2for1 cruises and free air - is anybody buying this?

Paulchili

..If RCI can offer a 14 night Azamara cruise on the same basic ship or Princess can do the same on its old R ships for a particular price, Oceania should be able to match it...They don't...I was giving them the benefit of the doubt.

JMHO

I think RCCL & Carnival Corp can offer more competitive rates because they can pull resources from some of the other lines that make a profit.

Also more buying power in the consumables so lower rates.

Oceania is still a small company by comparison.

Maybe I am delusional in my thinking:eek:

Agreed, and it is speculative on my part, BUT I'd certainly hope they were leveraging their combined purchasing power in some fashion and including entities beyond their cruise line holdings in order to capitalize on some synergies - of course that doesn't necessarily translate to a reduction to the consumer.

I suspect their pricing isn't based on cost +, more likely perceived value (again just my guess) and yield management.

Part of what I find curious about the cruise industry is the apparent lack of meaningful loyalty programs (I have limited exposure to this so perhaps I've missed some that do have such a program) relative to say airlines or hotels (thinking Air Canada and Starwood for example).

As to the economies of scale, what Apollo owns under it's Prestige subsidiary is Oceania, Regent and a 50% share in Norwegian, other than NCL America... still dwarfed compared to the cruise holdings of Carnival or RCI...

Agreed, and it is speculative on my part, BUT I'd certainly hope they were leveraging their combined purchasing power in some fashion and including entities beyond their cruise line holdings in order to capitalize on some synergies - of course that doesn't necessarily translate to a reduction to the consumer.

I suspect their pricing isn't based on cost +, more likely perceived value (again just my guess) and yield management.

Part of what I find curious about the cruise industry is the apparent lack of meaningful loyalty programs (I have limited exposure to this so perhaps I've missed some that do have such a program) relative to say airlines or hotels (thinking Air Canada and Starwood for example).

Princess has an excellent loyalty program as well as 3 ships that are the same size as Oceanas current fleet. Loyalty should pay off the consumer.

Apollo is a holding/investment group, not a cruise corporation like RCL and Carnival. At some point, they will sell their cruise lines for a profit. At least that's the idea---it may not work out that way. In any event, a cruise line that is in a position to raise prices is more attractive to potential buyers than one that has been forced to lower them or resort to discounting. I think this may partially explain O's higher pricing at a time when many of us (logically) believe competition and a faltering world economy would call for lower fares.

SilverSea has a decent loyalty program (Venetian Society). Additional 5 % off on many cruises and good discounts on consecutive cruises, as their itineraries tend to be short (which no one else gives ASAIK)

Princess gives you free internet (?250 minutes) after so many days of cruising with them - with 2 people that gives you 500 minutes; not bad.

Princess has an excellent loyalty program as well as 3 ships that are the same size as Oceanas current fleet. Loyalty should pay off the consumer.

Any Princess passenger booking a "future cruise deposit" while on board a Princess sailing will get a reduced deposit ($100 per person) plus on board credit for the next cruise. In addition to the 250 minutes free internet per person for Platinum level (after 5th cruise); there are early booking discounts; pay for the "standard insurance" (which is offered at half price during early booking) with a free upgrade to Platinum insurance. Elite level passengers get free laundry and dry cleaning in addition to the Platinum benefits; free wine tasting and other perks.

As to the OP - I also find the silly 2 for 1 stuff pointless. The recent email about it expiring on Aug 31st I thought had to be a joke since that's their standard pricing so what exactly was expiring on Aug 31st? O's promo emails hit the delete folder pretty quickly these days as they are of no value.

We are very bottom line conscious. But there was a real value to us in this promo, and that is adding our home town as a gateway at no extra cost. Being in a secondary air market, who knows if this will be an option next year or next month, with the price of jet fuel. It got us to put down $$, after we penciled out the likely cost for us to fly vs. the O air.

Fair point, unfortunately since we are located in a primary air gateway it had no value to us whatsoever.

We are very bottom line conscious. But there was a real value to us in this promo, and that is adding our home town as a gateway at no extra cost. Being in a secondary air market, who knows if this will be an option next year or next month, with the price of jet fuel. It got us to put down $$, after we penciled out the likely cost for us to fly vs. the O air.

The lack of loyalty program is a definite downer--Regent has a decent one; I get free internet, phone calls and some laundry thrown in. On Oceania, a loyalty program could provide free non-alcoholic drinks, for example.

Regent also refers to its (mostly European) included air as "Air Inclusive", not free, although it actually IS free in this case, since they pay the taxes (not fuel supplements.)

