Roll Call - Christmas Markets 2008 - all lines, all dates

AZPam

Congtulations Trish!! I bet you can really feel like this adventure is close now!

DW is all packed and her suitcase weighs in at 40lbs--she done good!

I started packing today, and am about 90% done.

Looking at the forecasts, it is going to be cold and it sounds like there will be snow in Prague when we arrive!

But, that's what we expected.

I also went to our local currency exchange today and got some Euros, enough to get us started in Nuremberg.

I want to try some that mustard, too!!! :)

I've been watching the weather reports for Switzerland and they have had snow in the prediction for a few days now! I am sooooo excited. Can you please order up enough snow and cold weather to last until we get there? ;)

Hey, as far as I´m concerned the snow can stay where it belongs to - the mountains!! I don´t need that stuff here in the city:eek:!

So far it´s raining in Munich with heavy gusts of wind. But the news reported snow in Northern Bavaria this morning.

We're finally DOC DANCING!!!! :D :D

Congrats, Trish! Dancing or bouncing ;)?

steamboats

Got my docs yesterday. Uniworld sent a second set after TA unexpectedly went out of business.

Leaving Sunday and still haven't started packing. Guess that means we travel too much.

Looking forward to arriving in Munich Monday morning. Also looking forward to seeing some snow - not too much but enough to make Christmas Market shopping interesting. We don't get much snow in SE Virginia.

Only 7 more days for us and we'll be at the airport waiting for our flights to Nuremburg.:)

I see I'm not the only one who loves mustard. This year Germany may experince an increase in mustard sales, lol, after we visit. :p

We have enough snow here this morning, woke up this morning to about 18 inches or more..and it's still snowing.

I wouldn't mind having some flurries while shopping but no more than that.

Have a nice weekend everyone!!

You are still not packing, Fred??? :eek: I am mostly packed with 7 days to go! Just have to throw in a few blouses that I don't want too wrinkled. Now I can start with the "beauty" prep. I have a facial and hair color scheduled today. Helps me relax after all the packing! At least that's what I tell my DH! ;) I'll be decorating the house on Monday-Tuesday, cooking Wednesday with the entire family here on Thursday and off we go on Friday! I can't believe I leave a week from today. I'm so excited I can hardly sit still anymore. :D

No snow around here. Supposed to be 81 for a high today! I hate to wish snow on you cold weather dwellers, but for us desert rats, it's such a novelty, I'd really like to have a bit on this trip. Peg, I would think with 18 inches of snow it must at least be really pretty!

No snow around here. Supposed to be 81 for a high today! I hate to wish snow on you cold weather dwellers, but for us desert rats, it's such a novelty, I'd really like to have a bit on this trip. Peg, I would think with 18 inches of snow it must at least be really pretty!

Here is our deck this morning. It used to look pretty to me. :rolleyes:

Snowbound010.jpg

Here is our deck this morning. It used to look pretty to me. :rolleyes:

Snowbound010.jpg

OMG! That is just beautiful! At least to me :D I'm sure it wouldn't be quite so nice if I was the one to have to get out there and shovel it or it still looked like that in March. That I am sure gets old. I am assuming you must live in the northeast somewhere? Close to a lake? :)

OMG! That is just beautiful! At least to me :D I'm sure it wouldn't be quite so nice if I was the one to have to get out there and shovel it or it still looked like that in March. That I am sure gets old. I am assuming you must live in the northeast somewhere? Close to a lake? :)

We actually 'live' in a little township just north of Pittsburgh, PA. However, I am at our lake house in Pymatuning Lake. We love it here so much that I will stay here with the dogs for weeks.

Here is DH Tom and one of our babies (Asta) when we got home from shopping last night. The snow fell so fast and heavy. This was at about 11pm last night.

Snowbound007.jpg

I haven't spent much time in PA, so not familar with where you are at, but sure is pretty! I've never experienced snow fall like that before, so it's pretty neat to me. Thanks for sharing your pics! Love your baby Asta. Looks like she must be wearing a sweater. Does she have snow boots too? :D

Off for my facial and day of beauty! Woo hoo!

Looking forward to arriving in Munich Monday morning. Also looking forward to seeing some snow - not too much but enough to make Christmas Market shopping interesting. We don't get much snow in SE Virginia.

Fred111,

I´m sorry to disappoint you. I have seen snowflakes this afternoon but it was a mix of snow and rain. So far no snow!! But it seems like the rest of Germany is covered with the white stuff.

Maybe another disappoinment for Fred, but our Christmas markets won´t start until next Saturday (Nov 29). But there are still plenty of opportunities to spend your money on Christmas stuff. All departement stores are already decorated and do have their Christmas sections set up.

steamboats

Congrats, Trish! Dancing or bouncing ;)?

steamboats

Both!! :D

I can't believe I leave a week from today. I'm so excited I can hardly sit still anymore. :D

Me either!! And I'm not even half packed. I have a feeling that on Wednesday and Thursday evenings, we will be doing several loads of laundry. We have both lost so much weight since January that we are wearing the few clothes we own that fit. We need to buy DH a couple of shirts this weekend. I told him that I won't be seen with him in the super big shirts. :rolleyes:

Love the pictures of the snow, but that is close enough for me. I love to watch it snow the few times a year that it happens here, but poor hubby has to shovel a very long driveway. Then we have to be careful as we slip and slide down to the street.

