Boston - National Historical Park (USS Constitution)

LindaKE

How much time should we allot for this attraction? We are overnighting post-cruise in Boston, and would like to see the USS Constitution. If we have to choose between seeing the Constiution and other sights, I THINK we'd choose the Constitution. I would like to hear your impression of the ship and park.

I'm trying to figure out which hotel would be the most convenient to stay post-cruise before our early flight the next morning so would appreciate any suggestions. It would be a plus to be able to easily drop our lugggage off at a hotel before heading out to the National Historical Park. Also, what is the best way to get to the Park from the hotel?

Boston is a small city, so almost any hotel would be a short ride to the airport and the Contstitution. What date will you be in Boston? How much can you spend on a hotel? Boston hotels are expensive - some folks have been successful using Priceline.

I don't think you would have any problem seeing the Constitution as well as other sights.

Once you have focused on a hotel, I can provide public transportation directions, if you like.

I'm getting an early start - we're not cruising until next fall. Since we'll be there during the fall colors, I'm thinking I need to find something early and may not be able to get anything on Priceline. We would probably prefer medium priced lodging - maybe 3 star - and would like to have restaurants easily available. I hear about traffic backups in Boston so was thinking that a hotel near the airport might be an advantage when we are ready to leave the next morning. But we also want to be able to reach tourist attractions without a major effort or cost.

One question: Is the USS Constitution in the National Historical Park or am I getting myself confused?

Yes - but what date will you be in Boston? The day of the week makes a huge difference. I'm guessing Saturday leaving early Sunday morning. If so, traffic is absolutely not an issue.

http://www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=0,0,13994841479952359029&fb=1&dq=constitution+boston&daddr=24+5th+St,+Charlestown,+MA+02129&geocode=10457273871102760759,42.375225,-71.056138&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=directions-to

Getting to the airport from a downtown hotel is not an issue. However, you should look at the Boston hotels to get a feel for the prices. If anything appeals and you haven't gone into sticker shock, then I can give you the pros and cons of the ones you are interested in.

We'll be doing the new NCL itinerary which is Friday to Friday, so we'll be getting in on Friday and departing on Saturday.

Not knowing which areas to look at for hotels, I looked at some Downtown and some at the airport. Based on what I saw, we probably would prefer to stay near the airport for the price difference and for convenience on Saturday morning. There are several chains near Logan, all of which seem to be about the same price and much cheaper than downtown. I looked at the Hilton chain and the Marriott chain specifically as well as a few that popped up under "downtown" when I Googled Boston Hotels.

Thanks!

Linda, make sure you make your flight arrangements into Boston as early as you can. The Head of the Charles Regatta is October 17th and 18th next year. It does attract lots of people.

http://www.hocr.org/home/default.asp

Plus that is the same weekend as BU Parents weekend. Plus the hotels hold rooms for top dollar in case Boston makes the playoffs. I know, I am going up this year for BU. The cost of the room is ridiculous. I booked in Feb.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll watch carefully to get the first reservations I can get. Maybe we should try to move our cruise up a week. If I have trouble getting reservations I guess that would be an option.

I'll check out the Residence Inn in Charlestown also. Would there be any traffic problems getting to the airport Saturday morning from there?

If we do the reverse cruise, we would be going south to north the 2nd week of October. Would we get better or worse fall color going that way? I really liked the idea of the other itineray, but I don't relish the idea of Boston that weekend!

The weekend before is Columbus Day weekend so I don't see that being much better. Lots of people travel to this area for the foliage which will be near peak further north at that point.

Just book as early as you can. You shouldn't have traffic problems from Charlestown on a Saturday morning early.

You're getting good advice from everyone. All the fall weekends in Boston are busy - it really doesn't matter which one you are here. I would keep the cruise you are interested in.

Residence Inn would be a good choice - close to the Constitution and a super quick trip to the airport. It is probably closer to the airport than some of the airport hotels you are looking at. For eating out, all the wonderful restaurants of the North End would be just across the Charlestown Bridge. If you want to go other places, you can also walk to the North Station T stop.

I'd make a reservation I could live with and then watch to see if anything better comes up.

Let me make sure I am looking at the right Residence Inn:

Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Harbor on Tudor . They don't have one specifically labeled Charlestown, but this came up both last night and today when I asked for Residence Inn Charlestown. It appears to be near the USS Constitution.

Hello,

I live in the area and have visited the USS Constitution many times. The tour of the ship is free and there is a small museum in the complex. Here is the link to the official website:

http://www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/

Boston hotels aren't cheap, but don't count out getting a good deal. Some of the downtown hotels don't have rates out for Oct 09 yet, but there are a few good choices for what you are looking for.

You will most likely be off the ship by ten or so on Friday morning. That's good because traffic will be lighter.

