I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Thanks so much for all your great information and advice. We booked at the Radisson Royal following your recommendation and I've downloaded some of your tips. If ever you visit our part of California, we hope we can be as helpful to you!

we are in agreement with the previous poster....now you have an invite to south florida or atlantic city where we could give you alot of info.....tho we have been to cph a number of times i have learned a great deal from the questions and your answers......thanx so much and keep the advice coming

sandie

Thanks jacsonrose and HKM!

We don't plan on being back to the 'States for a few years... but when we do - we'll probably be driving from FL to CT at least once and I will def. come find you to pick your brain as to where to stay!

Glad this board has helped so many! I can't believe all the views and all the pages! Wow!

Oh - -

And here's another tip about a restaurant in TIVOLI.

We were there a few nights ago and at dinner at the VALHALL Restaurant. It's GREAT for kids, or families looking for a cheap dinner experience. The only thing on the menu are a variety of burgers and ribs (with fries, cheese frieds, onion/garlic fries, 'slaw, etc).

The decor is "old viking meets log cabin" and is pretty kitschy, but cute. My kids loved it (DD6 and DS 4). The 6 adults were very happy and comfortable too.

The burgers are WONDERFUL (6 out of 8 in our party got them - and all different kinds). EVERYONE loved their burger. I split ribs with my DD and DS and whlie the kids LOVED them, they were basically ribs in "chili ketchup" and not something that I would ever order again (they did have another sauce to choose from, and maybe those are better... but I'm actually not willing to try them based on the size of the ribs & lack of meat on the bones).

The thing that makes this place neat is that you are seated, and on your table are the menus and then little cards (like a room service card where you check off what you want). Once you check off your card, you go up and order and pay right there (yes, they take American credit cards). Then you are given your drinks and silverware and the kids can get a free Viking helmet (25dkk for adults, free for kids!).

For us, a burger, a plate of ribs, a kids burger meal, a large beer, a large soda, and two kids sodas was only about $70. That is a STEAL in CPH.

Then, possibly the biggest plus with kids, is that when you are done - you simply leave. No having to wait for the check, or for change, etc. You've already paid, and are free to go when you want to.

LOVED IT and will be eating (Burgers) there again!

we will be taking the train from gothenburg and arriving in copenhagen on the 7th of august. On the 8th we are going to visit the castles in hilerod before we go on our cruise . We are wondering if the train stations lockers are safe to keep our luggage overnighton the 7th so that we don't have to take all our luggage with us to our hotel.:). Would it be better to do the checked luggage or lockers or neither. We are leaving on august 8th for our cruise so we don't really want to risk losing our luggage. Thanks so very much for your input.

we will be taking the train from gothenburg and arriving in copenhagen on the 7th of august. On the 8th we are going to visit the castles in hilerod before we go on our cruise . We are wondering if the train stations lockers are safe to keep our luggage overnighton the 7th so that we don't have to take all our luggage with us to our hotel.:). Would it be better to do the checked luggage or lockers or neither. We are leaving on august 8th for our cruise so we don't really want to risk losing our luggage. Thanks so very much for your input.

personally, i would never, in any country, leave that amount of NECESSARY luggage in a train station. If you can put it in your hotel's locked "luggage room" if your room isn't ready - then that would be my suggestion.

Not just a CPH thing, just a travel thing. :D

My ship stops at Kalundborg. Is there a good train service from Kalundborg to Copenhagen? I'd like to take my family of four to Tivoli but also want to make sure I can get back to the ship before it departs - ship excursions are always a bit expensive. Thanks.

My ship stops at Kalundborg. Is there a good train service from Kalundborg to Copenhagen? I'd like to take my family of four to Tivoli but also want to make sure I can get back to the ship before it departs - ship excursions are always a bit expensive. Thanks.

you don't say how long you will be in port.

Kalundborg is on the opposite end of the island from CPH - about 68miles away.

There is a regional train that will take you into the City Center - and get you to within an easy walk of Tivoli.

The trip will take you about 1.5 (ish) hours.

