I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Unfortunately, we will only be in CPH from about 4 pm on Saturday until we catch a van to the ship on Sunday at noon. Are there any tours that we could do in that time frame for a quick overview of the city. We will be staying at the Marriott

I believe that the HOHO and canal tours operate on Sunday morning - but you may be cutting it close for noon.

Most everything closes by 2 on Saturday except for the MAJOR dept. stores and cafes, etc.

I would just walk around on your own around:

Town Hall Square

Stroget

Rosenborg

Amailienborg

Geiffon Fountain

and of course Tivoli - - since you will be there overnight - it will be a treat to see it all lit up. Tivoli is wonderful in the evening with over 100,000 lights making the whole place magical.

Enjoy your (brief) overnight stay!

Is it possible to take the metro directly from the airport to Nordhavn Station to get to Freeport, or would I need to switch at another station?

Also, is the closest station to the Carlsberg brewery the Enghave station, or is there one closer?

One more question, which bus would I take to get to the Assistens Cemetary, and which stop would I get off at?

Thanks.

First I'd like to thank you for all the great info that you've distributed through this thread.

When I've told friends about my upcoming visit to CPH, I frequently get comments along the lines of 'don't forget to try some danish pastry!' You may have already answered this previously on here, but what is the name that they call these pastries in Denmark? Do you have a favorite place to get them (in downtown), or are they pretty much the same all over?

thanks -

ps-While I'm asking about food, what about those famous open face sandwiches? Where to get them?

Thanks again for the info you put out.

We have the CPH cards. Please tell me if what we have planned is feasible or if you have any recommendations or changes.

!. go to the closest Stog station near the pier and get the E train to Fred castle.(Hillerod). Take the boat ride if we're still there and it opens(1pm on Sun).

2 Come back and switch to the E tog and go to the Aquarium.

3. Take the train back and see the zoo.

4. If time do the Carlsberg Brewery tour and the Kronborg Castle.

What do you think?

Thanks, Gary

I believe that the HOHO and canal tours operate on Sunday morning - but you may be cutting it close for noon.

Most everything closes by 2 on Saturday except for the MAJOR dept. stores and cafes, etc.

I would just walk around on your own around:

Town Hall Square

Stroget

Rosenborg

Amailienborg

Geiffon Fountain

and of course Tivoli - - since you will be there overnight - it will be a treat to see it all lit up. Tivoli is wonderful in the evening with over 100,000 lights making the whole place magical.

Enjoy your (brief) overnight stay!

When you say most things close by 2pm on Sat, do you mean stores AND all the touristry things - like the canal, Round Tower, Resistance Museum, etc. We were planing on a long day on Saturday using the HOHO bus and going around all day to see as many of the sights that we can. Thanks

Thanks again for the info you put out.

We have the CPH cards. Please tell me if what we have planned is feasible or if you have any recommendations or changes.

!. go to the closest Stog station near the pier and get the E train to Fred castle.(Hillerod). Take the boat ride if we're still there and it opens(1pm on Sun).

2 Come back and switch to the E tog and go to the Aquarium.

3. Take the train back and see the zoo.

4. If time do the Carlsberg Brewery tour and the Kronborg Castle.

What do you think?

Thanks, Gary

when do you get in and how much time do you have?

I do not think that what you have outlined here is doable in ONE day - maybe two... more like 3.

First I'd like to thank you for all the great info that you've distributed through this thread.

When I've told friends about my upcoming visit to CPH, I frequently get comments along the lines of 'don't forget to try some danish pastry!' You may have already answered this previously on here, but what is the name that they call these pastries in Denmark? Do you have a favorite place to get them (in downtown), or are they pretty much the same all over?

thanks -

ps-While I'm asking about food, what about those famous open face sandwiches? Where to get them?

Pastry - of all kinds translates into "Vienna Bread" here. The actual "danish" as we know it is called spandauer in Danish. Don't bother attempting it - just point and say THAT! LOL

Here - they come in two varities - "creme" (which is like an egg custard) and raspberry jam.

