phone with NCL and the agent told me that ALL of their pools are salt water. I think the Liberty on RCL has fresh water though. I'm researching in case we decide to cruise again later this year. We went on Disney 2 yrs ago and their pools are fresh water so I just wasn't prepared for the salt water pool last week. I knew that cruise ships used salt water in the past but after cruising on Disney I made the (wrong) conclusion that maybe all ships used fresh water now.

I believe that the Oasis class are the only RCI ships with some fresh water pools, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I would be surprised if RCI changed over their pools to fresh water due to the cost. The pools are generally dumped and refilled once or twice a week, and that's a lot of water tonnage, whether they are buying it from shore or making it onboard.

Many ships retain the salt water pool not only to save on water cost, but because when outside of 20nm from shore, they can switch over to "flow through" mode, where fresh sea water is pumped to the pool continually, and the overflow goes right back to sea. This type of pool operation does not require chlorination, saving more money, especially on sea days when the pools are full and the body load would increase the demand for chemicals.

All pools, whether salt water or fresh, when operated within 20nm of shore, must be in recirculation mode, like a home pool, and both types of water must be chlorinated when in recirculation mode. The recirculated water is continually monitored for chlorine content, and chlorine is continually added as required, so the chlorine level is more constant, and maintained at a higher level than shoreside pools.

I believe that the Oasis class are the only RCI ships with some fresh water pools, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I would be surprised if RCI changed over their pools to fresh water due to the cost. The pools are generally dumped and refilled once or twice a week, and that's a lot of water tonnage, whether they are buying it from shore or making it onboard.

Many ships retain the salt water pool not only to save on water cost, but because when outside of 20nm from shore, they can switch over to "flow through" mode, where fresh sea water is pumped to the pool continually, and the overflow goes right back to sea. This type of pool operation does not require chlorination, saving more money, especially on sea days when the pools are full and the body load would increase the demand for chemicals.

All pools, whether salt water or fresh, when operated within 20nm of shore, must be in recirculation mode, like a home pool, and both types of water must be chlorinated when in recirculation mode. The recirculated water is continually monitored for chlorine content, and chlorine is continually added as required, so the chlorine level is more constant, and maintained at a higher level than shoreside pools.

Do you know if the PoA has fresh water? Seems to me when we went way back in 2006 it did and I was a bit surprised because we are used to having saltwater.

Do you know if the PoA has fresh water? Seems to me when we went way back in 2006 it did and I was a bit surprised because we are used to having saltwater.

As I remember, it was salt. The ships are "at sea" to make water so little during the cruise, that they are constantly taking water in port, and the municipal pressure is so low, we frequently didn't get as much as we'd like, so getting extra for the pool would have been difficult.

got this reply from Royal Caribbean today:

" I am excited to you advise you that both the Oasis and the Allure of the Seas offer fresh and salt water pools. Additionally, our Freedom and the Independence of the Seas offer fresh water only pools onboard."