One CCC dress code question

Mike and Dave thanks for the info you received about dress codes on your last cruise. I'm with you Dolebludger and perhaps our idea of a golf shirt and Regent's idea is completely different. Otherwise, how do we explain the email response that cruzindiz recieved. I think the best way for now is to play it safe and take both types of shirts and go with the flow of what everyone else is wearing. Although as Richard said that means packing more.

Pat

Hi All,

My husband is wondering if it is acceptable to wear a nice golf shirt and slacks to Compass Rose on Country Club Casual nights. We are sailing in the Caribbean on Voyager December 1.

Thanks,

Susan

Susan, As a customer surely one can wear what one chooses. On board P&O's Canberra, many years ago with very strict "dress code" The captain admitted that the Australians, who insisted on wearing shorts in the dining room, (what horrors), ultimately there was nothing they could do about it! I think it would be embarassing to be out of line, when we sail on Voyager, Dec 29th my husband will sometimes wear polo shirts on CC nights. Enjoy your trip! Ann

Well, my main concern when preparing for a cruise is not the strict "letter of the law" of the dress code, but rather what fellow guests actually wear. My goal is not to just avoid getting "thrown out" but is to "fit in". I feel than any man who wears a nice polo shirt on CCC evenings, accompanied with nice slacks, dark socks, and leather shoes, will fit in just fine. Many polos are not cheap. I have one that was $50 on sale! And it looks good.

I'm wondering if what Regent is referring to is what most people would call a windshirt? Although I'm not a golfer I'm wearing one today. They are great for cutting the wind and adding an extra layer of warmth. They are a V neck without a collar. Designed to be worn over a collared shirt or with a T shirt underneath.

My son and husband both wore nice polo shirts on Voyager (2 different cruises) and on PG without any problem, plus on the Diamond "back in the day". I can't imagine that there would be any problem with this.

And I agree with above--maybe they are referring to the collarless wind breaker sort of shirt or t-shirt type of style of golf shirt.

When I look at my Caribbean pics from December, I don't see a single golf shirt at Portofinos, and that is the only place I took pics of CCC.

I just Googled golf shirt definition, and pretty much everything comes up with polo shirt. I'm still amazed that the line that allows t-shirts anywhere during the day and not just the pool deck would have an issue with a golf shirt. People definitely wear golf shirts on Silversea at night.

Since this thread has become fun, I emailed RSSC and asked if "golf shirts" are the same thing as "polo shirts". My response:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding our dress code on board the ships.

Regarding our dress code for Country Club Casual nights, "collared

shirts" means a button-down short or long-sleeved shirt, a long sleeved

collared shirt or turtlenecks.

Short-sleeved golf shirts, sometimes referred to as polo shirts with 2-3

buttons at the collar, are what are detailed as not being allowed. These

certainly are perfect for wearing prior to 6:00 p.m. when the evenings

begin on board.

So polo shirts are NOT allowed on CCC evenings and I have been breaking the code for several years without knowing it! However, note that the response says turtlenecks are just fine. It appears to me that the drafter of this code first took too much advantage of Regent's open bar policy!

Since this thread has become fun, I emailed RSSC and asked if "golf shirts" are the same thing as "polo shirts". My response:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding our dress code on board the ships.

Regarding our dress code for Country Club Casual nights, "collared

shirts" means a button-down short or long-sleeved shirt, a long sleeved

collared shirt or turtlenecks.

Short-sleeved golf shirts, sometimes referred to as polo shirts with 2-3

buttons at the collar, are what are detailed as not being allowed. These

certainly are perfect for wearing prior to 6:00 p.m. when the evenings

begin on board.

So polo shirts are NOT allowed on CCC evenings and I have been breaking the code for several years without knowing it! However, note that the response says turtlenecks are just fine. It appears to me that the drafter of this code first took too much advantage of Regent's open bar policy!

I think the key here is long sleeves, rather than collar/neck style/number of buttons.

although i guess long-sleeved rugby shirts would be frowned upon as well.

I think Wendy hit it, unless of course you want to wear a turtleneck.

that's what i'm sayin'.

i think it's: if you have buttons, they have to go all the way down. no buttons are fine, as long as there is a collar (this only occurs on turtle necks and sweaters, although I haven't considered sweaters in this equation). short-sleeved turtlenecks are no allowed, but only because they look silly. unless they're are completely sleeveless, in which case they should be worn by a woman, not a man.

yes, I believe this is it.

The confusion in this thread is a perfect illustration of what happens when cruise lines attempt to micromanage their dress codes instead of providing general guidelines and trusting their passengers to dress properly. Replies, such as the one received by Dolebludger, only add to the confusion because, invariably, they do not cover all situations.

According to the reply, the term "golf shirts" only refers to short sleeve golf shirts, so my solid color, long sleeve golf shirts should be acceptable even though they only have two or three buttons. How about a short sleeve golf shirt worn under a sweater? Every specific dress code rule Regent attempts to state only raises more questions.

Regent, you have classy passengers. Just trust them as does your sister line, Oceania, and you won't have any problems. Just my two cents. :D

Dave

I am always in the hot tub past 6 and just start watching the clock since dressed up people start walking by around 6:20 or 6:30, but they are open till 8 I think and nobody is going to wear dress up in the hot tub!

I am going to make a point of being very observant in December on CCC. I just can see in my pics no golf shirts. In the Med, some had them with jackets, but I figured they were cold. I have gone by the docs and not the web. They should know that not all their guests even know the dress code is on the website. I would venture to say some guests don't go to the website EVER.

DaveFr:

Amen, sir. And what about shirts made of pin point cotton (not polo material) that are short sleeve, have collars, and have only three buttons? What about a true polo worn under a sports jacket? What about (my favorite) a dress "T" worn under a jacket? What about a mock turtle neck?

The last post Ruth Richie, I do not understand pinpont and true polo shorts. I read information it is confusing to me I think people want to show off knowledge of shirts. As someone said we must have better to do with our time than this shirt discuaaion I hope so. sorry for errers in spelling I do not saay much but for silliness to Ms Ruth. go on trip an enjoy

Planner8:

No need to get nasty here. I was only trying to point out the same thing as you -- that Regent's CCC dress code wording is silly and makes no sense. And I agree that it is time to say good-bye to this thread with the advice that all cruisers just use common sense and try to look sharp within all codes -- regardless of what some "suit" wrote up for us.

Archived