They are made at pretty much EVERY bakery and most are really good. Stop when your tummy grumbles and enjoy!

As far as the sandwiches - they are smorrebrod (sorry, my keyboard doesn't have the danish vowels to spell it correctly).

The MOST famous place in town to get one is Ida Davidson's - - but be prepared for an astronomical price and probably a hefty wait.

As with most food - I find that the little "holes in the wall" places are usually the better food - and better prices. You can find smorrebrod at most little cafe's and what not.

Enjoy!

When you say most things close by 2pm on Sat, do you mean stores AND all the touristry things - like the canal, Round Tower, Resistance Museum, etc. We were planing on a long day on Saturday using the HOHO bus and going around all day to see as many of the sights that we can. Thanks

The mermaid tour on the HOHO bus goes until 4:30 daily until Aug 31. Departs every 1/2 hour.

Now - if you want to get OFF at any of the stops - then you need to research what will be open. In fact - the last bus (or two) may not actually be HOHO's per se - they just may drive you in the loop. We had that happen when we caught the last bus of the day .. they just drove us around since if we got off - there wouldn't be another bus to come get us.

The canal tours go later than this - so that may be a better "evening-ish" thing to do. Do the HOHO first, and then the canal tour.

:-D

when do you get in and how much time do you have?

I do not think that what you have outlined here is doable in ONE day - maybe two... more like 3.

We arrive on Jul 27th(Sun) at 8am leave at 4pm.

Thanks,Gary

We arrive on Jul 27th(Sun) at 8am leave at 4pm.

Thanks,Gary

HI Gary!

That means that you probably won't be off the boat until say 9ish and will probably have to be back on for 2ish.

So that gives you only 5 hours to see Copenhagen.

You could do Frederiksborg in 5 hours - with a stop at my favorite Sweater shop (ohhh... sunday... not sure if he's open. I'll call and check).

You could do Kronborg in 5 hours and maybe even sneak in a peek at Louisiana (a FAST peek).

You could do the zoo and the aquarium in 5 hours.

You could do Carlsberg & Tivoli in 5 hours... and maybe even Rosenborg.

I think that each thing that you list would require at LEAST 2 hours to do them any justice... so I guess it's just planning out what you REALLY want to do .

Also - with it being Sunday - you may have VERY limited options as far as what is open. Whatever you plan on doing - go to their website and MAKE SURE they will be open (and what their opening time is). Some places don't open until 10 or 11 on Sunday - - effectively making your day quite short.

Also - public transportation runs a bit slower on some lines on Sunday. For example, the C train only runs every 20 mins or so vs. every 8 that it does on the weekdays. So you also need to buffer in some extra travel time.

if you want/need help once you've pinpointed your MUST DO's - I can help with logistics if you need.

Hi, and thank you for your great information!!

I was wondering if you know how often the trains run between Hillerod and Helsingor and how much time the the train takes between these two stops?

Also, the same for Helsingor returning to Copehagen.

Thanks!!

Thanks for the quick response.

What about the F Castle and the Aquarium?

The ships usually get into port earlier than posted.

I figure we can be at F Castle by 10am when it opens.

The Aquarium also opens at 10am on Sundays.

What about these two, then see what time we have left if any?

Thanks, Gary

CruisinEurope,

Thanks so very, very much for your advice. We are not cruising until June 2009 but are planning as much as possible now. DH is major planner!!:D

You mentioned SAS hotels and prefer downtown to one near airport. We will arrive the day before the Emerald Princess sails. We have been looking @ SAS Scandinavia - is it the airport hotel to which you refer? Princess Cruises uses it as one of their two hotels to recommend w/ package deals.

Thanks again,

Jean & Ed

I was wondering if you know how often the trains run between Hillerod and Helsingor and how much time the the train takes between these two stops?

Thanks!!

