Roll Call - Christmas Markets 2008 - all lines, all dates

AZPam

We just got our documents yesterday. Of course we did the obligatory document dance. We're booked on the December 7 sailing of the Uniworld River Empress going from Passau to Budapest.

I thought I would post a link to a Uniworld video about the Christmas markets - sure gets you in the mood.

WARNING: this video will make you want to leave immediately for the Christmas markets.

[URL]http://www.uniworld.com/videoplayer.asp?file=HOLIDAYMARKETS.flv[/URL]

Hotsy

For dinner tonite we had pork schnitzel--opened a jar of mustard we bought in Germany last year. It's the same one you are looking for. We bought ours in a grocery store. It is soooo good. We decided to shop for more while on our Christmas market trip. Looks like an empty suitcase will be needed. I'm sure one of your guides will be able to direct you to a grocery store. Things are so much cheaper in the grocer's than a tourist shop. Hope you find your mustard. Pat

[quote name='Hotsy']Hi
We found the greatest German mustard when we were in Passau. We stole about five packets from the restaurant and I'm going to try to get it here in a German Meat Store. It's called Haandlemaier's Hausmachersenf.
Those Germans sure do like long words!

We also love to shop for old wine glasses - they have gorgeous ones!
Alot of them are gilded with gold and have a large bowl or stem. We use them with dinner in the evenings and it's such a nice memory. Little difficult to pack though! I'm taking the International Fed X slips with me!

Have a wonderful trip
Hotsy[/QUOTE]

Thank you!! We'll be in Passau. I will look for the mustard. Thanks for posting the name too.

We are already planning on packing an empty suitcase and mailing some things too. Looks like i am definitely going to need the extra room. I've been known to buy quite a lot at the grocers. We are a condiment fanatics. :p

Never heard of a Fed X slip.

[quote name='tickleddpink']Hi everyone --

I can't believe that I'm leaving in 2 weeks for Vienna!!!! I did the doc dance on Monday when they showed up - whoo hoo! My suitcase & carry-on are out and I'm going to do a trial packing run soon to see how much I can (or want to) bring.

It's been so darned hot here in LA that I haven't worn my boots to break them in. Oops! I ordered about 6 different pairs online and ended up with the incredibly comfortable Trotters Blast. It was strange trying them on in late August in the heat and then the hot weather stayed and stayed and stayed. I'm actually looking forward to colder weather! However, I normally live in Birkenstocks and go bare foot so much that it's a shock to have my feet enclosed in socks and shoes...

As for what I want to buy - I know I want Hungarian paprika, small wooden ornaments, Glüwein mugs and something unique from each market. Something else I'm going to buy is "Rei in der Tube" in Germany - it's the best travel laundry product I've ever used. I discovered it 30 years ago and it's still made. My best friend has Czech heritage, so I want to find something special in Prague for her. Ah, Christmas shopping at Christmas markets in Europe - heaven!

What I don't need is any more glass ornaments - I have so many already. BUT if there's something I fall in love with, well....... we'll see. I collect flying Santa Clauses - it can be anything that gets him airborne other than the traditional sleigh and reindeer. It started 30 years ago when I bought a German ornament in Paris at the end of my big trip.

Oh yes, the most important thing to bring back - lots and lots of great photos and the memories of great fun, food and friendship!

What a fabulous thread this has been - so much great information and advice. And we're almost there! Thank you all.

Amalegro, Cabin 204 here I come!

Cheers,
Jane[/quote]

Jane

are you on the Amalegro Budapest to Nuremberg December 7th ?

if so I will be on that cruise as well

deb

[quote name='fred111']WOW!!! Steamboat thanks a lot! That is the best list of eateries in Munich I have ever seen. I have been to Munich a few times but my wife has never been in Germany. We are really looking forward to the trip. After your write up it looks like we will both gain several pounds.[/quote]

fred111, you´re welcome! Living in Munich for 30 years now I think I´m expected to know something about my hometown.:D

[quote name='ChefPeg']I love mustard, is there a special mustard I should get in Germany?[/quote]

[quote name='Hotsy']Hi
We found the greatest German mustard when we were in Passau. We stole about five packets from the restaurant and I'm going to try to get it here in a German Meat Store. It's called Haandlemaier's Hausmachersenf.
[/quote]

