Roll Call - Christmas Markets 2008 - all lines, all dates

AZPam

Do these bags leave everything real wrinkled? Might have to get one for my sweaters. I'm having issues with those and space in general. I just want to take too much and need to eliminate, but it's just soooooo hard! :cool:

I use the Packmates because you don't need a vacuum. You roll the air out. On most things, they don't cause too many wrinkles - especially with sweaters. I couldn't go without them.

I bought some cheap bags for rolling sweaters at CVS or Walgreen's...brought three heavy sweaters and they helped save space. The sweaters were not wrinkled when I removed them...problem was, I never wore any of them. I lived in a hooded sweatshirt that I wore under my fleece coat when we were outside. So much for any fashion statement from me!

Just got back a little after midnight last night and I must say, I overpacked. ON GCT's Harmony, the lounge was either cool or hot, so the zippered sweatshirt worked for me inside and out.

Definitely bring scarves and gloves!!!! Amsterdam had hail, sleet and rain on Friday! The wind went right through you. Even Orlando is cool today...but it's the warmest day we've had in 16 days! I was the only shopping for groceries this morning in shorts!:p Felt good to me......

I bought some cheap bags for rolling sweaters at CVS or Walgreen's...brought three heavy sweaters and they helped save space. The sweaters were not wrinkled when I removed them...problem was, I never wore any of them. I lived in a hooded sweatshirt that I wore under my fleece coat when we were outside. So much for any fashion statement from me!

Just got back a little after midnight last night and I must say, I overpacked. ON GCT's Harmony, the lounge was either cool or hot, so the zippered sweatshirt worked for me inside and out.

Definitely bring scarves and gloves!!!! Amsterdam had hail, sleet and rain on Friday! The wind went right through you. Even Orlando is cool today...but it's the warmest day we've had in 16 days! I was the only shopping for groceries this morning in shorts!:p Felt good to me......

Tell us more about your trip! Did GCT treat you right? How was the food? How was your program director?

I'm delighted to see the reports of snow. We live in New Zealand where we have Christmas in summer time. I leave for Vienna next week to take the Amadeus Princess cruise on 7 Dec to Nuremberg where I meet up with DH. We're then spending 4 weeks in Germany right over Christmas and New Year and would love to see a bit of snow. I started packing yesterday and am thinking perhaps I'd better pack my boots. I'm starting to get excited even with two long-haul flights ahead of me to get there....

Hubby and I purchased some UGG boots made to be worn in snow. Have regular UGGs for indoor and drier weather, too. Also bought warm gloves and scarves. Down coats, too. We are starting to gather items but haven't really packed anything as yet. We leave on December 6 for the Viking Spirit from Nuremberg to Vienna. Hope we get just enough snow to make for beautiful photos.:)

Tell us more about your trip! Did GCT treat you right? How was the food? How was your program director?

The food was great at breakfast and lunch...so many choices. I came home about 7 pounds heavier after 14 days on the tour. Geesh. Dinner was not so great. Too fancy for me...don't care for presentation so much - just want good food. Although you could opt for a chicken breast if you didn't like the course selection, that wasn't very good either. I tended to eat bread, the soups, and the dessert, LOL. And don't ask for the optional selection of a cheeseburger for lunch!!!! They are nothing like any burger in the states...not sure what the ground meat is. We had some opportunities to skip the meals if we didn't like them and eat in town...and that food was fantastic! I could live on all the bratwurst sandwichs they serve at open air stands. Some cold nights we found restaurants in town and had a big meal...their portions are huge (hence, most of the weight gain).

The program directors were all very nice on our trip. One, Britta, was excellent..always went beyond to make it pleasant and informative for her folks. Ours was Boris, and he was good, but didn't have some of the enthusiasm that Britta had. Rudi was always smiling and a big help, too. The staff on board was excellent. The evening of the crew show, we all laughed so hard at their antics. Good people, and we spoke at length with quite a few.

I had issue with our travel arrangements being so long, when others got their directly or with one stop. We had Orlando to JFK, JFK to Heathrow and then to Vienna. Took us 22 hours to get home, when others, who lived in FL, made it in much less time - and didn't even live in Orlando.

Hopefully, I will have some time today or tomorrow to put a review all together. Some days were good, some not-so.

But I can tell you all the towns are all decorated for Christmas, and they did the ship about 4 days before we ended our trip. You will not be disappointed with the amount of shopping you will have!!!

We got our docs last week for our GCT cruise on Dec 2. They included some very flimsy luggage tags, with instructions to attach them to your luggage. Duh!

On ocean cruises we never attach the ship tags until we arrive at the departure port, since we know they would never survive the handling at our local airport. DMIL says that we should attach them here, because GCT will retrieve our luggage in Amsterdam, and that we won't see it until we get to the ship. This REALLY worries me. I would rather claim my own luggage and then take it to the bus they use to transport you to the ship. I know what my luggage looks like & how many pieces are supposed to be there. GCT does not. Please tell me that I will be able to claim my luggage.