You can go to http://www.rejseplanen.dk and get times and which bus, metro, etc. to take for the days you are travelling.

where is there a good bakery for breakfast near the marriott,

also where is the nearest tiger store?

thanks

There's a Tiger Store on the Raadhuspladsen which is the same street as Tivoli, City Hall and the way to the Stroget. I would assume it's around there somewhere. I intend to take a look there too.

Thanks for the quick response.

What about the F Castle and the Aquarium?

The ships usually get into port earlier than posted.

I figure we can be at F Castle by 10am when it opens.

The Aquarium also opens at 10am on Sundays.

What about these two, then see what time we have left if any?

Thanks, Gary

hey Gary - - I think that is doable. Just mind your watch and be sure to plan your trips with train times. Also - to get from the STog to the F castle, you also need to take a bus. Or it's about a mile + away from the S tog station.

You can plan all of your trips out on http://www.dsb.dk

And - the aquarium is also a good 10 mins walk from the Charlottenlund S tog station - but it's a pretty one.

Enjoy your stay!

Thanks!!

Please use

http://www.dsb.dk

to plan out your trips. There are too many variables for me to answer this question succinctly.

There isn't a direct bus or train that goes between these two places. It will require changing - and there are a few options for you to do it.

CruisinEurope,

Thanks so very, very much for your advice. We are not cruising until June 2009 but are planning as much as possible now. DH is major planner!!:D

You mentioned SAS hotels and prefer downtown to one near airport. We will arrive the day before the Emerald Princess sails. We have been looking @ SAS Scandinavia - is it the airport hotel to which you refer? Princess Cruises uses it as one of their two hotels to recommend w/ package deals.

Thanks again,

Jean & Ed

that one is OK. it's not IN the city per se - but close enough to be enjoyable.

if you can get a top floor - the views will be wonderful!

:D

where is there a good bakery for breakfast near the marriott,

also where is the nearest tiger store?

thanks

depends on which Tiger store you are looking for.

the cheap-o dollar store type

or the lingerie store.

as far as the bakery near the Marriott - - I have no idea. I am not down there often - as it's more located on the outskirts of the "city proper". Only reason for me to go out that way is to actually GO to the Marriott itself or out to the airport...

Ask your hotel concierge for suggestions when you arrive.

Oh - the Library does have a wonderful cafe though - - but not sure that it's open for breakfast hours. May not be open until 10.

There's a Tiger Store on the Raadhuspladsen which is the same street as Tivoli, City Hall and the way to the Stroget. I would assume it's around there somewhere. I intend to take a look there too.

If you guys are looking for the "dollar store" type Tiger - then you can find them here:

http://www.Tiger.dk

You can click FIND BUTIK and then click SJAELLAND (the island on which CPH is located).

Then you can click Kobenhaven K, S, V, or O to locate the stores.

There are quite a few - and if you walk the Stroget, you will happen upon a few of them.

If you are looking for the Tiger CLOTHING store - then you can visit http://www.TigerofSweden.com for locations.

CruisinEurope,

Thanks again,

Jean & Ed

We stayed at the Copenhagen Radisson SAS Hotel in Aug. 2005. The location was on the other side of a river or canal from the city. It wasn't far into town with a cab and the cab at that time took our VISA card for the fare. I'm not sure they still take credit cards. That might be something to look into.

On the late morning of our ship's departure, we went to the lobby to take a cab to the port. There was a Princess bus outside of the lobby loading passengers who had booked a pre-cruise tour. We asked if it was possible to buy a ticket to the ship and the Princess rep told us "Come aboard!"

We went down for a cab and found a serendipity instead.

My husband tells us that his mother (probably 50 plus years ago) had lunch in a famous sandwich shop with 1000 sandwiches on the menu. (This must be an exageration!) He feels this restaurant may still be there and run by the same family. Would you know where this might be and a name I could look up for their hours? We will be in Copenhagen on a Saturday & a Sunday and our cruise leaves on Monday.

Thanks in advance for all the help you're giving us.

Archived