2for1 cruises and free air - is anybody buying this?

Paulchili

Quote:

Whether it be 50% Off, Free Air, Included Gratuities, or whatever the advertiser offers, it is simply a way to attract your booking. Nothing More!!

I strongly disagree with you - it is more!! I understand it is an advertising gimmick but when you say something is FREE and it is NOT FREE (as we all know) it is deceitful at best, an untruth, a lie, false advertising, illegal, etc

As I have said before, call it "Air inclusive" price. But "Free Air" is a flat out lie and that crosses a line for me.

Have we have become so desensitized that we don't even care or notice when they lie to us - we just write it off as advertising?

Sad state of affairs.

I hit the mute button every time that Billly May comes on the tube, and would not patronize any cruise line that used him for a spokesman.

He is obnoxious as the pusher of art on Nautica, Tiny Tim.

I was just on the Nautica but must've missed 'Tiny Tim'. I'm assuming you're referring to the Art representative. I didn't have any exposure to the whole art auction thing aside from seeing some of the art on the walls in the Martini's Lounge. Thank God it was subtle, I hate that up-selling.

I was just on the Nautica but must've missed 'Tiny Tim'. I'm assuming you're referring to the Art representative. I didn't have any exposure to the whole art auction thing aside from seeing some of the art on the walls in the Martini's Lounge. Thank God it was subtle, I hate that up-selling.

They do move around from ship to ship

We had him on our Regatta cruise in Feb

They do move around from ship to ship

We had him on our Regatta cruise in Feb

Rats!!! I had hoped he had been hijacked by pirates. We will be on the Regatta in November, and if I have to put up with his constant loud announcements again, I may begin replying to them, only twice as loud!!

I had hoped that due to the negative news appearing recently about his employer, Park West, the contract between them and Regent and Oceania would be quickly cancelled. However, it does appear that the case against Park West is now going to wind its way through the courts - slowly.....

I need a laugh. Will someone please fill me in on Tiny Tim?

I'll do my best....

He calls himself "Tiny Tim" and we have run into him on two cruises so far. He is the "Art" Auctioneer employed by Park West which is a concession. Throughout each cruise, this person (who is a rather large and loud man wearing suspenders) bursts onto the scene several time a day using the public announcement system turned all the way up to "10"!!!

He will implore everyone to come to his "auction" to be held somewhere and that he will supply "free" champagne. His "Art" is cluttered around the ship, interfering with passage in the walkways. I, and others, have characterized the "Art" he displays as products of some "Paint-By-The-Numbers" school in a third world country. The champagne he offers is undoubtedly thimblefuls of some cheap brand imported from China....

His desk is unfortunately directly across from the string quartet on Deck Five and his loud conversations intrude on anyone's enjoyment of music.

Anything else you'd like to know?

Rats!!! I had hoped he had been hijacked by pirates. We will be on the Regatta in November, and if I have to put up with his constant loud announcements again, I may begin replying to them, only twice as loud!!

:D:D:D:D

Paulchili,

My apologies. For what it's worth, I'm in agreement with you on the topic of this thread.

Ricky 88,

Good grief! I meant to go to the auction (with all those cancellations, I had nothing better to do), but slept through it. Were there any other interesting 'characters?'

Princess may not be quite up to Oceania, but is not very far behind at all.

Really? I think Princess has a terrible product. The ships are smoky, and you can't even have a smoke-free cabin or a smoke-free balcony. That right there is a MAJOR difference.

Plus, the nickel-and-diming that begins upon boarding is annoying and does not stop throughout the cruise.

I had thought Oceania would be a better product. No???

While the smoking makes a difference, the nickel and diming is the same on both.

Really? Does Oceania sell a "soda cup"? If so, do they have employees stationed throughout the ship on the first day to sell them? Do they run throughout hawking their wares or these cups, especially on the first day?

Really? Does Oceania sell a "soda cup"? If so, do they have employees stationed throughout the ship on the first day to sell them? Do they run throughout hawking their wares or these cups, especially on the first day?

No soda cups & if you want soda it comes in cans at the hefty price of $2.50 + 18%

I never found they "hawk their wares" anywhere on the ship ... the server will ask you if you want a drink if you don't they have a little signal so no one asks you again, then they move on. No photographers holding up the line to get off/on the ship or when you have your fork full of food snapping your pic.

It depends on your idea of nickel & diming...yes you pay for alcoholic drinks, sodas, excursions, personal items but no one forces you to buy them

If you do not want to sign for drinks etc try Regent,

Really? I think Princess has a terrible product. The ships are smoky, and you can't even have a smoke-free cabin or a smoke-free balcony. That right there is a MAJOR difference.

Plus, the nickel-and-diming that begins upon boarding is annoying and does not stop throughout the cruise.

I had thought Oceania would be a better product. No???

As the poster who chose Princess over Oceania, I should probably respond to this. In all my cruises with Princess I have never encountered a smokey cabin and I HATE the smell of smoke. However, in saying that, my husband smokes, so the ability for him to smoke on our balcony is a plus. As for the nickle and diming, what do I get free on Oceania that I have to pay for on Princess? I don't mean that to be accusing, I'm just not sure what is covered on the fare that isn't on Princess other than specialty dining. I know my fuel supplement is going to be a lot more on Oceania as it's A: lower on Princess and B: there's a cap.

