Samantha Harris's Ball Gown on Dancing with the Stars

Alright so maybe I am not done! I just went back to read the entire thread.

The gowns are made by Randall Designs, a well know ballroom designer. Actually these are not gowns, they are costumes with full body suits under all that sparkle. I would not think that Randall would also make Samathas gowns. The trend today is for the gowns to have low backs (why I am always at the gym), and some with cut outs around the waist, but the gowns on this show are not represenative of what you would see in a ballroom competition. The gowns here are much more revealing.... But having said that after the season of DWTS ends Randall puts all the gowns for sale on thier website, at full price, any where between 3-5K, and they always sell.

The latin dresses go through phases. Right now we are ending the phase of very short revealing costumes and coming back in our knee length and full skirts, more material in general.... Horray!

It is common for the ladies to wear stage make up or pick heavy pigment colors, and lots of it. I use MAC make up for competitions. On a ballroom floor you are completly washed out by the lights. Up close you look like you are going to a halloween party, while on a dance floor you look normal! Walking through a hotel to get to a ballroom can be quite embarrasing!

If you have any other questions on the behind the scenes stuff, ask away.

Smoothdancer, I have a question: do the girls/women have spray-on tans or is that all makeup? I am thinking about Ettata (sp?) - she looks great in those skimpy outfits and is always so tan, as is Juliann Hough.

Thanks for the insider info on ballroom dancing!

Just did a Google search. I came across an interview with Samantha Harris when she was pregnant. Anyway she said she uses a stylist to find her gowns. They look for gowns that their viewers can afford to buy. (I don't know what she calls "affordable." Some look very expensive to me.) She gets hundreds of e-mails every week asking about her gowns. That is all she said. :confused:

I wish she had been more specific. How do they decide on the color each week, etc.? Does she have a budget for her gowns? Does she get to keep them? Does she pay for them herself or what? Or does she sell them on E-Bay afterward or at a high-end consignment store or do they go to charity or what?

It is not a spray on tan. It is a heavy duty make up based tan. Unlike the over the counter tan lotions one might use for a cruise this product produces a deep tan look quickly. There is the risk that it will stain the costumes, why I dont use it myself.

LOL, thought not something you would use say for a cruise. When the make up fades and wears off ,usually in a day, it looks absolutley horrible and "patchy" and orange. It could then take a few days for the make up to wash out of your skin. Again, think more stage make up for a single event.

I think Jason Taylor is sooo gorgeous. I think Emmitt Smith and Jerry Rice made it OK for football players to dance. I cheered for both of them just as I'll cheer for Jason. What a hunk. And some pretty good moves.

Jason is a complete HUNK. I rarely see the show - no time - but I've seen him dance once or twice....and GIRRRLLL....I'd watch it just to see him, if I could. :D :D

This is Monday, March 31. Samantha Harris has a fabulous red empire gown with a ruffled or decorative strap on one shoulder. This is a spectacular gown. She is wearing her hair swept up with the gown. It would be a hit on any cruise.

I want to give high praise to Marley Maitland (Sp) for dancing as well as she does even though she is deaf. How does she do it? I am amazed.

This is Monday, March 31. Samantha Harris has a fabulous red empire gown with a ruffled or decorative strap on one shoulder. This is a spectacular gown. She is wearing her hair swept up with the gown. It would be a hit on any cruise.

I want to give high praise to Marley Maitland (Sp) for dancing as well as she does even though she is deaf. How does she do it? I am amazed.

Hi, I watched the show tonite too:)

I have a good friend who is deaf and after cruising with him

recently learned as long as he can feel the beat he can dance:D

(better than many of the hearing folks who were on the dancefloor;) )

I agree with you about Marlee..she is terrific:)

I wish the powers that be would dress Marisa in more becoming outfits.

OOOOH... Samatha's red dress is certainly cruise wear.

I got tired of doing black, navy, back and white, more black, so last cruise one dress was tangerine and the other red. I got lots of compliments on the tangerine and even from men.:)

She trained alone, never with a partner.

Actually, I think she skated doubles with Rudy Galindo when she was very young. She had to make a choice betweens singles and doubles and went solo. So she does know how to deal with a partner.

I do agree that her big challenge is the heels, but I think that's common to all of the women - even if you can walk in them (and I'm pretty wobbly, LOL), once you put on a pair of 2-3 inch heels and try going backwards most of the time, it's quite a challenge!

I love the show, even though I've always thought that it was a fix. There was no way that Kelly what's her name should have won in Season 1 - she fell twice in the final & the judges still gave her all 10s. And I'm sure they kicked the Cheetah Girl off last year for ratings. But I don't care!:D

Yes I too watched it last nite.Samantha's dress was a great one for a cruise.I agree Priscilla did look much better than last week and done sooo much better.I take back that she should have been booted out last week.She is proving that she really can dance.Wow,62 at that.

I think maybe Kristi does have an edge on the others because of her skating. She does looks like the one to beat!Who knows,some of the rest are proving they may have what it takes to win it also!!!

I love the show, even though I've always thought that it was a fix. There was no way that Kelly what's her name should have won in Season 1 - she fell twice in the final & the judges still gave her all 10s. And I'm sure they kicked the Cheetah Girl off last year for ratings. But I don't care!:D

I thought the Cheeta Girl was spectacular and I loved her. She should have WON that season.

