Are onboard mutinies justified?

Erica@cruisecritic

Are onboard mutinies justified in the event of an itinerary change?  

2,615 members have voted

1. 1. Are onboard mutinies justified in the event of an itinerary change?

• Yes -- cruise passengers should get compensated for all missed ports.
    • Yes -- cruise lines don't give passengers another way to complain.
    • Maybe -- but only if the cruise is seriously re-routed.
    • Maybe -- but only if the cruise staff mishandles the situation.
    • No -- if you can't handle a missed port, don't cruise during hurricane season.
    • No -- cruise passengers need to read the fine print.
    • No -- you're still on vacation, aren’t you?
    • I've posted my opinion below.

Peaceful requests for explanations for rerouting should be given by crew members including the Captain .I believe people were upset they were not properly advised.

Any Mutiny is not acceptable

HOWEVER the cruise line could offer a token of recognition of displeasure by offering OBC or extra Captain's Night and Free drinks .

I think any gesture of good will would have been acceptable.Rudeness or lack of information is not a good option to appease angry mobs .

A little PR goes a long way in these situations .

Perhaps Carnival was wrong not to try to appease crowd .But people who travel in Hurricane season should expect rerouting to avoid DANGER .OF COURSE it;'s disappointing but something tells me less then loss of life or destruction of ship.

On our CB cruise all our itinerary was changed and shortened due to engine problems known by the cruise company way beforehand which they chose not to tell us.....Was I disappointed .....OF COURSE Did I make the best of it ABSOLUTELY ...BITCHING does not help just go with the flow...and the waves !!!

MIchele

These are the same people who will complain about everything. "The buffet line is to long" "I had to wait an extra 30 seconds for the elevator" " It was cloudy today and our excursion was no fun" It's sad that the hostile complainers always seem to have the loudest voices. To take a Caribbean cruise in Hurricane season and not think that their is a chance you may have to avoid a storm and change your itinerary is wishful thinking. If they would only realize how lucky they are to be on a cruise in the first place and go with the flow they would enjoy what ever the day brings. To organize a mutiny and make threats against the cruise line is obsurd and I'am sure unlawful. They are there to provide you with a wonderful vacation and a safe environment. Some people should stay off cruise ships. They ruin it for the rest of us.

I was a passenger several years ago on a June Boston to Bermuda cruise that was rerouted because of a hurricane. The night before we arrived in Bermuda the captain made an announcement that we would have one beautiful day (instead of 4) in Bermuda, and would be departing at 6:00 PM for Bar Harbor, Maine and Nova Scotia. The storm followed us back. Passengers packed for a much warmer climate and were not prepared for the cold and rainy weather. Other cruise lines in port made different decisions. Royal Caribbean ships went to the Bahamas. Celebrity ships actually stayed in Bermuda. Passengers questioned why we were not rerouted to the Bahamas and were told that Norwegian had docking privileges at the ports we were rerouted to. There would have been fees associated with docking in the Bahamas that they were unwilling to pay.

Cruise ships should understand that passengers sailing from the New York area have probably already visited Newport several times. Even if they book in hurricane season, they are not happy about paying a fortune to go on a cruise to end up in their own back yard.

I voted with most everybody else that "mutinies" are not justified under the circumstances of this particular cruise because, if you cruise in hurricane season, you take your chances.

But there are changes and there are changes. I have not experienced it, but I have heard of itinerary changes in good weather, for no apparent reason, with no replacement stops and no, or inconcsistent, explanations from the line. I would be upset in such circumstances and would probably assume the line was trying to avoid an advertised port to save money, and wonder why it had not been announced pre-cruise.

But I also agree that withholding tips is low-class in any event. Your waiters and state-room attendant didn't decide the itinerary changes.

Dennis

Another nail in the reputation coffin of lawyers. Why don't these whiners stay off the ships and let the rest of us enjoy them. I'm sick to death of these whiners and malcontents. STAY HOME!

What can we expect from a Florida Gator. I guess then, the FL and GA lawyers should cancel the continuing legal education cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale on Carnival that we have in November. Why contribute to the Florida economy since that is what you people think of us.

Yes, passenger should be given some compensation good public relations. What would it cost the cruise line to give a coupon for 10-20-25% off a future cruise. Explain to me why the ships that left Florida on the 31st of Aug made it to St Thomas and there other ports.

