Solstice Sea Trials - Sept. 28th

paradise08

I'm sure that others can be more precise, but from all that I have read and seen (TV shows on the construction of new ships) a new ship goes through rigorous tests of all of its mechanical and ancillary ship systems and equipment. There are specific maneuvers that the ship must be capable of safely performing at all speeds. Obviously the engineers go along to test the propulsion systems and all of the equipment that will be required for the safe operation of the ship in all types of weather. There are certain "scenarios" set up to test the ship's ability to safely respond. Sometimes mechanical defects are found during the trials and repairs are needed before the ship is turned over to the cruise line. Often there are several Sea Trials carried out. If my memory serves me correctly, there is an official group that is onboard that determines whether or not the ship has passed the various "tests" and authorizes the approval for the ship to be turned over from the shipyard to the owner. Hope that is helpful.

No 28th is not Sea trails yet. THAT is only bringing her down river from the ship yard and this will not be completed until Monday. Remember Meyer is is servela km up stream. To make it even possible to build ships up there a special tide contorling unit had to be installed on the river and a railway bridge has to be removed each time. Still it will be based on what happens with the weather before we know for sure if she will be brought down stream this weekend. It is a big party in the region everytime a ship leaves its birthplace.

I spoke with the lovely Sue Williams on Century who will be on Solstice and was to join it for the sea trials. Whilst her role in the trials will be to test and use front of house items she was dreading some of the trials as it does involve the ship being tested against all sorts of conditions, the captian will be seeking out less than ideal weather for some of the trial and so she was expecting to need a lot of bonine. So it sounded like a 4-5 week sail around and across to the USA lazy time NOT

Everything is tested like weather the max speed the engine put out are indeed those that the contract specifies. Do all safety procedures work, Sea trials are basically the test by the ship yard that prove that they have fulfulled their obligations as per contract before the ship is finally handed over to the ships owner.

One can say every nut and bolt is tested and viewed so that correcting, repairs etc. are made before accepting the vessel.

Everything is tested like weather the max speed the engine put out are indeed those that the contract specifies. Do all safety procedures work, Sea trials are basically the test by the ship yard that prove that they have fulfulled their obligations as per contract before the ship is finally handed over to the ships owner.

One can say every nut and bolt is tested and viewed so that correcting, repairs etc. are made before accepting the vessel.

Moeve:

Thanks for all your info on this. Meyer-Werft has a map on their web site which shows the times, etc of the passage. Give it a few seconds to completely load.

http://redaktion.meyer-neptun.de/exfiles/12/startseite/%C3%BCberf%C3%BChrung%20celebrity%20solstice%20english.pdf

i'm so excited to sale on her. this is the first in which i have really watched the ship being finished in the building process (i read about her years ago whe she was just in the plans but lost track because i didn't think i'd be sailing on her anytime soon, but we got lucky and sorta "fell into" this sailing!) and i think the sea trials are a very exciting time. especially if at the end the ship is finally turned over to celebrity and they can make the finishing touches on her! :D

i'm so excited to sale on her. this is the first in which i have really watched the ship being finished in the building process (i read about her years ago whe she was just in the plans but lost track because i didn't think i'd be sailing on her anytime soon, but we got lucky and sorta "fell into" this sailing!) and i think the sea trials are a very exciting time. especially if at the end the ship is finally turned over to celebrity and they can make the finishing touches on her! :D

Same here, it's pretty cool of Meyer Werft to have that webcam and share the build process with the general public, it seems as though the whole town of Papenburg gets involved when these ships float out and down the Ems, would be an awesome site to see in person, I know my excitement level increases at each new event with this ship, gotta love the pics of the process as well as Brandis and Andreas contributions - Thanks guys!!:D

Where did you see the 22 degree list? I saw his report on the Ruby. Is that what you are talking about?

Quote from Steve's blog:

"Scary Sea Trials

I NEVER made it to the sea trials of CELEBRITY SOLSTICE - instead, they bundled me into a lifeboat and put me ashore.

Just as well, probably.

I've been on stormy cruises where the ship has tilted a bit - the most was a ten-degree list which sent everything flying off the bathroom shelf.

But for the "inclination test" during the sea trials, they tip the ship over to something like 22 degrees.

That, frankly, is scary. No wonder Celebrity didn't want me filming the event.

It's reassuring to know, though, that these enormous cruise ships have been tested to way beyond what they will ever experience with passengers on board."

Phil

I'd be on the ship for some suitable remuneration. Rubber dinghy to get me there, rubber undies for when I'm onboard:)

Phil

Rubber undies... hee hee:D

Thanks for the reply... WOW... I wouldn't want to be on the sea trials either.

Great video----Can't wait to cruise on her..

not sure about the cabin design yet: the cabins looked a bit tight to me but they are supposed to be larger than M class & Mercury & Century..the closet looked smaller too! Do you think we'll be able to see that flat screen from the bed? I recall that on Century the Tv is situated to the right of the desk so it can be seen from the bed & the couch area..

Did anyone notice the large slanted "pillars" on the balconies--I think these are just for the ones near the top decks & hope ours on deck 9 do not have them..

all our questions will be answered soon after folks are on board the finished vesssel! really appreciate these videos & pics--keep them coming!

Archived