Are onboard mutinies justified?

Erica@cruisecritic

Are onboard mutinies justified in the event of an itinerary change?  

2,615 members have voted

1. 1. Are onboard mutinies justified in the event of an itinerary change?

• Yes -- cruise passengers should get compensated for all missed ports.
    • Yes -- cruise lines don't give passengers another way to complain.
    • Maybe -- but only if the cruise is seriously re-routed.
    • Maybe -- but only if the cruise staff mishandles the situation.
    • No -- if you can't handle a missed port, don't cruise during hurricane season.
    • No -- cruise passengers need to read the fine print.
    • No -- you're still on vacation, aren’t you?
    • I've posted my opinion below.

I've not read this whole thread but just want to say that due to job responsibilities, the only month we are able to cruise is August. The Caribbean and Bahamas are the most affordable cruises for us in August, and we are willing to chance the weather. Will we be disappointed if we don't get the itinerary we paid for? Sure. But when we book a Caribbean cruise in August, or anytime during hurricane season, we go fully knowing we have to deal with whatever Mother Nature throws at us.

Hey people, it's a CRUISE!!!:) Like on water, not a shopping trip. You want to shop stay home and go to the mall.

Leaving tomorrow on a repo CRUISE, north atlantic. Gee 11 days and only four ports. It don't get much better than that!

C&D

This whole thing can be distilled into a few simple points.

The Captain of a vessel on the High seas has absolute authority over his vessel, his crew, and yes, his PASSENGERS. (The use of the male pronoun here is merely a convenience, Female Captains, of course, have equal authority :)).

Along with this awesome authority,comes equally awesome responsibilities. The Captain is personally responsible for the lives of all souls on board, as well as the considerable monetary and material resources contained in the vessel.

While, he/she may be required to answer to legal and corporate authorities once the vessel reaches port, while at sea, his/her authority cannot be questioned.

Persons rising to command of the floating cities that are modern-day cruise ships did not get there by accident. In every case, their skill, character and judgment have been proven, time and again. The authority granted to them has been earned and should always be respected.

Any crew member or passenger seeking to incite mutiny (in the case of crew) or rebellion (in the case of passengers) should be confined and put off the ship at the next port. No exceptions.

The absolute authority that the Captain of a ship on the high seas holds exists for a reason. Anyone not prepared to accept that authority should not set foot aboard.

Just my opinion.........but I just happen to be right.

You sure are right!!!

No, it's not good to reduce your tip, because it's not the fault of anyone onboard that the ship was rerouted, but face it: that's the ONLY protest a passenger can make. Whether it's effective as a protest or not, it at least makes the passengers feel like they've done something. The cruise line is being stupid by making this the only alternative.

The cruise line is not at fault for causing the passengers to reduce and/or withdraw their tips. How can you claim that the line is stupid by making this the only alternative for the passengers? I wasn't on the ship so I don't know how communication was handled, so can't say the CD and/or Purser should have done things differently. Also, I feel the Purser and CD are the ones to handle info, not the Captain. His job is to make sure we get from Point A to Point B and back to the home port.

I would not like port changes either, but I only hope I never am on a cruise with such losers as these disgruntled passengers.

"I'm not responsible for my actions; it's someone else's fault; I want what I want and I want it now--and damn the consequences" attitude that some people have.

beachchick

I agree. Some people must think that because they're on vacation or on a cruise that somehow certain realities just disappear. Like lost luggage, cabin is too noisy, kids running around, no deck chairs, nickel steak was tough, comedian sucked, there is a spot on the carpet, that fat bald guy is wearing a speedo :eek: ..wait that's me. And in the Miracle's case bad weather. All annoying yes, but don't let it ruin your cruise.

It's unfortunate a handfull of immature adults can ruin everyones vacation.

It was unfortunate the weather didn't allow for the Caribbean ports but that is definately a chance once takes when cruising this time of year. As on ones wedding day and the worries of a wash out are apparant remember there is nothing you can do about the weather. Sit back and enjoy the day just the same! I'm sure there was still lots to do on board and most of us cruise for the love of just watching the seas. I'm sure this aspect didnt' change at all.

I think people on the ship must have heard of past sailings in Hurricane season where people were given "perks" by the cruise line. On a past Hurricane cruise a few years ago my ship left two days late so the cruise line gave everyone on board credit, half off a future cruise, and put us up in hotels until the ship arrived. Very generous.

My family was on the Miracle ship and asked me why they received nothing. And I told them the cruise left on time, went to three ports, and arrived on time in NY. SO what compensation should you get? Nothing b/c the cruise line did everything they said they would.

Some people suffer from ID 10T syndrome (IDIOT). The captain and staff are better qualified to make decisions concerning the safety of the passengers and crew. When traveling one never knows what will happen. If they can't handle it....stay at home.

