Walking about deck

Chloebags

Odd question maybe, but (since being a newbie, it makes sense) is it advisable to wear flat shoes on deck and just keep any heels for the formal/elegant night?

I have a few sandles but they all have a slight heel .5", or should I just stick with flat sandles/flipflops, and pumps?

We will be in the Caribbean so full shoes I dont think are any real option

I travel light - 1 pair of walking/running shoes, 1 pair of dress shoes, and 1 pair of water shoes (Teva's). This will cover all your basic needs. I don't wear heels on deck. Flip flops or sandals are fine, but I prefer Teva's because they go in the water, they are great for any rough surfaces that you might encounter, and they stay on your feet during an active water adventure.

around the pool, something that won't slide, protects your feet from the hot surface and be able to move quickly to avoid someone just standing in your way. i don't like flip-flops, just in case i need to use the stairs.

same way with heels, we use the stairs whenever possible...heels don't work. be comfortable!!

if the ship hits any waves the motion is fun, walking down the halls with heels would be more fun. i love watching ladies, in heels, swaying back and forth trying to keep their balance:D some can do it, some can't.

We found the area around the pool hard to navigate, especially if the waves were at all large, because there is nothing to hang onto and the ship may be rocking from side to side and often, especially in the morning, the decks are wet from just being washed down.

In fact Im bringing a cane for my sister who has balance issues and this area is especially hard for her because you cant get to the hand rails (there are chairs every few feet along the outside of the deck).

Unless the ship is really rocking, wear whatever you're comfortable in! During the day, for me, it's flip-flops around the pool! (The deck gets REALLY HOT, so something on your feet is a must!) I usually wear flip-flops even off the ship, unless we're doing some kind of active excursion.

If you function in heels at home, feel free to wear them on board. I have been known to take mine off to walk up & down open riser stairs if the ship is rocking, but normally it's very stable. If you feel the need for a little support, that's what DH/SO is for. :D

One of our favorite past times is watching the ladies trying to walk in heels on formal nights on the ship! I gave up trying to look good and just wear flats when I am on the ship (hopefully no one notices during formal night) and if they do I don't care--much better than ending up sprawled out in a dress--not a pretty picture; and one that you will see if the waves are high on formal night! I figure if I can't make it in heels on dry land what chance do I have on a ship :p Wear what is comfortable and don't worry about how you look! Have a great time!

You should wear whatever you want to on your feet. The decks are not slippery so you don't need to worry about that. I wear my sandals with heels all the time and have never had a problem. :cool:

Hello,

Respectfully disagree that decks are not slippery. At times they can be slippery so you should wear some type of non skid shoes if you like to go for long walks on ships. This is based on my 24 cruises including two transatlantics, the most recent of which was in April of 2008 on the Emerald Princess.

Fred

Another thing to think about besides feet: hair. If you go up on the highest deck on the front of the ship, you should be prepared for wind. Especially when you first pull out of port. Many people race up there to get the best pictures of leaving port. It can be very windy. Also, there are times during your trip when your ship may make a graceful turn. When this happens, it's windier than ever.

Aww now, don't scare the OP... A ship is really just like land except it moves.. As for walking out on deck, just use common sense,., If it is wet, it more than likely might be slippery.. If the seas are rough, yeah the deck seems to "move" a little.. However when you are on a 1000+ foot long ship that is 100+ feet wide the movement is minimal...

Common sense is the key..

Safe and happy cruising....

Yes, the decks "can" be wet in the evenings (they do hose them down) or early mornings. They are quite slippery then.

If I'm out walking on formal night and I see a wet deck, I just turn around and avoid it. I'm not going to wear some hideous walking shoes on formal night!

I refuse to live my life trying to be "practical!" If I end up on my can, it's my own fault! :p

Flip flops can also be extremely slick on wet decks around the pools during the day.

I've been on some ships when the movement wasn't "minimal" and people were walking in an "s" line because everyone was going from one side of the walkway to the other. It didn't matter what shoes you were wearing. Of course, I wear heels every day. Don't particularly enjoy them, but I do dress for dinner on cruises and I do wear strappy sandals most evenings.

If the seas are really rough, they'll close the upper, outside decks anyway.

Hello,

Respectfully disagree that decks are not slippery. At times they can be slippery so you should wear some type of non skid shoes if you like to go for long walks on ships. This is based on my 24 cruises including two transatlantics, the most recent of which was in April of 2008 on the Emerald Princess.

Fred

I agree, Fred. They wash down the decks daily on most ships, and the decks are always slippery when wet. And sometimes when they're dry. I'm about the biggest klutz around, so I wouldn't think of wearing heels.

What would you wear on land during the day?

DON

Depends on what we have planned. If there's going to be a lot of walking, I usually wear tennis shoes or sandals. No new shoes on cruises.

But I always have LOTS of bandaids with me because even broken-in shoes can cause blisters.

I am happy in heels and flats, so I think I shall take my heels for formal/elegant night and flip flops for the deck, and then some trainers for land.

So I am covered for everything.

Thank you so much for all your advice

That's funny that someone said it's never slippery on the deck. I agree with Fred and another person that it does get slippery when it's raining, being washed, pool area or some other "nature" thing. I'd wear anything that's comfortable and deck appropriate! I've seen several men/women slip and fall carrying there trays/food on dry decking regardless of shoes/high heels/sandals/etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
We found the area around the pool hard to navigate, especially if the waves were at all large, because there is nothing to hang onto and the ship may be rocking from side to side and often, especially in the morning, the decks are wet from just being washed down.

In fact Im bringing a cane for my sister who has balance issues and this area is especially hard for her because you cant get to the hand rails (there are chairs every few feet along the outside of the deck).

A little off topic, but if you are buying a new cane, get one that folds up for her. It makes using it easier, as you can tuck it away when not in use.

Archived