Roll Call - Christmas Markets 2008 - all lines, all dates

AZPam

Good news--our Vantage final documents arrived yesterday. :):):) I'm so happy as I was worried because the trip is not sold out. So it looks as if the trip is a definite.

I'm envious of all of you that are already packing. I have not unpacked from our trip from 2-weeks ago as I've been ill with the cold that involves a terrible cough that hangs on for weeks. On top of that, I have jury duty tomorrow.:mad: After this week I'll be able to start concentrating on preparations for our trip.

[URL="http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkw8NHRpJqMcAvsBXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTBzaGNsNnU4BHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkA0gxNTlfODc-/SIG=1j7mmk2pc/EXP=1226534541/**http%3a//images.search.yahoo.com/images/view%3fback=http%253A%252F%252Fsearch.yahoo.com%252Fsearch%253Fei%253DUTF-8%2526p%253DVeterans%252Bday%252Bclip%252Bart%26w=96%26h=92%26imgurl=www.wpclipart.com%252Fholiday%252FVeterans_Day%252F.cache%252FAll_American_supporter.png%26size=10.8kB%26name=All_American_supporter.png%26rcurl=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.wpclipart.com%252Fholiday%26rurl=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.wpclipart.com%252Fholiday%26p=veterans%2bday%2bclip%2bart%26type=png%26no=3%26tt=29%26oid=b1cc7e451da32078%26tit=All_American_supporter.png%26sigr=1100qkave%26sigi=128hd2d9n%26sigb=11v5jgv09"][IMG]http://sp1.yt-thm-a02.yimg.com/image/25/m7/3692182930[/IMG][/URL] [SIZE=4][COLOR=royalblue][B]HAPPY VETERAN'S DAY EVERYONE!![/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Second seating']This may have been answered and I missed it. We are leaving Cologne on Uniworld's River Queen Dec. 14th. How close does the boat dock to the towns?

Thanks,
Second seating[/QUOTE]

I bet Steamboats might be able to answer this better than anybody. However, I think it kind of depends on each company and where they pay to dock. Seems to me GCT docked pretty far away in Cologne and it was kind of a hike into town. Other towns we were right there in the middle of it.

Doesn't anybody have a better answer than this? I'm probably wrong :o

Our docs arrived last week! Don't you agree that when the docs arrive, the trip becomes even more exciting?
BTW, is there any dancing at all on the river cruises? I know there is a small lounge on board Viking Spirit.
We want to polka somewhere in Germany and possible waltz in Vienna.
Any suggestions?:)

We just booked the Amadeus Royal from Prague to Budapest leaving on Dec. 11 from the USA. Anyone else on that particular trip? Went to a Christmas Market years ago so this one intrigued us--hoping for some snowy Christmas weather!
Barbara from NC

[quote name='Lifeisshortcruiser']Joining you on the 12/18....flying in very early from Chicago the morning of the 19th...very, very surprised and disapointed there are no provisions for services on Christmas Eve/morning, although, someone shared with me that there will be services in town Christmas Eve afternoon...not quite the same...but might be the only opportunity.[/quote]

to: lifeisshortcruiser:

After writing a letter to the President about the Christmas Service issue (and mentioning that his staff hung up on me twice!) I did receive a phone call from a higher-up (I was away and my husband took the call, not getting a name of course) who assured him that the ship will supply transportation to the 11 pm Christmas services and the boat will not leave until we return! Is'nt that great news! Sometimes it pays to go to the top. Excited about the trip; this is our first time on Vantage, but have done Uniworld and Gate 1 and loved it.

Hotsy

[quote name='Second seating']This may have been answered and I missed it. We are leaving Cologne on Uniworld's River Queen Dec. 14th. How close does the boat dock to the towns?

Thanks,
Second seating[/quote]

[quote name='AZPam']I bet Steamboats might be able to answer this better than anybody. However, I think it kind of depends on each company and where they pay to dock. Seems to me GCT docked pretty far away in Cologne and it was kind of a hike into town. Other towns we were right there in the middle of it.

Doesn't anybody have a better answer than this? I'm probably wrong :o[/quote]

There is a docking area close to the downtown area in Cologne. But you have to remember that Cologne is Viking area (or KD). So Viking has the best spots there. Sure it also depends on how much the river cruise companies are paying. Like in Vienna there are two docking areas, Handelskai (which is close to the subway) and Nussdorf (which is close to nothing). In most towns along the river you dock right in the city center. In larger cities (like Vienna or Cologne) there can be more than one docking area. On the Rhine-Main-Danube Canal in some cases the canal isn´t very close to the downtown area like in Bamberg and especially in Nuremberg. That´s mainly because it´s an artificial waterway. On the rivers cities usually are directly located on the river.

Passau has so much river traffic that they´ve opened up a second docking area at Passau-Lindau which is about 4 km from the downtown area.

steamboats

Well, I now know why I haven't received my cruise documents yet. If you read the home page of the cruisecritic.com website you will see that a major travel agency went belly up. That is the travel agency that we used.

Luckily though, we paid in full months ago and Uniworld and the travel insurance company have been paid in full. I spoke to Uniworld (THEY ARE GREAT!!!) and they faxed me a copy of the ticket and emailed the brochure. Super service. The insurance company also confirmed that the policy was in effect.

I feel sorry for the people who paid and did not have their money forwarded to the cruise lines.

