Southwest airlines????

crazycruzer68

Yet.....

As some have recently found out (check threads on Southwest in this forum), waiting for Southwest tickets to "open up" can be an expensive gamble.

As for leaning on the "CC friends", take all advice with at least some grain of salt - even from me. I have been wrong before. And we all have personal biases, justified or not. Ultimately, the responsibility for having accurate info falls to yourself, and primary research gives the authoritative answer. I just like to point people in the right direction with a good head start.

Although Southwest flights have gone up in price, they allow 2 checked pieces of luggage per person and one carry-on plus a personal item. So if you are comparing airfare, be sure to add in the checked luggage fees of other airlines to their ticket price.

Baggage Allowance: Beginning January 29, 2008, Southwest will allow two (2) checked pieces of baggage per ticketed Customer. Size and weight limitations apply.

Excess Baggage: Effective January 29, 2008, you may check a third bag for a charge of $25. Your 4th through 9th bag or item will incur a charge of $50 per piece, and any bag or item thereafter will be $110 per piece.

Weight and Size Allowance: Maximum weight is 50 pounds and maximum size is 62 inches (length + width + height) per checked piece of luggage. Effective March 1, 2005, overweight items from 51 to 70 pounds will be accepted for a charge of $25.00 per item. Items weighing from 71 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches (i.e., surfboards, bicycles, vaulting poles) will be accepted for a charge of $50.00 per item. Any item weighing more than 100 pounds must be shipped as Air Cargo. However, Customers cannot use SWA Cargo unless classified as a Known Shipper as defined by the TSA or TSA approved Indirect Air Carriers (IAC).

Per TSA regulations, carryon items are limited to one bag plus one smaller, personal-type item.

Personal-type items include purses, briefcases, cameras, food containers, or laptops (case included).

Southwest Airlines limits carryon bag dimensions to 10x16x24 inches.

All Customers and Employees and their items are subject to a thorough, physical search.

The following items are not considered carryon bags or personal-type items and are not counted against the “one-bag plus one personal-type item” limit:

-----A child restraint device for a child who has been ticketed, who has a seat reserved, or for which complimentary, available space exists.

-----Assistive/mobility devices for individuals with a disability. There is no limit to the number of assistive/mobility devices a Customer can bring onboard the aircraft.

-----Outer garments or other wearable articles of clothing.

-----Food for consumption during flight contained in disposable packaging.

-----Walking canes or umbrellas.

Can someone please explain to me why airfare has in many cases doubled or even tripled in price, but they still are charging all of the different fees. I can understand airlines wanting to increase revenue but it now seems like they are gouging. I don't know where this will end, but flying is becoming so ridiculous that I'm rethinking future vacation plans.

Can someone please explain to me why airfare has in many cases doubled or even tripled in price, but they still are charging all of the different fees. I can understand airlines wanting to increase revenue but it now seems like they are gouging. I don't know where this will end, but flying is becoming so ridiculous that I'm rethinking future vacation plans.

gas_prices.jpg

Ok the good, the bad, and the ugly...

Good -

1) frequent service to their destinations

2) largely friendly staff and clean aircraft

3) leather seats are a bit more comfortable than most other domestic carriers

4) no extra charges for bags or fuel

5) lack of hubs makes for fewer overall delays overall in their flights

Bad -

1) single class of service (if you wanted to fly first class)

2) need to understand how to check in online in advance to avoid a poor seat

3) lack of reserved seats (not really a big deal unless you are way down in the boarding list)

4) frequent flyer program doesn't allow international travel

5) no meals on board (many domestic airlines will sell food in coach, Continental still serves food on some flights for free)

Ugly -

Nothing from my perspective.

One thing that you should realize is that the fares on Southwest aren't really any cheaper than other carriers - especially for trips planned far in advance. It used to be that they were always less expensive for last minute mid-week trips but even this price advantage is largely gone. What Southwest really sells is frequent, consistent service for short and medium haul trips.

Southwest is either an airline that you love or that you detest .. there doesn't seem to be much middle ground .. so yes take it ALL with a grain of salt. It isn't completely bad and it isn't perfect. Just do your comarisons and decide for yourself . To answer one of your questions .. so far .. "Fees don't Fly on Southwest"

If you think the price of gasoline is high, well, jet fuel is even higher. The airlines are just not smacking us in the face with the total cost in our air fare, but burying it elsewhere. I just try to avoid the fees by sitting in the "non-extra charge" seats, and going on SWA whenever I can, and just taking the extra fees as the price I have to pay to have fun.

I'm also booking cruises in advance from the West Coast where I live, or using my frequent flyer credit card with SWA and getting some free domestic flights to other ports of departure. I only have one cruise where I have to buy non-SWA airfare, and I'm sweating that one!!

Southwest is either an airline that you love or that you detest .. there doesn't seem to be much middle ground .. so yes take it ALL with a grain of salt. It isn't completely bad and it isn't perfect. Just do your comarisons and decide for yourself . To answer one of your questions .. so far .. "Fees don't Fly on Southwest"

Hi Kathy:) ....I think there are many folks with that same

philosophy about many of the airlines, not just Southwest.

