I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Yes it covers the Copenhagen Metropolitan area (Køge :) in the south, Roskilde in the west, Hillerød, Helsingør/Elsinore and the fishing villages in the north and Dragør and the Airport in the east) and the western part of Scania, you can by a another card that also cover the eastern part of Scania but i do not recommend that because the trip takes to long.

We have some old Denmark coins dated 1960s and 1970s (ORE and Krones). I have no idea where I obtained them…probably from parents or aunts who were in Copenhagen years ago. Do you know if these coins can still be used in Denmark? If so, we might as well take them and use them on our trip in September. l

5, and 50 øre´s and 1, 2, 5, 10 and 20 kroner´s are valid

Also the notes 50, 100, 200, 500 and 1000 is valid.

But the 25 øre is not valid after october the 1th 2008.

But look at this website, because i don´t know if the money can get to old.

http://www.nationalbanken.dk/dnuk/specialdocuments.nsf

This thread is amazing! There is so much wonderful information! Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge!

I am hoping you can answer on more question.

We will be staying at the Marriott and will be going to dinner at the Indian Embassy one evening. Do you know where the Embassy is located? How far from the Marriott? Will we need to take a taxi or is it walking distance?

Ok that was 3 questions.

Thanks for you help.

We are three adults arriving in Copenhagen from NYC at 9:00AM August 8 and Crown Princess departs that night at 8:00. Do you have any suggestions for that day touring for three jet lagged adults?

Also return stop docking at Noon and leaving the next day?

Thank you for starting this thread, there is alot of helpful info here. I am trying to organize things for our group. I would appreciate some suggestions.

We arrive at the airport on Sunday Aug. 17. Our arrival time is 13:20, so I assume by the time we get our luggage and go through customs it will be about 14:00. Our hotel is near Central Station so we are planning on purchasing a CPH card and taking the train to the hotel. I am planning on being checked in at the hotel by 15:00.

Since we are so close to Tivoli, we plan to spend time there that night. However, we don't really want to spend ALL night there. I'm wondering what we would be able to do before going to Tivoli. Since it is a Sunday, I am assuming that most of the shops along the Stroget will be closed. Also I think that Rosenborg closes at 16:00 on Sunday so we really don't have time to do that. How late do the canal tours run on Sunday?

On Monday the 18th we have pretty much the whole day - we don't need to check in on the ship until 19:00 (although we plan to go earlier than that). I understand that most of the museums are closed on Monday, so those will have to wait for a future visit :D Also our ship is docked at Free Port, so we will be leaving our luggage at the hotel while we tour, and then taking a taxi from the hotel to Free Port. We want to see Rosenborg, Stroget, and Nyhavn (must see The Little Mermaid, of course!) I don't believe the Queen will be in residence so there will not be a Changing of Guard ceremony, is that correct?

One more thing: When we disembark on Aug. 28, our flight does not leave until later in the afternoon. Princess offers an excursion where we can go to Dragor for awhile, then they will drop us off at the airport (we are having them handle our luggage that day). Is Dragor a nice spot to end our vacation?

We are three adults arriving in Copenhagen from NYC at 9:00AM August 8 and Crown Princess departs that night at 8:00. Do you have any suggestions for that day touring for three jet lagged adults?

Also return stop docking at Noon and leaving the next day?

We took a hop-on/hop-off canal boat cruise the day we arrived, although we never got off. It just required us to sit there, and our kids were pretty tired. We got to see some beautiful, interesting parts of the city, and get some fresh air at the same time. There is a link to the company's website here:

http://www.canaltours.com/DCT/EN/

Thank you for starting this thread, there is alot of helpful info here. I am trying to organize things for our group. I would appreciate some suggestions.

We arrive at the airport on Sunday Aug. 17. Our arrival time is 13:20, so I assume by the time we get our luggage and go through customs it will be about 14:00. Our hotel is near Central Station so we are planning on purchasing a CPH card and taking the train to the hotel. I am planning on being checked in at the hotel by 15:00.

Since we are so close to Tivoli, we plan to spend time there that night. However, we don't really want to spend ALL night there. I'm wondering what we would be able to do before going to Tivoli. Since it is a Sunday, I am assuming that most of the shops along the Stroget will be closed. Also I think that Rosenborg closes at 16:00 on Sunday so we really don't have time to do that. How late do the canal tours run on Sunday?

On Monday the 18th we have pretty much the whole day - we don't need to check in on the ship until 19:00 (although we plan to go earlier than that). I understand that most of the museums are closed on Monday, so those will have to wait for a future visit :D Also our ship is docked at Free Port, so we will be leaving our luggage at the hotel while we tour, and then taking a taxi from the hotel to Free Port. We want to see Rosenborg, Stroget, and Nyhavn (must see The Little Mermaid, of course!) I don't believe the Queen will be in residence so there will not be a Changing of Guard ceremony, is that correct?

One more thing: When we disembark on Aug. 28, our flight does not leave until later in the afternoon. Princess offers an excursion where we can go to Dragor for awhile, then they will drop us off at the airport (we are having them handle our luggage that day). Is Dragor a nice spot to end our vacation?

Nabby,

I believe you are on the Crown Princess Aug. 18th with us and perhaps even participating in the Alla tour with many of our group.

We will be in Copenhagen arriving on Sat. Aug. 16th. On Sunday night our group is taking the Jazz Canal boat tour at 7pm. It is a 1 & 1/2 hr tour with great Dixieland jazz aboard. Play the little video to see & preview the ride & music. Very cool!!

Here is their website: http://www.canaltours.com/mediafiles/canaltours/special%20arrangementer/M65_jazz%20brochure_2008_tryk.pdf

Here are the links for the little samples of their music videos:

Hope this info helps.

