Wearing 2x for less luggage

mickey001

Ladies,

For the first time I am considering wearing a dress more that once at dinner to save on lugage. I know a lot of people wear skirts/pants more than once and just switch tops but I've got tons of sundresses and have not desire to shop for more cruise clothes.

Is anyone else taking such "drastic" :eek: measures to avoid extra luggage charges?

Ladies,

For the first time I am considering wearing a dress more that once at dinner to save on lugage. I know a lot of people wear skirts/pants more than once and just switch tops but I've got tons of sundresses and have not desire to shop for more cruise clothes.

Is anyone else taking such "drastic" :eek: measures to avoid extra luggage charges?

Not to avoid luggage fees but because we're taking a two-day tour prior to our cruise, there are six of us, we all over-pack, and our tour guide/driver could have a heart attack trying to fit it all in the van! So we're all attempting to cut back on what we bring. The ironic thing is this will be my longest cruise! My mother-in-law was just lamenting 'having to wear something twice' yesterday. Heh.

Robin

I wear the same long black skirt, which is very lightweight, and different sparkly tops (also lightweight). Because I don't really think anybody cares what I'm wearing as long as I'm groomed and don't smell bad.

I almost always wear shorts more than once, unless I'm in them all day long! I'll slip a pair on for breakfast, change into a swimsuit and stay in that until time to get ready for dinner! Those shorts are fine for another day (or two!)

Especially if you can change the look of an outfit with different shoes, jewelry, or tops, why not wear a couple of times! They aren't "dirty", unless you are a dribbler! And I can guarantee that NO ONE will even notice!

I have absolutely done this. On our last cruise we had 3 formal nights. I took 2 dresses and our intention was to skip the third formal night, but we were invited to the Captain's Table, so I wore one of my dresses twice.

My DH didn't mind that I was wearing it twice, after all, he wears a tux and looks virtually the same on all formal nights. :D

One thing to note - that dress really fit the first formal night, and by night 11 of the cruise it was a tad tight. Next time I'll take something that will allow for more room to grow!:p

I recycle most of my clothes on a cruise. Shorts get worn 2 or 3 times each and if I only wear an outfit to dinner and then change i'll wear it again another night as it hasn't been on long enough to get dirty ;) Gotta save on packing where you can :) But I don't recycle knickers LOL! :D

I definitely wear things twice to dinner - I'm just not in those clothes for too long. Between dinner and the evening entertainment, I probably am only in them for 4 hours.

Things don't get dirty just wearing them for a few hours on the ship, but to keep everything fresh I take a box of dryer sheets with me and keep them in the drawers and closets. Then clothes always smell clean.

three formal nights on Legend cruise a year ago ... wore the same dress each night, same shoes, two sets of slightly different accessories (wrap, jewelry)

two formal nights on Serenade Jan 2008 ... wore the same dress each night, same shoes, same wrap, same jewelry

No one cared ... and I certainly wouldn't have cared if they had!!

In fact, for each cruise I brought one pair of shoes that I could wear with the formal outfit as well as the other nights in the MDR, a mix of casual & smart casual

I've worn a dress twice. The dress was washed before the trip, I take showers before dinner, only wear it a few hours, don't go to the gym and work up a sweat in it :eek: , or hang out in smoky areas, so the dress is in pretty good shape for an encore.

A few years ago, I found Chicos. I brought the velvet slacks and tank and wear it to each formal night. One night I wear a velvet jacket over it, the other two, different scarves - same shoes each time. As the years go by, I bring less and less, and we don't even have to fly to get to the pier.

Another idea not mentioned yet: Self laundry! When my DH and I were on the Carnival Fascination last year we chose to do our own laundry(located on the Upper Deck) This saved us bringing so much luggage and from taking home a bag of dirty laundry.

Hi! I'm a plus size woman and have no problem wearing an item twice!

On my ten day cruise, I packed three pair of shorts,one pair of capri and tour t-shirts for my casualwear. I had a pair of black slacks that I wore more than once with different tops. I used the laundry bag offer to have my items wash.