Personally, I have always been very happy with SW:D

Hi Kathy:) ....I think there are many folks with that same

philosophy about many of the airlines, not just Southwest.

Personally, I have always been very happy with SW:D

Hi Lois .. my comparisons normally lead me to southwest too .. but it is very convenient in my area. I can see the points of people who don't have the same accessability to it that I do but I am glad I do.

I will be taking my first flight as well as first cruise in December. I called Southwest and drilled them because I didn't know anything. My sister went to Orlando so after I saw them off, I went to the Southwest counter because I had misread a sign they had. The man looked at me and said didn't you call a couple of weeks ago with umphteenth questions? LOL I was so shocked that he remembered me (as if I should have been). I just wanted to be sure about my luggage weight because I bought a Kenneth Cole luggage set (at a steal). I want to take the rolling garment bag and wanted to make sure it didn't break the baggage rules. I didn't know what a carryon was considered either. Now I do. My 29" is gigantic and weights like 16 lbs already. Southwest is all around better for baggage. They allow you to check 2 bags as well as 2 carryons. They do have a weight limit of 50 lbs, but if you go over, I think it's like $25. That's not bad compared to Delta.

Anyway, right now from my area, SW doesn't have too many incoming and outgoing flights. I will be booking the end of July, so hopefully by then they'll have more flights, as I called today and they are adding flights to fill up the FLL area. If not, I may end up flying Delta.

Erica

If you think the price of gasoline is high, well, jet fuel is even higher.

Actually, they are very similar in price as jet fuel does not have the additional mark-up for highway fees that gasoline typically has.

Good -

1) frequent service to their destinations

2) largely friendly staff and clean aircraft

3) leather seats are a bit more comfortable than most other domestic carriers

4) no extra charges for bags or fuel

5) lack of hubs makes for fewer overall delays overall in their flights

Bad -

1) single class of service (if you wanted to fly first class)

3) lack of reserved seats (not really a big deal unless you are way down in the boarding list)

4) frequent flyer program doesn't allow international travel

5) no meals on board (many domestic airlines will sell food in coach, Continental still serves food on some flights for free)

Ugly -

Nothing from my perspective.

One thing that you should realize is that the fares on Southwest aren't really any cheaper than other carriers - especially for trips planned far in advance. It used to be that they were always less expensive for last minute mid-week trips but even this price advantage is largely gone. What Southwest really sells is frequent, consistent service for short and medium haul trips.

More good:

1) If after booking your flight they come out with a lower fare for your flights, you can get a credit for use on future flights,

2) They do not charge a fee to makechanges to your reservations. Yes, if you change dates and the fares you originally paid aren't available on your new dates you have to pay the higher fare, but there is NO FEE to make a change,

3) If you make a reservation and then, within 24 hours of making the reservation, decide to cancel, they will issue a full refund.

More bad:

1) They do not interline with other carriers - meaning if you have cancellations/problems they do not work with other carriers to get you on their flights.

I just wanted everyone to know that Southwest is offering the $29 one way fares. If you book 21 days in advance to certain cities, you get the great air fare. You can still take 2 checked pieces of luggage as well. I booked the 3 of us for $200 to New Orleans in August for our cruise there. That is roundtrip. Just wanted to pass this good savings along to anyone who might want to take advantage of it.

I'd be anxiously awaiting the fares for December, since I flew with them for the first time in May and got great RT non-stop RDU-MCO for $306 total for 2 people.

We're sailing from Jacksonville, and the fares are acceptable times more than that per person for the dates I need. :(

Oh well. That's why I booked the cruises I did this year. I can drive to Jax in 7 hours.

But who knows. Maybe another miracle will happen like it did last time. I have Ding installed on my home computer.

I'd be anxiously awaiting the fares for December, since I flew with them for the first time in May and got great RT non-stop RDU-MCO for $306 total for 2 people.

We're sailing from Jacksonville, and the fares are acceptable times more than that per person for the dates I need. :(

Oh well. That's why I booked the cruises I did this year. I can drive to Jax in 7 hours.

But who knows. Maybe another miracle will happen like it did last time. I have Ding installed on my home computer.

Hi,:) the fares for December opened last week. Through

January 9th, 2009.

Yes, sorry. My other post was a bit muddled. I did check fares to Jax in December when they came out last week, as I was hoping to find a wonderful price as I did last minute (well, 3 weeks) for our May cruise.

Prices shown are more per person than the total was back in May, and they aren't nonstop. So I'll just keep my eyes on the sales and Dings and maybe something great will suddenly appear.

But I had no problem with SW at all (other than all the screaming kids, and that happens flying in and out of Orlando).

I flew SWA many many years ago before we could book online. What is the deal with checking in online to get a good seat? I looked at the FAQ on the website and did not see anything on that. Can you take a seat assignment when you book your air. Being near Houston, we expect to start using SWA more for our CONUS flights.

Regards

RonC

Can you take a seat assignment when you book your air.

SW does not pre-assign seats. You choose your seat once you've boarded the plane. The order the plane is boarded is determined by when you check in. So someone that checks in 24 hours before the flight is going to have more choices of where to sit on the plane than someone who checks in 1 hour before the flight.

Archived