[quote name='Hotsy']to: lifeisshortcruiser:

After writing a letter to the President about the Christmas Service issue (and mentioning that his staff hung up on me twice!) I did receive a phone call from a higher-up (I was away and my husband took the call, not getting a name of course) who assured him that the ship will supply transportation to the 11 pm Christmas services and the boat will not leave until we return! Is'nt that great news! Sometimes it pays to go to the top. Excited about the trip; this is our first time on Vantage, but have done Uniworld and Gate 1 and loved it.

Hotsy[/quote]

Wonderful news! Thank you so much for continuing to find resolve on that issue!

[quote name='fred111']Well, I now know why I haven't received my cruise documents yet. If you read the home page of the cruisecritic.com website you will see that a major travel agency went belly up. That is the travel agency that we used.

Luckily though, we paid in full months ago and Uniworld and the travel insurance company have been paid in full. I spoke to Uniworld (THEY ARE GREAT!!!) and they faxed me a copy of the ticket and emailed the brochure. Super service. The insurance company also confirmed that the policy was in effect.

I feel sorry for the people who paid and did not have their money forwarded to the cruise lines.[/QUOTE]

Wow, Fred! I totally missed that news, so thanks for pointing it out. I've never used them, but good to know. Also great to hear that Uniworld is on top of things and getting it all out to you.

Hotsy, I'd love to hear some comparisons on the 3 different companies when you return.

KKbay, I know last time quite a few couples danced in the lounge at night as there was a piano player on board for the Christmas cruises. Maybe your trip will have something like than so you can get some dancing in.

So, is everybody starting to pack yet?

"So, is everybody starting to pack yet? "

[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Nope, not yet! I'll probably start "gathering" next week. I'm still waiting to see what the long range forecasts look like before deciding what to pack. A couple of days ago, the forecast high for Prague for Nov 27, was a high of 30F and low of 22F. Those temps are not as cold as I was expecting, but still much colder than us desert dwellers are used to.;)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Bill S']"So, is everybody starting to pack yet? "

[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Nope, not yet! I'll probably start "gathering" next week. I'm still waiting to see what the long range forecasts look like before deciding what to pack. A couple of days ago, the forecast high for Prague for Nov 27, was a high of 30F and low of 22F. Those temps are not as cold as I was expecting, but still much colder than us desert dwellers are used to.;)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

That's cold enough for me, Bill! I'm already gathering, but still in the stage of just throwing things into the carry on that I don't want to forget. Got some Swiss Francs the other day, so at least I'll have some spending money when I first arrive. The Euro still is going up and down, so I am hedging my bets on that and waiting a little bit longer.

Hello All
Congrats to all of you doing the doc dance... I am gone right now, but husband said they came. I heard something that is a little worrisome.
We are going on the viking Europe, Dec. 9, 2008. We had heard from a lady that just got off a danube cruise that was the same itinerary that the river cruises go through the locks at night and therefore, it is hard to sleep. :eek: Since I don't know this, could someone enlighten me about the possibility of this noise at night. We are on the top center so was wondering if we need to worry at all. Thanks in advance for any response.

Happy Cruisin:cool: To All

Pam

Be careful with tipping if you eat in a restaurant in Switzerland. We could not locate the "tip included" on our restaurant bill, left a heafty tip, and then found out it was already included. We had a grumpy waiter, but my husband always overtips in Europe, and the waiter was smiling when we left. Our tour guide later told us not to tip in Lucerne.

[quote name='H2Otstr']Pam

Be careful with tipping if you eat in a restaurant in Switzerland. We could not locate the "tip included" on our restaurant bill, left a heafty tip, and then found out it was already included. We had a grumpy waiter, but my husband always overtips in Europe, and the waiter was smiling when we left. Our tour guide later told us not to tip in Lucerne.[/QUOTE]

Good to know! I think last time we ate a lot of dinners at the Christmas Market and one meal at a little tea shop. I don't remember, but would guess we must have tipped since that's what we do.

Catkoe1, I remember going thru a lot of locks before but never had a problem sleeping thru them. I do wear ear plugs since my mom snores though! (Don't tell her I told you! ;)

[quote name='catkoe1']Hello All
Congrats to all of you doing the doc dance... I am gone right now, but husband said they came. I heard something that is a little worrisome.
We are going on the viking Europe, Dec. 9, 2008. We had heard from a lady that just got off a danube cruise that was the same itinerary that the river cruises go through the locks at night and therefore, it is hard to sleep. :eek: Since I don't know this, could someone enlighten me about the possibility of this noise at night. We are on the top center so was wondering if we need to worry at all. Thanks in advance for any response.

Happy Cruisin:cool: To All[/quote]

Don´t worry too much. What is causing noise in a lock are the bow thrusters and stern thrusters. So if you´re cabin is on the lowest deck to the bow you can hear the noise. But with a midship cabin on the top deck you should be fine.

steamboats

[quote name='pacmom']Here I sit mulling over my packing list. I looked out the window and guess what? It is snowing. Not a crippling storm, just lots of white landing on lawns. In just two weeks and a wake-up we are off to Nuremberg. Take care. Pat[/QUOTE]

Pat, if a fresh snow fall doesn't get you into the mood, I don't know what will. ;) Here I sit, trying to get my client calendars ready to be mailed before I leave, and it's about 80 degrees outside with a beautiful blue sky. I wish I could somehow take this all outside and sit on the patio to enjoy the beautiful day!

Archived