New England Can't Misses

solomon

We're around 140 days out until the cruise so I've started looking at shore excursions on the Crystal websight. Of course they make every excursion sound like the best thing since sliced bread with all the adjectives they use in the their descriptions.

I would like some of your first hand knowledge and recommendations on shore excursions for this cruise. Granted, the best excursion is probably just kicking back in a chair on our veranda, and I have no problem with that, but I don't want to miss anything that I would regret later.

Don't worry about Boston, we already have an excursion booked with Seymour tours.

Thanks...Greg

We're around 140 days out until the cruise so I've started looking at shore excursions on the Crystal websight. Of course they make every excursion sound like the best thing since sliced bread with all the adjectives they use in the their descriptions.

I would like some of your first hand knowledge and recommendations on shore excursions for this cruise. Granted, the best excursion is probably just kicking back in a chair on our veranda, and I have no problem with that, but I don't want to miss anything that I would regret later.

Don't worry about Boston, we already have an excursion booked with Seymour tours.

Thanks...Greg

Just curious. Boston is probably one of the easiest cities to tour and get around in independently. The walking tours of the city are easy to follow and cover all the bases and of course, you have the option of a duck boat tour.

KQ...I've read about the duck boats. Sounds like a lot of fun. Have you tried them?

And I faintly remember the walking tour from my only time in Boston some 25 years ago.

Will the ship be docked within walking distance of downtown?

Finally, I remember going to a restaurant in town where the waitresses/waiters were known to be short and rude to the customers, on purpose. Is anyone familiar with this place?

We have an overnight in Boston so we will have extra time there.

Solomon,

I did the duck boat tour in Halifax and highly recommend it. It provides a brief but terrific overview on land and sea.

If the ship docks where it did in 2006, I suggest you take the complimentary shuttle that drops you off at Fanuil Hall/Quincy Market. While you can walk, it's a bit far.

The restaurant you're referring to is Durgin Park and I highly recommend it. It's open for lunch and dinner and I went there while we were docked in Boston.

If you give us your other ports, perhaps we can make more suggestions.

Nancy

Don't miss the "trolley" tours that start from in front of the New England Aquarium. They are "get on, get off" tours that take you all over Boston. The drivers narrate and provide quite a bit of commentary. I should know, my brother-in-law has worked for them since his retirement years ago.

You can take them as a complete tour or as interesting transportation around the city. If you go, ask for "Buzz!":)

Solomon, we did a walking tour through Crystal in Monteal. We thought it was great. While you can easily walk the area on your own we did learn a lot from the guide. In Quebec we just walked on our own. It is a beautiful city. In both Montreal and Quebec you can just walk off the ship and your are just about in the city.

In Bar Harbor we took one of several tours offered that go to the National Park. If you haven't seen the park I would highly recommend it. When you come back from the park, if you like Lobster you can just eat lunch on your own in the town.

In Newport if you haven't been there before consider taking a tour of the Breakers Mansion and the cliffs. Both are very nice. You can also walk around the town in the afternoon.

In Boston, you would need to take the shuttle into town or a taxi. Lots of things to do. Wonderful city.

We really enjoyed all of the ports when we did this cruise last September.

Keith

We are doing this itinerary in October 2009 so I can't help much, but I have been to Halifax. If you are "up" to hiking up the hill from the port, (and even if you're not) make sure you visit The Citadel. It's the old fortress that sits on top of the (very steep) hill that the downtown area of Halifax is built into. The fort itself is interesting and the views are great. Also avail yourself of lunch in one of the restaurants in the waterfront historic properties.

We did most or our touring on our own when we took our New England cruise two years ago. Most ports are very easy to get around.

In Boston we did the Talking Street cell phone tour. Steven Tyler, lead singer for Aerosmith, is the narrator - it was great. He was born in Boston and he and his family still live in Mass. The cost is under $6 (plus your cell phone time). A map is included. It was really a lot of fun. Here's the link: http://www.talkingstreet.com/tours.php?tourid=bos. End your tour with a cup of coffee and a really wonderful pastry from Mike's Pastry in the North End!

Halifax is a very walkable, charming city and I would agree with Nancy's suggestion of the duck Harbor tour and Roland's tip about the Citadel. Pier 21, right next to where the ship will dock, is Canada's Immigration Museum. The exhibits are done quite well. A little further East at the waterfront is the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, with some very interesting exhibits especially the one on the Titanic. Although the Titanic sunk several hundred miles offshore from Halifax, the graves of many of those who perished are in Halifax. It is possible to visit these cemeteries: nineteen are in the Mount Olivet Catholic Cemetery, ten are in the Baron de Hirsch Jewish Cemetery, and 121 are in the Fairview Lawn Cemetery.