You can plan you trip out by using http://www.dsb.dk and putting in Kalundborg in the FRA box and Kobenhaven H in the TIL box.

You then choose your date(s), time, and whether or not you want it to give you the reverse as well.

Also - if/when you choose to go, the people staffing the ticket booth to sell you the ticket will be able to answer questions, etc.

Enjoy your stay in Denmark..... :D

Thanks. I've been to Copenhagen several times on business so know my way around the city centre, but that's about it. We're in port from 0700 to 1700, about 10 hours so a train journey is possible. I'll visit the website you recommended.

Depends on what your version of "reasonable" is. :rolleyes:

I'm not a huge wine drinker - so honestly I have no idea.

Here is a link though, to a "wine guide" along with a phone & email address. Maybe you can inquire to them as to any suggestions of both locations and products to seek out while you are here.

http://www.vinbladet.dk/uk/index.html

Jen,

Thanks for your helpful answers to my prior questions (about pastries and smorebrod(sp?)), can't wait to try those.

I see that you're not a huge wine drinker, but I was wondering if there are any popular local beers you could recommend? Hopefully beers that are unavailable in the US (ie- not Carlsberg, etc. Although I'm sure even that is better there than in the US).

And now, for a really dumb question (although the dumbest question is the one you don't ask) is the city pronounced Co-pen-HAH-gen or Co-pen-HAY-gen???? I've heard it both ways. I know I will stand out as a tourist no matter what I do, but I don't want to be any more obvious than I need to.

Jen,

Thanks for your helpful answers to my prior questions (about pastries and smorebrod(sp?)), can't wait to try those.

I see that you're not a huge wine drinker, but I was wondering if there are any popular local beers you could recommend? Hopefully beers that are unavailable in the US (ie- not Carlsberg, etc. Although I'm sure even that is better there than in the US).

And now, for a really dumb question (although the dumbest question is the one you don't ask) is the city pronounced Co-pen-HAH-gen or Co-pen-HAY-gen???? I've heard it both ways. I know I will stand out as a tourist no matter what I do, but I don't want to be any more obvious than I need to.

LOL

Beer - Tuborg and Carlsburg are the two BIG beers here in CPH. Both, actually, made by the same manufacturer... Tuborg seems to be more "upper crust" and Carlsburg seems to be more "rest of the bunch".

other than that, there are a bunch of small breweries that exist in Denmark and you can get the bottled beer at some of the nicer/larger "supermarkets" (and I use that term LIGHTLY) -- places like Super Best and Irma.

As far as the pronunciation - Copen-HAY-gen is more widely accepted, though I do still here Copen-HA-gen pronounced too.

LOL

Beer - Tuborg and Carlsburg are the two BIG beers here in CPH. Both, actually, made by the same manufacturer... Tuborg seems to be more "upper crust" and Carlsburg seems to be more "rest of the bunch".

other than that, there are a bunch of small breweries that exist in Denmark and you can get the bottled beer at some of the nicer/larger "supermarkets" (and I use that term LIGHTLY) -- places like Super Best and Irma.

As far as the pronunciation - Copen-HAY-gen is more widely accepted, though I do still here Copen-HA-gen pronounced too.

Jen,

Thanks for the quick response. I just found out our cruise arrives back to CPH one day earlier than originally scheduled, thus giving me more time to sample different beer. And I'll be able to attempt to correctly pronounce the name of the city I'll be in.

Yum!

as i understand it the reason the city is pronounced in english with an hay instead of the hah goes back to the 2nd world war due to the danes fierce dislike of the invading germans who called it copenHAHgen...amazing the things you remember from being a history major in college

sandie

LOL

Most likely it's because that's the way Danny Kaye sang it..."Wonderful, wonderful, Copen...HAH...gen...."

Pia

@Jacsonrose

It makes sense but i had never heard that story before.

In german it is Kopenhagen (or Kopen-hah-gen) so it makes sense.

