Luggage limit on Alaska Land cruise tours?

Knightro

I will be doing a 4-5 day land tour (Princess - Kenai) in Alaska prior to our Southbound cruise. A friend mentioned that there is a luggage limit of 1 piece of luggage while on the land portion due to space availability on the buses. Is this true?? Do they store the other pieces until you arrive to board the ship?

We were on an Alaskan cruise tour this past May. I know we were allowed at least 1 suitcase per person on the land portion and checked the other bag with Princess. That checked bag was waiting on the ship for us when we arrived onboard. Princess was very efficient in handling the luggage. Enjoy your tour. We also did the land portion and then cruised. I think that doing the land first made the cruise even more enjoyable. Enjoy your cruise.

We were on an Alaskan cruise tour this past May. I know we were allowed at least 1 suitcase per person on the land portion and checked the other bag with Princess. That checked bag was waiting on the ship for us when we arrived onboard. Princess was very efficient in handling the luggage. Enjoy your tour. We also did the land portion and then cruised. I think that doing the land first made the cruise even more enjoyable. Enjoy your cruise.

When you say one suitcase per person, do you mean a regular size or just a carryon size?

If you have a train portion of your land tour, please pay close attention to the size of carry on bags allowed. Carry ons have to go under the seat, and there's very little room. We had two large duffels that went into the underside compartments of the buses and were checked into the baggage car on the train. We had a small backpack as carry on, and I wouldn't have wanted to mess with anything larger than that.

We did a 5 day cruisetour and then 7 day cruise in Alaska. When we arrived at the first hotel, we had a bit of time to organize bags and then the first night had to put the bags for the ship outside of the door. They were picked up and waiting for us on the ship.

We each got to take one full size bag checked from place to place on the land part. The carryon bag was limited to a backpack sized(at most) bag. Roller bags and the like were not acceptable. Some had purses or tote type bags, but the size was definately limited.

I my son and I had backpacks and it worked great.

• 2 years later...

I am reading a bunch on luggage and Alaska land tours/cruise. My question is for those who have done the cruise tour recently.

I only take 1 checked bag(with the cost these days and the airlines) and 1 carry on(meds,fragile items,etc).

So is there any need to separate luggage from the land vs. cruise if I only have 1 checked bag?

I will be going on tour first then cruise.

On our Alaska cruise tour, we were only allowed a carry on, no checked bags. Now, this could have changed, but our carry on was all that we were allowed to bring on the train. All checked bags were stored and then taken directly to the ship. The carry on had to fit under our seat on the train.

Edited by Toto2Kansas

I am reading a bunch on luggage and Alaska land tours/cruise. My question is for those who have done the cruise tour recently.

I only take 1 checked bag(with the cost these days and the airlines) and 1 carry on(meds,fragile items,etc).

So is there any need to separate luggage from the land vs. cruise if I only have 1 checked bag?

I will be going on tour first then cruise.

If you only have 1 check bag and a carry on, I don't think there is a need to separate luggage from the land vs cruise. You can have 1 check bag per person on the land tour portion of the trip. Princess will collect these bags and deliver them to your room at each of the lodges where you will be staying. I think you can arrange to have that bag meet you on the ship as well. We did the northbound cruise tour, so we had all of our luggage on the ship. For the land portion, we tagged one bag for the land tour and any additional bags were tagged to meet you at the end of the trip.

When you arrive at the first stop on the tour (for us it was the airport) each person will get 2 luggage tags for your larger suitcases. One is marked something like "to the ship!" (not sure what the wording is for tour after cruise). The other will be marked 'follow me!'.

Whichever bag has the first tag will be taken away on your first luggage collection and appear next in your stateroom on board. The other will be delivered to your next tour destination, in room, sometimes before you are.

Carryon space is very limited on the trains and buses as noted. I just had a medium size backpack and my camera bag and that was all I had room for except when we got lucky and were assigned a table up against the back wall of the carriage, where there was a nice ledge.

Also note that in some locations your luggage needs to be out the night before, so plan accordingly in terms of your carryon capacity to perhaps hold a piece or two of laundry to the next stop.

