OBC for Stock Ownership?

Gonzo - usually we are in total agreement. I'm just curious about this statement. On the surface it does not seem logical. That would mean a $20 increase in the price of oil would lead to $2.20 decrease in earnings. Is this correct?

Yes, I meant $10 change, not $1 change. You are correct.

Doh, my memory is failing me! I just looked up the article that discussed how the price of oil impacts the earnings per share. Here is a link to the article:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/royal-caribbean-cruises-ltd-announces/story.aspx?guid=%7B167D9A77-2BE8-4DDB-B940-392ADE3D2C40%7D&dist=hppr

Here is an excerpt:

"The company also estimated that at current oil prices, its fuel expense for 2009 would be approximately $890 million net of existing hedges and that a $10 change in the WTI price would change the expense by $59 million or $0.28 per share."

So it is 0.28 cent loss/gain in 2009 earnings for every $10 the price of oil goes up/down. And they do reference the WTI price, so I am correct that they are speaking about the price of a barrel per oil rather than specifically referencing bunker fuel. If oil stays at or near $120 for the next few weeks they may actually post a very nice third quarter this year. I still personally feel oil will trend up rather than down over the next few years though, but that is my opinion and an opinion that I hope is wrong. As can be seen from the link I posted above, I have been right in stating that RCL's earnings (and therefore stock price) are extremely dependent on the price of oil.

Of course Don will still find a way to attack me. :rolleyes:

Well, that's one to look at it - however, I would think that purchasing the stock would actually be more attractive as the majority of shareholders would

increase in numbers and the amount of shares purchased. How would that be

a bad thing for RCCL ?? There is probably a very small percentage that actually use the benefit and only RCCL knows exactly what profits they are making. If a cruise line can give away $ 500 in OBC for items that are overpriced anyway (bar drinks, spa treatments, photos, shore excursions) - there must be a HUGE profit in it for them (RCCL).

Well, that's one to look at it - however, I would think that purchasing the stock would actually be more attractive as the majority of shareholders would

increase in numbers and the amount of shares purchased. How would that be

a bad thing for RCCL ?? There is probably a very small percentage that actually use the benefit and only RCCL knows exactly what profits they are making. If a cruise line can give away $ 500 in OBC for items that are overpriced anyway (bar drinks, spa treatments, photos, shore excursions) - there must be a HUGE profit in it for them (RCCL).

I am not sure what you are saying; especially the first couple of sentences. If you mean that people buying RCL stock is good for RCL because it increases the number of shares, that is not true. Every time someone buys RCL stock, someone else is selling that same number of shares (as with any other stock; the number of shares stays constant unless the company buys back some of their stock or releases more stock). Perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying though?

Also, it is public information how much profit RCL is making; as a publicly traded company they release earnings reports every quarter (three months) which detail their exact profit for the just completed quarter as well as estimates for upcoming quarters.

Sometimes it makes me shake my head at what passes for informative discussion here. Especially when I read one of my points taken out of context and without any apparent understanding of the concepts of the market. :rolleyes:

For those of you who are confused by things they read on these never ending stock threads, please educate yourself with a source beyond this forum! :eek: A lot of colleges and community college offer economics classes at reasonable rates. An understanding of economics will help you in all aspects of your life.

jc

quick q

If I were to purchase 100 shares

I would get 200 obc for my 10night cruise

but what If I booked 2 rooms (same cruise)

do I just get 200 obc only for me or do I get obc for both rooms?

If you and your spouse each own 100 shares and you book two rooms with the rooms one with you and a child and another with the spouse and a child I believe you would get OBC on each cabin. However, please read the FAQ page at RCI and verify. I only own 100 shares (actually my wife does).

jc

Hi all, I have not seen this information here.

I would like to purchase RCCL stock, but, where can I purchase it for the least amount of money. (service fees)

My financial stuff is carried at a place that charges $60 for each stock purchase.

I am thinking of buying RCCL and Carnival (which offers OBC on their other lines as well).