As for the 2-fers, Regent does this too, but it's only on a few cruises--all cruises are discounted from list price, but some only 20 or 30%, some 40%, occasionally 60%. Of course, the original per diems get set up accordingly in advance, so it's all a wash. But we often choose the 2-fers because they are, in fact, usually a good value. These are all considered "early booking specials".

I've always thought that the consistent 50% off was a joke. Although it does allow them to jack the rate up for late bookings.

We are considering the Whispering Anquity cruise on Regatta next October. What other cruise lines should we compare to? We enjoyed our O cruise to St. Petersburg - did our own touring or hired a guide. Only thing that annoyed us was paying for cokes!!!

Thanks.

We are considering the Whispering Anquity cruise on Regatta next October. What other cruise lines should we compare to? We enjoyed our O cruise to St. Petersburg - did our own touring or hired a guide. Only thing that annoyed us was paying for cokes!!!

Thanks.

There is a thread on Oceania forum about comparing other cruise lines with O.

You may want to read through it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=820740

You might have a look at Regent then ..it is all-inclusive

http://www.rssc.com/voyage/

We had priced out Oceania vs. Regent before going on our recent Medit. cruise. We decided that we couldn't possibly drink the equivalent of $10,000 USD to make up the price difference on a 14 day cruise between O and RSSC. If only Oceania would do a pop card like NCL and others do....

. If only Oceania would do a pop card like NCL and others do....

I agree we could not possibly drink enough to warrant the extra fare for regent but it is a personal choice.

I just pay the price or bring some on board.

It is not a big deal to us!

Subject: Only 4 Days Left | Promotions End 8/31/08 on Select Sailings

08_0828_header_top.jpg

Promotions end August 31, 2008 on select 2008-2009 Winter Collection and 2009 European Collection sailings. The opportunity is now to offer your clients Free Airfare and up to 2 for 1 Cruise Fares on the sailings below!

Promotions Changing from 2 for 1 Cruise Fares to

Early Booking Savings with Free Airfare!

Voyage

Days

Embark/Disembark

Sail Date

Islands in the Sun

Miami to Miami

Passage to Panama

Miami to Los Angeles

Samba Rhythms

Rio de Janeiro to Buenos Aires

Caribbean Pearls

Miami to Miami

South American Splendors

Rio de Janeiro to Valparaiso

South American Splendors

Valparaiso to Rio de Janeiro

Spring Sojourn

Venice to Stockholm

Radiant Legacies

Athens to Venice

Scenic Splendors & Gilded Palaces

Rome to Stockholm

Ancient Meanderings

Venice to Rome

Scandinavian Splendors

Stockholm to London

Scandinavian Splendors

London to Stockholm

Pearls of the Riviera

Rome to Barcelona

Roman Revelations

Barcelona to Istanbul

Scandinavian Splendors

Stockholm to London

Black Sea Serenade

Istanbul to Athens

Scandinavian Splendors

London to Stockholm

Scandinavian Splendors

Stockholm to London

Roman Revelations

Barcelona to Istanbul

Scandinavian Splendors

London to Stockholm

Black Sea Serenade

Athens to Istanbul

Scandinavian Splendors

Stockholm to London

Ionian Inspiration

Rome to Venice

Whispers of Antiquity

Istanbul to Venice

Ionian Inspiration

Rome to Venice

Radiant Legacies

Venice to Athens

Journey to the New World

Barcelona to Miami

Promotions Changing from 2 for 1 Cruise Fares to

40% off Cruise Fares with Free Airfare!

Passage to Panama

Los Angeles to Miami

Samba Rhythms

Buenos Aires to Rio de Janeiro

Vikings, Castles and Kings

London to London

European Mosaic

London to Rome

Roman Revelations

Istanbul to Barcelona

Call Oceania Cruises at 800-531-5619.

Visit us at http://Agent.OceaniaCruises.com.