ED

I have a wrinkle to this question. We were on board the Enchantment a few years back and during the first night, one of the two engines failed. The ship therefore had to do the trip with the only remaining port side engine (or combo - whatever. I had an aft balcony and one screw was turning and one was not).

Therefore they canceled one of our port stops and we had 2 extra days at sea.

I particularly didn't care. but some people were royally pissed off.

Now this wasn't an emergency or a weather-related situation out RCI's control. It was however RCI-owned, operated and maintained equipment failure.

Should passengers be compensated?

(I'll post the answer below)

"I'm not responsible for my actions; it's someone else's fault; I want what I want and I want it now--and damn the consequences" attitude that some people have.
It's even more childish than that in my opinion. There are far too many people who think, "I'm disappointed, my feelings are hurt, I won't be able to do something I looked forward to," and rather than accept the situation with maturity, come up with charges that someone must be trying to screw them over and throw hissy fits until they get their way. They behave like toddlers and should be treated accordingly.

The Captain has the ultimate authority, on sea or air.... however, in my experience he should have communicated EVERY change and deviation to all of his passengers... people want to be informed, not surprised.... maybe this would have eased some tempers. A simple PA announcement once or twice a day with a little hurricane humor thrown in is appropriate and appreciated. If these people had a sense of humor they would have even organized a "hurricane" party somewhere on the ship and offer free cocktails like they do at the Captain's welcome and past guest party. There are lots of ways to avoid a "mutiny".

I totally agree with FireflyTx. I was on a ship that had to detour and the captain and officers did a great job of communicating all changes. We had a hurricane party and there were no issues with people being upset. Good communication goes a long way in a situation like this. (based on the previous posts it seems that the captain could have communicated more frequently - - don't know if this is true). That being said - cruising in hurricane season is always risky and the passengers should've have been more understanding.

Munity is not justified by any of the options listed in the poll.

However, with crusing becoming more mainstream than it was 10 years ago, somehow, the consumer needs to be better educated on the possibilities (port of call changes). "They should have read the fine print" and "That's the risk you take sailing during hurricane season" are both correct statements, and understood by most who have sailed before, or those who frequent the Cruise Critic forums. I believe the cruiseline could do a better job educating the consumer regarding the risks.

have not read the full thread so not sure if this has been said but I believe the cruise lines would have much more recourse in "disciplining" out of control pax if they put a "check off" when booking a cruise during hurricane season(maybe always) to the effect that ports may be changed, cancelled, etc due to safety/weather/emergency issues and make the pax "sign off" on it. (and have it documented on the confirmation sheet so everyone can point to it. So many people use the excuse (not justified but still) that "it was in the fine print and I didn't read it" when shown about the contract. I think the instigators and other rowdies should have been confined at least and put off even.

I agree that it must have been a great dissapointment for the vacationers, however, you CAN NOT risk the safety of everyone on the ship. What fun would it have been to ride those storm waves???!!! My first cruise was in August many years ago and the first part of it was riding on the tail end of a storm. It was NOT fun. Get real people, safety first.

Unfortunately, it is always a risky cruising during huricane season and this is why many cruise line offer good deals. This is a chance you take.

Newport is a beautiful place - one of my favorite. I hope everyone had a good time there, and for those who "made the best of it" Hurray for YOU!!!

In closing, do I think the cruise line should offer compensation, Yes, maybe a credit for future cruises, maybe a percentage refund. Do I think the passengers should withold "Tipping" - absolutely not, these people work very hard to serve the guest. They deserve more for having to deal with the mutiny.

For all us future cruisers - Happy Trails.

I fly airplanes for a living. The airplane I fly holds 140 people.

I have experienced similar situations with a small minority of passengers (usually one or two) insisting on flying into a thunderstorm regardless of how bad the weather is and the obvious inherent risk.

During weather delays I always walk through the cabin, explaining the situation and answering any questions passengers might have. It never fails that I will have one or two people who insist they know more than I do about flying and weather and want to takeoff right now. I smile and explain patiently that I would much prefer to remain safely on the ground than to risk my life and everyone else's life on the plane just so they can make their meeting on time.

Human nature is fascinating and never ceases to amaze me.

It is all about them. How dare my airline or, more personally, I delay their flight. It never occurs to them that the weather is beyond anyone's control and that we all might die if we attempt to fly in certain conditions.

A vast majority of passengers understand this. The small, vocal, self-centered minority does not.

My airline pays me to make good decisions and to arrive safely with all 140 passengers each and every time I go fly. A cruiseline's captain is no different.

It's my opinion that every one of those cruise passengers should have thanked the entire crew for keeping them safe and out of harms way and providing an enjoyable eight days of cruising.

It is, however, only my opinion. I may be wrong.

