I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

After Rosenborg Place, I will go back to Amalienborg Palace by noon to see the changing of the guard if the Queen is in residence (I will write to Amalienborg shortly to see if her schedule is set). What is the best way to get from Rosenborg Castle to Amalienborg Palace? .

but what does it matter if the Queen is in or not? They do the changing of the guard every day at noon REGARDLESS. You won't SEE her, even if she's in... so I'm not sure why this matters??

Now - it's a VERY easy walk from Rosenborg to Amalienborg ... and your map that is in the CPH Guide will provide you with all the info that you need to get from point A to point B ... the map in there is really quite good.

As far as your other technical questions - - the map in your CPH guide is great, and there is also a metro (S-tog) map and (I think!) a bus station map too. The cool thing about the BIG guide (not the little map one) is that it provides EXACT details on how to reach the spot - - via which S tog stop, etc.

Copenhagen is SO EASY to navigate - - you're really going to have a very easy time getting to all of your destinations. No worries :D

Hi nabby!

I get into CPH at 2:30 pm.

What are those "stadium vans" you are talking about? Are they a cab but just larger or is it like a airport shuttle? Is there the possibility of renting a van at the airport and drive to the ship and drop it off there?

I've never heard of anything called "stadium vans" ... nor would I have any idea how to get one reserved.

There really aren't any BIG vans/etc. for personal hire in CPH... you're lucky if they have anything that holds 5 people. The streets are tiny, and parking is a umm... nightmare if you're in anything bigger than a 4 door car. So the places like Hertz, etc. don't typically "stock" those types of vans like you can get in the states.

Here are the phone #s of the major taxi companys so that - if you would like to call and see if they can get a specific one to you - maybe this will help

Codan Taxi

Tel.: +45 7025 2525

Hovedstadens Taxi

Tel.: +45 3877 7777

Taxa 4 x 35

Tel.: +45 3535 3535

Taxamotor A/S

Tel.: +45 3810 1010

I've never heard of anything called "stadium vans" ... nor would I have any idea how to get one reserved.

There really aren't any BIG vans/etc. for personal hire in CPH... you're lucky if they have anything that holds 5 people. The streets are tiny, and parking is a umm... nightmare if you're in anything bigger than a 4 door car. So the places like Hertz, etc. don't typically "stock" those types of vans like you can get in the states.

Here are the phone #s of the major taxi companys so that - if you would like to call and see if they can get a specific one to you - maybe this will help

Codan Taxi

Tel.: +45 7025 2525

Hovedstadens Taxi

Tel.: +45 3877 7777

Taxa 4 x 35

Tel.: +45 3535 3535

Taxamotor A/S

Tel.: +45 3810 1010

Do these companies have any English web sites?

Thank you for the help

Hi nabby!

I get into CPH at 2:30 pm.

What are those "stadium vans" you are talking about? Are they a cab but just larger or is it like a airport shuttle? Is there the possibility of renting a van at the airport and drive to the ship and drop it off there?

I was talking with some people who just came back from a Baltic cruise a few weeks ago. They said that the people at the hotel (who called for taxis for them) referred to them as stadium vans. They are regular taxis but are more like station wagons so you can fit more people in. They said the most you could fit in would be 5 people and that would be really packed, and we would have to hold some of our own luggage. We are OK with that since it won't be too far. I think that there is a large taxi stand at the airport so you should be able to get something pretty easily. One thing I discovered is that the fares go up after 4:00 pm so you won't want to waste any time. Do you have time after the cruise to explore Copenhagen?

but what does it matter if the Queen is in or not? They do the changing of the guard every day at noon REGARDLESS. You won't SEE her, even if she's in... so I'm not sure why this matters??

- the map in your CPH guide is great, and there is also a metro (S-tog) map and (I think!) a bus station map too. The cool thing about the BIG guide (not the little map one) is that it provides EXACT details on how to reach the spot :D

Dear Cruisin-

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I thought the Changing of the Guard was not a big thing if the Queen is not in residence. Since it is a pretty sight, even if she is not in residence, I will be sure to go over, after I finish Rosenborg.

I can't wait to see your city and enjoy all the sights. Being a New Yorker, I will probably have someone take a picture of me eating a hot dog at one of your hot dog stands.

If you ever decide to fly to my fair city, please send me an email and I will try to help you. I am sending you my screen name directly to your screen name.

did you already try to google them?

