Around the Seabourn Water Cooler... Off topic and fun posts here!- Updated

Host Dan

This book is just delightful; sailing and eating. What could be better? It includes some of the Seabourn ports as well. The author is a chef who worked in Italy and then signed on as the chef for a wealthy Italian couple on their hugely expensive and luxurious sailing yacht. Each time I read it I have to sit on my hand to keep from dialing Alitalia. It's not really a travel book nor a cookbook. Just the best way to spend some time on a languid summer afternoon. (But there are some recipes!)

'Mediterranean Summer: A Season on France's Cote d'Azur and Italy's Costa Bella' [Paperback]

David Shalleck (Author), Erol Munuz (Author)

I know ... tipping is not required or expected ... but it happens ... and it is appreciated. What is the "not spoken about" tipping process/amount? I don't want to come off my cruise with the realization that I should have tipped. I am in the industry ... a land based hotel ... and the service industry is suffering big time ... not only in business but in the generosity of both company and patron.

I know ... tipping is not required or expected ... but it happens ... and it is appreciated. What is the "not spoken about" tipping process/amount? I don't want to come off my cruise with the realization that I should have tipped. I am in the industry ... a land based hotel ... and the service industry is suffering big time ... not only in business but in the generosity of both company and patron.

I suppose it is hard to get into the frame of mind to accept that "tipping is neither required or expected" but it is a fact. You will not encounter any sort of unspoken requirement. You have paid for the exceptional service in your cruise fare. If you do encounter some extra special, stand-out service, the crew fund is the way to go.

The smiles and attention you will get from the staff are not coloured by the expectation of a tip.

I suppose it is hard to get into the frame of mind to accept that "tipping is neither required or expected" but it is a fact. You will not encounter any sort of unspoken requirement. You have paid for the exceptional service in your cruise fare. If you do encounter some extra special, stand-out service, the crew fund is the way to go.

The smiles and attention you will get from the staff are not coloured by the expectation of a tip.

I have traveled enough to understand the different tipping issues across the world ... just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a process that I would not be aware of on this cruise line ... being my first time on Seabourn. The crew fund that both you and the Lord of the Seas suggested is an excellent direction! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Ryanair Chief executive Michael O'Leary said safety testing for 'vertical seating' will take place next year, and the airline will also introduce a fee of £1 to use the lavatory. The plan is to remove the back ten rows of seats from the carrier's 250 planes and replace them with 15 rows of vertical seats. Two toilets at the back could also be removed to free up even more space. Yikes!!

By Gene Sloan, USA TODAY July 9

"Would you pay $35 to have a few extra hours on a cruise ship? Royal Caribbean is betting you will.

The mass-market line is expanding a $35-a-person "Late Departure" program tested on a couple ships last year in Europe to more vessels.

Now available on all eight Royal Caribbean ships in Europe, the program allows passengers to stay aboard the vessels through lunchtime and into the afternoon on disembarkation day instead of a traditional early-morning departure. Passengers who sign up for the program can stay on their ship until 90 minutes prior to its next sailing.

The option costs $35 for adults and $17.50 for children ages 3-17. Children under three years of age are free."

By Gene Sloan, USA TODAY July 9

"Would you pay $35 to have a few extra hours on a cruise ship? Royal Caribbean is betting you will.

The mass-market line is expanding a $35-a-person "Late Departure" program tested on a couple ships last year in Europe to more vessels.

Now available on all eight Royal Caribbean ships in Europe, the program allows passengers to stay aboard the vessels through lunchtime and into the afternoon on disembarkation day instead of a traditional early-morning departure. Passengers who sign up for the program can stay on their ship until 90 minutes prior to its next sailing.

The option costs $35 for adults and $17.50 for children ages 3-17. Children under three years of age are free."

That would be outstanding..so comfy..but..what about the poor staff??

I doubt the cruisers could stay in their suites, probably relegated to one of the large public areas and the pool, bar and buffet areas. It still would be worth it for a late departure for home. It is an interesting concept, must be a money-maker.

From Gene Sloan in USAToday, today.

>"Planning a voyage with Oceania Cruises in coming months? Keep an eye out for one-time child TV star Willie Aames.

After a much-documented run of bad luck in recent years, the familiar face from the 1970s' Eight is Enough and the 1980s' Charles In Charge is now working as an assistant cruise director on Oceania's Nautica.

In an interview in the new issue of the National Enquirer, now on newsstands, the recently bankrupt Aames talks about his new job on the ship, which comes less a year after the VH1 reality show 'Broke & Famous' showed him headed to divorce and just days away from foreclosure on his house."

Could the experts confirm that this is the appropriate thread on which to post a continuation of a topic from another thread given that it may contain references that some may consider "off topic" on the original thread. I really would value this advice to ensure that I do not breach protocol.

Thank you in advance.

Could the experts confirm that this is the appropriate thread on which to post a continuation of a topic from another thread given that it may contain references that some may consider "off topic" on the original thread. I really would value this advice to ensure that I do not breach protocol.

Thank you in advance.

You may post whatever you want (within appropriate board guidelines, of course) in this thread! Its for "fun and off topic posts"!! (Kind of like facebook.. well not quite..)

Host Dan

You may post whatever you want (within appropriate board guidelines, of course) in this thread! Its for "fun and off topic posts"!! (Kind of like facebook.. well not quite..)

Host Dan

I am so grateful for your reply that is in line with what JaneBP kindly advised. Probably no surprise to you; but I just wanted to be careful in view of my obvious unfamiliarity with protocol.

There is nothing wrong with continuing the magician thread where it is. This is the place for the mystery story, murder at sea, and Jeremy Brett musings! BTW, Nigel Bruce is 10 across in the Sunday NYTimes crossword puzzle. I knew it but smiled at the recent reference.