First -- What would it cost the cruise line? Well, the NY Times states there were 2400 passengers on board. If Carnival offered them even a 10% discount off a future cruise (assuming a cruise cost of about $1000 per person on average), it would cost them about $240,000. Perhaps they could make up the extra money out of the generous tips the passengers left? Oh, wait......:mad:

Second -- I'm no weather expert, but I don't have to be one to look at the news reports on the forecasted track of the hurricane during the period that Miracle was sailing. Here is one example:

http://www.wral.com/weather/story/3465400/

Clearly, no one had a crystal ball to know exactly where and when the storm would strike. Living in Georgia and with relatives on Florida's East Coast, we were all well aware that Hanna was set to travel up the eastern coast of the US. It's likely that any ship able to depart South Florida and head toward the Caribbean would've been able to dodge the storm and could head over to the Gulf to avoid it, if necessary. However, Miracle would've had to go down the entire East Coast, coming from NY, and the captain and crew were likely even more concerned about the return trip. In that light, I think a stop at Port Canaveral to assess the situation was probably a very good one.

I don't understand all the kvetching about Newport. Was every single passenger onboard that ship from the Northeast? How do you think all us Southerners feel about stopping in Key West on so many cruises? Get over it already.

I fly airplanes for a living. The airplane I fly holds 140 people.

I have experienced similar situations with a small minority of passengers (usually one or two) insisting on flying into a thunderstorm regardless of how bad the weather is and the obvious inherent risk.

During weather delays I always walk through the cabin, explaining the situation and answering any questions passengers might have. It never fails that I will have one or two people who insist they know more than I do about flying and weather and want to takeoff right now. I smile and explain patiently that I would much prefer to remain safely on the ground than to risk my life and everyone else's life on the plane just so they can make their meeting on time.

Human nature is fascinating and never ceases to amaze me.

It is all about them. How dare my airline or, more personally, I delay their flight. It never occurs to them that the weather is beyond anyone's control and that we all might die if we attempt to fly in certain conditions.

A vast majority of passengers understand this. The small, vocal, self-centered minority does not.

My airline pays me to make good decisions and to arrive safely with all 140 passengers each and every time I go fly. A cruiseline's captain is no different.

It's my opinion that every one of those cruise passengers should have thanked the entire crew for keeping them safe and out of harms way and providing an enjoyable eight days of cruising.

It is, however, only my opinion. I may be wrong.

Dr. Evil :)

I too being a flight attendant have been stuck either on the ground (7 hours in Detroit) and in holding patterns over Dallas or Chicago and the passengers just don't get it. They worry about connections and delays which we as flight crew can not control the weather. Passengers at times still think we can wiggle our nose and make it go away.

I do have to agree with everyone here that you should recognize the time you are traveling in the Caribbean and understand weather can play a big part in these late summer months. This is why most of our cruises are booked in late November and winter months.

I wonder what the lawyer would have said if they were in 20-30 foot seas for their entire cruise?

This was led by a lawyer???? You would think that if anyone read and understood the fine print in the contract, it would be someone with law school training. Could that lawyer have been hoping to talk the Captain into actually going to the original ports and hoping for injuries so he could pick up cases to sue Carnival?

The Captain's main responsibility is the safety of the passengers, the crew, and the ship. Communicating to unreasonable passengers who have no idea of the power of a hurricane is not nearly as important. And how can they complain about a lack of communication when the Captain met with their lawyer leader? If he made any mistake, IMHO, it would be granting that meeting and therefore giving that lawyer some semblance of respectability.

And then they complain of bad communication, so they are going to withhold tips from waiters and room stewards? Do they think those hard working people are responsible for either the weather or decisions made by the Captain or Carnival corporate? No, it looks like all they were interested in was getting as much free as they could!

Like many posters here, I live in Florida and Hurricanes are just a part of life. Having said that, most of our cruises are during hurricane season, with the majority of those during September - which is peak season for storms.

I have missed ports, I have sailed with 40 foot waves. It has rained sometimes, and itineraries have been reversed. Did this ruin my vacation? Of course not!! My only thought has been: Just get me on that ship! Once on board, I couldn't care less if we just sailed in a great big circle! I am on vacation, I am pampered, I can eat when I want, sleep when I want, and I have my choice of etertainment. If I never see land the entire time, so be it. That is the risk of cruising during hurricane season, so it is best to be prepared.

By the way, this doesn't just happen in the Carribean. Last year when cruising to Alaska, one of the things we looked forward to was sailing near the glaciers. However, the ice was thick and the winds were pretty strong, so the closest we got was about 4 or 5 miles. We could see the glacier, feel the wind, and admire the scenery - but we were too far away to truly experience them the way I had looked forward to. Again - not a deal breaker for me. Sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate, and that is what happens.

I trust the Captain, and the cruiseline that they will not put me, the crew, or the ship in any danger. I trust their decisions to change or forego a port. If you cannot do that or understand that, then cruising during hurricane season (which is 3/4 of the year) is just not for you.