Offer expires August 31, 2008. Fares listed are cruise only in U.S. dollars, per person, based on double occupancy and include Non-Commissionable Fares. Fares do not include Government Fees and Taxes, and Cruise Ship Fuel Surcharge. All fares and offers are subject to availability, may not be combinable with other offers, are capacity controlled and may be withdrawn at any time without prior notice. 2 for 1 fares are based on published Full Brochure Fares; all fares are cruise only, and do not include Prepaid Charges, Optional Facilities and Services Fees, and personal charges, as defined in the Terms and Conditions of the Guest Ticket Contract which may be viewed at http://www.OceaniaCruises.com. Full Brochure Fares may not have resulted in actual sales in all cabin categories and may not have been in effect during the last 90 days. Promotional fares may remain in effect after the expiration date. Air promotion applies to economy, round-trip flights only from select Oceania Cruises U.S. & Canadian gateways and does not include ground transfers, air taxes and air fuel surcharges. Air ticketing fee will apply. Free Airfare is available only from the following Oceania Cruises Primary Air Gateways: ATL, BOS, ORD, DFW, DEN, IAH, LAX, MIA, JFK, EWR, MCO, PHL, PHX, SAN, SFO, SEA, TPA, YYZ, YVR, IAD. Airfare is available from all other U.S. & Canadian gateways at an additional charge. Oceania Cruises reserves the right to correct errors or omissions and to change any and all fares, fees, and surcharges at any time. The Cruise Ship Fuel Surcharge is additional revenue to Oceania Cruises. Additional terms and conditions may apply. Complete terms and conditions may be found in the Guest Ticket Contract. Ships’ Registry: Marshall Islands.

This email was sent by: Oceania Cruises

8300 NW 33rd Street, Suite 308 Doral, FL, 33122, USA

080416_header_bottom.jpg

PRICES

INCREASE

9/1/08!

I, for one, am buying this! Despite how something is worded or advertised, the bottom line is getting the most for your money, and you cannot beat Oceania for that. The itineraries, the service and, most of all, the food, are the best value at sea. Anyone who has enjoyed an afternoon tea or a world-class Italian dinner at Toscana on an Oceania ship can vouch for that. The 2 for 1 prices, or whatever you want to call them, represent fantastic value. Despite the weak economy they can increase their prices and still fill their ships, this is a testament to what a fantastic product they offer. So, if you are contemplating taking an Oceania cruise in 2009, I would book now. These "2 for 1" prices do expire, so I would take advantage of them while they are available.

I doubt that, with its ever increasing prices, I would think that Oceania is getting less and less price competitive. It does have good food, itinerary and service, but its continued hefty increases in pricing more than compensate for all that, especially for the future. It is our impression that over the last five years, the average per diem price of most other cruise lines increased by 5 - 6% per year compounded, while Oceania's increased by 11% per year compounded. We understand that as a new cruise line, Oceania has to adjust its initial "price leader" upwards to make good profits, but they may be overdoing it, only time can tell. Thinking about a parable of the golden chicken laying golden eggs, it appears that the owners/management of Oceania is looking more and more at the chicken than its eggs! Again, I hope I am wrong, only time will tell !

Quote from bupkus 34

"Despite how something is worded or advertised, the bottom line is getting the most for your money, and you cannot beat Oceania for that. The itineraries, the service and, most of all, the food, are the best value at sea."

They might have been once upon a time but no more.

I will quote another member from O board from a similar thread - CruiseJunky I hope you don't mind if I use your quote:

August 22nd, 2008, 07:28 PM

image.php?u=56592&dateline=1204150538Cruise Junky user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_15950246", true);

Blue Ribbon Cruiser

icon1.gif

I agree that all cruise lines have their gimmicks. However, having said that, we were anxiously awaiting the pricing and itinerary for the 09 Singapore to Sydney cruise. At their Early Bird booking the price per person is $8199 per person and we all know to add taxes, fuel surcharge etc. on that. We really wanted to cruise Oceania!!! Regent is offering a very similar cruise for $8,500 per person, which includes air, all suites and is all inclusive. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to do that math. All this for a 17 or 18 day cruise. We have instead booked Princess...gasp, I know. Sydney to LA, 30 days in a cabin with a huge balcony for $11,000 for two including air. So instead of Singapore and Indonesia, I get New Zealand, Tahiti, Samoa and Hawaii, not that bad of a trade off.

Note that the Oceania price is for a B2 cabin and Regent is a suite (not even close there). I love Oceania, but few people would argue with me if I said that Regent is a step above in personal service, luxury, etc; and don't forget that for about the same price Regent includes ALL drinks (that can be potentially a VERY LARGE bar tab for 18 days).

Also, not to mention that Princess' cruise is for 30 days and only $ 11,000 for 2 people with air. Princess may not be quite up to Oceania, but is not very far behind at all.

Do you still believe that O gives us "the best value at sea"?

I don't - not any more....

These are just 2 examples; if you read through these threads there are similar comparisons with SilverSea, among others, where O is definitely not "the best deal at sea".