Also, most of the people on the ship you will never see again so it don't make a difference in someone seeing you in it again

I am about to embark on a 65-day cruise and you can bet that I will be wearing a lot of clothing waaay more than once. I will, of course, launder what can be laundered and try really hard not to spill on anything that needs dry cleaning. I agree with all the posters who said that noone really notices what I'm wearing and if they do I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

I have to get all my "stuff" into two suitcases (of course the airline requires that I pay $25.00 for the second suitcase) so I have to make sure that neither suitcase weighs more than 50 lbs. Oh the joys of travel nowadays, and thank God for separates that mix and match!:D

Valerie:)

Yes, I wear the same outfit to dinner 2 or 3 times, just dress it up slightly with different accessories & jewelry. This is especially good if it's a neutral colour. I have a taupey-bronzey coloured dress that I can accessorize with silver, gold, red and navy items.

For our upcoming 7-day in October, I'm going to wear the same cocktail dress for both formal nights, and am taking 2 smart casual dresses which I'll wear 2 times each. That takes care of 6 nights - the other night I'll play by ear. We may end up in the Lido, have room service (have never stayed in for dinner), or I recall the first cruise we went on had some sort of a BBQ @ the pool for dinner one night.

Hopefully reading everyone's responses has let you know that most people do wear things twice - unless you're my sister. But at $25 a bag on the airplane, she'll learn or go broke :rolleyes:

A few years ago, I found Chicos. I brought the velvet slacks and tank and wear it to each formal night. One night I wear a velvet jacket over it, the other two, different scarves - same shoes each time. As the years go by, I bring less and less, and we don't even have to fly to get to the pier.

Chico's is the cruiser's best friend :)

Hope those of us who bring more than one outfit for dinner

can still post on here;)

I have never had a problem with packing and wear a different

outfit each night.

I do bring quite a few "traveler's" knits....lots of companies

sell it now. Chico's was probably the original but many places

sell the same material now.

It does take up virtually no space that is for sure.:)

I am going to Alaska in 2 weeks:D and even on that cruise

I will be bringing on checked bag and 1 carry on and

will be wearing a different outfit each evening.

"Hopefully reading everyone's responses has let you know that most people do wear things twice - unless you're my sister."

Hi, I am not your sister;) but I respectfully disagree with your

assessment.

I enjoy wearing a different outfit each night and have never

exceeded the luggage limit:)

Lois R,

What was to "disagree" with regarding my comment? I was not making an "assessment" - just making a statement that my sister does wear things only once while I wear things multiple times. Not saying one is right and the another is wrong. Just making a statement. No judgement.

What I DID do was make reference to the majority of posters on this thread that indicated they also wear things multiple times, indicating the OP wouldn't be the only one doing that.

Bottom line - everyone should do whatever works and is comfortable for them. Why would I care whether someone chose to change clothes 10 times a day or wear the same thing for several days? None of my business. Sorry you chose to read something into my response that was unintended.

Another "outfit per day" person here. I HAVE TO have a different look for each day---and night. And, what's the fun of cruising if you can't shop for clothes beforehand?

I DO try to limit my shoes though--so that I only take 1-2 pairs for the evening.

CeleBrat

Lois R,

What was to "disagree" with regarding my comment? I was not making an "assessment" - just making a statement that my sister does wear things only once while I wear things multiple times. Not saying one is right and the another is wrong. Just making a statement. No judgement.

What I DID do was make reference to the majority of posters on this thread that indicated they also wear things multiple times, indicating the OP wouldn't be the only one doing that.

Bottom line - everyone should do whatever works and is comfortable for them. Why would I care whether someone chose to change clothes 10 times a day or wear the same thing for several days? None of my business. Sorry you chose to read something into my response that was unintended.

Sometimes the internet is funky:eek: ....you cannot read tone

on here.....you said "most people wear things twice"...I was

trying to be respectful with disagreeing with that statement

is all...not trying to cause hard feelings.:)

You are correct, we all have to do what is best for each of us.:)

Archived