ChefPeg,

Hotsy found the right thing :D! Check here

[URL]http://www.haendlmaier.de/start_produkte.html[/URL]

Händlmaier´s sweet homemade mustard is the best sweet Bavarian mustard you can get. BTW it´s from Regensburg but you get it in every supermarket in Bavaria. If you´re stopping in Regensburg definitely try the Wurstkuchl

[URL]http://wurstkuchl.de/[/URL]

They do have the best sausages (brats) you can get besides the Nuremberg brats. And they also have their own homemade mustard (online they do have a shop including sausages in cans and mustard).

BTW Händlmaier Senf does have its own fanclubs. One is located in Cincinnati, OH :)

[URL]http://www.mustardclub.org/[/URL]

steamboats

[quote name='steamboats']Händlmaier´s sweet homemade mustard is the best sweet Bavarian mustard you can get. BTW it´s from Regensburg but you get it in every supermarket in Bavaria. If you´re stopping in Regensburg definitely try the Wurstkuchl.[/quote]

I know what I'll be looking for along the way. :D But you can help me find it in Munich, if necessary.

We are still waiting for docs... :( They should be arriving today or tomorrow. They took longer to get from the HQ to our TA than expected but she expressed them on Tuesday.

190 hours left for us!! :eek: That's a week from tomorrow.

[quote name='steamboats']

ChefPeg,

Hotsy found the right thing :D! Check here

[URL]http://www.haendlmaier.de/start_produkte.html[/URL]

Händlmaier´s sweet homemade mustard is the best sweet Bavarian mustard you can get. BTW it´s from Regensburg but you get it in every supermarket in Bavaria. If you´re stopping in Regensburg definitely try the Wurstkuchl

[URL]http://wurstkuchl.de/[/URL]

They do have the best sausages (brats) you can get besides the Nuremberg brats. And they also have their own homemade mustard (online they do have a shop including sausages in cans and mustard).

BTW Händlmaier Senf does have its own fanclubs. One is located in Cincinnati, OH :)

[URL]http://www.mustardclub.org/[/URL]

steamboats[/QUOTE]

Oh my!! Thank you so very much!!

Are you able try 'test' the mustards before you buy? I know I'll enjoy every one but DH is not a vinegary type person.

I will have to buy one of each but the problem will be wishing I bought more when I eat it all. LOL!

Must be a wonderful mustard to have it's own fan club. Can't wait to try that one.

Yes, we stop in Regensburg.

Thanks again for the mustard info. I love it!!

[quote name='dmb707']Jane

deb[/QUOTE]

We will be on the Amalegro on the 30th in Nuremberg sailing to Budapest. We will pass each other. I will be getting off the boat as you will be going the boat.

I won't be in a rush, we are staying 3 extra days in Budapest so we may bump into each other. :)

[quote name='KeyOfSea']I know what I'll be looking for along the way. :D But you can help me find it in Munich, if necessary.[/quote]

Trish, you only have 3 days! So make up a list what we should do together:D!

[quote name='ChefPeg']Oh my!! Thank you so very much!!

Are you able try 'test' the mustards before you buy? [/quote]

ChefPeg,

In a supermarket you can´t try them out. But many butcher shops do have what we call "Imbiss" where you can get hot and cold snacks like hot Leberkäse in a roll or the Bavarian "hamburger" called Fleischpflanzerl (it´s sort of a hamburger sized meatloaf in a roll). They should have the small single portion packs hotsy mentioned. And that´ll be a way to try them out. You might also get the packs in a restaurant but many do have a little china jar where you can help yourself.

For the Wurstkuchl just walk up to the Stone Bridge. It´s right on the river below the bridge. You can miss that one floor green building.

steamboats

[quote name='steamboats']Trish, you only have 3 days! So make up a list what we should do together:D![/quote]

Like I know what I want to see!! :eek: :D I thought that we were going to leave Marty at the museum and shop for 3 hours. He won't be ready to leave when we get back. :rolleyes:

Hi deb

Jane

deb

Yes I am! I'm sure we'll connect over the 7 days.

Chefpeg - I'll wave as we pass on the 7th..... and now that mustard in on my shopping list!

