Switch or Cancel T/A bookings?

AVAD

I have a question for those of you who might be more experienced than me. I booked a RCCL cruise to Europe next Spring with a new online T/A. I'd done my homework and knew the price was the same with the cruiseline site and other sites, so I went with this T/A for a $100 shipboard credit. I booked a oceanview that was OK, then talked my sister into joining us. She called the same T/A, booked the cheapest guarantee category interior and got the oceanview cabin beside mine. Now she is paying $600 less for the same cabin. I'm happy for her 5 catetgory upgrade.

I called the T/A and asked if I could try it--switch my booking to the guarantee inside and see what happens--if I didn't get a good cabin, I'd pay the difference and go back to the category I've got. The T/A wouldn't do it--said RCCL wouldn't let me cancel and rebook since I've already booked. She said I would get an interior cabin for sure. Does that make sense? I know you can upgrade, why not downgrade. The balance isn't due until January and I thought you could do whatever until then.

I'm a little upset with the T/A although I know it isn't her fault--the guarantee cabins are assigned through RCCL, but if it worked for my sister, I'd like to try it and use the $600 for other things on the cruise. I've never done guarantee before and maybe I'd get lucky too.

Should I just suck it up or what would you do?

Thanks

Ava :confused:

You should be able to cancel your booking and rebook.

The cruise line will not charge you a cancellation fee if you do this before final payment is due. However, the TA may impose a charge for any change. I just did this for other reasons and was charged a cancellation fee by the TA. I found that the cancellation fee charged by TA's run from 0 to $100 per cabin.

I think I would look for another TA, if not this time, for future cruises.

tonyt

That's the key. If you rebook you might not get the upgrade and should the cabin category you have now be sold out then that could be a problem.

If it was me and I was happy with my cabin location I would just not worry about it. If on the other hand you don't mind taking a risk then change it.

Keith

I have a question for those of you who might be more experienced than me. I booked a RCCL cruise to Europe next Spring with a new online T/A. I'd done my homework and knew the price was the same with the cruiseline site and other sites, so I went with this T/A for a $100 shipboard credit. I booked a oceanview that was OK, then talked my sister into joining us. She called the same T/A, booked the cheapest guarantee category interior and got the oceanview cabin beside mine. Now she is paying $600 less for the same cabin. I'm happy for her 5 catetgory upgrade.

I called the T/A and asked if I could try it--switch my booking to the guarantee inside and see what happens--if I didn't get a good cabin, I'd pay the difference and go back to the category I've got. The T/A wouldn't do it--said RCCL wouldn't let me cancel and rebook since I've already booked. She said I would get an interior cabin for sure. Does that make sense? I know you can upgrade, why not downgrade. The balance isn't due until January and I thought you could do whatever until then.

I'm a little upset with the T/A although I know it isn't her fault--the guarantee cabins are assigned through RCCL, but if it worked for my sister, I'd like to try it and use the $600 for other things on the cruise. I've never done guarantee before and maybe I'd get lucky too.

Should I just suck it up or what would you do?

Thanks

Ava :confused:

The TA was correct. She would have to cancel your current booking and try to rebook. The price could change, the category could be sold out, the special no longer available.

You, of course, have plenty of time to cancel your current reservation and try booking with another agent, taking the chance that you'll not get what you want or even get what you currently have.

Prices and deals change all the time....sometimes daily. You could make yourself crazy trying to keep up.

Im thinking the reason your sister got assigned the OV near you was because your bookings were tied together, so she benefitted from your booking?

Find out the cancel fee and then decide if you want to cancel and rebook or not. You may or may not be able to upgrade at the price you paid, it could change, but also could go down.

I am wondering how your sister booked a inside guarantee for next January and already got assigned a cabin?? How did she do that?? Id like to learn that trick. My guarantees dont get assigned until after final payment.

Something here doesn't make sense. I've booked guarantees before and they've never, ever given me a cabin assignment until at the very most, 30 days before the cruise. If the sister did book an actual guarantee cabin, they don't assign them at the time of booking. That's why they have guarantees, so they have the ability to put people where they want at the last minute.

Does your sister actually have a booking invoice/receipt from the TA that states that she has an interior guarantee cabin booking?

If not, I wonder if the T.A. just got her a deal better for your category.

I would agree that it seems really strange to get a five level upgrade, so early.

Maybe someone was just trying to be really nice to you and your sister and thought it would be special for you to booked so close together.

Archived