Dancing With The Stars--New Season

kitty9

Smooth Dancer, I appreciate and agree with your viewpoint about many of us (me included) here fixating so much on how people look, what they weigh and what they are wearing. It gets pretty catty and uncallled for at times. Sorry!

It has to be very hard indeed to put yourself out in front of millions of people, in close up and HD yet! And especially hard when you're no longer young, like Susan. I know I'd be terrorized by even the thought of such exposure.

Kudos to everyone who is willing, no matter what their age, body weight or size, ability or agility, or lack thereof, to take the chance, try their best and put it all on the line. It takes courage, for sure. I admire people like you who go for it.

I, for one, will try to be kinder in my comments and will think before I type! (But, I still am ready for Cloris to go--but because of her attitude, not her looks.)

Samantha's gown is such a beautiful color, kind of a plum. It looks pretty with her hair worn loose. I'm not really fond of her thick, porcupine-looking bracelet.

I'm afraid Kim Kradashian just is not a natural dancer. She could become a decent dancer with time, but there isn't enough time in one season of DWTS. She has such dramatic looks. It is too bad she can't use that beauty to add drama to her dancing.

Wow! I have to praise Cloris Leachman to the skies. She can spin and keep her balance. She could allow hersef to be spun on her hip on the floor and not risk breaking it. She could get up and down from the floor (with her partner's help.) I thought she did so well for 82 and was such a good sport. LAso she wasn't suilly tonight.

So what do the judges do? They scold her for deficiences people in their sixties have. Oh well. She is still a role model for me. I hope when I am 82, I am as capable of doing what she did. I would be very pleased.

I'm not fond of Samantha's dress. While I love the color, the fit in the bodice is pretty bad. You can see where she's wearing the Hollywood Tape to keep the top from exposing her chest.

What was with Kym and Warren's costumes? It reminded me of a combination of a trash bag and a sadomasochistic matron's wardrobe. It just looked like someone into kinky bondage would wear. Just not attractive at all.

What was with Kym and Warren's costumes? It reminded me of a combination of a trash bag and a sadomasochistic matron's wardrobe. It just looked like someone into kinky bondage would wear. Just not attractive at all.

None of the costumes struck me as particularly attractive tonight. In fact, a couple outfits looked as if they had been recycled or nearly recycled from previous seasons. Maybe the costumers are worn out by the heavy schedule.

I've been a fan of this show since the very first season, but.... Is it just me or has the bar been set so high in past years that this season is kinda dissapointing? I just don't get the same sense of excitement as I have before. Things just seem pretty dull when Warren Sapp was the most exciting dancer last night.

I've been a fan of this show since the very first season, but.... Is it just me or has the bar been set so high in past years that this season is kinda dissapointing? I just don't get the same sense of excitement as I have before. Things just seem pretty dull when Warren Sapp was the most exciting dancer last night.

THANK YOU.

I was thinking the exact same thing last night...especially

when I was watching...oh I cannot even remember:rolleyes:

But he just stood there and his partner really did the whole

dance on her own...who WAS it? Oh Maurice maybe?

Did Cheryl totally dance around him?

And Kim? please....

And even Misty, who I thought was going to be good...showed

No emotion at all:confused:

I watched the whole show and noticed how low all the scores

were and really NOBODY has stepped up.

Now I know its only week 2 but they are not nearly

as good as in prior seasons.

Lets see what happens...wonder who goes tonite.

THANK YOU.

I was thinking the exact same thing last night...especially

when I was watching...

I agree...it doesn't seem to have the excitement this year....the three shows last week were a little much.
I agree, at this point none of them really stand out as winners. I think maybe they are pushing them too much at the beginning of the season. Hopefully it will improve, but so far it's not very exciting.

None of the costumes struck me as particularly attractive tonight. In fact, a couple outfits looked as if they had been recycled or nearly recycled from previous seasons. Maybe the costumers are worn out by the heavy schedule.

I thought the same thing about the long black Matrix coat. Didn't Cheryl wear it in the last season or two?

We were cruising last week and all I got to see was Ted being kicked off.

DH watched with me last night and and exclaimed "Whoa" when Kym's "girls" came on the dance floor.

Last night I was really disappointed that quite a few of the teams were hardly using any of the dance floor. 3 or 4 days was definately not enough rehearsal time for this group of stars and pros. Kim K's whole dance consisted of spin, pose, twist, pose. Where was the dancing?

