I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

His is the description of the Changing of the guard at Amalienborg Castle.

I used the Google translation page so it looks a little but wierd with some danish word in the middle of the text.

The Royal Livgardes tasks is to be vigilant on the country's Regent by the royal castles and palaces, and to train and develop war ready units for the army.

Vagtskifte at Amalienborg conducted daily normally at. 12. Moreover, the post replacements every two hours. Garderne is on the line in two hours at a time, and staying after four hours in the guardroom prior to the post again. The guard parade departing from Rosenborg Barracks in Gothersgade at. 11:30.

There are three different types of guards:

Kongevagt / Kings Guard

Is established, when HM the Queen staying at Amalienborg. This vaguely characterized the tab and drum in the day hours will be in / by fanestøtten by kolonnaden. They are marching with music through the city. The route goes through Livgardens barracks - Rosenborggade - Købmagergade - Østergade - Kongens Nytorv - Bredgade - Sct. Annæ Place - Amaliegade - Amalienborg.

Løjtnantsvagt / Lieutenant guard

Is established, when HRH Prince lives in the Amalienborg Palace, where HRH Kronprinsen live on the Amalienborg Palace and the regent or when HRH Prince Joachim lives in Amalienborg and is regent. This vaguely characterized to drum stands beside fanestøtten by kolonnaden. They are marching with music through the city. The route goes through Livgardens barracks - Rosenborggade - Købmagergade - Østergade - Kongens Nytorv - Bredgade - Sct. Annæ Place - Amaliegade - Amalienborg.

Palævagt / Palace Guard

Is established, when HRH Kronprinsen and HRH Prince Joachim lives in Amalienborg and are not Regent or Rigsforstander (in charge of danish territory), or when the Amalienborg is uninhabited. They are marching without music through the city. The route goes through Livgardens barracks - Gothersgade - Chr IX's Street - kr. Bernikowsgade - Kongens Nytorv - Bredgade - Frederiksgade - Amalienborg.

For special occasions, for example H.M. Dronningens birthday (the Queen), 16. april, the first New Year's Day, and by state withdraws Life Guards in red Gala, otherwise uniformsjacket Royal blue.

Ok - back from some emergency leave...

Thanks DV for holding down the fort. LOL

I just got this month's copy of "Copenhagen This Week" - so if anyone has questions about what's happening this month, just ask away.

:D

Does it go as far as September? We're arriving early on the 5th; ship leaves on the 7th. Would be nice if something different were to be found.

Pia

Does it go as far as September? We're arriving early on the 5th; ship leaves on the 7th. Would be nice if something different were to be found.

Pia

nope. they do it a month at a time.

is there anything in specific that you were looking to find? a specific concert, show, etc?

nope. they do it a month at a time.

is there anything in specific that you were looking to find? a specific concert, show, etc?

Nothing specific; just different from the usual sights. The statues, palaces and museums are still the same as when we last visited. :)

Nothing specific; just different from the usual sights. The statues and museums are still the same as when we last visited. :)

well, since you're in town for a few days - - are you going to venture a bit further than before? Maybe up to Frederiksborg Slot... or down over the bridges to the "mainland" Denmark?

There is a TON of great "day trips" that we've been taking this month ... lots of neat things that you can really only do in Denmark.

One example is the Knuthenborg Safari Park. This place is amazing. It's about an hour and a half drive from Copenhagen, but if you are a fan of anything animal - it's an absolute BLAST. My kids & I had a great time, and will be going back again!

http://www.knuthenborg.dk/

Another place that we really liked was Egeskov. This is the closest thing to an "American Junk Collection" that we've found here! This is a GORGEOUS castle that has been turned into Denmark's largest collection of STUFF.

Everything from antique toys, to antique motorcyles, antique fire apparatus, planes, ... to a phenomenal play area, a walk up in the treetops, and even Dracula! Too fun! Also about an hour and a half from Copenhagen.

http://egeskov.dk/ <<-- has a BIT in English

We also have had a great time at the Glassworks factory ... especially now since they have installed a brewery and a candy making facility! About an hour from CPH. GREAT place for the entire family to spend a day!

http://www.holmegaard.com/visit/eng/ <<-- in english

So maybe venturing outside of CPH will mix it up for you a bit?

Thanks. I'm going to wait until our friends look at this and decide if we'd like to try one of them. I wish we could understand #1, but #3 sounds like something I'd like to do.

Pia

on the top LEFT of the page, there is a choice for it to be in English.

:-D

on the top LEFT of the page, there is a choice for it to be in English.

OK. Got it. Looks like we would have to rent a car for this. Don't think I want to do that. Thanks again for all the additional info.

Pia

OK. Got it. Looks like we would have to rent a car for this. Don't think I want to do that. Thanks again for all the additional info.

Pia

you can get there via train... but it will take about 2 hours ...

you can take the safari bus tour OF the park... you don't have to use your car.

