What did you expect with anytime dining?

I am amazed at those who complianed that anytime dining turned into " their time" dining. What did you really expect? I mean if you chose to go to any land based restaurant and expect to be seated immediately and you went at peak times, you would expect a wait, so why should this be different? I am sure you will not be the only people who also ask for that time. Like any reservation system, first come first served, and then if someone stays longer than expected, there is another delay. Did you ever go to the doctor and get in exactly when your appointment was set for?

I am amazed at those who complianed that anytime dining turned into " their time" dining. What did you really expect? I mean if you chose to go to any land based restaurant and expect to be seated immediately and you went at peak times, you would expect a wait, so why should this be different? I am sure you will not be the only people who also ask for that time. Like any reservation system, first come first served, and then if someone stays longer than expected, there is another delay. Did you ever go to the doctor and get in exactly when your appointment was set for?

This is exactly why I like Traditional seating. You know when you walk in at 6:00 or 8:30. you will be served promptly, this allows you to make plans and stick with them. Nothing worse than looking for someone on a giant cruise ship and not be able to find them because the dinner wait was an hour longer than planned.

Which is why I'm not interested in anytime dining. I like knowing that my table will be ready when I get there. Not sure why but RCI really seems to be trying to sell cruisers on the concept.

Which is why I'm not interested in anytime dining. I like knowing that my table will be ready when I get there. Not sure why but RCI really seems to be trying to sell cruisers on the concept.

When I go to a restaurant, I HATE being seated immediately! Dinner is more (tho us) than just eating--it's an occassion! We like to have a drink or two before ordering, so waiting for a table isn't a big deal, to us. Of course, with the traditional dining, we head for a bar for our "pre-dinner" drinks.

There's nothing worse than being rushed through a dinner when you've taken the time to dress and prepare for the evening!

When I go to a restaurant, I HATE being seated immediately! Dinner is more (tho us) than just eating--it's an occassion! We like to have a drink or two before ordering, so waiting for a table isn't a big deal, to us. Of course, with the traditional dining, we head for a bar for our "pre-dinner" drinks.

There's nothing worse than being rushed through a dinner when you've taken the time to dress and prepare for the evening!

I don't see the problem...If you know when your dinner times is, there's plenty of time for "pre-dinner" drinks at one of the MANY bars before coming to the dining room to be seated. We have NEVER been "rushed through a dinner" - maybe that's because we always do late seating.... Just something to consider.

I like the concept. This way you can spend more time doing things onshore or by the pool and not feel rushed having to get ready for dinner. You are on your own time. Plus you can sit with whom ever you choose. Sometimes we like to have company for dinner, and sometimes we like to eat alone. It works for us. Plus, they still have Traditional for those who prefer that route.;)

Having been on over 15 personal choice or freestyle cruises, I have never had more than a 10 minute wait... in fact, I have waited in the long lines that pile in front of the restaurant in the evening longer on set timing.

I know, to each their own, but I chose my next cruises specifically for the ability to eat when I want to. RCi lost my business for years because they did not have this option. This way everyone has their choice.

Where are you finding those who have complained about My Time. I've only read one person who described it as "their time." What thread other than the Brilliance Appalled posting has comments from those who have had bad experiences with My Time on Freedom, Seranade and Brilliance. Obviously I missed it.

Thanks

It's hillarious when someone picks anytime dining, instead of the scheduled times, then complain that they missed the showtimes!

Where is this thread I'm missing? I'm someone who is willing to give My Time a try and can't find the thread where people are pointing out the bad sides (and probably some good sides)?

Why, oh why, is Royal Caribbean trying to reinvent the wheel?

Most major cruise lines have had "anytime Dining" for years. The inventors at RCI need to copy others and go for what has already been proved to work rather than try to reinvent it. Some cruise lines find it so popular (Princess for one) that the "Traditional" Dining has shrunk to a very small percentage of the passengers.

Most major cruise lines have had "anytime Dining" for years. The inventors at RCI need to copy others and go for what has already been proved to work rather than try to reinvent it. Some cruise lines find it so popular (Princess for one) that the "Traditional" Dining has shrunk to a very small percentage of the passengers.

So if it is so popular, perhaps most passengers perfer it. What is Royal reinventing?

Tell that to all the Princess passengers who have to waitlist for traditional and can never get it, or the ones who are confirmed and then bumped to anytime onboard.

I don't think it works nearly as well as you think with few people wanting traditional.

Tell that to all the Princess passengers who have to waitlist for traditional and can never get it, or the ones who are confirmed and then bumped to anytime onboard.

I don't think it works nearly as well as you think with few people wanting traditional.

What has your experience been with Princess?

We haven't experienced it yet, however I think it is a great idea and about time!!! I've only read one negative review so far.