If you would prefer to see some of coastal Nova Scotia, there is usually a shore excursion to Peggy's Cove about 35 minutes from Halifax. A photograph of the lighthouse in Peggy's Cove is a familiar one in almost any tourist publication about Nova Scotia. Peggy's Cove is very photogenic albeit a bit commercialized.

We have a summer home about 1 1/2 hours southeast of Halifax on the ocean if I can answer any other questions about Halifax specifically or Nova Scotia in general.

Ricki

Yes, Solomon I have done the duck boat in Boston. It is a nice diversion and the guides are very entertaining. On one of the walking tours, you pass

Beacon Hill cemetery. It is quite interesting to walk through and read some of the epitaphs on the headstones. There is a lot of humor to be found.

If the ship overnights in Boston, I would highly recommend eating at Legal Seafood. It is an old Boston establishment that offers the finest seafood. It was always a must do for our visits there. Now we go to Boca Raton for our fix.

KQ...I've read about the duck boats. Sounds like a lot of fun. Have you tried them?

And I faintly remember the walking tour from my only time in Boston some 25 years ago.

Will the ship be docked within walking distance of downtown?

Finally, I remember going to a restaurant in town where the waitresses/waiters were known to be short and rude to the customers, on purpose. Is anyone familiar with this place?

We have an overnight in Boston so we will have extra time there.

I believe you might be talking about Dick's Last Resort. It moved fairly recently to Faneuil Hall Marketplace from the Prudential Center. It is a lot of fun to eat here! The servers are rude and they sometimes make you were weird paper hats with rude sayings on them.

http://www.dickslastresort.com/

The ships dock at Black Falcon Pier, not walking distance from downtown. It's easy to get to the downtown area by water taxi and on a nice day, a great way to get some wonderful views of Boston Harbor. :) http://www.citywatertaxi.com/taxi_stops.html

A couple of notes from a "native" New Englander (actually, I've been away from NE a lot, but my family is from Rhode Island and I'm a URI grad).

Newport: This is a tender port and the tender pier is right in the center of town. Crystal offers a number of interesting excursions, but I think they are a bit overpriced. As an alternative, turn left from the tender pier and walk a couple of blocks to the tour center, where you will find a wide choice of tours. Difficult choices, but as first time visitor I'd probably opt for a tour that covers The Beakers and/or the Cliff Walk.

Also, for tennis buffs, don't miss the Tennis Hall of Fame. Crystal offers an excursion, but you really don't need it. There are several restaurants, fairly expensive, that have patios overlooking one of the courts, pleasant places for lunch. I could be wrong, but I think these are the last remaining grass courts in the US.

Boston: If I had to recommend one thing to do in Boston, especially for history buffs, it would be the Freedom Trail. It's free, you don't need a guide, and it hits all the major historical points. You should be able to get details on one of the several Boston websites. You can do it in half a day, but I would plan on most of the day with a stop for a leisurely lunch somewhere along the way. Also not to be missed, the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides) the US Navy's oldest commissioned ship.

For probably the best NE clam chowder or fish chowder (realize this is very subjective) try the Old Union Oyster House near Quincy Market, but not before 2 o'clock or so, as it's a very popular lunch place for or people working in the area, and we'll be there on workdays.

Boston has one of the most extensive and easiest to use transit systems you'll find anywhere in the USA. It's as safe as any mass transit system can be and not overly crowded outside of rush hours. The full name is Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority (MBTA), but it is referred to locally as "the T". A "Charlie Card" day pass can be purchased from vending machines at most stations and costs $9, q bargain when you consider that a single ride is $2. Card is good for unlimited rides on subways, buses, some commuter rail, and inner harbor ferries.

Challenge: I'll buy a drink for the first fellow passenger to post the correct answer as to why it's called a Charlie Card. Boston area residents not eligible!

Unfortuantely we'll be a few days too early for October's month-long Halloween celebration in nearby Salem. Anybody on the next two cruises, 8223 and 8224, both of which overnight in Boston, should check the Salem website for details. Although Crystal has a shore excursion that visits Salem, it is not there in the evening when things really get rolling. I'd go on my own using public transportation, but there certainly will be somebody offering private tours from the ship, although I'm not familiar with them. I'd start with Seymour, mentioned by a previous poster on this thread.