Yes. Only found Danish sites.

I was talking with some people who just came back from a Baltic cruise a few weeks ago. They said that the people at the hotel (who called for taxis for them) referred to them as stadium vans. They are regular taxis but are more like station wagons so you can fit more people in. They said the most you could fit in would be 5 people and that would be really packed, and we would have to hold some of our own luggage. We are OK with that since it won't be too far. I think that there is a large taxi stand at the airport so you should be able to get something pretty easily. One thing I discovered is that the fares go up after 4:00 pm so you won't want to waste any time. Do you have time after the cruise to explore Copenhagen?

We are 10 people, so two 5 passenger cabs are fine.

Yes, we are staying 1 night in Copenhagen after the cruise. I know it is not going to be enough time, but hotels in Copenhagen are very expensive and we are too many people.

Thanks for the advice.

I LITERALLY just saw one of these things tonight as I was coming back from town. It looks like a 2 row mini van - but with a bit more space in the back for luggage/etc.

for 10 people - you would DEF need 2 of them.

You can ask the Taxi Guy at the airport to call them for you if none are in line. Hiring a taxi will automatically make it cost a bit more - - but in your situation it will be worth it.

Dear Cruisin-

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I thought the Changing of the Guard was not a big thing if the Queen is not in residence. Since it is a pretty sight, even if she is not in residence, I will be sure to go over, after I finish Rosenborg.

I can't wait to see your city and enjoy all the sights. Being a New Yorker, I will probably have someone take a picture of me eating a hot dog at one of your hot dog stands.

If you ever decide to fly to my fair city, please send me an email and I will try to help you. I am sending you my screen name directly to your screen name.

I'm actually from Connecticut - - so I've been to NY a few times. :D

Enjoy Copenhagen !!!

I know it's probably somewhere here, but is the big CPH Card guide a freebie? We plan to buy the card in our hotel, will they have the book? Thanks. Three days, can't wait :D.

yes, the guide itself is free, the card isn't. you can get the BIG guide at most of the bigger S-tog stations or at the Visitors center opposite the main entrance to Tivoli/Hard Rock/etc.

My daughter and I were just in Copenhagen for a 2 day stay prior to Boarding the Eurodam and I was shocked at how dirty the city was. We stayed at The Palace Hotel right across the street from the town square and we found the city dirty. Maybe it was the excessive heat, the construction or the masses of people but I was quite taken aback at it.

Apart from that we loved the city! We loved the street vendors with their wonderful hot dogs (expensive by N/A standards) and chocolate milk!

Linda

Hi

We are going to arrive at CPH airport on the August 18th. We are a group of 10, who need to get a direct cab to the port because I am afraid of losing the ship. Do you know the cost? Are there any cabs for groups (vans)?

Thank you for all the help

aviator

My daughter and I just returned on Aug 4th from the Eurodam and the taxis from port to airport cost over $300 DKK, which is at least $70 USD. I only had $300 DKK left and I told the cab driver this so he stopped the meter at $300 DKK. Other passengers I met at the airport said they paid $360 DKK. We left the ship at 7:30 am.......

Good luck

That surprises me that you say that. I think that CPH is one of the cleanest cities that I've been to in Europe - - and in the States.

The amount of "wall art" (graffitti) surprises me... but the litter is very well kept under control, and the cleanliness of public areas is nothing short of amazing to me considering the amount of tourists that trapse through the city.

Glad you enjoyed your hot dog and chocolate milk!

Yes, CPH is expensive. The very weak dollar doesn't help things - - but - - the GOOD news is that the dollar has actually GAINED strength and is at it's highest point in a year! So - - soon, hopefully, things will "even out" a bit.

hey everyone!

i know there are a BUNCH of you who have gotten advice from this thread and who have completed your trips - -

I'd LOVE feedback as to what you saw, what you did, and what you thought of your time in CPH.

What would you do AGAIN and what would you SKIP?

Was there anything that you learned from this board that really helped you during your time in CPH?

Thanks!

hey everyone!

i know there are a BUNCH of you who have gotten advice from this thread and who have completed your trips - -

I'd LOVE feedback as to what you saw, what you did, and what you thought of your time in CPH.

What would you do AGAIN and what would you SKIP?

Was there anything that you learned from this board that really helped you during your time in CPH?

Thanks!