But - it is def. easier with a rental car.... :-D

I would like to know if there is anyway I can go tot the Frederick's castle from where the cruise ships dock. Please email me the reply since I do not know how to get a response from these forums. Thank you for your help

I would like to know if there is anyway I can go tot the Frederick's castle from where the cruise ships dock. Please email me the reply since I do not know how to get a response from these forums. Thank you for your help

Just by reading this forum you'll get your replies and any other forum in which you've posted. Your email address is not available unless you specifically post it.

Only a couple more questions and I will be ready. CruisinEurope, do you agree with DV that I can skip Christiansborg palace? Also, is it worthwhile to go into Amalienborg Palace or is watching the changing of the guard enough?

I will list the final plan with transportation information for your approval once I have the info re Christiansborg and Amalienborg. I will only be in Copenhagen for one day, Saturday, August 30. Do you really think the Queen will be in town. Late August...weekend. Doesn't everyone go to the beach or something to get out of town or is that more of an American thing?

Only a couple more questions and I will be ready. CruisinEurope, do you agree with DV that I can skip Christiansborg palace? Also, is it worthwhile to go into Amalienborg Palace or is watching the changing of the guard enough?

I will list the final plan with transportation information for your approval once I have the info re Christiansborg and Amalienborg. I will only be in Copenhagen for one day, Saturday, August 30. Do you really think the Queen will be in town. Late August...weekend. Doesn't everyone go to the beach or something to get out of town or is that more of an American thing?

On August 30, 2007 the high for the day was 58. I doubt anyone went to the beach. :D

Hi Cruise-Aviator! It looks like we are on the same cruise. Please come join the Roll Call. What time do you get into Copenhagen? You have until 7:00 pm to get to the ship, although I wouldn't cut it that close. We are also a larger group and we have been told to ask for "stadium vans" since they hold more people than regular taxis.

Hi

We are going to arrive at CPH airport on the August 18th. We are a group of 10, who need to get a direct cab to the port because I am afraid of losing the ship. Do you know the cost? Are there any cabs for groups (vans)?

Thank you for all the help

aviator

Despite last year's apparently cool weather, the good people of Copenhagen have arranged a wonderful day full of activities on August 30, 2008, the date you will be there.

Surprisingly, they are even having a swim around the harbor. So much for avoiding the beach. :D

This is from Copenhagen this Week. I hope that this is of help to you. Have a wonderful trip. I will be arriving just as you are leaving.

http://ctw.dk/Default.aspx

Saturday August 30

Copenhagen Cooking / see Aug 22 & special article. Until August 31. READ MORE

10:00 / Italian Market Days / For three Saturdays in August, Golden Age sculptor Bertel Thorvaldsen Square (in front of eponymous museum) hosts market with stalls selling Italian delicacies. READ MORE

10:00 / Open Swim Round Christiansborg Parliament Building / 1,900 m swim in canals, harbour around Christiansborg Palace on Holmen (4/E4). READ MORE

12:00 / Danish Strongman Grand Prix / Denmark hosts IFSA Strongman World Series for the first time. Disciplines include tire-flip, farmers’ walk, lorry-pulling, one-arm weightlifting and yogi-war. Bakken Funfair, Dyrehaven (deer park), 2930 Klampenborg, bakken@bakken.dk, http://www.bakken.dk READ MORE

12:45 / Harness Racing / Pitstop Danish Mare Derby. Adm. DKK 20. Charlottenlund Travbane (Race Course), Traverbanevej 10, Charlottenlund (1/C3). S-train. READ MORE

20:30 / Operatic Concert / Elisabeth Hanke (dramatic alto), Nina Pavlovski (soprano), Kristoffer Hyldig and Ulrich Stærk (piano) perform songs by Danish composers Lange-Müller & Heise, Wagner’s Wesendonck-Lieder and Habanera from Bizet’s Carmen. Rundetaarn (The Round Tower), Købmagergade 52A, 1150 København K, Tel: +45 33 73 03 73, Fax: +45 33 73 03 77, post@rundetaarn.dk, http://www.rundetaarn.dk READ MORE

20:00 / Orchestral Concert / Danish Radio Concert Orchestra/cond. Adam Fischer. READ MORE

20:00 / Rock Gig / Famous American Stray Cats (US) in concert. Tickets DKK 520 at the door – presale: billetnet.dk. Amager Bio, Øresundsvej 6, 2300 København S READ MORE

21:00 / Danish DJ Championships 2008 / Hosted by Jøden (the Jew) and DJ Knud. Tickets DKK 160 at door – presale: billetlugen.dk. Pumpehuset, Studiestræde 52 , 1455 København K, Tel: +45 33 93 19 60 , info@pumpehuset.dk , http://www.pumpehuset.dk READ MORE

21:00 / Indie Rock Gig / Larsen And Furious Jane deliver aggressive style catchy tunes, arrangements of distinction. Adm. DKK 70 at the door. Loppen, Christiania, Bådsmandsstræde 43 READ MORE

