Roll Call - Christmas Markets 2008 - all lines, all dates

AZPam

All of this waiting to hear about my DH's job (he currently works for WaMu), hoping to buy a new home, trying to get our current home "show" ready (after living here for 20 years!! :eek: ) and getting ready for the trip has finally become a bit much. I decided at about 3 AM today that I was taking a vacation day today. :rolleyes: I'm really glad that I have one to use that I don't have scheduled for our trip. :D Packing and German lessons are the order of the day!!

[quote name='KeyOfSea']All of this waiting to hear about my DH's job (he currently works for WaMu), hoping to buy a new home, trying to get our current home "show" ready (after living here for 20 years!! :eek: ) and getting ready for the trip has finally become a bit much. I decided at about 3 AM today that I was taking a vacation day today. :rolleyes: I'm really glad that I have one to use that I don't have scheduled for our trip. :D Packing and German lessons are the order of the day!![/QUOTE]

Enjoy your day off! So much of what you are going thru is totally out of your control, but so stressful. Not much you can do about it, so try not to get too crazy. What will be, will be.

Isn't it amazing on what we decide at 3am? I do the same thing! :D

For those of you going to the Christmas Markets, in Germany and Austria, or for that matter, anywhere where it will be cold, what kind of footwear are you planning on wearing? This question is for both men and women, please. We don't want our feet to get cold, and being from the sunny southwest, we would appreciate any advice. Don't plan on tromping through snow, but still want to stay warm. Thanks in advance!:)

[quote name='kkbay']For those of you going to the Christmas Markets, in Germany and Austria, or for that matter, anywhere where it will be cold, what kind of footwear are you planning on wearing? This question is for both men and women, please. We don't want our feet to get cold, and being from the sunny southwest, we would appreciate any advice. Don't plan on tromping through snow, but still want to stay warm. Thanks in advance!:)[/QUOTE]

I'm taking a couple of pairs of Sketchers. Nicer than a athletic type shoe, but has a rubber sole, so good for wet cobblestones. Both are kind of a type of ballet flat looking, so a little easier to dress up. Looks like I will also be packing my snow boots. Been watching weather.com and they have lots of snow and rain showers listed in their 10 day forcast!

[quote name='AZPam']I'm taking a couple of pairs of Sketchers. Nicer than a athletic type shoe, but has a rubber sole, so good for wet cobblestones. Both are kind of a type of ballet flat looking, so a little easier to dress up. Looks like I will also be packing my snow boots. Been watching weather.com and they have lots of snow and rain showers listed in their 10 day forcast![/quote]

[SIZE=4]Hi Pam,

Where do you go to check out the weather? I have used Wunderground but wonder if there is a easier site.

Have a great day everyone!
:) Cherie[/SIZE]

[quote name='skertso'][SIZE=4]Hi Pam,

Where do you go to check out the weather? I have used Wunderground but wonder if there is a easier site.

Have a great day everyone!
:) Cherie[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I don't know if it's any easier, but I just go to weather.com and type in the cities I want to check. They have a nice 10 day forcast that I am keeping my eye on right now. Also checking the cities we will connect in hoping that there won't be any flight delays.

[quote name='kkbay']For those of you going to the Christmas Markets, in Germany and Austria, or for that matter, anywhere where it will be cold, what kind of footwear are you planning on wearing? This question is for both men and women, please. We don't want our feet to get cold, and being from the sunny southwest, we would appreciate any advice. Don't plan on tromping through snow, but still want to stay warm. Thanks in advance!:)[/quote]

I bought some little rubber soled boots that have fur in them because I am a weather wimp coming from L.A my comfort zone is 70 to 76 degrees. I don't know if I will live in my sneekers like I do at home but I am bringing them just in case
Kris

Just received a note from friends who returned this week from a Rhine cruise. They said they must know we are all coming because they saw the market stall being built in the cities they visited. Yippee!!almost time to go just have to work our Church Christmas bazaar. celebrate our anniversary and have Thanksgiving. Pat

[IMG]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t307/skertso/DANCERS63.gif[/IMG][SIZE=4]Dave and I are doing the doc dance! Now that our documents have arrived we are really jazzed! I've started packing but need to figure out what I can do without because I have too much stuff. It seems that I always start out like that. It's all fun tho!