I agree with all of you. There is no spark. Perhaps there is no fierce rivalry...two really hot and committed contestants who will do anything to defeat the other.

I hardly care who wins. Brooke Burke is lovely and dances well, but I don't get the "fire." Toni Braxton dances very well. Again I don't get great fire, because she is still concerned about her health. The eighteen year old guy seems competitive, but is trying even harder to be cute than be an outstanding dancer. Lance Bass has been stuck with the least capable pro-dancer because her coreography is lacking. I wish he could have had Editha or one of the other women. I wonder how the show chooses who will dance with whom.

The most competitive people there are the pro dancers, not the celebrities, but they are often paired with celebrities with no natural talent to dance and little committment.

I hope someone will wake up and be amazing.

I thought I was the only one that felt that way. There seems to no oomph this year. Hope I explained that o.k. Just sort of nothing but darn it I still watch.

I will agree that Cloris did try last nite. She was not being silly so maybe she will stay another episode. I bet it will be Rocco or maybe Kim that will go.

marilyn

Hi Marilyn:)

Oh that is who just stood there...it was Rocco!:eek:

Did he barely move or what?

Hi Lois, how are you. I really do like Rocco and he really really tries in my opinion but I just bet he is not on the popularity list as many people have not heard of him. I have because I watch the Food Channel a lot. So will not be surprised if he is voted off tonight.

Marilyn

I have to agree with everyone - the show is lacking this year. I really don't care at this point. Had to explain to DH the "theme" behind Lance and Lacy's dance - I guess he couldn't understand the words or something. I am tired of the "have to be true to myself" line - this is a competion and you need to compete, regardless of what you feel it should be. Dona

I have to agree with everyone - the show is lacking this year. I really don't care at this point. Had to explain to DH the "theme" behind Lance and Lacy's dance - I guess he couldn't understand the words or something. I am tired of the "have to be true to myself" line - this is a competion and you need to compete, regardless of what you feel it should be. Dona

Right on Dona. Feel the same way. I am getting tired of that statement too. It reminds me of when the subject comes up about formal nites and you know what that means. "It is my vacation and I will do what I want" statement. :rolleyes:

Marilyn

This was actually the first time I watched an entire show... The commericals are fustrating!!

The interesting comment I heard was that Karrie Ann told Cloris that she missed the "crazyness" and she should go back to it rather than her take the dance serious approach." I found it interesting as most of you seemed offended by her past performances. I have not seen them myself so cant comment.

I thought all of the rumba costumes were kind of strange.

I think that they tried to pack too much into the first couple weeks of the show .. the usual 1 or 2 sacrificial lambs have expanded to about 5 or 6 and it isn't a good mix. We know we have to slog through weeks to get rid of Cloris, Kym, Rocco and probably Lacey (and it is too bad that Lance got stuck with her) I mean when even Bruno is struggling to be his kind of witty .. you know it is boring.

The costumes last night were truly lackluster ..

I am hoping things will settle down next week when they get into a more traditional schedule.. but the jury is still out on this season.

I don't think I could watch this show--or most others--if we didn't DVR it. Boy does that spoil you!

I agree with most of you, there's no real pizass this year and no clear leader. A lot of really dull dancers--poor pros, trying to make them look good. There was a lot of just standing by the celebs while their partners danced around them.

I was glad to see Cloris tone it down a little. It wasn't her dancing that bothered me, though it the over-the-top activities outside of the dancing. Maybe she can hit a middle ground between funny and crass--if she stays around. (She shouldn't.)

The costumes are very strange this year, as if someone is trying to make certain dancers look bad.

I always hate when they do the paso doble so early in the season. It's my favorite dance and they don't have enough experience to do it right. And, while I enjoyed Lacey and Lance's dance for what it was, it wasn't a paso doble. So frustrating. I don't need hip hop. I don't mind a few hip hop moves in a cha cha, but they don't belong in a paso doble. And, while I think Lance can dance, I want them gone for being the "bad boys" of this season (though that can wait until a few of the non-dancers are gone first ;) ).

I was happy that Cloris toned it down tonight. I thought her dance was better than Rocco's and Kim's, so I don't mind if she stays another week if one of those two is voted off. But she needs to let Corky actually speak when he is being asked Samantha's inane questions.

IAnd, while I enjoyed Lacey and Lance's dance for what it was, it wasn't a paso doble. So frustrating. I don't need hip hop. I don't mind a few hip hop moves in a cha cha, but they don't belong in a paso doble.