BTW. if you want to say it right it is København (Kø-ben-havn) but i don´t know how to explain the ø sound. :)

@Jacsonrose

It makes sense but i had never heard that story before.

In german it is Kopenhagen (or Kopen-hah-gen) so it makes sense.

BTW. if you want to say it right it is København (Kø-ben-havn) but i don´t know how to explain the ø sound. :)

LOL

I've speak Swedish and Danish - and I STILL can't pronounce the ø sound correctly. :D

And - the havn part isn't too easy either.... more like hAUton than anything else (in English anyway).

language is a funny thing

BTW. CruisinEurope, did you get the E-mail i send you.

Yes, it sure is!

What is funny, is that my 4 yr old (almost 5) has better Danish pronounciation than he does English! He slurrs and blurs his English, while his Danish is spot on!

Anyway - no, Danish Viking, I haven't received any emails from you.

Make sure you check the details for YOUR ship and YOUR cruise dates when figuring out which dock you will be at - we are on Seven Seas Voyager Aug.2 and will be at Langelinie, so it may be that the same lines could dock at different ports, depending on the date

Hi Jen,

Another big THANK YOU for all your great advice.

Hubby and I are big walkers. Last time I was in Copenhagen I walked a big loop from Nyhavn around the Mermaid, Rosenborg and Amalienborg palaces and back downtown again in half a day. Just walking around enjoying the sights is our favourite way to spend a day.

Given that... we are staying at a hotel called Skt Petri (do you know it? I hope it is good...) which seems to be not too far from Tivoli. Would it be a safe/enjoyable/reasonable walk from there down Stroget to Nyhavn and then out to Rosenborg? If this is too far to walk, which part of it would be most interesting/pleasant/scenic? I would like to show him what I loved last time but also see some areas I didn't experience.

We love to walk but not down the side of a freeway or through a dull industrial area... I'm sure you get it!

The hotel is located on or near Købmagergade, i can´t remember exactly.

Købmagergade is a pedestrian street leading up to Strøget shopping street.

The hotel is very near Rosenborg Castle and Nørreport train and metro station, there is a 10-15 minute walk to the Castle.

LOL. Depends on what you want to DO while on the Sroget. If you want to SHOP - then don't go on Sunday.

If you're content with window shopping, and getting a coffee, pastry, and lunch along the way - then go on Sunday. SOME restaurants, cafes, coffee shops, etc. will be open on Sunday.

AND - SOME stores are open on Sunday. MOST are open on the 1st Sunday of the month too - so depending on when you are arriving, you can take that into consideration.

Since it's Tourist season, MORE and MORE stores are opening downtown on Sundays... so it's not as dead down there as it is during the winter.

one of my favorite Sunday things to do is to head out to Kronborg castle, see that, and then take the ferry over to sweden (all shops are open in Sweden on Sunday). From there you can either take the ferry back to where you started, or take the train up to Malmo ... and then take the train back in to copenhagen. It's an all day thing (especially if you do Malmo) -- but a neat way to do two countries.

otherwise - yes, we tend to do the stroget on Sunday just to window shop and people watch. It's much less crowded, and hubby has no fear of the credit card smoking by the time we're done. LOL

Thank you for the the advice and answers you have give. It's made my job of planning what to see and do that much easier.

I saw this post about Sweden which we are thinking of doing one of the days while in Copenhagen. Can give me prices for the ferry over and then taking the train from Helsingbor thru Malmo to Copenhagen? Do the ferries and trains run frequently and should we make reservations? We will be going mid week and don't know how crowded transportation would be with commuters. Thanks for any info you can give me.

Buy the Øresund Rundt (around Øresund) ticket at the tourist office near Tivoli, it will give you free acces to trains and ferrys in the Øresund Region.

It cost 199 swedish kroner (i dont know the danish price but i think that it is the same in danish)

Trains and ferrys runs/sails all the time and you can´t make a seat reservation because it is only local trains.

Rush hour is between 7 and 8 in the morning and 15 to 17 in the evening most people getting into Copenhagen and Malmø/Malmoe in the morning and out in the evening.

Archived