Last year I purchased those things that you put on shoes to give some traction. Think I'll toss those in the suitcase just in case there is snow on the trip.

Steamboats, We figure we'll do the "touristy" stuff the first few days in Munich. Trips to Garmish, the castles, etc. What do you recommend for going up the Zugspitz? The cable car or the train? I've done the cable car already but my wife hasn't been there yet.

Finally thinking about packing.

Steamboats, We figure we'll do the "touristy" stuff the first few days in Munich. Trips to Garmish, the castles, etc. What do you recommend for going up the Zugspitz? The cable car or the train? I've done the cable car already but my wife hasn't been there yet.

Finally thinking about packing.

Good boy, Fred :D! We´re leaving on Dec 21 for the Norwegian Jade and I won´t be packing until Dec 20.

Do you have a rental car? In case you don´t have one check with

http://www.stadtrundfahrten-muenchen.de/eng/index.html

I can highly recommend them for the city sightseeing (narrated tour). The only day trip they are offering during wintertime is Neuschwanstein and Linderhof castle.

Zugspitze: I have to admit that I´ve been on the Zugspitze only once and for skiing. I´ve asked DH and he said - with no rental car - it´ll be easier to take the train to Garmisch. The train up to the mountain is leaving from the train station. The cable car is located at Greinau and you need a rental car or take a cab from the train station at Garmisch. The cable car is faster. The train more scenic.

http://www.zugspitze.de/main_en.php

As for now I won´t make any plans regarding the Zugspitze. Decide depending on the weather.

steamboats

I just shoveled 6 inches of "lake effect" out the driveway this morning. We've always known that snow would need to fall before we could do our next cruise ... so it was a "right of passage" before we could sail again. But, this Christmas Markets thread is intriguing me with the possibility of taking one of these winter trips in the future. Keep reporting everyone!!!!

I ordered some trotter blasts shoes also... They look really warm. My concern is... will the sole be slippery if we have frozen, icy snow? Don't want to fall on my "@#$*! while shopping. If you wouldn't mind, let me know your opinion of the possibility of slipping on snow, because of lack of traction. Thank you.

Please, all you people that are going to the Christmas Markets before me... leave some mustard and ornaments for us! :) :)!

Peg, your porch, balcony is beautiful. The puppy is darling and Tom looks good! Hope you have a wonderful time and be sure and email us your review. Stay warm! Enjoy shopping!

Did I mis-understand? Are Bob and Karen going with you? Have a great time with them. Although we have only had dinner with them a few times... the cruises we had planned together never materialized, I bet they are fun on a cruise. Take care

I bought the large ones where you use the vacuum to get all the air out!

They work wonderfully well --- just wish they would lighten the weight as well as the space. All those huge wool sweathers go down to nothing. I just hope the cabin stewart lets me use his vacuum when we are returning -- or I will be in trouble!

Hotsy

Jane , Your enthusiasm is contageous!!! Thanks it just what I needed. I have had my head buried in the Message boards for the Mediterranian trip I booked for January (the price was too good, we were going in March, so we moved it up )and am I ever overwhelmed with all the decisions on this really Port intensive trip . I am glad I peeked in to this roll call to remember SHOPPING and Food and Drink and not many decisions at all. I need to start thinking about packing I guess . We leave on the 4th for the Neuremberg Viking trip Dec 7th. Thanks for the pick me up . I hope we get a little snow on our trip The weather has been hot in L.A I am ready for some cooler temps.

Hi Kris -

Glad to help you build some enthusiasm for your trip - your river cruise is starting the same day mine does.

I'm definitely ready for some colder weather after the endless summer we've had here in LA this year. I'm definitely ready for some snow too!

Enjoy both your cruises.

Jane

I ordered some trotter blasts shoes also... They look really warm. My concern is... will the sole be slippery if we have frozen, icy snow? Don't want to fall on my "@#$*! while shopping. If you wouldn't mind, let me know your opinion of the possibility of slipping on snow, because of lack of traction. Thank you.

Hi catkoe1 -

The soles look like they'll give us plenty of traction. I relied on user reviews when choosing the Trotter's Blast boots and many had used them in the snow and ice and were happy - so I'm hoping the soles really do have traction for the icy stuff! I added insoles to mine and they're even more comfy now and feel good. Wish I could reassure you about not slipping, but it's an unknown factor for me too.

I made the mistake of bringing some Uggs (well loved but a bit worn) to North Dakota's snow and the sole wasn't up to snow and ice there and I slipped in them. Heck, sometimes the soles aren't up to rain here in LA!

We'll soon find out how our Trotters work.

Jane

I bought the large ones where you use the vacuum to get all the air out!

They work wonderfully well --- just wish they would lighten the weight as well as the space. All those huge wool sweathers go down to nothing. I just hope the cabin stewart lets me use his vacuum when we are returning -- or I will be in trouble!

Hotsy

Do these bags leave everything real wrinkled? Might have to get one for my sweaters. I'm having issues with those and space in general. I just want to take too much and need to eliminate, but it's just soooooo hard! :cool:

It is 5:53am on Sunday morning and I just started packing!!! We leave for the airport in 6 hours. I'll be done in about an hour. Just have to double check that we have all the tickets, passports, etc. packed. If we forget anything else, we can just buy it.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I'll try to post a few times after we get to Europe.

Archived