:)Cherie
[/SIZE]

fred111,

I´ve never been to the Hofbräuhaus except for walking through. So I can´t tell you anything about the food. For brats (which Munich definitely isn´t famous for) better go to the Bratwurstglöckl which is located next to the cathedral

[URL]http://www.bratwurst-gloeckl.de/anfahrt.html[/URL] (sorry, no English language option)

Near the Bratwurstglöckl there is also the Andechser am Dom which is featuring the great beer from the Andechs monastery

[URL]http://www.andechser-am-dom.de/[/URL]

Near Marienplatz I can also suggest Weisses Bräuhaus for the best wheat beer (and good food)

[URL]http://www.weisses-brauhaus.de/pdf/Speisekarte_en.pdf[/URL]

For the best roasted pork leg try Haxnbauer (or at least walk by the window with the rotisserie grill)

[URL]http://www.kuffler-gastronomie.de/de/muenchen/haxnbauer/index.php[/URL]

Typical Bavarian food for reasonable prices near Marienplatz: Donisl

[URL]http://www.bayerischer-donisl.de/english/donisl_eng.htm[/URL]

Best lager beer in Munich is Augustiner. They do have several restaurants too, one is in the pedestrian area

[URL]http://www.augustiner-restaurant.com/[/URL]

The sausage you should try in Munich is the Weißwurst (white sausage) with sweet mustard. The other thing you can try is Leberkäse (translated directly it would be liver cheese, but there´s no cheese and nearly no liver in it, it´s sort of a meatloaf but minced very fine). This is the typical fast food over here, Leberkäse in a roll.

steamboats

WOW!!! Steamboat thanks a lot! That is the best list of eateries in Munich I have ever seen. I have been to Munich a few times but my wife has never been in Germany. We are really looking forward to the trip. After your write up it looks like we will both gain several pounds.

We are getting our shopping list together for Christmas presents for the kids and grandkids right now.

Again, thanks a lot.

We leave in 10 days!!:)

What is everyone planning on buying? Gifts and souveniers?

Everyone I know wants a prune person. I sent them all a blurb on the prune men and I thought they would all have a chuckle and wouldn't you know it..that's what they want. Kooky!!

I'm going to have a few made special for some special friends. They don't know it though. I hope they can make what I want.

So what else looks good? Any must haves?

I know I'm buying paprika and a few pottery pieces in Hungary.

I love mustard, is there a special mustard I should get in Germany?

Woo Hoo! Cherie is doing the dance with the rest of us! I love that the river cruises still get the docs, unlike the ocean cruises. Makes it more special and exciting.

Happy Anniversary Pat!

Fred, you seem to be leaving the earliest, so have a great trip. Can't believe you aren't packing yet.

I'm going to be on a pretty limited budget this trip, so not really sure what I will be shopping for. Maybe just one or two special things that I can find. We will all have to compare notes on our return.

Hi everyone --

I can't believe that I'm leaving in 2 weeks for Vienna!!!! I did the doc dance on Monday when they showed up - whoo hoo! My suitcase & carry-on are out and I'm going to do a trial packing run soon to see how much I can (or want to) bring.

It's been so darned hot here in LA that I haven't worn my boots to break them in. Oops! I ordered about 6 different pairs online and ended up with the incredibly comfortable Trotters Blast. It was strange trying them on in late August in the heat and then the hot weather stayed and stayed and stayed. I'm actually looking forward to colder weather! However, I normally live in Birkenstocks and go bare foot so much that it's a shock to have my feet enclosed in socks and shoes...

As for what I want to buy - I know I want Hungarian paprika, small wooden ornaments, Glüwein mugs and something unique from each market. Something else I'm going to buy is "Rei in der Tube" in Germany - it's the best travel laundry product I've ever used. I discovered it 30 years ago and it's still made. My best friend has Czech heritage, so I want to find something special in Prague for her. Ah, Christmas shopping at Christmas markets in Europe - heaven!

What I don't need is any more glass ornaments - I have so many already. BUT if there's something I fall in love with, well....... we'll see. I collect flying Santa Clauses - it can be anything that gets him airborne other than the traditional sleigh and reindeer. It started 30 years ago when I bought a German ornament in Paris at the end of my big trip.

Oh yes, the most important thing to bring back - lots and lots of great photos and the memories of great fun, food and friendship!

What a fabulous thread this has been - so much great information and advice. And we're almost there! Thank you all.

Amalegro, Cabin 204 here I come!