We don't like to eat with strangers and really don't like the set times. We like to plan our meals around our daily activities, none of which include the evening shows :p

###

Having been on over 15 personal choice or freestyle cruises, I have never had more than a 10 minute wait... in fact, I have waited in the long lines that pile in front of the restaurant in the evening longer on set timing.

Then you went too early along with all the people who think they have to be the first ones in. Wait a few minutes and you walk right in. :)

Then you went too early along with all the people who think they have to be the first ones in. Wait a few minutes and you walk right in. :)

Precisely.

You don't *have to* wait in the cattle chute.

If you read Princess boards regularly I think you will find that there are still many complaints about long waiting lists for traditional dining and people being forced into anytime dining even though they requested traditional. So much for the shrinkage that you claim.:rolleyes: So far, most who have tried mytime dining seem satisfied, perhaps because RCI has decided to first accommodate all those who request traditional dining and only allocate sufficient space for mytime dining to be able to handle the smaller number requesting that option. It also seems to work better on those ships which have a three tiered dining room than those with only two levels. As people become more accustomed to the two options, the proportion of traditional vs mytime diners may change and how well RCI can adjust to those changes will determine how successful it is. Princess has been doing it for years but their inability to be flexible and allocate their anytime and traditional dining rooms to reflect the actual numbers of guests seeking either style has been their downfall to date. Recent reports indicate that they have begun to use parts of their "anytime" dining rooms to accommodate traditional diners since the one traditional dining room was inadequate. I hope that RCI can successfully offer both styles, but if they cannot, I hope they will quickly realize the fact and revert to what they do best - offering one style only.:)

We did the "anytime" on another cruise line. It was set up that those with reservations arrived in one line are were pretty much directly seated, others who just showed up waited in line. We made a standing reservation for 7:30 every night and arrived on time and were promptly seated.

So, just like any other land based restaurant, depending on when you show up, you might have to wait. What else would you expect if the particular dining time is popular? There are only so many tables.

I sent a few questions to our TA. A RCCL sales rep calls her quite often. Here were the questions that came to mind that I wanted RCCL to answer.

1) Is RCCL planning to implement this fleet wide?

2) How does RCCL choose who gets their assigned dining reservation and who gets "bumped"?

3) If one whole section is reserved for MTD, why can't I just walk in and say "I want to dine now"?

4) How early do you have to sign up for MTD?

Here was the response I got back from my TA.

Well, RCCL states that the Brillance experience is a trial run.........no real answers were given......other questions were not addressed, and actually my sales rep sounded rather sheepish about it all. I wonder if the "BAD" comments are making them think twice?

As with everything, you have to take this with a grain of salt. I'll just wait and see what else developes. Our next cruise is still a year away. A lot can change in a year.

If you read Princess boards regularly I think you will find that there are still many complaints about long waiting lists for traditional dining and people being forced into anytime dining even though they requested traditional. So much for the shrinkage that you claim.:rolleyes: So far, most who have tried mytime dining seem satisfied, perhaps because RCI has decided to first accommodate all those who request traditional dining and only allocate sufficient space for mytime dining to be able to handle the smaller number requesting that option. It also seems to work better on those ships which have a three tiered dining room than those with only two levels. As people become more accustomed to the two options, the proportion of traditional vs mytime diners may change and how well RCI can adjust to those changes will determine how successful it is. Princess has been doing it for years but their inability to be flexible and allocate their anytime and traditional dining rooms to reflect the actual numbers of guests seeking either style has been their downfall to date. Recent reports indicate that they have begun to use parts of their "anytime" dining rooms to accommodate traditional diners since the one traditional dining room was inadequate. I hope that RCI can successfully offer both styles, but if they cannot, I hope they will quickly realize the fact and revert to what they do best - offering one style only.:)

Excellent analysis of the situation. Thanks for posting it.

I asked the question after reading the Brilliance thread. But after doing freestyle on NCL where we missed many shows and missed a few company related cocktail parties, I know I am not eager for it on RCI. And we always take second seting so we are never rushing for dinner.

My opinion is that it may work great for a couple who prefer to eat alone, but our experience was with from 2-4 couples and we always waited.

But I was really curious as to what people's expectations were.

I thought you reported recently that the whole fleet would be My time by the end of the year. Have you know received contrary info than you reported recently. (I'm asuming you are a TA as you seemed quite certain earlier.)

Again, as I have asked others, please direct me to the thread where there are reports of My Time not working and, in our case, on a 2 tier dining room ship. Other than 1 thread and two posters on that thread, I haven't heard of any problems.

I'm really not trying to be a pest but, I am interested in trying My Time and I want to hear from people who have actually tried it on RCCL or if anyone has information confirmed by RCCL.

Archived