We did an Alaska cruisetour in May/June this year. We took 1 suitcase each with us on the land tour, and sent 1 each straight to the ship. I had my camera backpack as a carryon, and DW had a carryon bag as well, and both easily fit under the train seats.

The suitcases you take with you on the land portion are transported by truck from lodge to lodge, while you travel by train and/or bus. You may arrive a couple of hours before your bags, so make sure you keep your essential items with you in your carryon.

• 11 months later...
Please could you tell me if a small wheeled cabin case will fit under the seats in the train? I assume a regular backpack is too bulky to go in the space available.

Yes it will. I had my 21" wheelie under there. Your backpack would be smaller, no?

what do you do wth extra luggage if you are doing the land tour after the cruise?

Before disembark, you will be given tags to join you tonight(as in your first hotel stay) and a meet me in either Fairbanks or Anchorage depending on your tour pattern.

The join me tonight bag will meet you every night of your land tour and the Meet me in.... bag will meet you at your last hotel. ***You will have NO access to this bag for the duration of your land tour****

• 7 months later...

We are set to depart for our family crusie Friday. Sailing out of Vancouver and then the land tour. Great info from you all for the reverse trip. Any news for my way. So we would take our carryone only on the train and to the lodge? What happens to the large suitcase?

YIKES...had not heard of this before?

The carry-on is only for the bus or train. If you have just one suitcase, it'll travel with you from lodge-to-lodge, just not in the bus or accessible on the train.

While on the train, the reason why space in the compartment is limited is that you are seated at a booth-like table with two bench seats and a table between them. Two people face front, two face backwards. The space under each bench is not open; it's only open about a foot under the seat so anything larger than a small or medium-sized backpack will be directly under your feet. A purse and small backpack or tote will take up all the space under your seat. There's no overhead storage because the roof of the car is clear for viewing. You can leave your camera on the table, which is a pretty good size.

Edited by Pam in CA

The wording from Princess:

LUGGAGE INFORMATION

Luggage information It is important to remember to keep all valuables, medications, passport, travel documents and medical supplies on your person. Your hand-carried tote should be properly labeled with your name and address. As a three-hour wait is possible to receive bags once you arrive at each location on your land tour, please include items you will want immediately in your hand-carried piece. Please limit the size of this tote to 17x14x4 inches. For additional information on luggage, please refer to the Alaska cruisetour section of Cruise Answer Place on princess.com. You will receive your Cruisetour luggage tags upon arrival at your first Alaska city.

And from the Cruise Answer Place on Princess.com:

All Princess cruisetours include our hassle-free luggage handling service every step of the way. During the land portion of your vacation, we'll take care of transporting your luggage from one location to the next.

Important luggage reminders:

• Essential medicines, travel documents, valuables and breakables should be hand carried in your possession at all times.
  • All Alaska luggage tags for the land portion of your cruisetour will be distributed by Princess Representatives in Alaska. Luggage tags for the cruise portion of your cruisetour should be printed prior to leaving home.
  • Luggage fees imposed by airlines are the responsibility of each guest. Please check with each carrier prior to departure for specific guidelines.
  • Many domestic airline carriers now impose baggage fees for one or more bags and bags weighing over 50 lbs., so check with your carrier regarding weight restrictions.
  • Princess will make every effort to assist you in safeguarding your belongings. But remember, you are responsible for your things at all times. Princess is not responsible for money, jewelry, cameras, binoculars, documents or any other articles you retain in your personal control.
  • All luggage should have a sturdy personal identification tag that will not be lost or damaged in the course of typical airport and trucked luggage handling.
  • On journeys including air travel, luggage will be subject to a considerable amount of handling and we would recommend that your luggage be of sturdy construction.
  • Princess recommends that your travel protection is adequate enough to cover any possible loss or damage which may occur. Any loss or damage caused by Princess or an airline must be reported immediately to the responsible party.
  • For passengers who have purchased an Air Advantage package, please refer to your detailed itinerary found in the Cruise Personalizer® for additional details regarding luggage.