Cheers,
Jane

I'm rather frustrated at the moment. Went to pick up my meds this am and the prescription had expired. Called the doc office and found out my doctor had retired! Didn't even send out a letter or anything! Now I have to go in to see somebody new tomorrow morning, working me in, just to get new prescriptions. Not what I wanted to do tomorrow or really have the time for. Much more important things scheduled like getting my hair cut and colored! :p

[quote name='AZPam']I'm rather frustrated at the moment. Went to pick up my meds this am and the prescription had expired. Called the doc office and found out my doctor had retired! Didn't even send out a letter or anything! Now I have to go in to see somebody new tomorrow morning, working me in, just to get new prescriptions. Not what I wanted to do tomorrow or really have the time for. Much more important things scheduled like getting my hair cut and colored! :p[/quote]

Pam, I'm so sorry! What an inconvenience. I need to get mine refilled next week because the insurance will only do it every 30 day. :rolleyes: We still don't have docs but they were sent express mail yesterday. FINALLY!! I'll let you know when we're dancing! ;)

[quote name='kkbay']For those of you going to the Christmas Markets, in Germany and Austria, or for that matter, anywhere where it will be cold, what kind of footwear are you planning on wearing? This question is for both men and women, please. We don't want our feet to get cold, and being from the sunny southwest, we would appreciate any advice. Don't plan on tromping through snow, but still want to stay warm. Thanks in advance!:)[/QUOTE]

I just ordered a pair of Ugg's from Zappos today. I love Ugg's. So getting a new pair works for me. I got the fleecy lined ones this time. I hope they fit, they usually run larger for me.

I get cold easily so now I'll be able to stay out in the cold longer and shop for prune people.:)

[quote name='KeyOfSea']Pam, I'm so sorry! What an inconvenience. I need to get mine refilled next week because the insurance will only do it every 30 day. :rolleyes: We still don't have docs but they were sent express mail yesterday. FINALLY!! I'll let you know when we're dancing! ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, mine too. Only every 30 days. I was in for my physical in May and just thought I had a years worth of refills, so this came as a total surprise. Real inconvenience too since I have to see somebody totally different. I can't believe my other doc didn't even send out a letter or something!

I guess I don't have a problem with cold feet like some of you! I have heard there are feet warmers you can stick in your shoes at the sporting goods stores. If you are real worried about it, you all might want to get some of those too.

[quote name='catkoe1']Hi there,
I am interested where you purchased you little boots with fur inside? I need some warm boots also.[/quote]

THey are called pr!vo (with an exclamation point) and I found them at Marshall marked down from 100.00 to 34.00 I love a good bargain.

[quote name='ChefPeg']We leave in 10 days!!:)

What is everyone planning on buying? Gifts and souveniers?

Everyone I know wants a prune person. I sent them all a blurb on the prune men and I thought they would all have a chuckle and wouldn't you know it..that's what they want. Kooky!!

I'm going to have a few made special for some special friends. They don't know it though. I hope they can make what I want.

So what else looks good? Any must haves?

I know I'm buying paprika and a few pottery pieces in Hungary.

I love mustard, is there a special mustard I should get in Germany?[/quote]

Hi
We found the greatest German mustard when we were in Passau. We stole about five packets from the restaurant and I'm going to try to get it here in a German Meat Store. It's called Haandlemaier's Hausmachersenf.
Those Germans sure do like long words!

We also love to shop for old wine glasses - they have gorgeous ones!
Alot of them are gilded with gold and have a large bowl or stem. We use them with dinner in the evenings and it's such a nice memory. Little difficult to pack though! I'm taking the International Fed X slips with me!

Have a wonderful trip
Hotsy

[quote name='AZPam']Yeah, mine too. Only every 30 days. I was in for my physical in May and just thought I had a years worth of refills, so this came as a total surprise. Real inconvenience too since I have to see somebody totally different. I can't believe my other doc didn't even send out a letter or something!

I guess I don't have a problem with cold feet like some of you! I have heard there are feet warmers you can stick in your shoes at the sporting goods stores. If you are real worried about it, you all might want to get some of those too.[/quote]

I found the toe warmers at Bed, Bath and Beyond so I bought a few. Then we found a large box of them at Costco and got those too. They stick on like therma care products. Now our feet will probably be sweating inside our walking boots. :rolleyes: :D

[quote name='KeyOfSea']I found the toe warmers at Bed, Bath and Beyond so I bought a few. Then we found a large box of them at Costco and got those too. They stick on like therma care products. Now our feet will probably be sweating inside our walking boots. :rolleyes: :D[/QUOTE]

Now you all have me worried my feel will be cold! Didn't have any problem last time, but you never know. Maybe I will hit BB& B and get a few "just in case". Better safe than sorry, right? :confused:

Archived