Roll Call - Christmas Markets 2008 - all lines, all dates

AZPam

Easy. Skip the shopping and spend your money on Gluehwein and sausages. :-)

LOL! Good one, Signor John! I'm definitely going to concentrate on the Glüwein and the mugs. After that it's photography, sausages and (hopefully) potato pancakes! I'm afraid the trip may pass in a alcoholic haze between Glüwein, the free wine at dinner and enjoying a good beer occasionally. Maybe there's a hot mulled cider or something!

As for shopping, I'll be looking for something unique or small ornaments that are the "sprinkles" on my tree similar to ones bought in Germany years ago ('78, '85 and '87). I already have a Nuremberg gold angel, circa 1987, so that's one less thing to bring home.

I am so excited about this trip - the next 3-1/2 weeks are going to fly by. Whoo hoo!

Jane

Does anyone remember how much the mugs are to purchase with the Gluehwein?

Pam,

I remember someone writing that the deposit on them is 2-3 euros when you buy a hot drink. The advice given was make sure you got one that wasn't well used... Enjoy the drink, keep the mug.

Hope this helps.

Jane

Pam,

Yes, it should be a deposit of 2 Euro maybe 2.50 Euro. You have to pay it when buying the Glühwein. If you don´t take the mug you get the deposit back. In some cases you also have to pay a deposit for glasses or plates as we´re not allowed to have any kind of styrofoam or plastic cups or plates (too much garbage). Sometimes you´ll get the fries in sort of a waffle/cone. You can eat it but I don´t think it tastes good.

Speaking of deposits: In Germany you´ll might be surprised to find no cans anymore. There are only a few drinks still sold in cans. All is sold in plastic bottles. And all plastic bottles (and cans if you still can find one) have a deposit of 25 cents. Usually any kind of drink in a beverage carton (tetrapack) doesn´t have a deposit. If you´re not sure about a deposit check the price tag on the shelves. If there´s anything written about .25 Euro or the word "Pfand" is mentioned then there´s a deposit on that kind of beverage. To make it even worse you can´t return every bottle at every place. Some supermarkets only take back their own stuff.

steamboats

Thanks for the info on the mugs and the heads up on cans/bottles. Interesting! Personally think it's a good idea too, so doesn't really bother me. Glad I know about it as I like to take some diet coke with me on board so I can get my fix without waiting to go to the bar or dining room. Just another expense to deal with, but there you go.

Fourteen days and a wake up and we head for the airport!!!! We have four days in Munich before the first of the Christmas markets open. Then its two weeks of being a "beast of burden", carrying stuff my wife buys at the markets.

We had no problem purchasing empty gluhwein mugs last year. In fact the workers would look for ones that were brighter colors or they would take new mugs out of boxes of us We have a collection started now--just what we need, something else to store.:) We plan to take a picture of the ones we have with us so we do not purchase duplicates this year.

Hi! We leave on December 6 on the Viking Spirit for the Christmas Markets on the Danube. Since I live in a warmer climate, I do not own long underwear, and feel that I need to get some. Found some at Tuesday Morning by Cuddle Duds for under $8 per piece. They are not silk, though. Do you think silk ones are warmer?
We are getting very excited. This will be our first river cruise.:) We have our luggage sprawled out in an extra bedroom. I plan on the preliminary packing to begin next week. Personally, I LOVE looking forward to packing and planning - that's half the fun!
Anyone purchase compression socks for the flight? If so, where and $$?

[quote name='H2Otstr']No need for silk long uderwear, Cuddle Duds are great. You got a fantastic price for those items, they normally retail for approx. $25. They are very warm. Don't forget a nice warm scarf for your neck.

Have fun.[/QUOTE]

Hi there,

I agree Cuddle Duds are great.

I have worn Cuddle Duds in Alaska and they do keep you warm enough. I bought a few more tops fo this trip since it will be very cold shopping in the markets. And I want to be out there enjoying every minute.

[quote name='letteanne']kkbay
I now have a new favorite brand from Magellans.com,
Travelsox $28.85, I have used them on three trips this year and they work great.
Letteanne[/QUOTE]

I'll check it out. Thanks!

[quote name='fred111']Fourteen days and a wake up and we head for the airport!!!! We have four days in Munich before the first of the Christmas markets open. Then its two weeks of being a "beast of burden", carrying stuff my wife buys at the markets.[/QUOTE]

Hi there,

I can feel your excitement in your post.

We just got our beautiful docs this week. That makes it so much closer to me now.

We leave on the 29th.

You are in the same 'boat' as my DH, lol. He carries the purchases too. We call him the 'pack mule', lol.

Have a wonderful cruise. And shopping!!:p

[quote name='kkbay']Anyone purchase compression socks for the flight? If so, where and $$?[/quote]

We did at Rite Aid. I don't know the brand or cost but it was cheaper than Magellan.