Hawking the Soda containers I've only seen on day one on the ship and just walk right by or politely say no thanks. Never been a big deal.

As the poster who chose Princess over Oceania, I should probably respond to this. In all my cruises with Princess I have never encountered a smokey cabin and I HATE the smell of smoke. However, in saying that, my husband smokes, so the ability for him to smoke on our balcony is a plus.

It may be a plus for you, but I doubt that it is a plus for the neighbors you have on adjoining balconies who are non-smokers bothered by your husband's smoke.

While we have encountered smoky cabins before, I will admit that none were on Princess. Our rooms always smelled fresh on that line. Luck? A non-smoker before us? Likely, since most people do not smoke.

Actually, balcony smoke bothers us much more, since there is no remedy for it.

We no longer cruise Princess because of the smoke on balconies and the smokiness in some public areas that forces us to leave. There are so many other options that are better than Princess.

It may be a plus for you, but I doubt that it is a plus for the neighbors you have on adjoining balconies who are non-smokers bothered by your husband's smoke.

While we have encountered smoky cabins before, I will admit that none were on Princess. Our rooms always smelled fresh on that line. Luck? A non-smoker before us? Likely, since most people do not smoke.

Actually, balcony smoke bothers us much more, since there is no remedy for it.

We no longer cruise Princess because of the smoke on balconies and the smokiness in some public areas that forces us to leave. There are so many other options that are better than Princess.

You obviously have issues with the smoking rules on Princess so of course, Oceania is a better choice for you, but that doesn't make them a better product for everyone, as for the hawking of a soda bottle, wow, I don't let the 20 seconds to politely say no thank you get to me that much to ruin anything. I'm sure I'd be pissed for a lot longer having to pay the ridiculous shore excursion prices and fuel supplements on Oceania.

Anyway, to each his own, we all have preferences and deal breakers. As much as I hate smoke, I book a line that will allow it on the balcony for my husbands enjoyment. he's not a chain smoker and if someone's cruise is going to be ruined by someone doing what they are allowed to do on their balcony, then it should be they that are looking for an alternative cruise line.

As much as I enjoy Oceania, their marketing 2-for-1 fares drives me a lttle nuts. Have never found a bargain with this campaign. We always use miles to upgrade so the fares with air don't apply to us anyway.

As for smoking, I give high praise to Oceania's strict no-smoking policy. They were one of the first. A year ago we had a balcony cabin on Celebrity and our neighbors spent considerable time out on their balcony smoking which rendered ours unusable. Celebrity will be essentially non-smoking starting in October. Yeah! MSC is also instituting a 90% non-smoking policy. I am hoping that Crystal will also think about changing their smoking policy.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm new to Cruise Critic, and have enjoyed the education here on the forums.

My wife and I are booked (early, for the discount) on an Oceania Mediterranean cruise for next summer, our first on O. I looks like a great product, but even with the 2 for 1 and air credit, its still a lot of money. I'm hoping for some additional incentives such as prepaid gratutities or free sodas and water. What are the chances do you think, and would they be given to already booked passengers? Also, won't they at some point drop the 2 for 1 and air credit? Also, our air credit was only $705pp, so I was surprised to see some folks talking about larger amounts.

Homeatlast - congratulations on your booking and I hope your cruise meets your expectations.

To answer your question on what added incentives you might expect - let's just say that there is no such thing as "free sodas and water" or "prepaid gratuities" Such items are never "Free" and have to be paid for, one way or another.

When Oceania first started up, they did so with the pledge that they would offer a "Premium" cruise experience, but never claimed to be a "Luxury" cruise line. The Luxury lines DO offer "included" gratuities and "included" wines and drinks. But, since nothing in the world is "Free", the cost of these "included" amenities are part of the initial cruise fare, which is much higher than Oceania.

One has to make a decision as to whether they want a higher fare, and have everything "included" or opt for a line not as Luxury as the others, and pay for the additionals as they go along......

I'm new to Cruise Critic, and have enjoyed the education here on the forums.

I'm hoping for some additional incentives such as prepaid gratutities or free sodas and water. What are the chances do you think, and would they be given to already booked passengers? Also, won't they at some point drop the 2 for 1 and air credit? Also, our air credit was only $705pp, so I was surprised to see some folks talking about larger amounts.

Welcome to Cruise critic & Oceania

If you find the right TA you may get free gratuities but alas no free soda or water.

You will also get the air taxes removed from your invoice when you take the air credit... maybe is where you see the larger $$ amounts mentioned

yes the 2 for 1 do disappear closer to sailing and may only be 40% off or less.

Enjoy your cruise

Lyn

Lht, re prepaid gratutities, would I ask the TA to watch out for closer to cruise time, or is that something i should have done at time of booking?

If your TA did not offer them at the time you could ask if they do that or next time shop around

Archived