Dr. Evil :)

Since I cannot imagine ANYONE wanting or expecting to sail to a port under a hurricane or TS warning, I am inclined to think those "in revolt" were hoping for a free cruise. Sort of having your cake and eat it too! You know -- get this cruise for free or one at a later date (for free). HA! Hope springs eternal guys!

I can understand if ports were changed for no good reason that, despite the fine print, there would be some reason to be less than happy. Given the situation here, I don't know what else the cruise line could have or should have done.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this...they were hoping for a freebie.

Itinerary changes don't only happen because of hurricanes. We have had numerous emergency evacuations, engine failure and power failure to name a few. We have missed ports most of those times and another port was not substituted.

We cruise the Mexican Riviera. One of our stops was suppose to be Huatalco (sp), we had never been there. We had to turn back because of a medical emergency. Were we upset? No, but others were. They were saying, "Why was the passenger allowed to board if their health was that bad?" "I can't believe we are missing this port, why can't they just go to Huatalco and fly them to a hospital from there." It was ugly. People have become to much "It's all about me."

The passengers that removed their tips are just "Not right on so many levels."

My only complaint during a similar episode on the Crown Princess in 2006 was when the decision had been made to forego Bermuda (the reason I took the cruise in the first place) before we arrived in St. Thomas (the last port before Bermuda), but we were not told that St. Thomas would be the last port we would visit (so get your shopping done now) until after the ship sailed, and instead of stopping in the Bahamas or Florida as an alternative, we leisurely cruised up the US East Coast for an extra day at sea before docking in NYC two days later.

I suspected that the decision had been made before we arrived in St. Thomas when the sign at the gangway told the crew to be back on board at 3:00 because we sailed for NY at 4:00. The passengers had only been told that they were looking at "alternatives" to going to Bermuda, and would let us know.

The only concession we got was a refund of the port fees we had paid to dock in Bermuda. It was disappointing, but there was no mutiny.

What do you go on a cruise for? For many, it's the cruise experience. Being waited on hand and foot, lavish meals and on-board experiences, with 'glimpses' of the ports of call. If you're being provided all of the items promised, what do you really have to complain about?? Yes, it would be ideal to see the ports you haven't seen before, but the alternative is to possibly get caught in dangerous weather conditions. I've been re-routed on several cruises and still had a great time. I agree with a previous poster that if you want no chance of being diverted from scheduled ports, don't travel during hurricane season! Do you want a vacation with no risk of being subject to severe weather conditions? Dream on....:D

Yes, passenger should be given some compensation good public relations. What would it cost the cruise line to give a coupon for 10-20-25% off a future cruise. Explain to me why the ships that left Florida on the 31st of Aug made it to St Thomas and there other ports.

I voted for the one with the most votes, cuz it's true! I'm a first-time cruiser and I'd never ever go during hurricane season in those areas... I don't know why people do, frankly, when it's so high-risk.

I voted the same as you, but I have my fourth hurricane season cruise coming up next week. We've been lucky and haven't had to miss any ports, but maybe this time may be different since Grand Tuck got hit recently.

I'm not sure what is "high-risk" about going now. We may miss ports, we may miss the flight, we may miss the ship (knocking on wood right now), but that is why we buy trip insurance at this time of year. A movable ship is one of the safest tropical vacations for me instead of being stuck at a resort.

We had extremely high seas and winds on our first cruise from two hurricanes, but still enjoyed and went back.

(Maybe we should have sued because the volleyball court was closed until the last sea day.:rolleyes:)

I voted no above, however... I think the Captain and Carnival need to recognize their part in this. The Captain needs some people skills training. Major training! You don't call your guests "suckers" over the intercom! I don't think the passengers behavior would have escalated to the point it did, if the Captain had better communication/people skills. If he had made reports in a timely manner, and in an informative, non-condescending way, this would have turned out differently. IMHO

-Brenda

Mutiny is never an option. Just goes to show how spoiled we have become. If you want to show your displeasure with the cruise, boycott the cruise line for future cruises but don't ruin it for the other travelers. Hopefully the cruise line will do likewise with the mutineers and share their names with the other cruise lines.

The best observation yet. Carnival please release the list of mutineers. That way the rest of us in the hospitality industry can be forewarned and blacklist the bumbling fools.

Tha lawyer should have walked the plank, at the very least Carnival should commence procedure to have him disbarred

Math quiz: what do you get when you mix a lawyer with a perceived injustice? KA-CHING!!! Its the same reasoning that causes people to jump into cars that have just been in an accident, and claim whiplash

My feeling is, being a lawyer, he saw a chance to cash in, and others just jumped on the bandwagon

I resent that generalization and characterization. I am a lawyer, and have cruised during a hurricane (see my prior post), and did not have that reaction. :mad:

Your comment was offensive and implied that it was the lawyer's fault. How do not know he was not in there trying to diffuse the situation and resolve the problem before it got really ugly?

Archived