Packing for your Land Tour

Cruisetours involve many modes of transportation including motorcoaches, trains and sightseeing vehicles so make sure you take only the things you need to ensure comfort for you and your fellow travelers. There are different types of bags to consider for the land portion of your cruisetour.

Hand-Carry Tote/Backpack

• You'll want this bag with you every step of the way, so include only the essentials.
  • Items to pack in this bag include travel documents, photo ID, important medication, toiletries, camera, and any extra layers of clothing such as jackets or hats.
  • Your hand-carry tote bag should be a size that is comfortable to carry and should be able to be stowed under your seat. We recommend soft-sided tote bags or backpacks no larger than 17" x 14" x 4" with a zip enclosure.
  • Wheeled carry on cases that are used to carry-on luggage on airlines are too large and are not suitable as hand-carried luggage on motorcoaches and trains.

"Join Me Tonight" Luggage

You are allowed one piece of "Join Me Tonight" baggage per person on the land portion of your cruisetour. You will simply pack one bag and place luggage where instructed. Our handlers will pick it up and deliver it to your room at the next overnight location on your land tour.

• This bag will be transported separately from you and will not be accessible during transit.
  • Items to put in this bag include clothing, sleepwear, nonessential toiletries, extra shoes and anything else you might need at your hotel but do not need access to during the day.

"Join Me Onboard" Luggage (for guests who cruise after their land tour)

• Passengers who cruise after their land tour should pack a separate bag for items they will not need on land.
  • This bag is perfect for the items you may need on your cruise but will not need on your land tour, such as formal wear, dress shoes, or dinner jackets. On the land portion of your cruisetour, the dress code is always casual so there is no need for any formal wear.
  • All luggage is delivered to the first destination on your land itinerary. Upon departure from that city, the "Join Me Onboard" tagged bags will be securely stored until they are delivered to your stateroom onboard.

"Join Me in Fairbanks/Anchorage" Luggage (for guests who cruise prior to their land tour)

• Passengers who cruise prior to their land tour should pack all the items they used on their cruise and will not need on land in this piece of luggage. After disembarkation from the ship, these bags will be inaccessible until delivered upon your arrival in the final destination of your itinerary.
  • Please identify your chosen pieces of luggage (excluding the one "Join Me Tonight" bag) with the "Join Me" tags based on your final destination.
Edited by caribill

I will be doing a 4-5 day land tour (Princess - Kenai) in Alaska prior to our Southbound cruise. A friend mentioned that there is a luggage limit of 1 piece of luggage while on the land portion due to space availability on the buses. Is this true?? Do they store the other pieces until you arrive to board the ship?

Have you contacted the cruise company? That would be my first step before I trusted what a friend said.

DON

• 3 years later...

Leaving in a couple of weeks for a Coral Princess cruise land trip. We will sail out of Vancouver ( 7 days) and then do a three day land trip ( Denali, Mckinley, Anchorage). I understand the limitations of what to bring on the train. My question is about taking the same one large bag ( rather large 28") on the land portion. Hate having to deal with two bags, separating clothes etc. Has anyone done this and did it work out for you?

Leaving in a couple of weeks for a Coral Princess cruise land trip. We will sail out of Vancouver ( 7 days) and then do a three day land trip ( Denali, Mckinley, Anchorage). I understand the limitations of what to bring on the train. My question is about taking the same one large bag ( rather large 28") on the land portion. Hate having to deal with two bags, separating clothes etc. Has anyone done this and did it work out for you?

Asked in post #9 and answered in post #11.

If you only have one suitcase and one carry on for both land and cruise portion, then obviously, you don't have a second to separate out for the he land and sea portions. You would take your one suitcase and one carryon n both portions and tag accordingly.

We'll only have one suitcase a piece and one carry on a piece and as such will not be sending a separate bag onwards for ship only, makes no sense for us, we won't be packing that much.

You don't have to have a second bag for ship only, in whatever order you do the tour. It's a convenience offered to have one bag sent forward to the ship while you don't land portion with the other or vice versa. If you can fit your clothing and essentials in one suitcase and one carry in for both portions, then it's a non-issue.