Jane

Jane

deb

Jane , Your enthusiasm is contageous!!! Thanks it just what I needed. I have had my head buried in the Message boards for the Mediterranian trip I booked for January (the price was too good, we were going in March, so we moved it up )and am I ever overwhelmed with all the decisions on this really Port intensive trip . I am glad I peeked in to this roll call to remember SHOPPING and Food and Drink and not many decisions at all. I need to start thinking about packing I guess . We leave on the 4th for the Neuremberg Viking trip Dec 7th. Thanks for the pick me up . I hope we get a little snow on our trip The weather has been hot in L.A I am ready for some cooler temps.

Have a good day ,

Kris

Jane , Your enthusiasm is contageous!!! Thanks it just what I needed. I have had my head buried in the Message boards for the Mediterranian trip I booked for January (the price was too good, we were going in March, so we moved it up )and am I ever overwhelmed with all the decisions on this really Port intensive trip . I am glad I peeked in to this roll call to remember SHOPPING and Food and Drink and not many decisions at all. I need to start thinking about packing I guess . We leave on the 4th for the Neuremberg Viking trip Dec 7th. Thanks for the pick me up . I hope we get a little snow on our trip The weather has been hot in L.A I am ready for some cooler temps.

Have a good day ,

Kris

Kris, you'll be getting on the day we get off. :D Should say, same ship.

Congrats to all who have received their documents, isn't it exciting! I'm packing more each day but watching the weather to make adjustments.

Have a great day everyone! :D

:)Cherie

How are you making adjustments? :confused: I figured that I would just bring what I bring and wear more of it at the same time (layers), if necessary. Am I missing something?

O.k., all news are full of severe weather warnings over here. Winter starts in the North of Germany tomorrow morning and is expected to arrive here in Munich in the afternoon. The weather people expect severe winds, thunderstorms and lots of snow! This cold weather should last for a couple of days.

steamboats

Have you been on Viking or a river trip before ? It will be our first, Do you know if we need to bring shampoo?

Kris

No, this is our first. I always bring shampoo because I want 'my' brand. Sorry. :o I can try to post while we're on board and let you know. :D

Last year when we did the Christmas markets, one of the activities was purchasing a unisex Christmas gift for an exchange. My hubby went to the grocery and purchased a couple of tubes of mustard!!! I was appalled that he would do such a thing. The lady that received the mustard was thrilled, and other people were lamenting that they should have checked out the grocery stores for mustard to take home.

I'm starting my pre-packing today as our son is going to come home for Thanksgiving, and I have to clean off the bed where I've been keeping things to pack. We are leaving much later than most of you on our trip (Dec 9) but that just gives me more days to anticipate the trip.

I did my civic duty and got selected as an alternate for the jury. They are deliberating and the judge gave me a choice of waiting at the court house or coming home and being on call. Nice guy to let me be at home.

Got to get to that packing. Hope you early birds that get to the Christmas markets first do not purchase all the good stuff.:):):)

O.k., all news are full of severe weather warnings over here. Winter starts in the North of Germany tomorrow morning and is expected to arrive here in Munich in the afternoon. The weather people expect severe winds, thunderstorms and lots of snow! This cold weather should last for a couple of days.

steamboats

I've been watching the weather reports for Switzerland and they have had snow in the prediction for a few days now! I am sooooo excited. Can you please order up enough snow and cold weather to last until we get there? ;)

From the sounds of things today, guess I had better put some mustard on my shopping list too! Who knew? Sounds yummy though.

Fred, with 72 hours to go, have you started packing yet? :D

How are you making adjustments? :confused: I figured that I would just bring what I bring and wear more of it at the same time (layers), if necessary. Am I missing something?

Hi Trish!

My adjustments are mostly because I tend to bring TOO much stuff! LOL I watch the weather reports then adjust my thinking on what I really need to bring based on that. I'm always afraid I'm going to not have something that I realllllly need.

I'm planning on layering as well. My hubby is fighting me on that because he thinks it is going to be very cold and wet and I can't talk him into bringing some layers and not all sweaters and coats. If needed I'm sure I'll have the much deserved "I told you so!" if the weather isn't what he expects.

:) Cherie

Archived