21:30 / Jazz Gig / Thomas Clausen and Andrea Marcelli Trio. Drummer/pianist collaboration joined by David Petrocca on double bass. Tickets DKK 120 at the door – presale: ebillet.dk. Jazzhouse Copenhagen , Niels Hemmingsens Gade 10, 1153 København K, Tel: +45 33 15 26 00 / 33 15 47 00, live@jazzhouse.dk , http://www.jazzhouse.dk READ MORE

23:30 / Live Tribute Band / ABBA / Each weekend a different tribute band entertains with live covers of popular songs – tonight The ABBAtizers takes you on a musical tour of the famous Swedish band’s many hits. Kellerdirk Cafe, Frederiksberg Allé 102 , 2000 Frederiksberg, Tel: +45 33 25 22 53 , http://www.kellerdirk.dk READ MORE

Hi

We are going to arrive at CPH airport on the August 18th. We are a group of 10, who need to get a direct cab to the port because I am afraid of losing the ship. Do you know the cost? Are there any cabs for groups (vans)?

Thank you for all the help

aviator

cost is roughly $40 from what I'm told. All of the cabs line up at the airport - and you can ask for a large one, or, with 10 people, you'll probably need 2 cabs AT LEAST.

With a group THAT big, you may want to look into privately hiring a limo or a large shuttle type thing to get you all from point A to B. Or, again, be prepared to take 2 cabs.

I've not yet been into either Christiansborg or Amalienborg. THough I have seen the changing of the guard a few times. Both are on my "short list" of things to do ... but we just haven't gotten around to them yet.

If it's "worth it" to you is really going to be much too personal to answer. If you're big into history and the opulance of castles, etc. - then yes, probably. Depends on what ELSE they may take the place of.

Does that make sense?

I think though, that if you just saw the changing of the guard at Amalienborg, then you're not going to go home and be miserable that you didn't get inside the show room.

Dear Cruisin and DV:

Thank you both so much for all your truly valuable information. I think I have my plan for Copenhagen. I only have some transportation questions. I will be in Copenhagen on Saturday, 30 August, 2008. I will get off the boat at 8:30 am. The boat docks at either Langeline Terminal or the "Cruise Terminal" which I think is 5 minutes past Langeline. I will pick up a COPENHAGEN CARD GUIDE (the THICK one, not the little pamphlet) at the tourist office at the pier or at the first Stog station I go to. I will then walk to the Little Mermaid Statue and then continue walking to the Gefion fountain. Is there a faster way than walking to the Mermaid if the boat docks at the "Cruise Terminal"?

From the Gefion fountain I want to go to Rosenborg Palace and be there by 10 am when it opens. Which is the fastest way to get there? Walk to Stog at ØØsterport train station and take the train one stop to Nøørreport? Is there a bus near the Gefion Fountain that will go directly to the front of Rosenborg on Oster Voldgade? Or should I just walk it? (I am mid 50's, exercise 2x per week).

After Rosenborg Place, I will go back to Amalienborg Palace by noon to see the changing of the guard if the Queen is in residence (I will write to Amalienborg shortly to see if her schedule is set). What is the best way to get from Rosenborg Castle to Amalienborg Palace?

(If I go to Amalienborg for the Changing of the Guard, I will then go to the House of Amber near Nyhavn!)

After I am finished with Rosenborg (and maybe Amalienborg) I intend to go down to the City Hall area. From Rosenborg it is easy, take the Stog to Vesterport. If I also go to Amalienborg, what is the easiest and fastest way to City Hall? Is there a bus? Should I take the Metro at Kongens Nytorv to Noorreport and switch to the Stog to Vesterport? Help!

Once I am at City Hall I will see the statue of Hans Christian Anderson and then walk to the Fountain of Charity in Gammel Torv. Then To Tivoli!

During the day I will try a Smørrebrød and eat a hot dog at a hot dog stand (ristet, med det hele).

Only if there is time, while I am downtown, I will walk into the Copenhagen Hotel 27 and check out the Absolut ice bar which is at Longangstraede 27, 1468 and is very close to the Hans Christian Anderson Statue.

When I am done with Tivoli, take bus 52, bus 26 or the shuttle back to the pier.

I live in NYC so I am fairly accustomed to subways and buses! Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Cruise-Aviator! It looks like we are on the same cruise. Please come join the Roll Call. What time do you get into Copenhagen? You have until 7:00 pm to get to the ship, although I wouldn't cut it that close. We are also a larger group and we have been told to ask for "stadium vans" since they hold more people than regular taxis.

Hi nabby!

I get into CPH at 2:30 pm.

What are those "stadium vans" you are talking about? Are they a cab but just larger or is it like a airport shuttle? Is there the possibility of renting a van at the airport and drive to the ship and drop it off there?

Archived