CruisenEurope --

While I have not yet completed any cruise - I have gleaned many great ideas from your posts. When I do get to Copenhagen I now have a better idea of what to see and how to get around. The information you provide is invaluable and the time you take away from your family to help complete strangers is truely fantastic. I as well as many others appreciate your valuable input. Perhaps why you have not gotten much feedback from those who have already traveled is that they are not sure just how much your information assisted them as there is much valuable information. They may have forgotten where it came from. Or don't realize that your input helped plan there trip.

For those that don't know CruisenEurope is a gem of a resource for anyone going to Copenhagen. She takes time from her beautiful family to assist the strangers. She is a U.S. citizen living in Copenhagen who only wants to provide this information as a service.

When I get to Copenhagen it would be a great pleasure to meet this terrific family and thank them in person for what they do.

Do you know anything about the Bornholm Ferry from Copenhagen and if it still runs? Is there a web site for it?

Thank you very much,

Sherry

http://www.netbus.dk/

i can't find one in English - - but there is a phone number and an email - - so you can try to contact them for specifics.

This is a VERY LONG trip - and not something that is easily done in one day (IMHO). The ferry each way is close to 3 hours.

But, if you have 2 days to spend in the area - Bornholm is a beautiful spot!

EDIT:

you can also fly from CPH to the island:

this website has a bunch of info about getting to/from Bornholm. start here:

http://www.bornholm.info/Rejseveje/274we.aspx?langId=2

CruisinEurope, I really did appreciate all your tips (and used them) when in Copenhagen 2 1/2 weeks ago. BTW, loved Copenhagen.

We used the metro for transport mostly, except for going from the hotel to the ship with luggage when we did a taxi. It is very easy to get around.

We stayed at the Hilton by the airport because we could do so for free with my husband's Hilton Honors points. This was a big savings because, as you know, Copenhagen is expensive. We had executive lounge access so ate a big breakfast there, had a good lunch in town then ate a small supper in the lounge in the evening.

We walked all over the place, went to the Botanical Garden, the Resistance Museum, little mermaid, Castellet, the National Museum.

Loved all of it and will be back next year for the start and end of our Norway cruise.

PS: Are you a Navy wife by chance? Did I see that somewhere? I have a soft spot for military families as my oldest son is a Marine. If you are, thanks to you and your husband!

CruisinEurope, I really did appreciate all your tips (and used them) when in Copenhagen 2 1/2 weeks ago. BTW, loved Copenhagen.

We used the metro for transport mostly, except for going from the hotel to the ship with luggage when we did a taxi. It is very easy to get around.

We stayed at the Hilton by the airport because we could do so for free with my husband's Hilton Honors points. This was a big savings because, as you know, Copenhagen is expensive. We had executive lounge access so ate a big breakfast there, had a good lunch in town then ate a small supper in the lounge in the evening.

We walked all over the place, went to the Botanical Garden, the Resistance Museum, little mermaid, Castellet, the National Museum.

Loved all of it and will be back next year for the start and end of our Norway cruise.

PS: Are you a Navy wife by chance? Did I see that somewhere? I have a soft spot for military families as my oldest son is a Marine. If you are, thanks to you and your husband!

Great "review"!! Thanks!

I am a Navy wife... we LOVE it and have enjoyed all the various opportunities that it's afforded us! Thanks to YOU and your son for his service too!

What cruise do you have booked for Norway next year??? Right now I've booked a little 5 day one... but I think that we're going to splurge on a 13 day one that goes ALLLLL the way up top! LOL

Great "review"!! Thanks!

I am a Navy wife... we LOVE it and have enjoyed all the various opportunities that it's afforded us! Thanks to YOU and your son for his service too!

What cruise do you have booked for Norway next year??? Right now I've booked a little 5 day one... but I think that we're going to splurge on a 13 day one that goes ALLLLL the way up top! LOL

Great "review"!! Thanks!

CruisinEurope -- You will enjoy the 13 day cruise if it is on Hurtigurten - these are not traditional cruise ships but more like ferrys. We were going to take this cruise before we decided on the 5 June 09 cruise out of your great city. The price was just way too much as follows:

NOK 17450 Cabin N2

NOK 17450 Cabin N2

NOK 480 12 Fuel Surcharge

After the cruise we will fly to Oslo and enjoy Norway for a week visiting friends as far North as Andenes.

Perhaps living in the region you can get some great prices......

Archived