Are onboard mutinies justified?

Erica@cruisecritic

Are onboard mutinies justified in the event of an itinerary change?  

2,615 members have voted

1. 1. Are onboard mutinies justified in the event of an itinerary change?

• Yes -- cruise passengers should get compensated for all missed ports.
    • Yes -- cruise lines don't give passengers another way to complain.
    • Maybe -- but only if the cruise is seriously re-routed.
    • Maybe -- but only if the cruise staff mishandles the situation.
    • No -- if you can't handle a missed port, don't cruise during hurricane season.
    • No -- cruise passengers need to read the fine print.
    • No -- you're still on vacation, aren’t you?
    • I've posted my opinion below.

[quote name='lovesublime'] However, if the captain did indeed call pax 'suckers', then I think he should be reprimanded or dismissed. [/quote]

It's already been disclosed that the captain was talking about "sailing through those suckers" on the next cruise as well.

Clearly the reference was to the other hurricanes out there.

Look for the posts where there ARE people stating they were informed.

[quote name='MrPete']It's already been disclosed that the captain was talking about "sailing through those suckers" on the next cruise as well.

Clearly the reference was to the other hurricanes out there.

Look for the posts where there ARE people stating they were informed.[/QUOTE]

It is funny how people will zone on something said, and take it out of context to make trouble. Why did they do that? Maybe because they KNEW they did not have a legitimate gripe.

Unfortunately, we have become a very selfish and ME-oriented society. We want it PERFECT and we want it NOW. If we don't get our way, the lawyers in those cheesy TV ads tell us we have rights. Then we teach our children the same - when the teacher sends our child to detention for disrespectfully talking back, we march right to the school and say how dare you... How sad...:rolleyes:

I agree with all the posts above. Cruising in hurricane season is a gamble and you should just roll with whatever changes are made.

A couple of years ago, we sailed on the Golden Princess out of NYC on a repositioning cruise to Puerto Rico in October. The ship sailed exactly on time, leaving about 50 passengers at the airport because of Hurricane Wilma. The ship sailed at full speed for three days to outrun Wilma which was crossing Florida and heading for the Atlantic. The captain kept us fully informed and even had satellite images of the storm and the weather forecast printed and sent to each cabin every morning. Since it WAS a repositioning cruise, I'm sure the line would have extended the cruise, if need be, to make sure that the ship ended up in San Juan.

While my wife and I have had good luck during hurricane season cruises, a few years back a hurricaine, Ivan I think, caused so much damage the itinerary was changed due to extensive damage. Repairs were accomplished and the ship was put back on the orginal itinerary. But then a distress call from Cubans on a raft caused us to to miss our stop in Jamaica.

There were a few passengers who complained, loudly in one case but for the most part everyone went along with the flow.

We have been on a number of cruises and have been to most of the ports on more than 2 occasions. Maybe these complainers are on their first cruise and have never been to the ports they miss, maybe they don't think they will ever have another opportunity, maybe they are cronic complainers.

Whatever the cause it is unjustifiable and they should get a life. Cruising is the absolute best way to vacation and I will not allow these few idiots ruin the experience for me.

While my wife and I have had good luck during hurricane season cruises, a few years back a hurricaine, Ivan I think, caused so much damage the itinerary was changed due to extensive damage. Repairs were accomplished and the ship was put back on the orginal itinerary. But then a distress call from Cubans on a raft caused us to to miss our stop in Jamaica.

There were a few passengers who complained, loudly in one case but for the most part everyone went along with the flow.

We have been on a number of cruises and have been to most of the ports on more than 2 occasions. Maybe these complainers are on their first cruise and have never been to the ports they miss, maybe they don't think they will ever have another opportunity, maybe they are cronic complainers.

Whatever the cause it is unjustifiable and they should get a life. Cruising is the absolute best way to vacation and I will not allow these few idiots ruin the experience for me.

I wish there was a choice of "I agree with all of the No's."

Too bad people don't read the brochures and ticket contracts when booking a cruise. A Captain who didn't ensure the safety of his crew and passengers would be sailing on a fishing boat because he would have lost his Master's license. His main objectivity is their safety and that of the ship.

Anyone who does book a cruise during hurricane season, especially since they are so unpredictable, has to be prepared for itinerary changes. They cannot be so blind as to not see what harm could be done if the Captain kept on his appointed route. It is up to the Captain and his crew to keep everyone informed. That could be the only problem with this sailing: lack of communication.

Maybe coming from a shipping industry background, I see things differently than the average person. Ships, although they look like they are easily maneuverable, are extremely difficult to manage in the best of conditions. To believe that one could dock safely into port during a storm, is foolish. Passengers need to be aware of this and how the Captain is looking out for THEIR safety and not covering his or the corporation's backside. If he is that irresponsible to sail into a storm, then he deserves to lose his license.

It is also up to passengers to DO THEIR HOMEWORK. Before sailing on any cruise, check to see the weather conditions for that area for storms. Granted, you may not be able to get out of the cruise, but at least you would be prepared for the worst that could happen.

Horizongirl, I remember those sailings very well. I had a friend who was sailing on the Meridian while another sailed the Zenith during that hurricane. The Zenith suffered damage not only to some of the interior, but also the bow. The Meridian chose to sail out the next day. Again, it wa all up to the Captain's decision whether or not to sail.

Remember, the Captain is human and can make mistakes too.