The food was great at breakfast and lunch...so many choices. I came home about 7 pounds heavier after 14 days on the tour. Geesh. Dinner was not so great. Too fancy for me...don't care for presentation so much - just want good food. Although you could opt for a chicken breast if you didn't like the course selection, that wasn't very good either. I tended to eat bread, the soups, and the dessert, LOL. And don't ask for the optional selection of a cheeseburger for lunch!!!! They are nothing like any burger in the states...not sure what the ground meat is. We had some opportunities to skip the meals if we didn't like them and eat in town...and that food was fantastic! I could live on all the bratwurst sandwichs they serve at open air stands. Some cold nights we found restaurants in town and had a big meal...their portions are huge (hence, most of the weight gain).

Sounds like the food hasn't changed much since the last time I went. I had the same issues with the dinners. Just too fancy for me. We also ate off the boat a few nights and will plan to do so again.

Really happy to hear the shopping is going to be so great. Only wish I had more money to shop with! Darned economy! :cool:

Skyview, re the luggage tags, we didn't put ours on until we collected them when going thru customs, which I would assume you have to do too. It wasn't an issue for us at all, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just be sure to have your itinerary with all the ship info in a front pocket, just in case.

With Grand Circle you retrieve your own luggage from the carousel. After going through customs, you meet with the representative. Then you take your own luggage to the bus where the driver loads it on the bus. At the ship, the driver off-loads the luggage, and the crew delivers your luggage to your room.

Thanks for the info about luggage. I was pretty sure that's how it would work, but wanted to make sure. We always put our itinerary in each piece of luggage, and have never had to use it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we won't need it this time either!

We will be on the Amalegro on the 30th in Nuremberg sailing to Budapest. We will pass each other. I will be getting off the boat as you will be going the boat.

I won't be in a rush, we are staying 3 extra days in Budapest so we may bump into each other. :)

Hi I hope that we do bump into each other, I have been away for the weekend and have just logged on and now reading the posts enjoy your cruise

deb

Hi deb

Yes I am! I'm sure we'll connect over the 7 days.

Chefpeg - I'll wave as we pass on the 7th..... and now that mustard in on my shopping list!

Jane

Hi Jane

I will look forward to meeting you onboard, sorry for the delay in responding I have been away for the weekend and only just had a chance to log on;)

The cruise is coming round quickly now and I am definately getting into the "big Kid" mode:D

deb

Are there hairdryers on the Viking ships? We are in the top category of the ship, so if there are hairdryers...I would think we would have one. Thanks in advance for any info you might have.

I contacted them a few months ago and was told they did. I was really asking if I could use my own dryer (wattage wise) because I have a European dryer (thanks to steamboats!!). They didn't really answer my question but said that they provide hair dryers.

I'm all ready to go!! Ich möchte das kaufen. (I would like to buy this.) No, I'm not done packing but I have the important information. :rolleyes:

Teach me how to say that too! :D

I'm packed, the thanksgiving shopping is done, just need to decorate the house and start the cooking. I'm almost there!

I'm so excited now I'm not sleeping well at night. Keep thinking about the trip.

Teach me how to say that too! :D

I'm packed, the thanksgiving shopping is done, just need to decorate the house and start the cooking. I'm almost there!

I'm so excited now I'm not sleeping well at night. Keep thinking about the trip.

We just found out a few hours ago that DH will have continued employment in Seattle with Chase!!! Now, we can really relax on our vacation! :D

Woo Hoo! Great news! What about the house deal?

Already called our agent!! He was waiting for comps (for over a week!!) from the seller's agent because he couldn't find any to support the asking price. The asking price is way high. Now he has reason to put a fire under her.

Perhaps you should email me so we don't bore everyone else about this. :) thughes at worldvision dot org

Hi Jane

I will look forward to meeting you onboard.

The cruise is coming round quickly now and I am definately getting into the "big Kid" mode:D

Hi deb -

Me too. And me too for getting in the "bid kid" mode! It's getting so close....it's like being a kid again, anticipating the night before Christmas! Oh, yeah. It's the week before Christmas Markets! <tongue firmly in cheek>

Jane

We made it to Munich 8:30 AM Monday morning - local time. Great flight. No problems at all. Took the S Bahn to the town and got to our hotel very quickly. Nice place. After a little rest, we headed to the Marienplatz for a look around. My wife immediately went into Christmas overload. The stands are just being set up and the stores of full of Chirstmas items. My back is hurting already from the thought of carrying all the stuff she buys for the kids and grandkids. First stop was Hofbrafhaus for a liter of beer, pretzels, and sausages. I've been there before and now my wife likes the place too. More walking around, then a stop at the glugwein stand by the outdoor icerink.

Weather is nice. Not too cold for either one of us. If the weather is like this the whole trip it will be great. Euro exchange is about 1.25 dollars to 1 Euro - or so. Much better than we had thought it would be when we signed up for the trip.

Going to Garmish in a couple of hours so we have to leave.

Changed some plans. We're going to the Zugspitz on Friday. The weather is supposed to ge good then. Today we took the hop on hop off bus and walked around Marienplatz. Great day so far. Munich is a great city!!!!

Good choice! Don´t forget to visit Viktualienmarkt, Dallmayr and in case you return to the Hofbräuhaus there are a couple of shops at this square all owned by a guy called Schuhbeck (Bavarian chef). Visit the spice shop just for the smell!!

steamboats

Archived