I so totally agree. :mad: I would have scored them even lower than they received. Ballroom can be "screwed with" only so much!! :cool:

Well LOL... I too dont want to see a lack lustre season, but I think I have an an opportunity here!! This has been on my mind all day.

As you all know I am a comp dancer and I have read something interesting lately and would like a take on it from someone who simply enjoys watching dance. I sure would appreciate if you all will help me to get a grip on this... Hope I dont go on to long!

My husabnd and I spend an GREAT deal of time prepaing our dance for competition. I dont know, maybe 20 hours a week. Most of this time is spent on dance technique, from proper frames and foot placements to more elaborate spins and shapes (the comps we do does not allow lifts at all). It is just towards the final 2 weeks befor the comp we work on presentation, look at ourselves and realtionship to each other in the mirror, ect... We take this route thinking that if our dance technique is there once on the floor, bodies moving as one, the expression and love of dance will come naturally.

So I have this book written by a well known coach and dancers and he says this: He says that dance is no different than any other form of communiction in which studies show that people can only concentrate , non stop, for about 23 seconds before they begin to drift away. Further as in any presentation, an average person only remembers 7% of a presentation and that is the beginning some highlights and the ending... He has applied this to dance.

He breaks it down as a normal person only cares or sees 7% of techincal dancing, while 38% is personality, that is how confident you are, how you personally interpret the dance and how you sell it to the audience, and then 55% on the use of your body to the music, facial expressions, costumes.

I cant tell you how many times when we compete that we score low, judges were not craxy about what we brough to the floor while strangers stop us in the hotel hallways telling us how much they loved to watch us dance.

So back to DWTS, what is it that draws you to a dancer? Do you have an eye or even care about the technique they bring to the floor.... Do you agree with this author? LOL, I cant answer this question myself because I cant get past bad technique...

Thanks for any responses.

Well LOL... I too dont want to see a lack lustre season, but I think I have an an opportunity here!! This has been on my mind all day.

As you all know I am a comp dancer and I have read something interesting lately and would like a take on it from someone who simply enjoys watching dance. I sure would appreciate if you all will help me to get a grip on this... Hope I dont go on to long!

My husabnd and I spend an GREAT deal of time prepaing our dance for competition. I dont know, maybe 20 hours a week. Most of this time is spent on dance technique, from proper frames and foot placements to more elaborate spins and shapes (the comps we do does not allow lifts at all). It is just towards the final 2 weeks befor the comp we work on presentation, look at ourselves and realtionship to each other in the mirror, ect... We take this route thinking that if our dance technique is there once on the floor, bodies moving as one, the expression and love of dance will come naturally.

So I have this book written by a well known coach and dancers and he says this: He says that dance is no different than any other form of communiction in which studies show that people can only concentrate , non stop, for about 23 seconds before they begin to drift away. Further as in any presentation, an average person only remembers 7% of a presentation and that is the beginning some highlights and the ending... He has applied this to dance.

He breaks it down as a normal person only cares or sees 7% of techincal dancing, while 38% is personality, that is how confident you are, how you personally interpret the dance and how you sell it to the audience, and then 55% on the use of your body to the music, facial expressions, costumes.

I cant tell you how many times when we compete that we score low, judges were not craxy about what we brough to the floor while strangers stop us in the hotel hallways telling us how much they loved to watch us dance.

So back to DWTS, what is it that draws you to a dancer? Do you have an eye or even care about the technique they bring to the floor.... Do you agree with this author? LOL, I cant answer this question myself because I cant get past bad technique...

Thanks for any responses.

Well...I am going to try and respond and hope I make some sense.

I think (yes, sometimes I do that;) )I think you probably

look at dancers way different than I do! You have an "in"

and can see things I probably cannot..you have a more

experienced eye.

What brings me back? Well, up until this season? It is

totally entertaining for me. I enjoy the dancing, watching

them and when they seem to really click, it seems sort

of natural..they flow in step...and when its really good,

(in my opinion) its almost like they are making love on

the dance floor. I watched the dancing they have on PBS

a bit this weekend and those couples are totally awesome.

There are the costumes too and of course alot of it

is just plain fun:)

And then there is the tv factor.....I see what they do

on Monday and then of course on Tuesday I want to see

who is going home.

And I really hope the couples improve because I am as

disappointed as everyone else about this season.

Anyway....hope that wasn't too long winded and I bet you

and hubby are terrific. Oh wait, you are....I saw those dances

on U TUBE!;):D

Archived