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Marianne

There are several online brokers that have low transaction fees. E-trade, Charles Schwab and others. I have no clue which is the cheapest or best.

The wife and I each own over 100 shares of CCL and RCI. So, we get OBC pretty much whichever we book.:D

jc

More support for my opinion that investing in cruise stocks is basically making a bet that oil is going to go down:

From CNBC: "Joseph Greff, analyst at JP Morgan told investors that performance of cruise stocks would depend on oil prices."

"The [cruise] stocks have traded more on the direction of crude than any operating or earnings fundamental performance. And we expect that to continue,” said Greff. “We’ve seen crude come down for the last month and stocks have moved accordingly.”

See:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/26075535/site/14081545?__source=yahoo%7Cheadline%7Cquote%7Ctext%7C&par=yahoo

Well, both stocks have increased in value since last month when I first thought about buying them. RCL more than Carnival.

About $1,000. more for both.

I think I will keep an eye on them.

It seems that Charles Schwab charges $12.95 per stock purchase. Not too bad.

Hi all, I have not seen this information here.

I would like to purchase RCCL stock, but, where can I purchase it for the least amount of money. (service fees)

My financial stuff is carried at a place that charges $60 for each stock purchase.

I am thinking of buying RCCL and Carnival (which offers OBC on their other lines as well).

Suggestions?

Marianne

We used an online agency Scottrade about a month ago. They charged us $7.00 for the 100 share purchase

I always get my opinions from TV too. It is such a great tool for investment strategies. Of course, with CNBC it is almost still a secret with their Nielson numbers. Which makes it even more powerful.:D :rolleyes:

jc

I always get my opinions from TV too. It is such a great tool for investment strategies. Of course, with CNBC it is almost still a secret with their Nielson numbers. Which makes it even more powerful.:D :rolleyes:

jc

I knew there was a reason you were the only Cruise Critic member on my ignore list. I made the mistake on clicking "view post" and of course there you were trying to insult me again and twist what I said out of context.

I did not say I got my opinions from the article I linked. To the contrary I have been saying for months now (dating back to when RCL was trading near the mid 40s) that high oil was going to seriouslty mar their profits and send the stock much lower. Your buddy Don keeps making snide remarks about how oil is not the key factor in RCL's stock price. As usual he disappears as soon as I show him objective evidence supporting my stance (i.e. RCL themself stating in their discussion of their quarterly report that for every $10 change in the price of a barrel per oil there will be a 28 cent change in their '09 earnings per share). The release for the CNBC article today (which is based on a respected JP Morgan analyst, not based on CNBC's own view points) also supports my previously formed opinion.

Well, go ahead and attack me as much as you like. I will never again make the mistake of temporarily disabling the ignore feature and being exposed to one of your asinine comments.

I wondered how you saw this! Thanks for illuminating that mystery.

I didn't think my comments were asinine. I thought they were extremely funny.

Humor, you might try to add it to your life. The best humor is when you can laugh at yourself. Or you can just continue to play Don Quixote trying to rescue all the fair damsels from their own stock decisions.

jc

I knew there was a reason you were the only Cruise Critic member on my ignore list. I made the mistake on clicking "view post" and of course there you were trying to insult me again and twist what I said out of context.

I did not say I got my opinions from the article I linked. To the contrary I have been saying for months now (dating back to when RCL was trading near the mid 40s) that high oil was going to seriouslty mar their profits and send the stock much lower. Your buddy Don keeps making snide remarks about how oil is not the key factor in RCL's stock price. As usual he disappears as soon as I show him objective evidence supporting my stance (i.e. RCL themself stating in their discussion of their quarterly report that for every $10 change in the price of a barrel per oil there will be a 28 cent change in their '09 earnings per share). The release for the CNBC article today (which is based on a respected JP Morgan analyst, not based on CNBC's own view points) also supports my previously formed opinion.

Well, go ahead and attack me as much as you like. I will never again make the mistake of temporarily disabling the ignore feature and being exposed to one of your asinine comments.