VV: We boarded our ship today and it's just wonderful!! We're having a wonderful time. :D

[quote name='Hotsy']We are on this 16 day Christmas Trip on Vantage. We have never been on Vantage before, but have taken river cruises on Uniworld a few times and Gate 1. I was reading the itinerary in detail and realized that we leave Wurzburg at 11 pm Christmas Eve and do not arrive in Wertheim until 1 pm on Christmas Day. This means we cannot attend services on Christmas eve or Christmas morning! I am shocked that they did not consider this in their planning. They have absolutely refused to make any changes, even a few hours.

Previous Christmas Market trips we have taken on other lines ALWAYS have considered this. I do not like their attitude.

Is there anyone else on this trip?[/quote]

Joining you on the 12/18....flying in very early from Chicago the morning of the 19th...very, very surprised and disapointed there are no provisions for services on Christmas Eve/morning, although, someone shared with me that there will be services in town Christmas Eve afternoon...not quite the same...but might be the only opportunity.

Main service for Christmas over here is on Christmas Eve. There usually is a service at midnight (but that´s when you´re already cruising). There should be also an earlier service by app. 5 pm. Here´s a website for the (Catholic) cathedral in Wuerzburg but the calendar ends by Dec 6th so far. Check again later for updates

[URL]http://www.bistum-wuerzburg.de/bwo/dcms/sites/bistum/pfarreien/dekanate/wuerzburg_stadt/pfr/wue_dom/gd.html[/URL]
(sorry it´s only available in German)

steamboats

Time is just flying by now! So much to do to prepare for this trip and wouldn't you know, I am getting busy with work. And since I am a Realtor, that should say something! With our market being so awful, I haven't been busy for months. Now all of a sudden I have two buyers that want to have something in escrow before Christmas. I'm not complaining, it's just typical. Whenever I try to leave on any type of cruise my business picks up. Little do they know we are more likely to have something in escrow before Thanksgiving! ;)

[quote name='AZPam']Time is just flying by now! So much to do to prepare for this trip and wouldn't you know, I am getting busy with work. And since I am a Realtor, that should say something! With our market being so awful, I haven't been busy for months. Now all of a sudden I have two buyers that want to have something in escrow before Christmas. I'm not complaining, it's just typical. Whenever I try to leave on any type of cruise my business picks up. Little do they know we are more likely to have something in escrow before Thanksgiving! ;)[/quote]

That's too funny! We're looking at buying a new house too. We hadn't planned to for about 2.5 yrs. when DS graduates from college. But this seemed to fall in our laps. Now we just need to find out DH's employment status (hopefully before we leave on vacation!!) because he works for WaMu.

VV: We had a great time in Melk today. There are just so many pretty things to see and buy! And so much history -- our country is so young in comparison.

[quote name='KeyOfSea']That's too funny! We're looking at buying a new house too. We hadn't planned to for about 2.5 yrs. when DS graduates from college. But this seemed to fall in our laps. Now we just need to find out DH's employment status (hopefully before we leave on vacation!!) because he works for WaMu.
[/QUOTE]

I will keep my fingers crossed for your DH. This economy is just awful with all the lay offs going on. My DH was told last week, works for Intel, that he really wanted to work the night shift to guarantee his job status. Looks like he will be working night starting in the spring. I'm not thrilled with this shift, but I guess he still has a job, huh?

Good luck with the new house too! This is the BEST time to be buying a house!

[quote name='AZPam'][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=5][COLOR=red]I am doing the doc dance! :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Thanks for the good wishes!! We really want this house but we don't NEED to move so we're in control.

[SIZE=4][COLOR=red]Congrats!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE] [COLOR=green]I'm so jealous! [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]But happy for you. :D[/COLOR]

Waiting for our Docs right now. The TA has had them since Oct 24th but didn't bother to send them to us. Called them yesterday and told them to get a move on it.

I am really impressed with Uniworld. They have a great customer service department. They answer emails very quickly and very professionally. If this is any indication of the cruise, we will have a great time.

Anyone else on the Uniworld tour leaving Budapest on Nov 30th?

[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Congratulations, Pam! Welcome to the Document Dancers Society!!! :) [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Some of the folks in our group are already making dinner plans for the Palace Prague hotel's acclaimed restaurant on Dec 2. Things are falling into place for the most part. I'll start my preliminary packing next week, I think. DW already has several stacks of items and her suitcase out. This worries me, as she is usually the one who packs at the last minute. ;)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Bill S'][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Congratulations, Pam! Welcome to the Document Dancers Society!!! :) [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff] This worries me, as she is usually the one who packs at the last minute. ;)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I'd be worried too if I were you! :D I've got most of my prelim packing done. It's all hanging the guest room closet and the suitcase is on the bed. I have my stuff ready to take over to my mom's since we pack a few outfits in each other's bags just in case the airlines decide our bags should go elsewhere.

Fred, it sounds like you will be dancing with us any day now.

Archived