As mentioned by another poster, it would be a long walk from the port to downtown, but if the Crystal shuttle takes you to Quincy Market, you can walk just about anywhere in central Boston from there or use the "T". Also, I seem to remember that there is a "T" bus line to the port - check the MBTA website.

In case you're wondering, I won't be able to play amateur tour guide, as I have visitors coming on board for teatime, dinner and dancing.

Bar Harbor: Strange as it seems, I've never been there, although I've been around New England for most of my life and live close to Maine now. So I'll be a first-time visitor like many fellow passengers. Crystal has some interesting-looking excursions.

Halifax: I've been to Halifax several times - this time I think I'll take the excursion to Peggy's Cove, where I've never been. If we are docked in the usual area and the weather is good, it's a pleasant walk along the waterfront downtown from the ship. Actually, I'll be in Halifax on 9/14 (I'm on the preceding transatlantic 8021) and will pick up some brochures.

Looking forward to meeting fellow CCs on board.

Bar Harbour - do a lobster right from one of the dock restauants on the shore. Several look run down but the lobster is fresh and tastes great.

Also, I didn't see mentioned in Boston is the JFK museum if that is your thing.

Newport last time I was there they had America's cup boat trips.

Bob,

The Charlie Card is the Bostonian's affectionate way of referring to their subway transit tickets. "Charlie" was a character in a song about riding on a subway, yes?

Chuck-

Ding, ding ding...NH Bob owes you a drink Chuck. :)

The song was by the Kingston Trio...The man who never returned.

A little interesting history and the song lyrics are here if you are interested.

http://www.mit.edu/~jdreed/t/charlie.html

Also for anyone interested in history, I'd recommend touring Fort Adams in Newport. You'll get some beautiful views of Newport Harbor and a very informative narrated tour.

http://www.fortadams.org/

Boy, that was a quick response - guess it was too easy. Chuck's answer is close enough and Kitty is correct about the Kingston Trio connection. Name of the song is MTA - MTA was predecessor to MBTA. Are you on 8222, Chuck?

Thanks for the link to the lyrics and history of the song, Kitty. I knew the story in general, but the info on the website is fascinating.

Also, thanks for the mention of Ft. Adams, Kitty. Would you believe that with all the time I've spent across the bay in Narragansett and Kingston, and the hundreds of times I've been to Newport, I've never visited Ft. Adams? Maybe it's time I do.

Bob

Now this is what I call excursion info.

This is much better than the Crystal website and I knew it would be, which is why I asked ya'll in the first place.

Note; (Ya'll is the way we say "you all").

Bob, I knew I liked you for some reason. Your intellect is far superior to the average Joe.

Our cruise starts with an overnight in Montreal on Sept. 27th.

Alabama plays Georgia that night so we, along with our friends and recent Tide converts, Pete and Leilani, will be watching the game in a yet unspecified sports bar in Montreal.

What a way to start a cruise.

Pete...

Do you have a number for the Crosby Tour Company? I noticed that some of the other folks are booked on other New England cruises before and after us.

They might be interested in booking a shore excursiion with Crosby also.

Our cruise starts with an overnight in Montreal on Sept. 27th.

Alabama plays Georgia that night so we, along with our friends and recent Tide converts, Pete and Leilani, will be watching the game in a yet unspecified sports bar in Montreal.

What a way to start a cruise.

Relieved you didn't respond with "War Eagle"! Do you think we need to explain the significance of those cheers and the importance of SEC football? If so, I'll leave it to you as, I assume, a real Alabaman. I'm just a Yankee who enjoyed living in Tuscaloosa for five years, including Bama's last National Championship under Gene Stallings. I regularly manage to annoy Big 10 fans, including my Penn State son, when I extol the superiority of SEC sports over Big 10!

Good luck on finding a sports bar in Montreal that will carry a broadcast of an American football game in Alabama.

Bob

Bob,

I just don't think it is humanly possible to explain the INTENSE dislike Alabama and Auburn fans have for each other and their teams.

I attended U. of A. from 76-79. Coach Bryant was there and we also won a national championship during that time.

Coach Stallings was a lot like Coach Bryant.

Hope you enjoyed your time in Tuscaloosa. Small world isn't it?

Roll Tide....Greg

Archived