Posted by bupkus34 last page:

I, for one, am buying this! Despite how something is worded or advertised, the bottom line is getting the most for your money, and you cannot beat Oceania for that. The itineraries, the service and, most of all, the food, are the best value at sea. Anyone who has enjoyed an afternoon tea or a world-class Italian dinner at Toscana on an Oceania ship can vouch for that. The 2 for 1 prices, or whatever you want to call them, represent fantastic value. Despite the weak economy they can increase their prices and still fill their ships, this is a testament to what a fantastic product they offer. So, if you are contemplating taking an Oceania cruise in 2009, I would book now. These "2 for 1" prices do expire, so I would take advantage of them while they are available.

Whether those voyages with further increased pricing will sell or not remain to be seen. We don't know, only time will tell. Despite the fact that Oceania has two new large ships coming (more than doubling its capacity), it appears not to be in the "expand market share" mode but rather "reap profit while you can" mode. Perhaps its owners/management have good reason (which they will not let us know) for doing this. Since they are very capable businessmen (as shown by what they could do before), there likely is some plan for all this which only time will reveal.

[ I agree that all cruise lines have their gimmicks. However, having said that, we were anxiously awaiting the pricing and itinerary for the 09 Singapore to Sydney cruise. At their Early Bird booking the price per person is $8199 per person and we all know to add taxes, fuel surcharge etc. on that. We really wanted to cruise Oceania!!! Regent is offering a very similar cruise for $8,500 per person, which includes air, all suites and is all inclusive. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to do that math. All this for a 17 or 18 day cruise. We have instead booked Princess...gasp, I know. Sydney to LA, 30 days in a cabin with a huge balcony for $11,000 for two including air. So instead of Singapore and Indonesia, I get New Zealand, Tahiti, Samoa and Hawaii, not that bad of a trade off.

Note that the Oceania price is for a B2 cabin and Regent is a suite (not even close there). I love Oceania, but few people would argue with me if I said that Regent is a step above in personal service, luxury, etc; and don't forget that for about the same price Regent includes ALL drinks (that can be potentially a VERY LARGE bar tab for 18 days).

Also, not to mention that Princess' cruise is for 30 days and only $ 11,000 for 2 people with air. Princess may not be quite up to Oceania, but is not very far behind at all.

Do you still believe that O gives us "the best value at sea"?

I don't - not any more....

These are just 2 examples; if you read through these threads there are similar comparisons with SilverSea, among others, where O is definitely not "the best deal at sea".

For what it is worth, friends who have been on Regent and Crystal frequently were on the Star Princess in February and said that they would sail Princess again in a heartbeat based on the price point and mini-suite category cabin.

No, we don't even know who Paulchili is. We haven't spoken except in this Oceania column starting just a few days ago!

P.S. Judging from his postings, he (presumably with a name Paul) makes very good sense thougth!

I was re-reading the post.

Yes, my name is Paul; and thanks for the compliment, meow!

You too, Leonid.

I Book through a big TA with good pricing and also check with cruise compete to get other quotes. We want a particular itinerary that O has and no other cruise line offers. I priced the cruise with and without air. The discount without the air amounted to the air tax, fuel chg. and other fees you would pay anyway for air. I also priced airfare to Barcelona and back from Istanbul and got a big shock. Oceania's air inclusive price is definitely a good deal especially if you want a particular itinerary.

A couple of years ago, we thought we would try Princess on a So. Am. cruise because we could get a top of the line balcony cabin for a decent price. It was the worst cruise we have ever been on in terms of service and food. After that experience, I decided taking a lesser cabin on Oceania or Crystal was a far better choice. We haven't tried Silverseas or Regent, but certainly may at some point. We have not been happy with Royal Carib. or Celebrity in terms of food either. We found Oceania's food to be okay to good at times, but not great. Maybe we are too picky or just spoiled by Crystal's outstanding food.

Happy Cruzer said it so well! It is all about "marketing techniques"!!

Mostly all lines, both cruise and air, do some sort of "selling" plans designed simply to attract your attention and hopefully your business. I have been following the many, many posts from those who seem to feel that there is something "Fishy" and "Unsavory" about advertisements that offer some sort of incentive to the traveler.

Whether it be 50% Off, Free Air, Included Gratuities, or whatever the advertiser offers, it is simply a way to attract your booking. Nothing More!!

I think we all might be happier if posters, both new and old, were a little less negative about "Marketing" and concentrated more on the positive side of enjoyable cruising. Who knows, if this is kept up, some of these cruise lines might revert their advertising to infomercials hosted by the "Squeaky-voiced" Billy May - like those of Oxy-Clean and other such products. Can you imagine him yelling out..... "BUT WAIT!! If you book within the next 12 minutes, you'll receive a free massage from the Captain for only $19.95!!"

:D

Archived