Family Cruise... I can't decide?

travelndad13

Okay, I will try to make this short. I am trying to plan a family cruise for April Vacation 2010. My wife and I have cruised Carnival twice, My step daughter (17) and step-son (15) have cruised Norweigen Majesty to Bermuda twice with their Dad and his family. My daughter (6) has never cruised. At the time of the cruise, my step-daughter will be 19, step-son 17, and daughter 7. I am not really concerned with my oldest but my step-son and daughter, I want to make sure have a good time. I would like to try another cruise line. However, I have had good experiences both times on Carnival and I hear their kids program is really good. I have been reading the boards often and have come to the conclusion that people believe in choosing by itinerary 1st and then price. I don't mind spending a little more money to ensure a great vacation for my family. My questions are:

Carnival, RC, NCL, Princess kids programs, some are better than others, but would my kids have a good time in any of these or should I stay away from any?

I like southern and eastern Carribean itineraries, 7-10 days preferably out of Florida, any recomendations?

Any other input is greatly appreciated.

Ron

cruisinmama who is on the family boards, would definately say RCL newer ships, preferably Freedom class. Voyager class would be 2nd best. Most say for teens RCL has the most to offer. They have more sports, they have inline skating, the ice skating rink free time, the H20 zone, the mini golf, basketball, ping pong, of course the rock climbing wall. Just more activities for teens and their childrens programs are equal to Carnival's.

I would definetely pick a 7 day cruise on a newer RCL ship, even if you have to do the cheapest guarantee, its worth it.

Im doing voyager out of Galveston, which your teens would like. Princes are already discounted for 2009, but not yet for 2010. I expect guarantees to come down for 2010 eventually and Ill be on Voyager again then.

Obviously I'm expressing a preference based on our cruise history - and I will be careful to state up front that all expriences and opinons from everyone regarding their choices are valid. Crusing is very individulal. I can only give a viewpoint on one line, and therefore, cannot and will not speak against any other. (I have family members who have sailed on others, though).

That all being said, we've found the various age specific programs on RCI to be excellent. Over the years our kids (who are now 17, 19, and 24) have "grown up" with each of the various programs offered and always look forward to joining the programs on board. As parents, we've always felt - at any age - that they have been well cared for and have been able, as a result, to enjoy our own activities without concern.

We have also sailed on both of RCI's 7 day Southern itineries on both class of ships offered and have loved both. (In fact, this is one of our favorite itineraries - in particular the one that includes St. Lucia, Barbados, etc.) Examine the ship plans with regard to your family's on board activity preferences, the itineraries offered, and read all the reviews you can. No matter who you sail with, I think you'll enjoy the Southern Caribbean!

Having taken our daughters as they were growing up on Premier (Disney forerunner), Carnival, Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, Princess and Celebrity (starting when they were 3 and 5...they are now 22 and 24), and having heard their comments on kids and teens programs, ship amenities and other factors over the years...and also having cruised on some of the newer ships on Royal Caribbean as well as on Carnival, there is absolutely NO QUESTION in my mind...(And, of course, this is MY opinion--others may differ, we are all different)...

LOOK strongly to Royal Caribbean--The new Oasis of the Seas, the Freedom Class ships Freedom of the Seas or Liberty of the Seas) or the Voyager class (Voyager, Mariner, Navigator, Adventure or Explorer)...If I were 17, 19 or even 7, these would be my DREAM SHIPS--the amenities are unmatched on any other cruise line--Ice Skating, Surfing, Mini Golf, Rock Climbing, etc. The kids will not want to leave the ship...And they are not bad for adults either...For example, one byproduct of having an ice rink is that they also have a nice bonus in entertainment-- a first class figure skating show...

The kids and teen programs are outstanding (My kids' favorites) and the demographics are pretty good even for the 19 year old (who is too old for any cruise lines' teen program)...

My 24 year old (and her old college room mate) just went on her first cruise without Mom and Dad--on the Freedom of the Seas...The two girls had the times of their lives...

Good luck...

I would vote 110% for Disney if it were just the 7 year old going. Disney offers some of their lowest rates in April (excluding Easter week of course)...comparible to the other lines for the same itinerary. And their private island is THE BEST!

I would definitely consider the Oasis of the Seas! She will be nice and new and from what I have read she will be THE ship to sail.

Happy cruising.

My experience is that the children will enjoy the cruise and while one kids program might be better than another all of the ones you have mentioned have kids programs. So, now start to narrow the list down based on the itinerary, etc.

Keith

Archived