This season I wish that they would get rid of that so-called comedian who is crass, vulgar, and disrespectful to women, particularlty his adorable partner and of Carrie Ann Inaba. I really dislike men who think that gutter humor is in the least funny and I so want that creep to be voted off the show as soon as possible.

I thought the Cheeta Girl was spectacular and I loved her. She should have WON that season.

This season I wish that they would get rid of that so-called comedian who is crass, vulgar, and disrespectful to women, particularlty his adorable partner and of Carrie Ann Inaba. I really dislike men who think that gutter humor is in the least funny and I so want that creep to be voted off the show as soon as possible.

I agree with you, he is so obnoxous,I can't believe some of the things he says.

Loved the cheetah girl,she was adorable,never understood her getting kicked off,I also thought that Mel B. was really good. Personally I think the audience vote has too much power,maybe should count for 25% and the judges 75%. It turns it into a popularity contest,Jerry Rice who could not dance his way out of a paper bag won the popularity contest IMHO. It's supposed to be about dancing! Loved Pricilla's outfit but boy she needs someone to help her with her on camera shyness.:confused:

Actually, I think she skated doubles with Rudy Galindo when she was very young. She had to make a choice betweens singles and doubles and went solo. So she does know how to deal with a partner.

I do agree that her big challenge is the heels, but I think that's common to all of the women - even if you can walk in them (and I'm pretty wobbly, LOL), once you put on a pair of 2-3 inch heels and try going backwards most of the time, it's quite a challenge!

Hi,:) I have always believed all the reality shows are fixed.

I have said that since day one.....

And Adam Corella (sp) needs to GO:eek:

He needs to get kicked off....TONITE!

Adam will prolly go tonight. If he was already on the edge, last night he completely launched himself off the cliff. I don't see how Julianne would continue to work with him. She was so clearly agitated by his off color comments.

Did Priscilla not NAIL that Tango?! That was outstanding! I thought she was the best dance of the night - even though Kristie edged her out by 1 point.

Good stuff!

Rep

If I was to guess I would also say that Adam is a goner tonight. You know, he did improve with his dancing and possibly could of have had a chance to stay on, but he is just so offensive every time he opens his mouth. I can’t wait to see him leave.

Once, we had a couple in our dance studio and they were both blind. It was amazing to watch them develop. I am equally amazed with Marilee.

Now about the ladies dancing in those 2 or 3 inch heels… A dance shoe has a little bit of a different construction. The soles of the shoes are suede which helps you stay grounded to the floor, a slight forward pitch, in the smooth dances, the front of the shoe is elastic and hugs your foot, and the heels are a flair heel. All of these features actually make the shoe very secure and comfortable to dance in. Sure, although the lady is going backwards most of the time she first releases her toes, brushes through on the ball of her foot to arrive on that heel. Because it is this gradual development landing on the heel is not abrupt at all (like in a regular walk) and is fact is quite easy to dance in these heels. These happen fast but watch the pro ladies and see if you can pick it up. If I had to choose between a flat shoe and a heel, I would pick the heel every time.

Now about the ladies dancing in those 2 or 3 inch heels… A dance shoe has a little bit of a different construction. The soles of the shoes are suede which helps you stay grounded to the floor, a slight forward pitch, in the smooth dances, the front of the shoe is elastic and hugs your foot, and the heels are a flair heel. All of these features actually make the shoe very secure and comfortable to dance in. Sure, although the lady is going backwards most of the time she first releases her toes, brushes through on the ball of her foot to arrive on that heel. Because it is this gradual development landing on the heel is not abrupt at all (like in a regular walk) and is fact is quite easy to dance in these heels. These happen fast but watch the pro ladies and see if you can pick it up. If I had to choose between a flat shoe and a heel, I would pick the heel every time.

Too true! I had a pair of regular low heels and a pair of 2-3/4 heels this

weekend, and I ended up in the tall heels for dancing, even though I almost never venture over and inch - even my practice shoes are only 1.5". The regular shoes were torture, but I was able to stay in the dancing shoes for most of the evening. But I've only been dancing for a few years, so my moves are still kind of abrupt, as you tactfully call it.;)

Adam is safe this week:eek: :rolleyes: ........

Now I know the show is fixed.........

Steve at least has some class without being rude

to everyone....he should have been the one who

made it till next week...NOT the obnoxious Adam.

I know lois. I was so disappointed to have to suffer through another week of Adam. Yes, Steve was not one of the better dancers but he was such a breath of fresh air. I was sorry to see him go.

I dont know that I would exactly call the placements fixed, but the results are a reflection of a fan base a dancer/celeb may have. In the end though I do think that the better dancers emerge over the most liked.

LOL Heavy. I have a mind full of useless(to most) dance information so I am glad you enjoy my posts. We leave on Thursday for a National dance competition in Baltimore and have been training hard for this one. Last night it was two hours at the gym followed by a 2 hour coaching sesson at the dance studio where we were pushing it very hard. After last night I gained an appreciation for these celeb's that put in these practice hours, some with thier bodies not conditioned to take this physical abuse!

BTW this comp is being picked up by Comcast to air in May if anyone is interested to see the contrast of DWTS vs a real competition.

Archived