Yes, I would rather disappear then comment every time you refer to the past and "$40.00 a share"and go on and on and on about the price of oil and advising people only to make their decisions based this price. Your supporting your stance and Iam supporting mine by having bought the stock in-spite of your expert opinion.

Wow, lighten up guys. There are those of us who appreciate all the information we can get from those that know more, and we all have to decide for ourselves anyway.

In the middle of July RCL stock was about $21 and change, today $27 and change. Carnival, I think was about $32 and change (?), now it is $37. and change, I could be off a little, but, it does seem that oil prices dropped and the stock went up. Hind site you know, wish I bought then. LOL

I am hoping it will drop some before my trip. I have till early January to purchase (the trip is 1/31/09) and get my credit.

Any ideas which month might be better? Will it just depend on oil??

These questions are informational only and no one is accountable but me.

Thank you. this is a great site and I have learned much about many things. Still learning and getting ideas from everyone. Giving some suggestions myself where I can.

Marianne

Wow, lighten up guys. There are those of us who appreciate all the information we can get from those that know more, and we all have to decide for ourselves anyway.

In the middle of July RCL stock was about $21 and change, today $27 and change. Carnival, I think was about $32 and change (?), now it is $37. and change, I could be off a little, but, it does seem that oil prices dropped and the stock went up. Hind site you know, wish I bought then. LOL

I am hoping it will drop some before my trip. I have till early January to purchase (the trip is 1/31/09) and get my credit.

Any ideas which month might be better? Will it just depend on oil??

These questions are informational only and no one is accountable but me.

Thank you. this is a great site and I have learned much about many things. Still learning and getting ideas from everyone. Giving some suggestions myself where I can.

Marianne

It is ok Marianne, you are just an innocent bystander. Gonzo lives in your neighborhood. :D

As far as when to buy, well you would have to be smarter than me to know that which is the source of Gonzo's ire. He seems to know these things, and he is smarter than most that are in this market, so maybe he will guide you. ;) My advice is unless you cruise a lot that buying stock just to get OBC isn't necessarily the best financial plan in the world. However, it is my opinion that buying RCI stock or CCL stock is probably better in the short run than buying Freddie Mac! That is the beauty of the stock market, we all get to place our bets and we play the game as long as we can stand the inevitable changes in stock price. If you do buy the stocks it is a nice little perk. For example on my last cruise I got a $200 OBC and on my next cruise I already have a $200 OBC applied to my account. That is better than a sharp stick in the eye.

To our member from Scotland, I believe anyone can buy stock. I do own some stock in a Canadian Company that has done very very well for me over the last 25 years, and I am still kicking myself when I didn't buy a whole lot more of it when I made the initial investment. The only downside for this is at tax time, as it is a bit more complicated to file my taxes. With the price of the dollar... the stock will seem almost free to you! :D Of course, the OBC will, also seem to be tiny to you! :D

jc

It is ok Marianne, you are just an innocent bystander. Gonzo lives in your neighborhood. :D

As far as when to buy, well you would have to be smarter than me to know that which is the source of Gonzo's ire. He seems to know these things, and he is smarter than most that are in this market, so maybe he will guide you. ;) My advice is unless you cruise a lot that buying stock just to get OBC isn't necessarily the best financial plan in the world. However, it is my opinion that buying RCI stock or CCL stock is probably better in the short run than buying Freddie Mac! That is the beauty of the stock market, we all get to place our bets and we play the game as long as we can stand the inevitable changes in stock price. If you do buy the stocks it is a nice little perk. For example on my last cruise I got a $200 OBC and on my next cruise I already have a $200 OBC applied to my account. That is better than a sharp stick in the eye.

To our member from Scotland, I believe anyone can buy stock. I do own some stock in a Canadian Company that has done very very well for me over the last 25 years, and I am still kicking myself when I didn't buy a whole lot more of it when I made the initial investment. The only downside for this is at tax time, as it is a bit more complicated to file my taxes. With the price of the dollar... the stock will seem almost free to you! :D Of course, the OBC will, also seem to be tiny to you! :D

jc

Keep making sense JC and there will be two people who will put you on Ignore.

Archived