If you can't handle missed ports due to weather, especially duing the Atlantic huricane season, dont book at all during that time. If you MUST book during that time, there are plenty of other locales on this great Earth of ours that can accomodate your need to cruise. And as for taking it out on the rank and file (the hard working crew), they have got to be crazy. These folks are there to make your vacation enjoyable. They ARE NOT the decision makers of the company and should always be treated with DIGNITY and RESPECT regardless of the situation at hand. I am so tired of seeing the "front line" people getting mistreated by those who feel they are better than all others....and that includes the cruise staff as well as airline and hotel staff. If you can't handle youself accordingly..............STAY HOME!

It is amazing to me that people want to die while on vacation. Obviously they have no idea what a hurricane is like. At sea a hurricane would be everyone's worst nightmare coming to life. Those who wanted the itinery to be kept as they purchased no matter what are the dumbest of the dumbest.

I have dealt with the public for decades and I'm not surprised on the amount of morons that were on that ship. They are just out of touch with reality. I really think a few morons started the refund idea to get something for nothing and to give nothing to the hard workers that have been attending to them for the seven days and having to put up with their every wish and "bull"!!

By the way, I just finished reading a review of a recent Canada/New England Princess cruise. Many passengers (of whom quite a few were from the NE) were apparently very disappointed to miss Newport due to bad weather. Imagine that. ;)

(P.S. There was no mutiny......and as far as I know, no credit.)

We typically cruise during hurricane season since our anniversary is October 1. There are bargains to be had during this time, but we know full well there is always the chance that our cruise will be diverted due to weather. In fact, we've been diverted 3 times and those cruises, for us, turned out to be the most fun! Of course we had all of our carefully laid out plans---but we decided to look upon the situation as an adventure. Those 3 cruises turned out to be the most memorable since everything was so unexpected. It's all in the attitude! You can whine or you can have fun!!!

There is a saying about coping with flight delays due to equipment malfunction: "Better to be on the ground, wishing you were in the air, than to be in the air, wishing you were on the ground."

When it comes to cruising and missed ports, I would say, "Better to be at sea, wishing you were on land, than to be on land, wishing you were at sea."

Emile

Cruises with such extensive itinerary changes and facing the danger of serious storms such as these should be CANCELLED and passengers have their money refunded. One port change is one thing but if the ship has to do this, a cancellation (or at least that option) is appropriate.

That wouldn't work either. I would be really upset if they canceled my cruise because someone didn't want to go to another port because of a hurricane. I would rather go on a totally different itinerary than have a cruise totally canceled. If they give an option to cancel that's one thing. But to totally cancel a cruise is another.

I would be leading the mutiny!!

If you pay for cruise to three carribean ports you deserve good ports!

Rhode Island and a cruise to a cruise port?????????? Are they nuts!!

They should of rerouted to Burmuda!

If they can't provide three good alternatives they need to refund!!!

You obviously know nothing about Bermuda and the size ships it can and can not accomodate

I suspect what happened here is a case of what I call "mob rule". The lawyer got upset, indeed thought perhaps he could sue or somehow otherwise be compensated, started to complain, got others to join him, and it escalated. Easy to do.

Was the captain at fault, too? Who knows, really. There have been multiple accounts. And as I said somewhere earlier in this thread, by the time he said something that people took offense at (did he really say "sucker" over the intercom??") he probably was fed up with the whole thing. As I would have been.

I think the people who REALLY have a complaint here...against the 300 protesters ..are all the REST of the folks who were going along, trying to enjoy their cruise without getting to the stops they thought they'd be getting to, understanding that acts of nature aren't under any human control. Not the whiners!

Yes, the ship might have appeased some folks with free drinks, or a hurricane party, or something..but I suspect that first they had their hands full trying to re-route, and THEN had all this protesting going on, trying to control that..and didn't have time, and then inclination, to do much but get the ship safely back to home port. Can't say I blame them at all.

These 'mutineers' are just a small group of selfish, whining crybabies that are always looking for something for nothing. They always look for oppurtunities to get something for nothing or at a reduced rate. I find these same people at airport ticket counters, amusement parks, restaurants, etc. They have no idea that their lives could have been in jeopardy and the diversion was for their own safety, or they just don't care.

:rolleyes:

Yes, passenger should be given some compensation good public relations. What would it cost the cruise line to give a coupon for 10-20-25% off a future cruise. Explain to me why the ships that left Florida on the 31st of Aug made it to St Thomas and there other ports.

uh.. Have you looked at a map recently?

Can you see how close Florida is to the islands?

Do you realize the islands are only capable of accomodating just so many ships..

Do you realize how many ships were out and needed a safe port?

I think the answer to all of the above is NO.. you dont know

:rolleyes:

Archived