Judy

Thank you for your most informative information. We've been to Copenhagen twice; stayed for a week the first time and walked and took buses everywhere.

Question: Two years ago we paid $36.00 U.S. from port to airport. We're flying in September 5th and staying at the Marriott for 2 nights pre-cruise. Are the taxis definitely no longer taking American dollars? If that's the case, we'll just exchange at the airport ATM.

Thanks again.

Pia

We are just back from Copenhagen, our taxi driver took a credit card for payment.

It was $25 from our downtown hotel to the ship.

Louise

Judy- that canal tour sounds like fun! We were thinking of visiting the Christiansborg Palace and then catching a Netto canal tour from there (Netto is very cheap, only 30 DKK). I will mention the tour you are taking to my friends. I'm sure we will end the evening at Tivoli since our hotel is quite close.

Yes we are on your cruise, but we are on a separate tour in SPB through DenRus. I had to laugh when I got our DenRus tickets - they put a departure time of 6:30 on there! (I don't think the ship is even docked yet at that time). They did it so that if we have to argue for an early disembark we have some ammunition. However we plan to just walk off the ship on our own. Hope to meet all of you California people on board.

Nabby,

I believe you are on the Crown Princess Aug. 18th with us and perhaps even participating in the Alla tour with many of our group.

We will be in Copenhagen arriving on Sat. Aug. 16th. On Sunday night our group is taking the Jazz Canal boat tour at 7pm. It is a 1 & 1/2 hr tour with great Dixieland jazz aboard. Play the little video to see & preview the ride & music. Very cool!!

Here is their website: http://www.canaltours.com/mediafiles/canaltours/special%20arrangementer/M65_jazz%20brochure_2008_tryk.pdf

Here are the links for the little samples of their music videos:

Hope this info helps.

Judy

Dear CruisinEurope and all others,

I just finished reading this entire thread! It took some time, but was very enjoyable. Thank you so much for all your info. I will be in CPH on Saturday, Aug. 30 (Jewel OTS). I plan to get off the ship as early as possible and walk over to see the young lady (Little Mermaid LOL). Based on your prior comment, I will then continue walking to the Gefion fountain. I want to also visit 1, 2 or three castles and then check out the Fountain of Charity in Gammel Torv, the Hans Christian Anderson Statue near City Hall and then Tivoli Gardens before returning to the ship.

I love the idea of touring castles. There are 3, Rosenborg, Amalienbourg and Christiansborg. It seems as if Rosenborg is a MUST and I will be there no later than 10 am when it opens. In a tour book I bought, it said the changing of the guard at Amalienbourg is only worthwhile when the Queen is in town.

Question #1: Is this true about the Changing of the Guard? If true, do you know how I can find out if she will be there on Aug. 30?

I don't think I have enough time to also tour Amalienbourg and Christiansborg.

Question #2: Which one do you think is more awesome or can I skip both tours???

Question #3: What is the fastest way from the Guifion Fountain to Rosenborg Castle?

BTW, I plan to eat a Smørrebrød (with herring, meat or cheese) from a take out place AND a hot dog (ristet mit med det hele).

Budget constraints may prohibit me from entering Tivoli Gardens. I will play it by ear.

Thanks a million.

BTW, I plan to eat a Smørrebrød (with herring, meat or cheese) from a take out place AND a hot dog (ristet mit med det hele).

Budget constraints may prohibit me from entering Tivoli Gardens. I will play it by ear.

Thanks a million.

We spent the evening a few years ago in Tivoli Gardens. It is a wonderment for both children & adults. The Italian lights everywhere are so beautiful. We had a wonderful Danish dinner in an outdoor garden of a restaurant right on the little lake. Problem is: it was quite expensive just to enter the park for that one evening and of course the meal was also $$$$. It turns out it was worth it though as it is still a vibrant memory of a glorious evening.

I read this blog faithfully but haven't seen a post from either of the 2 who give us the most informative & valued tips. Have I missed something? Are they on vacation or have they just become to busy to connect anymore. Regardless - we miss you.

Sorry it is vacation time but is it nice to know that you guys miss me:)

And i will do my best to answer in time but it´s not always possible.

First up is Eastplain.

Copenhagen is very walkable so i will just stroll around and visit some museums and take a nice relaxing canal tour, i just get so relaxed when i am out sailing and i think you will have it the same way.

@ Nabby

I think that the last regular Canal tour sails around 17:00 (the trip takes about 1 hour) so you have a busy day.

But the jazz cruise looks fun.

The changing of the guard is everyday but only in full force when the queen is home, im nut sure but i will check it out and return with more information later.

Dragør is a very small fishing village and there is not alot to do but it is very charming and pearceful.

@ Volvodoll

I thank that the only place to eat real danish food is in Tivoli just around the corner from your hotel.

Meat restaurants serves italian and french cousine but Noma just on the other side of the harbour serves danish food with a twist.

The restaurant has 2 michelin stars (the only one in the nordic and baltic countrys)

http://www.noma.dk/main.php?lang=en

@ singlemom

#1 www.kongehuset.dk will have the information.

#2 I will skip Christianborg and take a visit to the Amalienborg museum.

#3 its an easy walk, about 15-20 minutes, or walk up to Østerport train station and take the train one stop to Nørreport train/Metro station.

The best Smørrebrød it at Ida Davidsen or the Restaurant at Sankt Anne Hotel, i just watched a episode of Lonely Planet where this girl (merylees or something like that) ate some Smørrebrod from Sankt Anne (and also some danish bread from La glace)

The icebar is at the Town hall Square, when you exit from the Strøget shopping street just turn left, and yes take a quick look and go out again, i will do the same if i was you.

Archived