Anita

We really had no dog in this fight but since there was a lawyer involved let us respond. The Captain is ultimately responsible for all decisions made on that ship in regards to safety or any other matter during the voyage. A lawyer of all people should understand those ramifications and read the "fine print". The same mutinous SOB would have been the first to cry in 30 ft seas had the Captain steered into the wake of Hannah. Living in Florida, my husband and I have a tremendous respect for storms and hurricanes. He is a boat Captain and would never endanger anyone just wanting to have a good time. We too are taking advantage of reduced rates during hurricane season and will be sailing September 29th with Royal Caribbean. We are already prepared for any changes that may be made and will still have the time of our lives. Any trip is what one makes of it.

I've been on a rerouted cruise. such is life on the boat.

If you can not handle a rerouted cruiise then my suggestion is DON'T CRUISE. As for poor communication from the captain or crew I do believe that you should be kept informed on a regular basis when these things do happen on board and if you are not kept informed then you do have a complaint. But that complaint is not with the waiters or the room steward as such withholding their tips is despicable.

countdown.pl?name=Mysteryrider&date=9-17-2008%E2%84%91=Beach-9&text=&ship=Carnival%20Spirit

TWO WORDS Lawyer and Money = ONE WORD......GREED. Take a cheaper curise, get upset, rile up others...why...aha! maybe someone will "have to pay" just to settle things down. Then you get the cruise maybe for free while you stiffed the ones who tried their best to help you, and aren't you proud?

A cruiseline moves port so you won't be out there without shelter, food, water,and maybe someone you loved, in the cold , wind and dark. How about a flight to Houston tomorrow....oh gosh...Southwest shut down! Better luck next year!

Oops, gotta go, I get to review the Hannah destruction all night long.

Blessings,

Gail

Another little fact that we were told on this cruise was that during that week there were 250 port deviations....and 2 carnival ships didn't even get into a port in 7 days....

It's funny - how we don't hear from any of those ships about a "mutiny". These people on this boat really pi**ed me off.

Realize - that most of us "went with the flow" and really did enjoy this trip. It's sad how they think they can get something for nothing.

I am going to write carnival and let them know that I had a great time and to thank the captain, crew and staff for keeping us safe that week:D .

Sadly we'll probably never really know if the cruise line took any action against the ringleader of the most recent shipboard protest. I'd like to see the expression on his face when told, "Sorry counselor, you are persona non grata. But, thanks for sailing with us in the past."

Charlie

Another little fact that we were told on this cruise was that during that week there were 250 port deviations....and 2 carnival ships didn't even get into a port in 7 days....

It's funny - how we don't hear from any of those ships about a "mutiny". These people on this boat really pi**ed me off.

Realize - that most of us "went with the flow" and really did enjoy this trip. It's sad how they think they can get something for nothing.

I am going to write carnival and let them know that I had a great time and to thank the captain, crew and staff for keeping us safe that week:D .

That'll be a great thing to do (writing to Carnival) as I'm sure they are hearing a lot from the whiners.

Seems that people who frequesnt websites like this one, know not to cruise in hurricane season if u cant handle missed ports.. perhaps travel agents should 'warn' passangers that boats and hurricanes dont mix.. since these unruly passengers dont have a CLUE!! maybe they need to read a paper once in a while.. or watch something besides heehaw

Here is the solution.......while booking a cruise during Hurricane season all passengers should be made to watch the "poseidon adventure", and if they still want to make their ports.......the captain should put them overboard in the lifeboat so they can make their own way to their desired destination. Meanwhile all the sane passengers can stay safe warm and dry, and not have to put up with the idiot whiners:D

How very selfish. Read the fine print. Be thankful someone was concerned about your safety. And have some compassion for the people that live in those areas who were affected by the hurricane. People who stage a mutiny like that are the ones who give American tourists a bad name.

Last week, passengers on Carnival Miracle started a near revolt when a significant itinerary change due to Tropical Storm Hanna turned their Eastern Caribbean sailing into a cruise to Florida, the Bahamas...and Newport, Rhode Island. Cruise Critic Editor in Chief Carolyn Spencer Brown shares her opinion on onboard mutinies in today's From the Bridge feature: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=736

Do you think these increasingly common mutinies are justified? Please vote in our poll or share your opinion below.

I was on the Carnival Glory at the same time - we missed going to the Bahamas because of the weather, and they didn't substitute a port. So instead of 3 ports we only had 2. If there was any kind of mutiny, it wasn't organized because I didn't hear anything about it. It was disappointing that we missed that port, but we were still on the cruise and did fun things on ship. I'm sure that people complained, but the only big group I saw congregating in the lobby were the radio station people getting their pictures taken, not starting war on the Captain on the crew.

Those people should be grateful that they got to go into ports at all - I heard that some cruises became cruises to nowhere because of weather in the ports. If they didn't like it, they should have gotten off the ship in the first port and invoked the vacation guarantee thing Carnival has.

Ahhhh, so there was communication on the ship from Carnival. Funny how the mutineers left this information out.

Ahhhh, so there was communication on the ship from Carnival. Funny how the mutineers left this information out.

When you refer to "the Mutineers", I am sure you are referring to what the reports refer to as the instigator of the incident, a New York lawyer. Unless I have misread the reports, most of the trouble can be laid at his feet.

And as he was a lawyer, no doubt his only concern was to drum up new business for himself. Probably he set up a card table in the lobby to sign up clients.

(Wonder if his name was "Sokolove?") :rolleyes:

Archived