If you want to stay in downtown Boston, there is a Hyatt at downtown Crossing, a Club Quarters on Devonshire St. Sometimes these business hotels have great weekend rates and you might snag a deal. If you stay in town, you may enjoy walking around the Fanuel Hall Market Place or up to Boston Common and Boston Public Garden.

The Hyatt Boston at Logan Airport would be another good choice.

That hotel often has very good rates, and a nice view of Boston, and it's quick water taxi ride across Boston Harbor.

Here is the link for HYATT:

http://harborside.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

There is also an Embassy suites at Logan Airport. which is showing a rate of 209.00 for date of Sept 25,2009. The Oct 09 rates arent' out yet.

Embassy Suites are nice because they include a nice breakfast, and evening drinks.

You may even be able to take a water taxi directly from the hotel to Pier 4 in

Charlestown, which serves the National Park.

Once you are finished touring the Constituion, you could head downtown to see some other historical sites. It's not far, just a couple of miles.

Here is the link for water taxi info:

http://www.massport.com/logan/getti_typeo_water.html

http://www.roweswharfwatertransport.com/

If you prefer to use public transportation, it's easy to get to the airport on the Boston MBTA. From Boston State Street or Government center station take the Blue line to the Airport stop. Massport and Hotel shuttles pick up from the station. Or, from South station, take the Silver Line airport bus.

One last thing: Here is the link for the Boston cvb. http://www.bostonusa.com/

I hope that you enjoy your stay in Boston

SammyM,

Thanks for all the info! We have moved our cruise up one week so we'll be leaving from Boston rather than debarking in Boston. The Embassy Suites does sound good - we can get a government rate since DH is a government employee and that's even cheaper. Since we shifted our schedule around, would the Embassy Suites still be a good recommendation? I'm thinking that it would be easy to drop off bags there then continue on to the USS Constitution and maybe see a few other sites before returning to the hotel. Would getting to the Black Falcon from the Embassy Suites be a problem on a Friday? I'm wondering if it would be better to try to get to the water taxi from Logan or just take a taxi. I have read that Friday traffic is bad, so would it be better to try to get a hotel closer to Black Falcon?

Embassy Suites looks like a nice choice. You can take cabs where you need to go, or you can take their courtesy shuttle to the airport and pick up the Silver Line. Perhaps the shuttle might also take you to the Blue line, which might be better for the places you want to go.

Getting from Embassy Suites to Black Falcon on a Friday should not be a problem. The cab can go through the Ted Williams tunnel and be only a few blocks from Black Falcon.

There will be taxi's coming and going at Black Falcon Pier. I was just in there last Friday and traffic was just fine in that area. What you have heard is Friday night getting out of Boston or coming in for a Game there is always lots of traffic! You won't be driving anyway, so take a cab then walk. Residence Inn or Embassy sounds like good options. Also, doing one of the Trolley tours is a great way to get around as you can get on and off. I believe it also includes a stop at the Constitution.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

Yes, Embassy suites at the Airport would be fine, and you may even get the weekend rate on Thursday night. A water taxi ride across the harbor to the USS Constitution would be the fastest and most fun way to get to the USS Constitution, but a taxi would be also be fine.

One other thing, the area around North Station/Boston Garden, is being steadily built up and there are a couple of hotels in that area that are very nice.

A Holiday Inn Express is scheduled to open in October, so by the time you come to Boston in October 09, you may find a good rate there.

This area of Boston is not fancy, but is is not bad either. The hop on hop off trolly's stop right across the street, at North Station

Here is the link to Beantown Trolly's. They seem to have a lot of stops in the area that you want to go to. If you get in early on Thursday, one of these tours might be nice,

Back to the question about Boston National Historical Park -- I was a park ranger there before I moved to Arizona three years ago. The park is divided into two parts, Charlestown Navy Yard (where I worked) and Downtown. The CNY has the USS Constitution, USS Cassin Young (WWII destroyer), and the Bunker Hill Monument and Museum.

I would definitely check on the hours and days that the USS Constitution is open for visitors before you go. The ship is still a commissioned vessel, so the U.S. Navy determines the schedule for when the main deck is open, and when guided tours are held.

There is a convenient water shuttle between the Navy Yard and Long Wharf (Marriott and New England aquarium area). You can also walk over the Charlestown Bridge to the North End to see the Old North Church and Paul Revere's house. The whole Freedom Trail walk is only about two miles, but you can take all day if you stop for tours, etc.

The website for the park is http://www.nps.gov/bost

If you stay at the Embassy Suites at the Airport, the Old Town Trolley does a courtesy pick up there each morning around 9:15 am and brings you into the city for free. Then, you could do the hop off/on option around town to see the sites. They also stop at North Station. The Beantown trolley does not.

• 4 months later...

Archived